• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Cancel Half-Life 3

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm more miffed about the Patreon changes and the thread here didn't get much traction. It seems really shitty, especially for those that do $1 pledges, and from what I've see on some other sites people are pulling their pledges and the Patreon tracking site is showing noticeable declines for lots of content creators.

There has to be a bigger story here on why they did this and how content creators are reacting to it.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm more miffed about the Patreon changes and the thread here didn't get much traction. It seems really shitty, especially for those that do $1 pledges, and from what I've see on some other sites people are pulling their pledges and the Patreon tracking site is showing noticeable declines for lots of content creators.

There has to be a bigger story here on why they did this and how content creators are reacting to it.
I'm unfamiliar with this. Got a link?

Bl@de

vbgF.gif

wondermega

Re: patreon changes (thread now seems to be about that partially) - what a mess. Are they worried about sustainability of their service itself, or just getting greedy - or both? I kind of hope it falls flat on its face, but not to the detriment of those I support through that service.

HL3 is probably not even in any development anyway. It's just vaporware by this point, it's never coming out. I gave up waiting on the game back in 2010 or so.

We all know, that if there ever will be something HL-related from Valve, it won't be a sequel to that cliffhanger. Even if they will develop another Half-Life, it makes no sense for it to be a sequel, it would be a reboot.

trugs

Neo Member
Announcing it cancelled will only negatively impact Valve. Keeping the game in limbo keeps the buzz going. And let's face it, it sways positively for them on the whole.

Tommi84

ya but what if it isn't
It is. The sooner you accept this, the better. Valve gets too much money from lootboxes and Steam to bother with a game that, inevitably, will damage the Valve's reputation - because no matter how good it is, it will be a disappointment.

bbylean

Neo Member
Well, they did heavily state that these three games they are working on are big games, full titles, and Gabe Newell has stated that hardware and software technology are always hindered by "a function of time".

My believes are that the reason for them not cancelling HL3 would be because it always keeps Valve in the spotlight, no matter what they release, its good PR.
OR that they actually do intend to release it but the "function of time" limit has been that the technology they sought after hasnt been there yet, and now it might be, with virtual reality. Or a combination of the two.

The Half-Life games have always been somewhat revolutionizing on the technological side of things and VR would be an excellent platform to release it with.

I am one of those believers Sterling is mocking in the video, the train never stops.

Sailent

Banned
The Half-Life games have always been somewhat revolutionizing on the technological side of things and VR would be an excellent platform to release it with.

If they release it for VR the saga will die in no time.

In a case they release it for VR? 10 years (or even more) waiting and now they are telling me that I have to pay 800 dollars to play it? Go to hell valve.

Also, they do not need to release games to earn money, which is what Gabe wants, he doesn't care about the fans, he runs a company, all he want's is G-Man, the G means green.

bbylean

Neo Member
If they release it for VR the saga will die in no time.

In a case they release it for VR? 10 years (or even more) waiting and now they are telling me that I have to pay 800 dollars to play it? Go to hell valve.

Also, they do not need to release games to earn money, which is what Gabe wants, he doesn't care about the fans, he runs a company, all he want's is G-Man, the G means green.

They could in theory release it with a regular mode but simply state that the optimal way to play is in VR. That would satisfy everyone and also tease people into adopting a VR headset.
Hell, if they do it good enough and the experience truly is fantastic I'd probably be sold for one. I mean there is a lot of potential to be had in virtual reality, it just feels a little gimmicky at the moment.

But they for sure do love money, its a company after all.

I'm fairly sure the revenue generated from Steam, CS:GO and Dota2 is enough to keep Valve fat and happy for a long time. I said goodbye to the hope for traditional games from Valve long ago.

jpadula

Neo Member
How it is vaporware when they never announced it? ...

Beeing Valve I would NEVER release HL3; expectation vs reality would be harsh; hype]antihype trains are too violent for stuff like that these days,

zero sense for them; just see the big picture (almost pun)

Valve doesn't seem to make games anymore, what happened? I think Dota 2 is the last and apparently they have some VR games in the works but it's been almost 5 years before any major game from them.

anglis84

Neo Member
Was Half-Life 3 ever confirmed as a game? Or did fans just assume a Half-Life 3 was being made? If it was never announced as an actual game how can it be canceled?

I personally don't recall Gabe ever saying they were working on HF3. I played all the Half-Life's when they came out. All I remember Gabe saying were the Episodes would be all we got as far as a HF3 was concerned. Of course we did not get Episode 3 so I think fans just assumed they were working on a full fledged HF3.

Gabe has pretty much stated over a decade their was/is no HF3.

Edit: I'd like to add I have an unpopular opinion. I don't think Valve cares about making games and truthfully never did. I think Half-Life 2 was practically created as an advertisement for the Steam platform. People get mad that all the other publishers/developers made their own platform but in reality Steam started this. Gabe is a business man and he's not in the business to lose money or face. He knows he's printing money practically doing nothing.

TimExecutor

Neo Member
My general opinion on HL3 is that Gabe should only greenlight the project if he believes his team can create a masterpiece with the same level of influence as HL1 and HL2.

Never say never.

aliengmr

how it supose to be cancelled, if it was never anounced?

It was announced, sort of. There was a little sneak peak for EP. 3 before Valve went dark. After that there was rumors of the third episode being a full on sequel.

For all intents and purposes it was cancelled. Valve said no one is working on it and if someone has a great idea that motivates the team, they'll do it.

Cancelling it is rather redundant at this point. They aren't going to say "there will never be a HL3." because I don't think Valve actually believes there will "never" a 3rd.

#1 No company should ever make any change to anything they do because internet was let down that you announced a game that wasn't the one they were speculating. Likely speculating with logic that makes zero sense whatsoever.

#2 Half-Life 3 imo... we should worry if it comes out. It means Valve's back is against the wall, Steam is undeniably failing, all of the ever green titles have died, and no new IP is working. HL3 imo is like a trump card. It's like Nintendo and the Smash community... they still have Melee HD as an option if things go horrific for the franchise and it's on the verge of absolute ruin and collapse. Both titles imo are like guaranteed rainy day hits and if they show up it means a truly rainy day has finally come.

goldenpp72

I do think Valve should at least come out and just say the fate of the series for the short/mid term for fans. Fans of Half Life helped build what the company is today and should at least be given a solid answer on the state of the series. It doesn't have to be a definitive never, just a nothing is in the works for the foreseeable future kind of thing.

Ubername

Banned
I think all it would take for Half Life 3 to be made is for every single journalist in the world to join forces and ask constantly ask gabe when it is coming out. Such an annoyance he would surely succumb to

LoveCake

Maybe the reason for no Half-Life 3 is because Valve feel that it wouldn't be able to surpass Half-Life 2, if they did announce and subsequently release Half-Life 3 it simply would not be able to live up to the hype.

This is a weird topic. Its been what 13 years since HL2 came out? The problem is Valve is running out of time for people to be responsive to HL3, yes there are lots of us who remember HL and HL 2, as good as they were, they are aging, and the audiance is aging. There is a whole new generation of gamers since we played HL2 that has no interest, want or need for HL3. The farther we get away from HL2 the more true that is

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Would you guys imagine the effects it would cause if there was a surprise trailer next E3?

I mean, people would go TOTALLY nut and insane.

A nice sci fi and very atmospheric trailer showcasing the story and character until Gordon appears at the end, ultra realistic design, brand new graphic engine.

magnumpy

duh, valve makes all the money+ just from running steam. with or without half life 3. the amount of extra money they would make from half life 3, while it has a certain undeniable appeal for gamers (us) the amount is just a drop in the ocean compared to steam. so I don't see it happening. but I could be wrong, but I don't care if I get to play half-life 3! prove me wrong valve I dare you!!1 xD

Kadayi

Banned
Halflife 3 has never been announced. The assumption of its likely existence arose an explanation over time for the non-appearance of HL2: Episode 3 generated by some fans and then fuelled by the gaming press. As evinced by Marc Laidlaw's Blog post back in August of this year (http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/). There was clearly a roadmap for how HL2: Episode 3 would play out and conclude.

Why didn't it happened? I doubt we will ever truly establish the why, however at the time of Laidlaw's blog post a friend of mine elsewhere did offer up this interesting observation: -

The Borealis part makes me wonder if Valve went back to the drawing board because of Singularity. In February 2008, Newell said they have something we had never seen before. That summer Singularity was announced and the first teaser featured a similar time-travel mechanic.

Never played Singularity myself, so I can't comment on its intricacies, but the idea that some other developer came in and ate Valves gameplay lunch is an intriguing one for sure.

As for the likelihood of Valve ever concluding the storyline, personally, I don't see it happening. I think far too many of the original staff who may have cared have left the company now and I'm not convinced that the much-lauded cabal development model and flat management structure is geared towards it due to the increasing scale and demands of AAA development. Valve long since stopped being a developer of single player games and I don't see that changing anytime soon, short of a major restructuring internally to a more traditional hierarchy, but I suspect pride and hubris on Newells part mean that is unlikely to ever happen whilst he steers the ship.

Top Bottom