• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
HDTV - Controller lag was fully explained in the previous thread in community. I don't have links handy right now.

One thing that you guys keep missing is the fact that all these E3s gameshow game promos, demos whatever, they don't have the controller sync system enabled, that will come at retail obviously.

Bottom line is:
If you play with GamePad only: no lag
If you play normal with TV and Gampad, the level of crappiness in HDTV firmware decides the latency for all outputs.

If you want no latency for sure use CRT or PC monitor. HDTV software sucks, especially the cheap ones.

It'll be very fun people comparing their sync reports and performane on HDTVs to find out broadly which manufacturer has the crappiest firmwares.

And I think the OP should then paste in the big things explained in the previous thread, i should see to it tomorrow.

TunaLover

I guess the game that Ideaman is talking about is AC3, since it got a lot of worried post about it not featuring all the effects, detailed textures, and stable framerate as PS3 version.

Stewox

Banned
The reason this happens is because Nintendo wanted to make sure there was no delay on the GP at it's maximum range of 500ft. Because of this, as the controller gets closer to the TV, it updates quicker than the TV. This should be obvious though.

Ah this is just the most ridicolous thing I've heard anyone say about this topic. And anone quoting you adding to that just more wrong.

I will clear this out as well as other 10 pages ... still need to read through them... tomorrow, now i sleep!
Typing from Wii, can't do anything here.

Just someone find it or at least just put the obvious words into google, it's like at ~350 page in the WiiU community thread, the flippers floppers one that was renamed twice.

There's going to be one out of the blue Wii announcement.

I can feel it in my tail bones. A dull tingle. The last time this happened Chibi Robo was given the greenlight in America. So I expect interesting things.

*crosses fingers for Captain Rainbow 2*

Mithos

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

Interesting news... ;) ;) ;)

Solo Act

Has anyone read anything about being able to use the Wii U vertically? It seems like both sides are rounded, but maybe a stand of some kind? Just curious if I missed it somewhere.

Medalion

Banned
I was banned during the time, but I still checked in on GAF during it all... the massive reactions of the like of "FUCK NO I AM NEVER EVER BUYING A WII-U AFTER THAT PRESENTATION... THEY MANAGED TO CONVINCE ME WHO WANTED ONE TO NEVER BUY ONE"

Hyperbole is so drole

I was banned during the time, but I still checked in on GAF during it all... the massive reactions of the like of "FUCK NO I AM NEVER EVER BUYING A WII-U AFTER THAT PRESENTATION... THEY MANAGED TO CONVINCE ME WHO WANTED ONE TO NEVER BUY ONE"

Hyperbole is so drole
Scribble has given me interest in a purely selfish way.

But other then that I still haven't been given a reason. And unless I happen to luck into one or some cash I doubt I buy one at launch. But it's a Nintendo system. I'll probably want one some day anyway.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Apparently Famitsu has a "amazing" Capcom scoop next week.

Because I am a eternal optimist, I am predicting Monster Hunter Wii U.

Apparently Famitsu has a "amazing" Capcom scoop next week.

Because I am a eternal optimist, I am predicting Monster Hunter Wii U.

I don't believe any Japanese announcement for WiiU happens before Iwata holds his very own event. And the Capcom WiiU game will obviously be Resident Evil 5 Chronicles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't believe any Japanese announcement for WiiU happens before Iwata holds his very own event. And the Capcom WiiU game will obviously be Resident Evil 5 Chronicles.

We'll see. Last year MH 3G was also announced in Famitsu a week before the big 3DS September conference.

Has anyone read anything about being able to use the Wii U vertically? It seems like both sides are rounded, but maybe a stand of some kind? Just curious if I missed it somewhere.
I dunno, the WiiUs I saw had vents taking up almost the entire side of the machine... they'd have to engineer a pretty fancy stand to allow it to breath with those facing down.
Edit: they even had fins protruding to keep your wiiu vents far enough from the wall that they could breath...

Daschysta

I think Monster Hunter U as well.

Games that big have been revealed before in Famitsu, before Nintendo had an event or anything.

It also makes perfect sense, Nintendo marketed Tri and it sold very well in the US for a monster hunter, now that the Wii U should have substantially better online capcom will team up with Nintendo to make the series more relevant in the West.

Pretty sure it won't be. a 3rd party stand isn't out of the question but the horizontal Wii redesign was seen as a transition to Wii U.

I dunno, the WiiUs I saw had vents taking up almost the entire side of the machine... they'd have to engineer a pretty fancy stand to allow it to breath with those facing down.
Edit: they even had fins protruding to keep your wiiu vents far enough from the wall that they could breath...

I think the left hand side doesn't have vents so a stand would go there if it's possible.

HegeMon

Neo Member
Now i need to sleep :p

Ideaman, Ideaman, wake up! I need to ask you about ... gyro calibration. Wait, don't roll over! I heard even as recently as the Denver "experience" that the Nintendoland motion controls STILL needed way-too-frequent calibration. I know you're a Virtual Reality dreamer, like me. (I can't wait to try Oculus Rift.) And our little tantalizing bit of VR with the Gamepad isn't going to happen with a randomly gyrating gyro. So, I'm wondering: do your connections know whether or not the latest SDK gets those sensors working properly? Merci!

Pineconn

Ideaman, Ideaman, wake up! I need to ask you about ... gyro calibration. Wait, don't roll over! I heard even as recently as the Denver "experience" that the Nintendoland motion controls STILL needed way-too-frequent calibration. I know you're a Virtual Reality dreamer, like me. (I can't wait to try Oculus Rift.) And our little tantalizing bit of VR with the Gamepad isn't going to happen with a randomly gyrating gyro. So, I'm wondering: do your connections know whether or not the latest SDK gets those sensors working properly? Merci!

You'll fit in here about as well as Thunder Monkey.

Take that as you will. :)

This thread is smelling hope!! Good!!

The last few pages read that way, don't they? It's funny that after the mass disappointment following E3 and being let down so many times before, we're now on the eve of a Nintendo Direct and a press conference, and so allowing ourselves to get hyped again.

I never pin all my hopes or judge a system based on one presentation before it launches, but I do hope Nintendo goes all out with the ND and especially the Wii U conference. Can't wait to see what Japan is cooking up for the system. If it can't get third-party support the way 360/PS3 does I hope it gets more of the mid-budget, quirky fare we saw on Wii and DS so often.

Glass Joe

I'm hoping the reports of calibration issues stem from them being demos in a somewhat uncontrolled environment. Tons of people passing controllers back and forth, probably some people starting mid-game, etc. In a living room in a normal setting, I'm sure it will be at least as manageable as a Motion Plus if not better.

I'm more concerned about possible signal issues with the gamepad screen, as it "working perfectly" seems to be taken for granted so far. These demos have the signal going through wires, don't they? What happens wirelessly if you're 15 feet away? 30 feet away? 100 feet away? When you lose signal quality, does resolution suffer? Or does it prompt the home menu if it's not perfect signal strength? Will it start lagging either over time or when far away? Or (worst case) could it cause a crash if there's a communication problem or the battery dies? Can any devices potentially cause interference? Etc.

I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't bank on that feature so hard if there was any doubt, but that's what makes me most curious.

Medalion

Banned
question: is anybody really going to notice seven frames of lag if the game is runnig at 60FPS?

this_is_neogaf.gif

Why are you talking to yourself lol? Also any high twitch games (fighting and FPS mostly) a 10% lag would be noticable

When I play MK9, Sould Calibur 4 or Halo, I barely even notice lag. I only notice it if I smack my stick and pay attention. Supposedly the Xbox 360 has a lag of about 133ms vs the Wii U's 116. It shouldn't be THAT bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom