• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wonder if I should dive in straight on nightmare, I don't think there is an inferno trophy ? I'll probably get destroyed plenty of time but I made it in Origins.

Nightmare and Inferno share the same trophy I believe. But hey if you are gonna go that far might as well fight drugged up on crack monsters ;)

Blue-kun

Considering they've actually started to tease a remake of V, whereas they haven't even mentioned a word about the next brand-new game, I think we'll see the V remake first. I'm guessing in 2019, with a Tokyo Xanadu sequel being Falcom's big 2018 game.

Where did they tease V? You mean the blade thing at the start or is there something else? Because, I mean, the same way there's references to this, the latter half of VIII drops some not very subtle clues of where Adol is most likely going to head "next". They dropped waaaaaay too many references for it to be simply 'a reminder', and seemed to be setting up the next game [in the timeline] at several points there.

preta

Where did they tease V? You mean the blade thing at the start or is there something else? Because, I mean, the same way there's references to this, the latter half of VIII drops some not very subtle clues of where Adol is most likely going to head "next". They dropped waaaaaay too many references for it to be simply 'a reminder', and seemed to be setting up the next game [in the timeline] at several points there.

Not only the blade, but Kondo's been saying a fair bit lately that "if" Falcom remakes Ys V, they'll definitely want to incorporate more of the material from the design documents, which had a lot of stuff that didn't make it into the game. One of the most notable things is that the design documents have Dogi being present for the events of V, while he does not appear in the game itself at all. In VIII, they make reference to the design documents' version of events, with Dogi having been there.

Tohsaka

Considering they've actually started to tease a remake of V, whereas they haven't even mentioned a word about the next brand-new game, I think we'll see the V remake first. I'm guessing in 2019, with a Tokyo Xanadu sequel being Falcom's big 2018 game.

I hope Tokyo Xanadu 2 does happen that soon, really liked the first one.

preta

I hope Tokyo Xanadu 2 does happen that soon, really liked the first one.

It's certainly happening at some point. They've said that they had been considering the possibility of a sequel if it sold at least 50k - their initial (Japanese) sales projection. It sold 150k. Some of the new eX+ content points toward one as well. I expect 2018 because that keeps up the pattern of the last few years of Kiseki > not Kiseki or Ys > Ys.

Ascheroth

He had to of finished that already, lol.
Post-launch-support is an ongoing project. And after that he'll probably be working on CS2.

Anyway, I've been playing on Hard. Doing my first Seven run on Nightmare and that's turning out fine, but I think with VIII being lengthier and having more story focus I think I don't want to be hitting those boss walls that strongly :)

Thoraxes

It's certainly happening at some point. They've said that they had been considering the possibility of a sequel if it sold at least 50k - their initial (Japanese) sales projection. It sold 150k. Some of the new eX+ content points toward one as well. I expect 2018 because that keeps up the pattern of the last few years of Kiseki > not Kiseki or Ys > Ys.
There's an interview from a magazine around September 2016 where Kondo said he'd like to do TX2 after Sen III. Can't link to scans here though, obviously.

hawk2025

This is one damn impressive CE.

Wish they could all be this premium without jacking up the price too much. Well done, NIS.

AniHawk

This is one damn impressive CE.

Wish they could all be this premium without jacking up the price too much. Well done, NIS.

i talk with the team that worked on this (they have really good training from a specific class that i took in college). they spent a lot of time and research on the material and contents to make sure it could feel as premium as possible. they wanted it to be the best ys collector's edition (out west at least), which wasn't a simple affair. i think they hit their mark.

AniHawk

It made me wonder if it was the end game sword of V or just a screwy mishap on their end.

yeah i don't know if it's supposed to be greek. isn't there a whole armor set in the same line? i doubt you're supposed to have a 'straight' shield and 'straight' armor. keeping it with the egyptian theming and calling it 'isis' ____ makes more sense.

preta

yeah i don't know if it's supposed to be greek. isn't there a whole armor set in the same line? i doubt you're supposed to have a 'straight' shield and 'straight' armor. keeping it with the egyptian theming and calling it 'isis' ____ makes more sense.

Well... it's definitely not meant to be "Isis" at least - the katakana is different from how that would be spelled in Japanese.

After playing the demo in nightmare, I feel that's my choice for playing this game. Overworld monsters seemed pretty easy to handle while still being punishing if you aren't playing right and boss fight was a challenge.

AniHawk

Well... it's definitely not meant to be "Isis" at least - the katakana is different from how that would be spelled in Japanese.

i don't know the katakana so i can trust you know what you're talking about there. it just seems unlikely that it's supposed to be greek of all things unless the devs in the 90s just thought it sounded cool like the word 'new' sounds cool in japanese. it's also possible the original devs may have tried going for isis and got it wrong, considering where kefin takes place.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so suprised that it seems people love the music in this. It's one element of the game that makes me really hate playing. I hate the music. To my ears it's 80s inspired pop-power rock, that is just stressful to listen to. It's annoying as fuck and it never knows when to slow things down.

To make things worse it's a very clear "digital trying to sound analogue" vibe going on, where there's a hyperactive lead guitar that sounds more like the cheap synth it is, than the guitar they want it to be. There are some nice tracks here and there, but overall most of it just sounds like a playlist of rejected Motoi Sakuraba boss battle themes. Yuck.

Other than hat the game is okay. After 20+ hours I find the combat to be entertaining enough, although it's very repetitive and I needed to map my own controls a bit (thumbs up for that option) since some of the controller layout is badly thought out.

But where is that great story I hear about? Did it get lost in translation or something?

I got my copy of the CE yesterday and I have to say it is easily one of the best CE/Limited editions for any game. The box, and everything inside it is really well done. I only got a chance to play for like an hour yesterday though, so far so good though. I will just say these 2 things, 1 it is very obvious a Vita up port, I mean we knew that but its very blatant, and 2 Falcom really needs to get some more/better animators on their team.

mindatlarge

That's good to hear. Don't have a Pro and was gonna go for the pc-version for 60 FPS, but with the delays and all I won't feel bad about buying the PS4-version after all.

I hope European stores will start selling early ><
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the PS4 version. Enjoy!

Mr.Jeff

Great game. Enjoyed it a lot on Vita last year and I'm still screaming my way through my PS4 Inferno, Solo Adol, No Healing/Extra run at 120/130 hours in.

Combat's still not quite there I feel as the camera being directly behind Adol and co. can be really frustrating for dodging but still my favourite of the new combat incarnation.

Saoshyant

One possibly weird question: is it possible to customize/change the clothing used by the main characters? I... can't really take Dana seriously with her default outfit.

That's good to hear. Don't have a Pro and was gonna go for the pc-version for 60 FPS, but with the delays and all I won't feel bad about buying the PS4-version after all.

I hope European stores will start selling early ><

If you're lucky the digital version will go live on Wednesday morning.

mhayes86

Excited to receive it today! I can't believe it's been so long between the release of this and Ys VII on PSP. Granted, the Ys remakes over the years have been incredible.

sibarraz

Banned
I tried to beat celceta on Nightmare at my first play, but then I realized that besides the enemies hitting harder you level up and earn gold slower. That sucks. I liked the first ys because I felt like the leveling disbt really matter, so I could people nightmare without feeling that the system was cheating on me

Is like this on VIII? I feel bad for not beating the game on nightmare at the first try "Im stuck with the beast master wearing the mask"

Avallon

There's a shitload of DLC up on the store with a bunch of costumes being exclusive to the vita version.

Anyone know what's up with that? Has the store not finished updating maybe? Are there more costumes by default in the PS4 version than the Vita version?

Mr.Jeff

I tried to beat celceta on Nightmare at my first play, but then I realized that besides the enemies hitting harder you level up and earn gold slower. That sucks. I liked the first ys because I felt like the leveling disbt really matter, so I could people nightmare without feeling that the system was cheating on me

Is like this on VIII? I feel bad for not beating the game on nightmare at the first try "Im stuck with the beast master wearing the mask"
With the higher difficulties, it's meant to be more about skill than higher numbers. Unless you're gaining 5+ levels on a boss, you're not going to notice a significant increase in damage output. Each level gains you a smidge more health and roughly 3 points for atk and def which is not enough to notice a noticable increase.

For gold, as they're stuck on a remote island, gold is not a concern. Items and weapon upgrades are bought through materials you either get from resource points or from enemies. High grade materials can be exchanged for a certain amount of lower grade materials.

For weapon upgrades, these are gated at points and require a certain item which only comes from bosses at particuar points.After you've upgraded to a "new" weapon, you can then upgrade it from rank 1 to rank 3 with regular materials before needing the next major upgrade item from the next boss.

For those who played already. any missable trophies ?
I don't know what trophies there are but I can think of two that would prove a pain without knowing in advance.
One is for recipes. Recipes are normally given either through story events or through side quests however there are a couple that are only gained from talking to npcs in ordinary dialogue at really specific points whicht have short windows before things happen and they change their dialogue again.

The other is for your social ranking with other characters? I don't know if there's a trophy for this but there is one character who has an item to increase their ranking that wasn't immediately obvious to me and isn't signposted that well. That said, I played through it without understanding what anyone was saying so perhaps it was signposted....

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm done, I just can't play it anymore. I'm starting to wonder if my tastes have changed or what, but this game is just.. well, it's shit. It's really, really bad. From the endless tropes with "helpless" females, to horrible annoying music, to a combat system stuck in 2001, and onwards. I just really struggle to find redeeming qualities. I was really expecting more after those reviews.

I like the village growing, but.. yeah, that's it. Story is slow and uninteresting, characters are bland. I'd give it 3-4 out of 10, tops. It's just so slow and stiff.

Going from Nier Automata to this is... yeah.

DPB

I'm also curious about the difficulty settings, what's the best pick if I was fine with Oath and Origin on normal? I tried playing 7 on hard, but instead of making it more difficult it turned into a drawn-out slog where boss battles would go on forever, and normal was too easy.

I'm also curious about the difficulty settings, what's the best pick if I was fine with Oath and Origin on normal? I tried playing 7 on hard, but instead of making it more difficult it turned into a drawn-out slog where boss battles would go on forever, and normal was too easy.
I primarily play Ys on Normal (except OiF which I've usually replay on Hard) and I decided to go with Hard on this one. I haven't found it to be terribly difficult so far. IIRC however, you can adjust the difficulty in the options.

Thanks, I figured from some of the exposition at the beginning.

Also wtf,
already a 'walking in on the girl bathing' scene
this early in the game? Jeeze Falcom
Nothing beats being stranded on a deserted island and immediately taking a bath out in the open!

hawk2025

So far, Hard seems to be the sweet spot, but I haven't made it very far yet.

Stenlock

Neo Member
Still haven't bought the game, but is there a way to control camera zoom?
Hearing reports that you can zoom in and out, but as soon as you move, it goes back to default. Is it true? That would be awful.

preta

I think I'm done, I just can't play it anymore. I'm starting to wonder if my tastes have changed or what, but this game is just.. well, it's shit. It's really, really bad. From the endless tropes with "helpless" females, to horrible annoying music, to a combat system stuck in 2001, and onwards. I just really struggle to find redeeming qualities. I was really expecting more after those reviews.

I like the village growing, but.. yeah, that's it. Story is slow and uninteresting, characters are bland. I'd give it 3-4 out of 10, tops. It's just so slow and stiff.

Going from Nier Automata to this is... yeah.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "helpless females" - Laxia's a pretty good character who isn't subject to that kind of thing, and Dana is really great and is the opposite of helpless. I have no idea what seems archaic about the combat to you either. I don't know how you can call it either slow or stiff.

I will concede that the story takes a while to get moving at full speed, but when it picks up, it really goes places.

Mudo

I played about 2 hours last night (PS4 Pro) and the game is glorious so far. Music is A+++ even better so far than previous Ys games. Graphics are better than i expected on PS4 and 60fps makes it like butter mmmmm. Story seems cool to me so far - Sortof a mystery going on and i love the island setting. Combat is FAR better than Ys 7 so far, for me. Overall, my expectations are being surpassed in every way and i can't wait to dig in for an all nighter with this in a few hours.

Oh - the translation. I was mortified when i heard NIS America and not XSeed were releasing this in the US. Thus far, the translation has been completely fine and I hope that continues for the entire game. Feels like i dodged a bullet! The game could have been massively hurt by a shoddy translation but this is competent to pretty good. Voice acting I'm not loving at ALL though - bummer :/ (except for laxative she seems fine)

Top Bottom