• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War passes 4 million (?)

I think it will continue moving solidly for a good while, all those people who buy 360s this year, it's likely a lot of those people are going to want to get Gears at some point, seems like one of those games people will go back into the library to get when they decide to get a 360 (a la Halo, although maybe not to that extent).

KINGMOKU

Eh, even if its not at 4million(I dont think it is, but it HAS to be close) its going to hit that number sooner or later.

The real question is, how is Gears stacking up against Zelda these days?

Zelda in the States is well over 2million now, right around Gears, and its at 400k in Japan. It could be at the same amount as Gears is right now. I know its selling well in Europe+ other countries.

Honest question, becuase if everyone remembers(Guito does) the thread about Zelda/gears sales, it would be cool to revisit that debate now.

BTW, i am inching closer, and closer to picking up a 360. Day one purchase with the360? Is it THAT GOOD?

SeatBelts said:
Wish there wasn't a sequel? eh? sorry I don't wish evil upon pixels.

P.S stop checking my post history
i don't wish there aren't sequels to other games that lots of people like that i don't.

why would a sequel to Gears of War hurt you? you'd know to give it a miss right?

you don't have to tell people you dislike the game every chance you get.

i checked your post history to try and see why you'd presume that most everyone who plays Gears of War would be disapointed by it. i figured you were either a sony or nintendo fanboy, someone who didn't like the game and was bitter, someone totally blind to the millions saying they enjoy the game and the hundreds of thousands still playing it online, or a combination of those.

your post history told me you weren't a fanboy.

isn't that a good thing?

a game lots of people like sold well. you didn't like it... but don't begrudge the game's success. it deserves it.

909er

moku said:
Eh, even if its not at 4million(I dont think it is, but it HAS to be close) its going to hit that number sooner or later.

The real question is, how is Gears stacking up against Zelda these days?

Zelda in the States is well over 2million now, right around Gears, and its at 400k in Japan. It could be at the same amount as Gears is right now. I know its selling well in Europe+ other countries.

Honest question, becuase if everyone remembers(Guito does) the thread about Zelda/gears sales, it would be cool to revisit that debate now.

Is it Zelda Wii and GC combined?

Were there any haters?

I don't remember anything but love in the hypage of this game. Same with Resistance and Zelda. All turned out great.

Definitely deserves the sale, I can't wait to play it when and if I hopefully win a 360 this weekend.

909er

underfooter said:
Were there any haters?

I don't remember anything but love in the hypage of this game. Same with Resistance and Zelda. All turned out great.

Definitely deserves the sale, I can't wait to play it when and if I hopefully win a 360 this weekend.

There were some haters. Stuff like "Will be a Brute Force" and "Sell 300,000 tops" were seen in that Zelda vs. GoW thread.

Flyguy

plagiarize said:
i don't wish there aren't sequels to other games that lots of people like that i don't.

why would a sequel to Gears of War hurt you? you'd know to give it a miss right?

you don't have to tell people you dislike the game every chance you get.

i checked your post history to try and see why you'd presume that most everyone who plays Gears of War would be disapointed by it. i figured you were either a sony or nintendo fanboy, someone who didn't like the game and was bitter, someone totally blind to the millions saying they enjoy the game and the hundreds of thousands still playing it online, or a combination of those.

your post history told me you weren't a fanboy.

isn't that a good thing?

a game lots of people like sold well. you didn't like it... but don't begrudge the game's success. it deserves it.

He can't hear you.

KINGMOKU

UncleGuito said:
Yes, it's that good considering that it's a console action game.
I havnt been paying attention to it much, seeing as how I have yet to buy a 360. Is it co-op as well? Me and my brother have been wanting some good co-op action latley.

Damn, I may break down and buy one tommarow.

moku said:
I havnt been paying attention to it much, seeing as how I have yet to buy a 360. Is it co-op as well? Me and my brother have been wanting some good co-op action latley.

only online co-op, so not split screen... but the best implemented online co-op i have experienced. the game feels like it was designed with co-op in mind more than single player at times.

FrankT

moku said:

Indeed, co-op. Wouldn't know myself as I've yet to try the co-op out, but I hear that's where the real fun is at.

909er

moku said:

Co-op is what sold me. Incidentally, Co-op at a Gamestop is also what sold me on the original Halo. Co-op rules.

plagiarize said:
only online co-op, so not split screen... but the best implemented online co-op i have experienced. the game feels like it was designed with co-op in mind more than single player at times.

Whoa whoa whoa!

There IS INDEED OFFLINE CO-OP.

So, enjoy, all.

raYne

plagiarize said:
Err... it has both online and splitscreen co-op..

Flo_Evans

You can even play split screen online :lol

If you own a 360 and don't have this game you are part of the problem. Should of sold 7mil by now.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Is this unexpected? Of course this game is going to sell 4 million copies. Heck, it will end its run, albeit in 2 years, at a solid 7 million.

Nothing shocking about this news.

909er

dirtmonkey37 said:
Is this unexpected? Of course this game is going to sell 4 million copies. Heck, it will end its run, albeit in 2 years, at a solid 7 million.

Nothing shocking about this news.

I wonder Cliffy B is thinking everytime the million marker edges closer to his 8 million goal (which I think was not meant as a serious comment).

Speevy

Banned
I don't own Gears, so I'm part of the problem.

But to be fair, I also don't have a broadband internet connection, so...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
dirtmonkey37 said:

Let's not get carried away so early...

Kuroyume

Banned
I remember Luke (in a Nov/Dec 1 up yours) saying that sales would trail off after it made its first million... :lol

raYne

dirtmonkey37 said:
Then how do you get on Xbox Live? I've seen you on a couple times....

Buy Gears. Now.
He's been on Live with BB a few times (away from home), but other than that, he haxzord it with his PC/56k.

underfooter said:
Were there any haters?

The November NPD prediction thread was pretty hilarious. There were a bunch of people predicting it would open with 300-400K.

FirstInHell said:
The November NPD prediction thread was pretty hilarious. There were a bunch of people predicting it would open with 300-400K.
yep. even some people failed ban-bets thinking it would do under 500kish. good stuff.

Mar

moku said:

Yeah I remember that. It was quite an interesting thread that basically put Gears against Zelda and Resistance. People made all sorts of wild predictions.

Interesting to see after all this time that Gears and Zelda are keeping pretty close. We won't mention Resistance...

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
For a game thats not a sequel thats pretty bloody amazing. Microsoft should really do all they can to make epic a one console developer. Epic truly are great at everything they do.

HokieJoe

Ryudo said:
For a game thats not a sequel thats pretty bloody amazing. Microsoft should really do all they can to make epic a one console developer. Epic truly are great at everything they do.

Yep. They should do everything short of buying the company. Hell, maybe even that if possible. It wouldn't be so bad owning the development tools to so many games this gen.

I think Gears will top out at 7 million.

Give me Resident Evil-style unlockables in story mode for GoW2, Cliffy. Stuff like extra guns (maybe some UT guns when you beat story mode in different difficulties) or new outfits would be cool. It would bump the story mode replay value up a bit.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Speevy said:
I don't own Gears, so I'm part of the problem.

But to be fair, I also don't have a broadband internet connection, so...
I think SP+Co-Op more than justifies the game.

Top Bottom