• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good western animated shows

dKPH3qX.gif

Batman: The Animated Series (The King)
Batman Beyond
Superman: The Animated Series
Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited
Samurai Jack
Genndy Tartakovsky's Star Wars: Clone Wars
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Spectacular Spider-Man
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Gargoyles
Voltron: Legendary Defender
Rick and Morty

Not enough mentions of BoJack Horseman. Brilliant show once it finds its footing.

I'll also have to echo mentions of Gravuty Falls, Steven Universe, Rick and Morty, Justice League, Young Justice, Over the Garden Wall, The Critic, and the obviousness of Simpsons/Futurama.

Also, Hey Arnold. Can't believe no one's mentioned it yet.

Fbh

The vast majority of the animated stuff I watch is anime and I still think that Avatar TLA and Rick and Morty are better than 99.9% of it.

Gravidee

Don't belittle Steven Universe, please.

What is there to belittle? It's well known that SU has inspirations drawn from various works, and borrows heavily from anime. These range from DBZ to Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Captain Harloc, and others. The episode Mindful Education had someone from studio Trigger work on it, so it's pretty clear that there's some mad respect on both sides.

tkscz

I've always been more of an anime guy when it came to watching animated programming, but The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra and (surprisingly) Mystery Incorporated showed me that good western cartoons can compete with good anime and can be just as enjoyable to an adult audience as the kid audience. Are there other western shows at that level?

What are you interested in? There are a lot of good Western animated series, but what are you looking for? Are you interested in story? The way a story is told can be 100% different from anime to w. animation. For example, story telling and structure can be completely different. On average, anime tells it's story up front. You have your beginning middle and end told right in front of you, while w. animation can have the story hidden within an episodic show. Each episode has a main story to tell, but in the background of that episode is a story that connects the show together and brings it all to a close towards the end of the season.
How about the action? Just like anime, Western style animation can have a little bit or ton of action, from fight to chase scenes. Not much differences between the two except for Western animation tends not to spend multiple episodes on one fight scene. Tend to end it all in one episode, but still make the fight just as epic.
How about characters? Like action, not much difference between the two, other than tropes used. I tend to enjoy western characters more, simply due to the tropes being less grating to me.
Does age matter? Some great shows came out years ago. How about animation quality? Some good shows tend to have animation hiccups here and there, but are still great.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Venture Bros. is seriously amazing.

Its better than probably 95% of live action shows out there including most of the darlings loved by all. Its an incredibly creative, well written and consistent show willing to go places most others wouldn't dare and does it with impeccable wit and nuance.

Ogodei

Saying "good western anime" is like asking for good anime.

Though you mention Avatar and Korra so i'm assuming action cartoons with some character development?

arigato

Justice League Unlimited
Batman Beyond/of the future (In the UK)
Megas XLR
X-Men: Evolution
Samurai Jack
Ed, Edd n Eddy
Dexter's Lab
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Ed, Edd n Eddy I will always fondly remember as one of the best cartoons I've seen.

Nikodemos

I'll second/third Courage the Cowardly Dog.

It has aged now, but when it came out 17-odd years ago, it was the most experimental grotesque Western animated show. That deformed foetal form of Eustace's cracked bugle was quite literally nightmare inducing for younger children.

And then there's Freaky Fred.

duckroll

Some stuff I would recommend checking out which are similar to "anime" sensibilities:

Pirates of Dark Water, Samurai Jack, Wakfu, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, DC Animated Movies (anything from the old Mask of the Phantasm to more recent Justice League stuff, quality varies tho), The Boondocks, Batman Beyond.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If you're looking for a serialized show like Avatar, here are some suggestions:

- Pirates of Dark Water
- X-men: TAS (at least, the first few seasons)
- Superman: TAS (the first several seasons start off as self-contained episodes, but then it starts to get into a much bigger story arc by the end)
- Gargoyles
- Megas XLR
- Justice League Unlimited
- The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest (most episodes were self-contained though, but it's a very underrated series)
- Symbionic Titan (I'm not a fan of Genndy Tartakovsky, but this show was great)

2 French shows:

Wakfu

Aside from maybe the last gif, show looks like crap. It's got that trash flash style of animation that I've always hated.

rekameohs

Banned
The Simpsons S3-8 is the greatest stretch of TV ever made, let alone an animated show, let alone an American one.

Rick and Morty's the best current one.

Finaj

- Pirates of Dark Water
- Superman: TAS (the first several seasons start off as self-contained episodes, but then it starts to get into a much bigger story arc by the end)
- Gargoyles
- Megas XLR
- The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest (most episodes were self-contained though, but it's a very underrated series)

Aside from maybe the last gif, show looks like crap. It's got that trash flash style of animation that I've always hated.

The quality of flash will always depend on the creators. Flash can create terrible-looking shows like Johnny Test or great-looking shows like My Little Pony: Friendship and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Kenai

This thread made me sad Pirates of Dark Water never concluded.

Another two with no "conclusion" that I thought were pretty great with no mention yet were Sym-bionic Titan and The Mighty B.

Hypron

The quality of flash will always depend on the creators. Flash can create terrible-looking shows like Johnny Test or great-looking shows like My Little Pony: Friendship and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Wakfu looks good too, I've never seen anyone say it looks crap before.

Xe4

Banned
Speaking of good looking flash animation, one of the best looking shows I've seen was animated in flash: Motorcity.

It's from one of the creators of Megas XLR, and it looks fantastic.
9326f3efdb44fa6e3d38babe73bee93fbd4e5d8c_hq.gif

tumblr_m3yqfbG38z1qccjyio1_500.gif

Flash is just a tool. How good or bad it looks depends entirely on the creators.

tkscz

Speaking of good looking flash animation, one of the best looking shows I've seen was animated in flash: Motorcity.

Flash is just a tool. How good or bad it looks depends entirely on the creators.

Interesting things about this show. They programmed their own style of 2D to 3D animations for the cars from scratch and won't share their code with anyone.

Batman: The Animated Series (The King)
Batman Beyond
Superman: The Animated Series
Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited
Samurai Jack
Genndy Tartakovsky's Star Wars: Clone Wars
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Spectacular Spider-Man
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Gargoyles
Voltron: Legendary Defender
Rick and Morty

I'd throw in Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra and you have a list of the best action adventure shows imo.

- Pirates of Dark Water
- Gargoyles
- Megas XLR
- Symbionic Titan (I'm not a fan of Genndy Tartakovsky, but this show was great)

X-Men TAS does not hold up well at all

Keasar

You're in luck OP, there is pretty much a golden age going on with animated shows now, many of them being superb.

• Gravity Falls <-- Seriously, watch this show!
  • Steven Universe.
  • Over the Garden Wall.
  • Samurai Jack - Genndy Tartakovsky's best work.
  • Sym-Bionic Titan - More Genndy Tartakovsky, will never be finished as Cartoon Network fucked up big time with the license, still awesome to watch whatever is there, be wary though of "the scene" which people have posted a gif of over the forum for a while. It is as weird as it seems.
  • Genndy Tartakovsky's Star Wars: Clone Wars <-- Better than the entire Prequel trilogy and anything George Lucas can come up, hard as hell to find though as it's been declared non-canon and is not produced anymore, link leads to a "eh"-quality full video of the series but recommend finding it in HD.
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Don't judge too quickly, I know there can be a bit of stigma involved watching this show but it actually surprises being genuinely good, at least the first couple of seasons, haven't kept up with it for a while.
  • The Amazing World of Gumball
  • Motorcity - \m/

If looking for animated showed intended for more mature audiences:
  • Rick and Morty
  • Bojack Horseman
  • Archer

Zutrax

Thank goodness someone else remembers this show exists. Weren't they wanting a season 2? Why is it so impossible to find anywhere other than on iTunes? Literally no news about it has surfaced since it finished airing. It's like Disney XD forgot this show existed and tried to remove every trace of it happening.

Keasar

Thank goodness someone else remembers this show exists. Weren't they wanting a season 2? Why is it so impossible to find anywhere other than on iTunes? Literally no news about it has surfaced since it finished airing. It's like Disney XD forgot this show existed and tried to remove every trace of it happening.

It's dead. :(

Last news was 4 years ago. Think we can safely assume it's dead.

Top Bottom