• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unsolved Mysteries is on Amazon Prime

MisterHero

They should have just made new episodes like they were going to do originally.
It's all pointless without Robert Stack. Without him, these crimes remain unsolveable

William Shatner can still bring back Rescue 911 though!

Fox Mulder

did any ever get solved?

All the time. Update!

I recall the alien and ghost stuff, but that wasn't on the show initially apparently. I started watching on Amazon, and it's all straight up missing person and crime stuff with the occasional DB Cooper.

My older brother would torment me with this show by watching it with me for a while, then 'disappearing' when the house was empty. Wonder if it's as creepy as I remember.

Remk

There's a hq version of the opening theme on youtube.

Go on, just click on it and.relive it. There is no way you become an unsolved mistery yourself after listening to it... right?

This was one of those shows that turned a lot of people into conspiracy wack jobs. I loved it as a kid but grew out of it as I got older. I gather a lot of the weirdo alt communities out there grew up with this shit too and never realized it was just fun and games.

dolabla

Stayed up late last night until 3am binge watching season 1, lol. Just finished season 1 today. Still as amazing and creepy as it was back then.

This is such a godsend to be able to watch the Robert Stack episodes. That new one with Dennis Farina is only Unsolved Mysteries in name only because it's an entirely different show.

Lowmelody

Man, the intro alone used to scare the shit out of me when I was little.

I'm confident this show will still hold up over the years.

cruets

I remember they had an episode on the UNABOMBER. need to reach that and see their assumptions about him back then

Saganator

Agree with those saying I wish they'd do new episodes, however I wish they focus on just updating the mysteries that have been solved since the show went off the air, as well as showing the mysteries from the old show which are still unsolved.

Fury451

Banned
Agree with those saying I wish they'd do new episodes, however I wish they focus on just updating the mysteries that have been solved since the show went off the air, as well as showing the mysteries from the old show which are still unsolved.

They're still updating the old episodes, they have title information cards at the end. Pretty sure this newly released season batches includes updates.

They're still updating the old episodes, they have title information cards at the end. Pretty sure this newly released season batches includes updates.

This is what I would most like as well. Are they actually doing additional video segments with someone giving info on the current status, or just text updates?

SiteSeer

the allagash abduction episode was the scariest alien-related thing i've ever seen and i remember there being a follow up episode where they go back and one of the guys developed an ability to do complex mathematics after recovering his memories. they have part 1 up on their paranormal dvd compliation, which i have, but i've never seen the follow up anywhere since. i hope amazon puts it up ...

norm9

I have the Unsolved Myseteries boxed set with with 10 dvds for 30 bucks due to a pricing error. Glad I can see the episodes curated by the show instead of the dvd's topic groupings.

I think it is impossible to overstate how well-done this was for the kind of show it was. Robert Stack's voice, the reenactments that are vaguely hokey but played completely straight, the pitch-perfect music, the cheesy special effects, it all came together in just the perfect way to create this pristine piece of 90s kitsch.

The SitcomsOnline forum has a bunch of wannabe internet detectives discussing a whole bunch of the cases over the course of the last like 15 years, for anybody interested.

I used to watch this as a kid in the early 90's. Robert Stack + the theme song + late at night = nightmares for days.

My mom would insist on watching this show when I was a kid, even though I begged her not to because it scared the shit out of me.

Parenting fail.

Chun-Li

The music is so brilliantly creepy. I love it :D This brings back some memories that I haven't thought about in such a looooong time.

This and "Sightings" were faveorite 90s shows of mine. Loved the ufo and ghost episodes the newer episodes seem to focus a lot on murders and missing persons.

CDX

I think I had a severe phobia of UFOs and aliens for years because of some episode I saw when I was young.

As a young kid I used to watch scary movies, and not one of them terrified me as much as the damn aliens and UFOs from "Unsolved Mysteries"

I really had a fear I was going to be abducted by aliens.

I think it was because "Unsolved Mysteries" was presented as a true story news style show, and then bam stories about aliens. It was just too much for my young mind to process.

It'd be interesting to see some of the alien episodes now as an adult.

Al-San

Neo Member
My God. When I saw this show on TV as a kid in the 80's it was fucking nightmare fuel. That intro music and ufo ghost shots had me paralyzed under my blanket trying to sleep.
Seeing all those wacky stories on TV made me believe all of it was real.
Will watch again for the nostalgia.

El Odio

Banned
I think I had a severe phobia of UFOs and aliens for years because of some episode I saw when I was young.

This show is the reason I'm afraid of aliens and ghosts. Add xfiles, and I'm still afraid of the dark(not the show).

You and me both.

Everything that terrifies me about aliens and ghosts is because of this show. No bullshit.
So it's not just me then. The murder and missing person cases were unsettling but tolerable but the paranormal, extraterrestrial stuff legit have fucked me up to this day. I get fucking terrified at the thought of walking through my house or something and coming across one of those grey bastatds.

I got through Season 4 a couple weeks ago.

I see Season 5 is up now.

The earlier shows feel better. Less impressive recreations but they took more time to flesh out the stories and Stack's narration did the work.
Plus they have less interesting mysteries to cover as they have already mined a lot of it.

It also seems insane to me how short some of the sentences served were for bad to heinous crimes.

dolabla

I just started season 5 and whoa I did not know the gorgeous blonde girl (Tammy Lynn Leppert) who is talking to Manny in the car during the hotel scene in Scarface went missing and has been missing since 1983. They said she broke down on the scene of Scarface during a killing scene and she quit the film. She had been having problems way before the movie though.

I can't seem to gauge if she was just losing her mind or somebody was really after her and trying to kill her. The friend (whom she had an argument with) she was last with should have never dropped her off in the parking lot barefoot, especially if he knew she had been having major problems. I'm kind of suspicious of the friend.

Sad story.

Top Bottom