• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon 2: New Dawn - What do you want to see for the sequel?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
1.) Melee Combat
- Horizon's most glaring flaw is its close quarters combat. In most instances, players will engage enemies at a range but enemies in Horizon are swift, suitably intelligent and can rapidly close on a player leaving them with no option but to evade and counterattack. Also, some enemies are very resilient and can deplete an unprepared players resources and armaments forcing them to rely once again on melee attacks. What's here is serviceable but something akin to Bloodborne/Dark Souls would be fantastic in a sequel, where there are parries and linkable attacks beyond the standard light and heavy attacks. I'm not asking for Nioh or DMC levels of depth.

2.) Weapon Variety
- The weapons in Horizon are good but the number of archetypes is underwhelming. I expected with Guerrilla's pedigree there would be a greater ensemble of arms but I was left disappointed by the fact that we're left with 3 types of bows, slings, ropecasters and tripcasters. It would've been cool to uncover and wield ancient yet futuristic shotguns, sniper rifles, rail guns, flame throwers, rocket launcher, tesla gun, thermite launcher, remote mine layer, netgun. These things could be given a cosmetic makeover to fit in thematically with other tribal weapons. In addition to the ranged weapons, a better choice of melee weapons is welcome - a warhammer, axe, longsword, polearm. Weapons should be able to be modified as well.

3.) More Machines
- I like the variety we have now but more types would be appreciated. I felt that there were too many passive types of machines. I'd like to see some insect based machines like Praying Mantis, Hornets or Beetles. I was bummed there weren't any machines based on a Gorilla, Bears or Wolves. Not too many complaints here because the aren't many flaws. Even a anthromorphic machine would be super dope, a machine trying to kill you with a beam saber and smart gun would be a helluva battle.

4.) Command Machines
- Once a machine has been overridden, you should be able to get it directives like distract, attack, defend etc. The player shouldn't be limited to just either mounting or having the machine follow. This is just a minor way to enhance and add greater depth to a fun mechanic.

5.) Scale Large Machines and the Environment
- I'm expecting many of, if not all the machines in this game to return but I'm sure they'll be other, larger machines added in subsequent games, it'd be a cool mechanic to scale enemies to avoid detection and fighting them directly. This could be accomplished by latching onto them or using a grappling hook. Hopefully they'll be machines so large that other, minor machines live on and perform maintenance on them. It'd be a relationship mirrored by fish and birds eating parasites off of sharks and rhinos respectively.

- Like Link, it'd be awesome if Aloy could scale mountains and trees as well. This isn't an attempt to mimic Zelda but it's an opportunity to implement a great idea and have it mesh well with the game thematically. Exploration and trap laying is the name of the game in Horizon so there's nothing incongruous about its potential addition. Also, sometimes it's confusing knowing what can be climbed and what can't and eliminates the "oddly colored" handholds in the game (when it's present). That's just a preemptive addressing for those who may quick to claim "oh no, copying Zelda".

6.) Save Anywhere
- I'd like to be able to save anywhere (as long as there are no threats nearby) and make camp. Resting at camp will pass the time (which can be cool itself because maybe certain robots only appear at specific portions of the day) and regenerates health (not medicine). Here you cook food (which regenerates more health than raw meat), repair gear and weapons. I feel this lessens the need to pick as many curatives and will keep players engaged in the combat which is the main draw.

7.) Mundane Activities
- I love Horizon's combat as much as anyone but I'd like to just do things in the world that aren't missions or quests. I know the trials are there and they are great but something to break the repetition of combat would be nice. I mean actions like fishing, gwent-like card game, drinking, etc. These are just simple, optional things to pass time or make the world an more lived in so they don't add much to the game, but would be a nice little addition.

8.) Switch Shoulders
- This one is self explanatory really. It sucks being in a tight spot and having your vision obscured by some foliage or dilapidated building in the middle of an intense face off with a Thunderjaw, Stormbird or a pack of Ravagers + Shellwalkers & Watchers

9.) Board a Mech???
- I haven't finished the game yet, just a third of the way through but if a sequel features even larger prey maybe players could mount mechs and they'd still function the same as Aloy or whomever players have control of in the game.

10.) Swimming and Water Interactivity
- the smallest gripe. I just want water to register when players are wading through it. I know that Aloy gets wet but she makes no splashes nor displaces any water when traveling through a body of water. The game is rendering and processing a ton of stuff so it makes sense why this was omitted but hopefully the sequel will be on PS5 where they have enough power to create suitable simulations. I'd like swimming to be streamlined and you can perform stealth kills from it, if approaching unsuspecting prey from underwater.

11.) Stealth and AI
- the robots are intelligent and aggressive enough...UNTIL you break sight and hide in a bush. That's fine but you shouldn't be able to pile a number of remains and corpses up and enemies still approach that bush haphazardly. Humans AI is more egregious because you expect them to use logic and reason and realize "hey, maybe I should probably shoot the shit out of that bush where my buddy's body is and where I heard a suspicious whistle attempting to lure me over". I think players should be able to dive below the surface of a body of water to escape line of sight should be implemented.

12.) The Camera
- the camera is great in most cases but becomes a hindrance when you're running away but trying to also see the Thunderjaw charging behind you so you know when to dodge. When doing this, you won't be able to see whats in front of you,so you're forced into a risky trade-off situation that both have shitty potential outcomes. I'd just like the camera to show more of what's in front of you or have the attack indicator blink only before an attack is about to hit you, not when an enemy is simply attacking,this way you'll know when you truly need to evade.

Well, that's my list. Feel free to tell me what you all think, whether you agree or disagree.

I think Guerrilla has all the talent in the world and I want them to be the first people to successfully combine a third person shooter with a deep melee component. It hasn't been done yet and I don't know why, although in my opinion Vanquish was the closet to merge the two worlds competently. Beyond that, I'm loving the game. Hopefully Guerrilla comes across this and implements some of, if not all of these things.

TLDR: HRZN2 Improvements:
1. Melee Combat
2. Weapon Variety
3. More Machines
4. Command Machines
5. Scale Machine/Environment
6. Save Anywhere
7. Mundane Activities
8. Switch Shoulders
9. Board Mechs
10. Swimming/Water Interactivity
11. Stealth/AI
12. Camera

MonsieurPaul

Neo Member
- Elite robots

- Robots orders: it could be very basic with follow/defend/attack. It's disappointing to be able to override a Stormbird and have it flying in circle doing nothing afterwards.

- Crafting coils

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
- Livelier towns and cities.

- Extensive outfit/armor customization for purely cosmetic purposes without entirely ruling out combat bonuses and immunities.

- More side quests and sensible collectibles. I know lol, but I actually enjoyed the fact that many of them were narrative-driven and allows the players a glimpse of the world, history, as well as the many tribal/city cultures. I definitely thought it added to the already fantastic lore of the game.

- Make all robots into mounts, even the flying ones. That would be wonderful!

- THE WEST COAST.

- More baes like Vanasha, Petra, and Talanah please. I'm also not opposed to the aforementioned making appearances in the sequel.

Tyaren

More life-like towns/cities. They felt artificial and dead. Unlike towns in The Witcher 3, like Novigrad or Beauclair. I don't even know why Horizon's towns felt so dead in comparison... :/

Niks

Have Legendary robot hunts.

Its so weird they stopped at red maw.
It was a no brainer. Also make them different than ordinary robots (bigger, different abilities and attack patterns, unique weapons)

Robot sea monsters, boats and diving.

Megaladon, ichthyasaurs, pleasiosaurs giant squid, blue Whales, trilobites, ammonites, octopus, sea horses, jellyfish, lantern fish...the list is endless.

Basically all the coolest and weirdest sea creatures through history reimagined as big old robots, and enough open water and additional mechanics to make interacting with them as cool and fun as possible.

Have Legendary robot hunts.

Its so weird they stopped at red maw.
It was a no brainer. Also make them different than ordinary robots (bigger, different abilities and attack patterns, unique weapons)
Definitely. Use the legendary ships in Black Flag as a template. Make them unique and several steps more difficult than anything in the normal game.

• Ruins/Tombs/Puzzles: The Cauldrons were nice, but I feel that they could have been a lot better. They were just a different environment to, again, fight robo-dinos. I feel that the Cauldrons should have been more of a requirement for the main quest, there should have been roughly 8-12 of them, and they should have involved more environmental variety, contained puzzle sequences, and unique boss encounters of enemies you don't see for the rest of the game.

Please no.

I'm fed of mandatory dungeons. That there are nearly none in H:ZD is actually one of the things I love with that game.

I'd like better traversal (free climbing, flight) and more secret to discover. And stop with putting robots in the middle of road. Seriously. How do people even live in that world?

Venture

They need to find more ways to incorporate the Focus device into quests. It could be used for more interesting things than just following tracks. Finding apps to download and run on your Focus would also be a lot of fun and make for a more rewarding collectible. Some could just be little fun games or widgets, while others could upgrade your Focus with useful new abilities.

Zackat

Don't want a sequel

rather have new and exciting IPs, which is exactly what Horizon Zero Dawn was

200.gif

Better melee system and better human NPC combat, those are the two I would like to see the most. Particularly the latter.

Dabi

Besides taking the next steps in terms of fleshing out mechanics that you'd expect to see in a sequel, I hope they make the human to human combat more exciting.

You can think that, but there's a lot I could probably harp on Zelda as well (weak combat, shrines, lacking story, etc). But the things Zelda does right (exploration, world building, traversal), I believe Horizon could learn from in order to make it a better game. Not asking for a copy either, just focus on the elements it gets right and have Horizon do something unique with it.
Go make a thread about what people want from the next Zelda and use things it can learn from Horizon as examples then

A new character and setting. Doubt this will happen but I've seen enough of Aloy's story.

Instead of being somewhere where everything feels established I'd rather get the feel of pushing into the frontier, exploring, and taking back land.

Give me a grappling hook.

Make fighting human enemies not suck.

Give me some more little side stuff, like maybe some mini games in the towns or something to make the world feel more alive.

Finally give players more things to do with controlling the dinosaurs. Let me ride more of them. Let me tell them where to go. Let me have certain ones search for or harvest materials. Etc etc.

No climbing, please no lol. More technical traversal options would be dope, perhaps building them from rare parts and such, akin to Metroid with dash boots, super jump, etc etc.

More hunting elements with large, complexed encounters. Slowly introduce rare encounters and such.

More persistent world elements, with more robust characters.

Larger encounters that absolutely require a.i companions.

City building would be awesome as well.

RalchAC

A more free form version of climbing would be great. I'd like more customization when it comes to armours. The only special one right now is the exo suit you unlock with the energy cells.

It'd be great if you could get different effects depending on which robot you used as a Base for the armour. A Shell Walker could allow you to use his AoE thunder skill, for example. A stalker could give you a short camouflage, that kind of stuff.

I'd like enemies to have more weapons that you can use in combat when extracted. I wouldn't like to have permanently a machine gun, but doing something like freezing a Thunderjaw and then using his own weapon against him is really badass.

And I'd like more emergent gameplay. The machines act cooperately most of the time, I'd like some to fight each other.

I'd like more Vantage-like collectibles and less Metal Flowers.

They need to find more ways to incorporate the Focus device into quests. It could be used for more interesting things than just following tracks. Finding apps to download and run on your Focus would also be a lot of fun and make for a more rewarding collectible. Some could just be little fun games or widgets, while others could upgrade your Focus with useful new abilities.

That sounds great.

Flesh out melee combat

Improve looting (I had the best coils by 2/3 of the game and looting lost its impact. I should be excited to see what my haul is every time

More random incounters in the world. The world is so freaking beautiful - now make it a bit more lively; more random machines wandering less tied to zones too

Give us something to do in towns for Christ sake

If there's going to be a dialogue wheel, then there should be more interesting choices

I know it's an action rpg, but the skill tree was super watered down and way too easy to fill in. There's already no stats to tweak at all, so the skill tree should provide some opportunity to craft a unique play style -but it does not.

Tldr: add more rpg elements, the action is perfect. Game will be a 10 with these improvements

Go make a thread about what people want from the next Zelda and use things it can learn from Horizon as examples then

It's becoming real obvious which side keeps perpetuating this silly rivalry. You can go into any random BOTW thread and not see a single post about Horizon. Now go into a Horizon thread and see how many times Zelda is brought up.

ocean

Banned
I loved the game and it's my second ever platinum.

A few things I'd like to see: melee combat being somewhat deeper and more viable; more "useable" dropped components like Thunderjaw heavy weapons; fewer fetch quests; a few more long story-rich side quests; make an "arena" type challenge to complement hunting grounds (think a colosseum with increasing enemy size and difficulty); improve physics a bit (arrows not flying straight line to the moon, objects rolling down inclines rather than gluing to surface etc)...

This IP has serious potential and I can't wait to see where they go with it.

Shredderi

-A lot better and refined human vs human combat. Make it something that feels good.
-Better climbing. I know it makes level design more difficult to have a more freeform climbing, but maybe they can take a page out of AC:eek:rigins's book on this one
-A fuckload of legendary hunts. I'm pretty sure that they just didn't have the time to implement this in it's full potential, but recognize that it's the logical next step. Also make the legendary robots different from their basic models. More attacks, bigger sizes etc.
-Some kind of aquatic component. Make water and underwater an element of the game. Actually scratch that. They might go deep into the water and have us battle some fucked up shit there. I'm afraid of dark underwater levels.
-The option to tame and ride the cool, big dinosaur robots.
-Better looking water. In a world with that graphical fidelity the poor ass water stood out like a sore thumb. Just make it happen.
-Some kind of airglider thingie. There were so many times where I just wanted to jump down from a mountain ala Just Cause 3.
-Seamless multiplayer where up to 3 players can join your session. The other players play as recolor Aloys and then you can merge into a gigantic robo Aloy. There will be "Go Go AloyRangers!" blasting in the background

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
- Better side-quests. Most were fine because at least the combat was good, but still, "highlight the tracks and then find the thing" isn't that exciting.
- More NPCs with regards to side-quests. Like Nil. He was pretty awesome, but he's the only truly cool and memorable side-quest NPC.
- Maybe some branching paths for side-quests. Doesn't have to be as extensive as New Vegas, but it would probably add replay value.
- Better inventory management (sorting options, for starters).
- More Cauldron-like dungeons, maybe with some puzzle solving.

I don't get the complaints about the collectibles though. Unlike most games of this style, there were very, very few of them in comparison, and they were not intrusive or cluttering. I don't care if they disappear forever, mind, but they aren't an obnoxious distraction like other open-world games, and at least they were tradeable for in-games items (though not such great items, I'll admit).

It'd be great if you could get different effects depending on which robot you used as a Base for the armour. A Shell Walker could allow you to use his AoE thunder skill, for example. A stalker could give you a short camouflage, that kind of stuff.
That sounds interesting, and Monster Hunter-like, but I'm not sure how it'd work given the setting. You'd have to be a real badass engineer to harness the machines' tech into weapons and armours.

And I'd like more emergent gameplay. The machines act cooperately most of the time, I'd like some to fight each other.
They already do when corrupted, though?

Aloy needs to be able to go "Fuck
Ted Faro
!" in some form in the sequel.
This too

Less mist/fog hiding the pretty terrible draw distance
Wut

Blobbers

My main problem with Horizon was also my main problem with the Witcher 3. Both games opt for the safe AAA open world design.

Witcher 3 excels in its writing, Horizon has great combat. So far so good. Now the devs of both games decide to make them open world. How do they go about designing this open world? Just use the tried and true formula:
-fill the map with collectibles
-mission waypoints, just to get you from one well-written scenario to another, the exploration itself is not the focus
-detective mode that is heavily used
-world is designed in such a way where there is not much satisfaction in exploration itself, the satisfaction comes from other aspects of the game, maybe aspects that could work just as well in a linear game
-lots and lots of loot picking, all the time

Neither open worlds I think 100% justify themselves, unlike Breath of the Wild.

Some miscellaneous things I also didn't like about Horizon:
- people don't react enough, everything is too static. Two examples:
1. there was a quest where a warehouse explodes just in front of this guy I did a different quest for. He doesn't turn around, he doesn't make a remark, even with fire burning wild behind him. When I talk to him he utters the same line he utters after finishing his quest "I never forget a face that lost me orens", that's it
2. after about 20 hours of play, I come across a guy lying on the ground and a young woman crouching next to him. "This is interesting" I tell myself. I go talk to him and he or she thanks me for saving him/her father. It dawns on me that this is one of the first quests I've ever finished in the game, about 20 hours ago. The father and daughter never moved and stayed in that same position for the entire game. Now dealt-with NPC's not having new stuff to do isn't anything new in an RPG game, but it takes you out of the game and its world when you see these 2 people being sitting ducks in the middle of an open field even though they both got a taste of how dangerous this world is and have absolutely no reason not to haul ass to a safe place ASAP. It was so odd seeing this

-specialized merchants still call you over to trade for specialty items (metal flowers, banuk statues, relics etc.) even though you're already collected all of those, claimed all the rewards and have absolutely no reason to speak with the merchants ever again. You couldn't even give them some new dialogue like "Yay, with all these metal flowers I have become a greater trader than even So-and-so, Trader Supreme"?

-the voice actress for Aloy is off-putting. She speaks so calmly and silently so often. I imagine the director's instructions were something like "Aloy is an outcast, but she is caring, she will always help out, make sure to make her sound likeable" and she took it to mean Aloy should always sound ultra compassionate and talk to people like they're kids or about to have a nervous breakdown

-the dialogue system is just the most basic thing. You can't even refuse quests. You cannot not be a goody two shoes. Until one of the final missions where you brutally murder someone even though that's not really something you've ever done. You would think an RPG would be the perfect genre where all the adventuring will give your character an opportunity to change their perspective on some tragic even that happened at the beginning of the game and actually have a choice between [STAB THEM IN THE HEART] and [YOU'RE NOT WORTH IT], at the very least

So anyway, for the sequel I'd probably most wanna see them abandon the AAA open world formula, maybe have the next game have more focus on hunts, factions, some kind of malleable open world, go really crazy with it

Plum

I'm barely five hours into the game but some proper camera settings would be nice. Having the camera locked at a certain position behind Aloy/whoever's back would be great.

In fact that should be patched in to the existing game. I hate having to click R3 every half a minute so I don't get motion sick from the constant swaying and weird position (why is Aloy on the left when she aims, uses the focus, etc on the right?). It's seriously harming my enjoyment of the game right now and it's a shame because I'm finding it funner than I thought.

LQX

I hope the machines start growing skin and fur. Also, I would love to see a Mastodon. How does game with so much ice and snow not have ice age animals?

Hell, they should really think about hunting dinosaur game DLC or something also. They already have the mechanics. Just add skin, feathers and blood.

Keihart

Better traversal. make exploring the world fun, make me not want to use fast travel or if you can and are that confident take fast travel out.

Side quests that feel like their own stories so there is more of a constant payback so it feels more like and episodic tv series instead of a long movie that you have to stop watching because its so long. This makes short gaming sessions more aprochable and satisfiying.

Give weapons more utilities and let me make meaningful choises. As they are now, you have no reason to chose a weapon(or outfit) over another more than not wanting to go to the menu and chose another one. Chosing a weapon and an outfit should feel like a commitment so that when they do give me an advantage it feels like an acomplishment.
And on the utility side, give some weapons a useful utility , maybe make some of them interact with the world or make them help you navigate the terrain besides just damaging.( for example, tear blast arrow could provoke avalnches or make rocks crumble in some enviroments)

Combat and visuals are the best parts of the game, fighting humans feels like a shore, robot animals are great, more interactions between them and giving the player reason to hunt them more than once would be cool.
Weak points and behaviors are awesome.

NO MORE INVISIBLE WALLS PRETTY PLEASE.

Djostikk

It's becoming real obvious which side keeps perpetuating this silly rivalry. You can go into any random BOTW thread and not see a single post about Horizon. Now go into a Horizon thread and see how many times Zelda is brought up.

Well maybe because Zelda is perfect gem and there's nothing to improve?

120v

the only real issue i had with Horizon was the pacing. felt like when i finally got to sink my teeth into the game it was like "okay! time to finish!"... but for a first effort at an open world game Guerrilla did exceedingly well so i'm optimistic they have nowhere to go but up

few niggling things though... needs an inventory overhaul. just give me currency in lieu of junk, don't divide essentials into separate bulks, that sort of thing. plenty of other games in the genre to take cues from

armor i felt was kind of clumsy... like do you really need separate pieces for ad hoc circumstances. felt like this could have been managed like a regular RPG

and yeah, climbing

gatti-man

• Better, more varied side quests. Taking notes from Witcher 3 would help tremendously for the repetitive ones.
  • More robots to ride.
  • No inventory management or at least add more stuff to buy and use.
  • Proper random encounters.
  • Better human enemy AI.
  • Gyro aim!
  • Ability to wield any of the weapons at any time. Now you have to choose or switch mid-combat. Make ammo more limited or shared between weapons so you can't rely on one weapon all the time.
  • Unique bosses.

Everything but witcher 3. God no. It's side quest design was the reason I couldn't finish it. Side quests are on the side for a reason. I loved how horizon labeled its main quest and let everything else fall to the side. Sometimes you just want to finish and not be weighed down by 1,000 save this meaningless person or get this side quests.

Gxgear

This weird obsession Zelda fanatics have with HZD...good lord.

Some world/hub building functionality maybe, since Project Zero Dawn's goal is to rebuild civilization.

Zyrox

Lots of really good suggestions here. One thing I want to add is give the player good rewards for collecting the collectibles littered around the map. The rewards for the Metal Flowers and figures sucked, only the vantage points were good. I'd like to see more cool optional unique stuff like the shield weaver armor.

More and better crafting, I want extremely complex resource gathering from the downed machines.

I know I`m in the extreme minority but I would play a game, just designing and building weapons out of the found parts.

Havent beat if yet but:

-Much bigger world. Much bigger/varied cities, towns, etc. After Witcher, Horizon pales in comparison and feels very basic

They really arent cities as much as small gathering of a numbered NPCs.

And the surrounding is just wilderness, so having some points of interest sprinkled in would be amazing

-Bigger tribe distinction. I adore Meridian. Its a beautiful settlement that feels like a Prehistoric world. Love the entire lush foliage and town, but I want more like that. And I want much more the in the way of tribes, allowing me to befriend or make enemies of them. I want choices that affect towns, teibe, etc.

Meridian is beautiful and would easily become my favourite cities if it could continue expanding into something fully fledged.

-Much bigger enemy variety. The combat is a treat but feels like the machine size limits variety. Its a basic rock paper scissors mechanic that would benefit from:

-melee overhaul. This would make human combat better and needs to feel a bit Souls-like. It should be its own separate combat thing

-... Not far into the game but a sequel could star in a different area and Im unsure if the machines need to be dinosaurs only. I like the idea of them remaining animal-like but having features like shielda/melee weapons like swords, etc.

-SOTC-like boss fights that encourage platforming..tallnecks tease that kind of gameplay already

-a bunch of tools that let you access areas like in Zelda. In general, I wish more open world games would do this and Horizon has the maneuverabilty down to make it happen

This would be soooo damn good. So many of the mechs are wildly different anyway, it would make for some amazing variation in gameplay. Imagine taking the primary abilities from every mech type. Stalkers could give you momentary invisibility, shell walkers the shield, long legs the sprinting, etc etc.

You could expand traversal options with different sets too.

I'm not very far into the game yet, but variety seems pretty solid, very monster hunter in a way.

roytheone

Better traversal. I am playing through it right now and the limited traversal is really annoying. Aloy can't even climb up a ledge unless it is a special kind..... Works really limiting.

Aloy is a given for a sequel seeing as she still has a shit ton of stuff to do and only she can do.

Right. I just think her story was wrapped up decently enough already, and I don't want to see another high stakes save the world story which is unfortunately where it seems to be going.

I completely adore HZD. It is by far the best new IP this generation for me. I really, really love it.

And yet it blows my mind how much room for improvement, and how much potential there still is. I'm reading a lot of these posts and so much of it seems really fair - I'm constantly nodding my head.

One thing I'd add: make the machines the star of the game. Whatever traversal solution they come up with, should take advantage of the machines inhabiting the world. Hacking should be more involved/deep, so machines can be used as a tool in combat. So on and so forth.

This weird obsession Zelda fanatics have with HZD...good lord.

Some world/hub building functionality maybe, since Project Zero Dawn's goal is to rebuild civilization.

I'd usually agree but I think this thread is going fairly well so far.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
1. less audio logs. put more story into cutscenes. i don't mind lore but i really don't want to listen to audio logs

2. don't have me travelling from one end of the map to the other. that just makes me wanna fast travel.

Top Bottom