• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New nano tech to improve datatransfers inside game consoles by 1000x was invented

Theonik

Their research is related to on-chip optical networks. Not chip-to-chip / board-level networks. This is not clear from the excerpt, but here is the actual paper:
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/7/e1700007

I imagine that the reason game consoles are being used as an example is because they are high-performance SoCs with high bandwidth between processors on the same chip.
That's even less appealing. Now light gates on the other hand...

You should learn more about Australian politics and its own quaint obsession with burning coal.

I'll admit it wasn't a very funny post, especially from the POV of a petroleum engineer :p

OT: This does remind me of 'Infinite Detail's, although at least this is from an established institution.

rrs

Concept is good in theory, and could deliver on gains. in practice, silicon or your choice of exotic metal is way cheaper and easy to make reliable.

And the paper extract says telecom is the most likely to get something with this anyways

tuxfool

Banned
Their research is related to on-chip optical networks. Not chip-to-chip / board-level networks. This is not clear from the excerpt, but here is the actual paper:
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/7/e1700007

I imagine that the reason game consoles are being used as an example is because they are high-performance SoCs with high bandwidth between processors on the same chip.

That makes a lot more sense than what was quoted in the OP.

Lebon14

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, bus speeds are not the main issue in consoles but the slow CPUs and GPUs. Improving data transfer between them is not going to solve that issue if even right now for example PCI-E bus speeds (e.g. x8 vs x16) don't really matter even on PCs.

Yep. If the buses were already large enough, it's not going to change anything unless the CPU and GPU are made stronger to get that much info.

It *does* matter though but, it's not exactly the first bottleneck you'll be likely to encounter.

Theonik

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, bus speeds are not the main issue in consoles but the slow CPUs and GPUs. Improving data transfer between them is not going to solve that issue if even right now for example PCI-E bus speeds (e.g. x8 vs x16) don't really matter even on PCs.
This is because all important Data in a GPU lives inside the GPU. There is still some performance benefit for higher end GPUs though.
You are very much writing your code with the memory architecture in mind.

The paper actualy says this technology is for on and offchip usage. So you would deliver an optical datastream between all chips on a mainboard. Thats probably why they suggested a game console as an application.

Top Bottom