• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Knuckles Chaotix

Sonic Mania got me in the mood to replay this and beat it this time:

Knuckle's Chaotix is SEGA's ugly duckling. They have not re-released the game since it came out in 1995.

This is such a polarizing game amongst Sonic fans. Its a glitchy, cluttered mess with colorful characters, great music, and just a totally whacked-out trippy art style.

The main complaints are the main gameplay mechanic: where you and a CPU partner are tethered by an elastic-band ring thingy. This mechanic is used to build momentum and jumping to unreachable places, as well as puzzles. It can feel like you're restricted and handcuffed at times (because you are)

The level design isn't noteworthy. It can get very random at times. The levels often doesn't play to the strengths of the game's engine and the gameplay style of the Sonic series in general. Most are a series of obstacles and random platforming and enemies scattered throughout. They're still fun to play through because they're so much fun to look at, and the soundtrack is killer.

I think the main thing that compels people to this game, is that it just feels like a statement and an experiment. Its a melting pot of ideas that at times produces great results, and other times it can get real ugly. It's the most unique game in the Sonic series, and one of the most unique games in general. There's nothing like Knuckles Chaotix.

What does GAF think about the game?

Sidenote: The romhack that lets you play as Sonic (replacing Mighty) is fucking sweet.

Gin-Shiio

My brother bought this game for over 100 bucks for his collection a few weeks ago. He'd never actually played it, and neither had I. So we gave it a shot, and oh boy. This game is terrible. And not only is it terrible, it also is terribly long. We were mildly entertained by the absence of level design and Mighty's OP ability in co-op, but our laughter grew into long faces when we realized every damn stage has 5 or so levels. It's a horrible slog, and a bad game, no way around it.

Stopdoor

I keep waiting for images to load in the double spaces between your paragraphs, why?

Anyway, yeah, I've only had an extremely brief experience with this game - someone brought it as a ROM to a multiplayer meetup to try to get us to play it co-op. Yeah uh, it definitely felt more than a bit off. Unfortunately don't remember much more.

I can see why people remember it though, considering it's the closest thing to a pre-Sonic Adventure major 2D Sonic game other than the old Master System/Game Gear stuff, right?

EmiPrime

Great graphics and music married to a boring game with terrible level design and an annoying gimmick. For die hard Sonic apologists only.

Vorg

Banned
The levels are empty. There's literally nothing to do but run around. This isn't a return to a party. There never was a party.

The game gets everything right but the most important thing. The level design. It's completely nonexistent.

53OSwoD.gif

Just what the hell is this supposed to be?

Rlan

Visually it's a treat. Each level changing time of day depending on the order you get to it is really cool.

tumblr_ordjv000qp1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_ordj8kKUsi1w1kerio1_r1_500.gif

Lijik

I like the game a lot (mostly for its presentation and quirks), but it cant be denied the levels are empty as fuck. Theyre like those Amiga/DOS Sonic knockoffs where they just made a simple maze like layout and added some slopes and said "Just like Sonic!"

The only notable thing about it is each zone becomes more complex each time you return to it and builds off the same general design, like theyre amusement park attractions mid-construction. Which is a neat concept but means every zone feels super samey across their five(!!!) levels
Db5qseB.gif

The game gets everything right but the most important thing. The level design. It's completely nonexistent.
This is the only criticism I've heard of the game I've ever agreed with. The maps are just so confusingly laid out.

But an amazing soundtrack that's among the best in the franchise's history, beautiful sprite visuals only just now surpassed by Sonic Mania, and a cast of great characters. I even loved Heavy and Bomb.

And Metal Sonic's final form was so rad.

This is such a polarizing game amongst Sonic fans

I don't think this is the case really. I'd argue most would agree that it's a heavily flawed game with excellent presentation. Not saying it can't be enjoyable, hell I really enjoy it, but it's definitely not your typical experience.

Stage design is pretty empty and enemies are very non-threatening because of the tether, and at the same times stages are built vertically and with many S-style slopes for you to use your tether abilities to climb and maintain speed. It can also be discouraging knowing things like the spindash or momentum in general don't work quite like the original trilogy

FWIW getting a hang of the tether and how the game flows can still be pretty enjoyable along with the bomb aesthetic the game has; the experience overall isn't as frustrating as is often claimed. But I think given how each Act is pretty similar-feeling to the previous in either zone/attraction, it's best to approach the game in bit-sized pieces instead of trying to blow through it all at once, which also gives you chances to play around with the roster and appreciate things like the day/night cycle it has going on.

For what it is it's a perfectly enjoyable, if odd little experiment. And given there's a tutorial in this game it might be easier for people to understand its goals as well.

zenspider

I loved this game on release on later in emulation. I'd list it as my favorite Sonic behind 2 and Rush.
GAF's seeming consensus gives me pause, as I haven't played it in at least a decade.

Top Bottom