• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

In the TEE platform standard picture below (HW Secure Resources) is a Near Field Communication controller. This allows Credit cards with RF chips embedded in them to communicate with the NFC controller. It can also support the OP PS4 Disk DRM patent and automatic pairing with accessories.

GP_Standardization_500.png

AMD has had ARM trustzone CPUs in their APUs for several years with each successive APU generation properly supporting more of the below list.

There are multiple needs for DRM with each needing varying hardware support: Secure boot, IPTV, HDMI HDCP and TEE for information exposed in credit card transactions which has high security and requires the most hardware support.

A ARM trustzone processor in Llano, for instance, can support secure boot but it doesn't support the ARM trustzone recommendations for TEE. Any AMD APU that needs a southbridge....I.E. is not a SoC with all IO in the same chip, does not meet the TEE recommendations. Kavari, Kabini, Temesh do not not meet TEE recommendations but next years 2014 Samara with UNB does meet TEE requirements even if it only has a ARM Cortex A5 processor.

Both the XB1 and PS4 have southbridge chips so how do they support TEE? How will the PS3.5 and Xbox 361 support TEE? The answer for the PS4 is that the Southbridge is a ARM SoC containing everything to support TEE. The AMD APU that is used for the PS4 is generic and AMD has said it will be for sale to other vendors....it does not contain Trustzone and likely does not contain any video accelerators...it will be sold to companies that will be using designs with 2014 AMD SoCs like Samara which with UNB has all the IO, security and accelerators in it. If you look at leaked VI discrete GPUs, they also contain CPUs like the PS4 APU but because they can be paired with Intel CPUs in a non AMD embedded motherboard, Trustzone and video accelerators/video output is still a part of the discrete VI GPU.

Microsoft in the XB1 is not following ARM TEE recommendations but they don't plan on allowing any other OS to run on their hardware and are using 3 virtual engines running in protected (sandboxed) memory and IO.

I've tried to point out that security and POWER are major factor in the designs of the PS4 and XB1 and LIKELY of a refreshed PS3.5 and Xbox 361. If they are to support RVU and ATSC 2.0 with XTV they will be running a open to the world platform with the potential of third party software attempting to hack into the OS and TEE routines.

It's either End of Life with the PS3 4000 and Xbox 360E or they will be refreshed in 2014 to support TEE. This does not require using all ARM but to properly support TEE there are hardware requirements that the current MMU and GPUs in both older consoles can't support (see bottom right HW secure resources). Just as with the Yukon slide, everything in the TEE picture above has implications. The display has to be secure and be able to display secure elements like Icons that indicate to the user that the transaction is secure.

The Keyboard also has to support encryption/copy protection to prevent keyboard intercepts of credit card numbers; the same might apply to the PS4 controller which is a reason for not allowing a PS3 controller to work on the PS4.

DC1

Ahh, a Rigby post, always interesting once someone smarter than me translates.

Lol. I was able to digest 80% of it. However that 20% is were all the juicy bits are.

Very good stuff Rigby.
I guess I'm in my comfort zone as PM. Now I kind of wish I was a mad hardware engineer.

Top Bottom