• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Sephzilla

I have to wonder what's up with #2. I mean, it's weird to have one of your most popular acts not wrestling, right? Or did they just realize that everyone likes their promos and their wrestling is stale?

Well, honestly, I'm noticing that the entire card for WrestleMania is almost entirely lighter-skinned people. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE's not-so-subtle racism has struck again.

I hope that's not a too-hot topic to discuss

Kaladin

Well, honestly, I'm noticing that the entire card for WrestleMania is almost entirely lighter-skinned people. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE's not-so-subtle racism has struck again.

If that was the case, I don't think they would be featured so prominently in the event. Host of Wrestlemania is a big thing, I just see it as more of a a celebrity or legend role. One way of looking at it, I guess is that it's better than making the Raw tag title ladder match 4 ways. Lets face it, everyone loves New Day's promos, their matches aren't bad, but it's not what they're known for.

daevv

Any good Wrestlemania Pick'em Pool checklists out yet I can steal and use for my mini party? Last year I just typed out the matches and we circled who we thought would win...

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Maybe some white 60 year old legend will beat them up or something.

Heroman

Banned
giphy.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Always found it strange that a man who works in insurance is also a part-time arsonist.

You'd be frankly shocked how many arsonists get away with stuff because they have a damn good excuse for being there if they get caught....

Ahh shit, I bought the live only PROGRESS iPPV forgetting it was on Friday and I'll just be finishing work when it starts

Email WWNLive or bother them on twitter, they've been pretty good about upgrading my live only to VOD when I've asked in the past (and one time even when I fell asleep during the show haha).

gun_haver

New Day hosting might be more of a get the most value out of them while you still can sort of thing. As people said, their matches are fine but not great, and also their group style was a heel style - cheating, distractions, complaining/other antics - which they don't want to lean into too hard as faces but they don't really have anything to replace it with. So sure, rather than just break them up now that they have kind of gone through their stable lifecycle completely, why not keep them out of the ring for a bit and use their persona as a wrestlemania attraction.

Then, afterwards, you could potentially break them up and have 3 singles stars who are all very solid on the microphone (especially in the current context) and probably have better matches in them than they've had a chance to show. Kofi I understand has had a good few runs as a singles guy, so maybe he will just be a midcarder, but Xavier and Big E both have a lot of potential.

It seems unlikely the WWE would give them all the chance they all deserve individually, but New Day could potentially generate 3 top black stars for the WWE which would go a long way to ameliorating that melanin deficency people are talking about. They've all got something slightly different to offer and can get over if given the chance.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Xavier has the lowest potential as a singles star right now, his wrestling is pretty boring and his part of the gimmick is the one that dooms someone to comedy forever.

Big E might be something huge one day.

Sephzilla

New Day breaking up is going to be bad for all three. Since I have no confidence in WWE creative I fully expect all three of them to revert back to what they were prior to New Day forming. Kofi is going to go back to the Kofi Clock. Xavier is low card comedy shit forever. Big E will be a midcard wrestler, admittedly he's the only one who has a chance of breaking into the main event scene. Xavier has a future as a manager or a commentator.

Ah man, Smackdown women getting slotted into to preshow. Ah well, it's not like they had a big story going in. Maybe next year they can have an important match.

WM's so focused on getting everybody on the card over building stories that it's doubtful. To be honest I think they should do something along the lines of one on ones for both titles on the main show and a mixed inter-brand battle royal on the pre-show to determine the number one contender.

Three matches on the WrestleMania kickoff now:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/33

Not that the booking warranted it being on the main show (They basically just handed the belt back to Bliss but then just stopped telling aby sort of story at all) but after all the boasting Bryan did about how Smackdown has given so much of the spotlight to their women in comparison to Raw it's funny that their match ends up on the pre-show and the Raw one on the main show.

It's also funny that the ladder stipulation is literally the only reason that triple threat Tag is on the main show.

But again Pre show vs Main Show is basically fuck all difference now...

That and the reason the match was made a ladder match.

Yeah it's like they said this match has no reason being on the main show but fuck it we want it on sooo uhhhhh ladder match.

Though I wonder if the Smackdown women's match wasn't slotted for the Mania ladder match spot and maybe some test runs behind the scenes led them to believe it'd be a disaster...

Because that was the match that up until literally this week had the most potential build to a ladder match.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not that the booking warranted it being on the main show (They basically just handed the belt back to Bliss but then just stopped telling aby sort of story at all) but after all the boasting Bryan did about how Smackdown has given so much of the spotlight to their women in comparison to Raw it's funny that their match ends up on the pre-show and the Raw one on the main show.

It's also funny that the ladder stipulation is literally the only reason that triple threat Tag is on the main show.

But again Pre show vs Main Show is basically fuck all difference now...

Second best match last year was on the preshow.

Top Bottom