• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, apparently, my town has a "prototype" Gamestop.

Movement

AzureJericho said:
Gainesville, FL you say? Well, I know where I'm hitting up after I get my Shands paycheck next time. The store looks and sounds like some hot shit. :lol

And smells like it too.
nerds

imperium

The general look of that Gamestop looks a lot like the recent remodel that my local Blockbuster went through. The new layout seems to really focus on new game sales and Blu ray while having a hipper, sleek look.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
That's pretty sweet. I'm not a Gamestop hater, so this is good news : )

2DMention

Banned
Looks pretty cool to me. I like the little PSP/DS nook.

No chance we'll get one of those in MN (Unless they open one in the mega mall)

imperium said:
The general look of that Gamestop looks a lot like the recent remodel that my local Blockbuster went through. The new layout seems to really focus on new game sales and Blu ray while having a hipper, sleek look.
Yeah, my Blockbuster is pretty nice.

dork

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
I bet they still sell you display copies as new.

Cool store, though.

your dumbass would probably suffocate on the shrinkwrap anyway
discs dont degrade, i hope you did get a used one

definitely wouldn't want to work at that gamestop though, shit would get broken with the dirt bags who shop there

Tobor

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Wow, Gamestop makes an effort to improve their stores and all people can do is bitch about it?

I think most of us are looking for a different type of "improvement".

dork said:
your dumbass would probably suffocate on the shrinkwrap anyway
discs dont degrade, i hope you did get a used one
What...? And I'm the dumbass? Also, I'm not sure how complaining about being sold opened games as new equates to me being stupid enough that I would "suffocate on the shrinkwrap". I have a legitimate complaint while you are just trying to be an asshole.

Tobor said:
I think most of us are looking for a different type of "improvement".
So if your wife gets a tit job but her ass is still tiny, you're not gonna compliment the tits? You're just gonna complain that her ass is still small?

At least they're doing something to improve.

Tobor

pizzaguysrevenge said:
So if your wife gets a tit job but her ass is still tiny, you're not gonna compliment the tits? You're just gonna complain that her ass is still small?

The boob job would be nice, but I'd still be pissed about my wife peddling her used goods all over town.

pizzaguysrevenge said:

The ass and tits are irrelevant if the sex is piss poor. Wait, did I just say that having sex is like doing business with Gamestop? I really don't like this metaphor.
Tobor said:
The boob job would be nice, but I'd still be pissed about my wife peddling her used goods all over town.
That's a good way to put it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
KR3W said:
Amazon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gamestop.

No one would argue that. But a lot of the GameStop hate gets to be a bit much. Yes, they sell opened games as new. So, refuse it if that bothers you. They're not throwing them around like Frisbee or anything.

M.J. Doja

Banned
so if there is one copy left of a game which happens to be the display copy, and it gets sold to you, you expect a used game/discounted rate?

very wrong. Its not a mom'n'pop.
shopping or just being in gamestop sucks anyway, that store looks very nice though

w3stfa11

Feep said:
... and near the back was a four-person DS/PSP congregation with some spiffy modern-look red chairs (picture B), which looked oddly like a hookah.

2s85rgm.jpg

My first impression too!

Brendon

So they're basically improving GameStop the same way I improved my basement. Tear up the old, worn-out floors, put down some new ones, and upgrade the electronics to modern ones.

Looks nice, but like some others have said it's not exactly the best improvement I could see the store making. Then again, from a business standpoint I probably wouldn't change anything if I was part of the corp.

Feep

Banned
Man, there's a lot of GS hate in here.

My opinion on GS' biggest complaints are as follows:

1. Their used-game services are relatively unfair to the consumer, and prevent the publisher from reaping their just rewards. However, they merely offer a service; it is the consumer's decision to go ahead and use it. It does not affect their selling of new games, and if you disagree with the concept, you can elect to only buy new. Slap your fellow gamers for using the service, not the business whose sole responsibility is to make money.

2. (On gutting display copies:) Physical media (which I hate) is merely a transportation vessel for a sequence of ones and zeros. How does removing a disc from a box in any way alter the true product, those zeros and ones? The disc is undamaged, and the display aspect of the product, the box, is unaltered. You get your shiny case, you get your ones and zeros, and any complaints thereafter seem rather self-righteous. Also, a business has a responsibility to protect their goods, which is the primary purpose of gutting. (Note: sometimes the sticker they put on the box leaves a sticky residue, in which case you have a legitimate argument, because I hate that stuff. Also, I guess, if you're a collector and you want a sealed copy.)

YagizY

Hey OP funny you mention this, I was there just 4 days ago as well (I go to UF) and was talking with some of the workers there about how ridiculous the new store is. Some of the workers their are my friends IRL and they were telling me about this prototype stuff. The store is quite fantastic as far as presentation. I like that they have like 5 360's and 5 ps3's all with DIFFERENT games you can play. I am happy about all this because I usually go there to hit up used games sales when they have the 20% coupons.

Feep

Banned
YagizY said:
Hey OP funny you mention this, I was there just 4 days ago as well (I go to UF) and was talking with some of the workers there about how ridiculous the new store is. Some of the workers their are my friends IRL and they were telling me about this prototype stuff. The store is quite fantastic as far as presentation. I like that they have like 5 360's and 5 ps3's all with DIFFERENT games you can play. I am happy about all this because I usually go there to hit up used games sales when they have the 20% coupons.
Do you know the cute blonde? o_O

Feep said:
sometimes the sticker they put on the box leaves a sticky residue, in which case you have a legitimate argument, because I hate that stuff.

The price stickers on new games are almost always totally easy and clean to remove...but the stickers used to 'reseal' gutted cases once they're sold can be a pain - they're crazy sticky, we're talking adhesive all over the place.

Whenever I buy new games and no sealed game is available, I just make sure they don't bother trying to put that final sticker on it. In doing so, you waive your right to return it unsealed for a refund, but unless I'm buying a gift, that's irrelevant to me.

YagizY

Galactic Fork said:
Yeah, in the plaza with Wal-mart and Books A Million

Yeah all the Rhino's turned into Gamestops in Gainesville about 2-3 years ago. The gamestop on 13th is a shithole with a bunch of assholes working there for the most part. I didn't really mind because although Rhino carried NES, SNES, and Genesis stuff they were overpriced out the asshole. Any decent SNES game was like 20 bucks which is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Super Mario World was like 25. The best thing that happened to Rhino is when they were getting ready to make the switch over to gamestop and they clearanced out there SNES stuff. I got 19 SNES games for 23 bucks (including Super Mario World which was .25 cents).

rjcc

Ninja Scooter said:
so it doesn't fix anything that sucks about Gamestop?

I'm an OG gamestop hater, and surprisingly, I've been there twice in the last 6 months and both times was surprised by a pleasant experience. helpful, knowledgeable staff that didn't push used games on me or sell me display copies as new or hassle me about preordering.

of course, it's possible that I've lost my mind and I didn't actually go to gamestop, but if I did, I was impressed.

Top Bottom