• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Youtube Getting tough on video game monetization in 2014

Abounder

Banned
Publishers don't understand how much these videos and streams make them. The uploaders/streamers are not charging publishers a dime to play these games. It really is free advertisement for the publisher.

I agree, and it makes me wonder if this is more of a legal department issue versus what promoters/marketers want

I think it is a very difficult area.

On the one hand I completely agree with a publisher's rights to do as they please and if they decide they don't want people making money off of their content then I wouldn't call them out-dated or tight gits, as I understand their business decision.

On the other hand, some YouTubers do put considerable effort in. Some do not, and I think that is what can make it challenging. Some do both and try to abuse their network status and make big money from literally re-posting trailers or promo footage.

However, they're still promoting the product and if you think about music, a music channel on TV runs adverts and profits from others' creative works for that reason.

ZeroGravity

Well, the others have a stance of "Yeah, go ahead and make videos. :) Just no ads, you can't make money off our copy righted content."

Nintendo's stance is. "Yeah, ho ahead and make videos. :) We'll put ads on your videos and we'll make all the money off your videos. Thanks for your money!"
That's not evil, that's smart.

Exposure leads to greater sales, plenty of studies have shown. So I'm afraid you're totally off the mark here.

Which studies show that video walkthroughs of Beyond on youtube, bumped the sales of said game? Combined there must be about 10 million views of Beyond's part 1 walkthroughs. I wonder how much the game sold.

For good games not focused on story, and good multiplayer games? Sure.

James93

Yea, i expected an LP market crash eventually as publishers got pissed off, but this is much sooner than expected, since the LP market is still skyrocketing. Hopefully a deal is worked out, so that most people who use LP money as their primary income are not completely fucked and have time to land on their feet.

Networks are going to get killed. An average royalty is around 25% of the gross margin. Alot of these people have next to no operating costs, you could see a 20% royalty for gameplay

HariKari

I think the biggest issue is the fact that I can watch any game beginning to end on my own time. At least on Twitch, I'm watching whatever the user is currently playing. Of course, there's also archiving on Twitch, but disabling that for many games I think is the perfect solution.

They will come for Twitch eventually. I'm not sure I am buying your example. Watching someone play a game on Twitch is a valid use of a game to earn money whereas releasing a detailed and highly edited guide is not, simply because the Twitch footage is a stream that won't be archived? Because the guide can be recalled?

I've bought numerous games based off of footage and commentary on Youtube. It's free advertising. No publisher is losing revenue here. They do not offer competing services that are being killed by Youtubers. It's just a way for publishers to control the messaging around their game and to have more control. We will likely see any video using footage of a game that is critical torpedoed by blanket DMCA requests or request via these tighter agreements. It's not something I'm looking forward to.

Madao

i wonder where speedrunning videos fit in all of this.

they're mostly gameplay but it is on a level not many people can do that easily irl and sometimes show things that look impossible to do for 99% of the players.

orhnsnmz

I have seen a lot of posts from people saying they just watched a playthrough of TLOU to see the story.

This. Good friend of mine doesn't even own a PS3, but knows EVERYTHING about TLOU because he just WATCHED the whole game on Youtube.

So, I guess I can kind of understand Naughty Dog's point of view on this, because games like TLOU (or Heavy Rain for that matter) are basically animated movies with player interaction.

darkpower

Banned
The people that actually make money off of this put in as many hours or more than a full time job dude.

You should've seen the amount of time and effort I put into making my Anita Sarkeesian videos. I had a lot of graphical effects to show things like credits and the sort, but it took a lot of effort to do what I wanted to do with it (show the right footage at the right time, get the quotes, render the video, do the spoken word, be interesting and make people listen to what you have to say, etc.). It's far from a free ride!

Fantasmo

Which studies show that video walkthroughs of Beyond on youtube, bumped the sales of said game? Combined there must be about 10 million views of Beyond's part 1 walkthroughs. I wonder how much the game sold.

For good games not focused on story, and good multiplayer games? Sure.

The same could probably be said of The Walking Dead, wouldn't you say? Hm... I wonder how well that did in comparison to Beyond and why that might be?

Velcro Fly

Also I can't tell you how many games I've purchased based on watching a little gameplay footage. Persona 3/4 is a huge example. I watched a little bit of a walkthrough and totally fell in love. I've bought Persona 3 a few times now. It's absurd

hyp

I've purchased several games based on gameplay videos. Not too smart on the publishers part.

ahuffman

Banned
As if Google had not already ruined YT enough, just so frustrating. If they want to turn off ads, I could live with that, but if they take down all of the videos then screw all of them.

MarkusRJR

Guess I'm rarely going to go on YouTube then. 90% of my subscriptions are game related. I don't understand the idea that LPs are bad. I've purchased more games due to LPs than a game review or trailer. I rarely avoid bad games due to LPs either. Usually it's reviews and metacritic that make me avoid poor games.

So logically the next step is to kill game reviews too? (only half serious and mostly butthurt)

If I can't watch Game Grumps, Jon Tron, Crendor, LAG tv, Angry Joe, Day[9], or Total Biscuit anymore, I probably won't waste as much time as I do anymore.

I guess that's a good thing? :|

Edit:
It's just about turning off the ads.
Isn't that why these exsist though? I guess really large people could work something out with the publishers.

So I guess let's plays are pretty much done now. I don't watch them much anyway but it sucks for the many that do.
That's not what a lot of this means. Some companies want a very strict clampdown but no one is forcing LPs to die. A lot just take issue with the monetization and others are openly saying that derivative works are fine. Does that mean fewer LPs? Yes, of course, but I'll have to be as fan derivative work instead of a side business.

Preemo

Banned
why wouldnt publishers want people to make money off of a built up community of followers. even if it is an entity not directly affiliated with said publisher?

phileep

If I can't watch Game Grumps, Jon Tron, Crendor, LAG tv, Angry Joe, Day[9], or Total Biscuit anymore, I probably won't waste as much time as I do anymore.

Edit: Isn't that why these exsist though? I guess really large people could work something out with the publishers.

Yeah they exist to make money. Though the question I was answering was about taking down videos already in place. I'm unsure of how it will affect what content creators will do as a result of this and what sort of hoops they'll need to jump through.

I'm sure channels like TB, GG and PDP will be fine. They're huge money makers for their networks, they won't let them just die.

Considering some games aren't that far removed from movies I can see why some LPs could harm sales.

That said unedited gameplay videos is how I make my purchasing choices, if the likes of Total Biscuit vanished from YT I'd be less willing to take a risk on a game. Hell most of the niche games I play are down to seeing it on YT.

I know publishers like to carefully manage their titles marketing but the reason why YT is a great source for the buying public is that it's mostly PR spin free unlike gaming sites which rely on publisher Ad revenue.

TyrantII

I don't really get why Activsion or EA would want to cut down on youtube footage of BF4/CoD. You could easily argue such footage helps move more copies of those games. And then both companies invite out major youtubers to their events in order to generate hype. Doesn't make sense to turn around and deny them a way to earn money from their work.

Because they don't released finished games, and ultimately that's going to hurt their brand and sales.

Think of how many people haven't been suckered into buying premium this go around due to the issues.

Granted, its more reactionary than realistic that it'll stop all the bad news. But you;d be surprised how irrational companies can be in protecting their images and brands; even when their heavy handiness actually hurts more than helps.

Gives the overpaid layers work and justification for their salaries, and gives CEO's something to be heavy-handed with, and look powerful, while being a sort term solution shareholders value over all else.

0wing

Edit: Isn't that why these exsist though? I guess really large people could work something out with the publishers.

Most of those channels will be "managed" not affiliates. Nothing will change for them.

This is gonna suck if you are starting up or have a small to medium sized independent channel. The Pewdiepie's, Roosterteeth's and all the other big whales will be fine. No one wants to touch them because its just bad publicity if they make some noise. But the small guys can be silenced easily.

So the only option for those guys will be to either stop what they are doing (which sucks for people who follow them) or try to get a contract with the likes of Machinima (which sucks for them because what I hear about Machinima isnt exactly glowing reports from up and coming youtube guys).

Mostly it sucks if you enjoy well made game videos on youtube. Sure there are a ton of awfully awkward commentary people but there are a lot of entertaining guys as well.

Twitch is probably laughing right now. They're the obvious place for people to migrate to if they had a better video search/pre-recorded video upload feature.

Hedge

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I don't watch these kinds of videos, but reading about all of this, I think it is the right course of action.
Let's see how it unfolds, though. The intent with the rule does not always equate directly to how it is carried out - and who it reaches.

kuroshiki

Wait so does this mean I can't watch commentary free walkthrough? I don't have to play game, I just watch the game playthrough!

KoopaTheCasual

This is gonna suck if you are starting up or have a small to medium sized independent channel. The Pewdiepie's, Roosterteeth's and all the other big whales will be fine. No one wants to touch them because its just bad publicity if they make some noise. But the small guys can be silenced easily.

So the only option for those guys will be to either stop what they are doing (which sucks for people who follow them) or try to get a contract with the likes of Machinima (which sucks for them because what I hear about Machinima isnt exactly glowing reports from up and coming youtube guys).

Mostly it sucks if you enjoy well made game videos on youtube. Sure there are a ton of awfully awkward commentary people but there are a lot of entertaining guys as well.

Did you not read the OP? This concerns affiliates of Machinima just as much now. The system used to allow partners covered under big networks like Machinima to stay safe. The update is that this is no longer the case. Lots of people and networks like Machinima are fucked by this new policy. They need to reach some sort of royalty deal, or else the whole Youtube Let's Play industry is no longer stable/sustainable.

Oxirane

Just do a revenue share, that share is determined by doing experiments with 2 videos.

1 - just the captured game footage and audio
2 - a recording of the player commentary,headshots and hands movements on controller.

Make sure the videos can't be synced up, then release them to the audience to determine the revenue split.

Damaniel

Banned
If it's that easy you should try it sometime.

Seriously, how hard can it be? Play a few games, record yourself doing it, crack a few jokes and post the results on Youtube. Sure, it helps if you're funny or insightful (then again, PewDiePie is neither), but it's not exactly hard labor.

A Youtube without let's plays would become effectively useless. A Youtube with let's plays made by people doing it mainly for fun and not for compensation would be alright with me. It would still suck for the people that do it for a living though - I'm guessing we'd get a ton more let's plays of indie stuff in place of AAA stuff. That's also fine with me; most of the major let's players are concentrating heavily on indie stuff anyway.

jsip

Banned
"Hello, I have 1 zillion YouTube subscribers to my gaming channel. I see you do not want me to make videos which help sell your game to millions if I monetize it. I'm totally cool with that. If you want me to keep making videos to help you, you can pay me X dollars for every 5 minutes of gameplay footage." -should be what every YouTube gamer says.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Play games, control yourself while playing if you're on camera, watch the time, save out the file, do editing, etc...

Let's not forget that you still have to be entertaining, which is not as easy as people say.

I'd say they should get rid of channels that is just gameplay footage.

Top Bottom