• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kirby Wii (HAL), Pandora's Tower, More [Confirmed, Kirby Trailer Added]

Anth0ny

Hero of Legend said:
I almost wish Nintendo went with that SSB 2.5 idea Iwata mentioned, something about taking Melee and adding online or whatever.

Coming soon

I agree that Epic Yarn didn't really feel like a Kirby game. I mean, it originally wasn't even going to be a Kirby game, so this new Kirby is the first "true" Kirby game for the Wii in a way.

Boney said:
Yeah I haven't gotten gold on Moai as well hahaha, but the main difference is, flicking is as instantenous as a button, so it can be used. Motion, especially constant one is not accurate for a rhythm based game.

As Iwata said, the main draw here is social rhythm heaven.
Haven't you ever played Mario Galaxy? Flicking the remote registers instantaneously. If you press A and shake the remote at the same time, then he usually spins before jumping. (Though you can't actually see him spin if you do this since the jump cancels it out, but you can hear the whoosh sound to confirm that the game registered the spin before the jump.) Anyway, even if you haven't played it or a game with a similarly fast motion response time, I still don't see why you would think it would take any longer to register than flicking the touch screen, which worked perfectly in the DS game.

swerve

Boney said:
Yeah I haven't gotten gold on Moai as well hahaha, but the main difference is, flicking is as instantenous as a button, so it can be used. Motion, especially constant one is not accurate for a rhythm based game.

Flicking the wii remote is far quicker than flicking the pen on the DS screen, which requires you to sort of learn when to let your pen leave the screen, etc.

Play the drum test on Wii Music and you'll see that there is not going to be a problem with wii remote shakes for rhythm tengoku wii. It would be a shame for them not to use it - the physical action will actually connect you to the music and the other players much more than an invisible thumb press.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
actually it looks like they dusted off the old kirby from 6 years ago and finished it because hey why not keep making games for a dead system.

hey that reminds me how easy it would be to LOCALIZE XENOBLADE AND LAST STORY to fill in the black hole that is the Wii software lineup next year

anyway they have a bunch of unannounced software so I'm expecting some more ROM dumps

D-Pad

Boney said:
I wonder if they'll move Kirby DS4, for 3DS now and stall it, so there's not a kirby overload.

I'd rather Canvas Curse or something like it. Kirby spin-offs are better than most of the mainline games. :p Kirby's Dream Course would make great use of the 3DS's 3D feature.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Kirby looks awesome, can't wait, though does look somewhat unoriginal compared to Epic Yarn, ah well, Kirby's always great.

Rhythm Heaven looks so much fun too, reminds me why I loved the original so much, please come to NA.

Amir0x said:
hey that reminds me how easy it would be to LOCALIZE XENOBLADE AND LAST STORY to fill in the black hole that is the Wii software lineup next year

anyway they have a bunch of unannounced software so I'm expecting some more ROM dumps
2012 is still ways off though.

Loving the look of Kirby.

Dartastic

Iwata said:
Iwata: The reason they are only releasing dogs at launch, is because the software that is equivalent to wii sports for the wii is pre-bundled into the 3ds. Also they wanted attention for 3rd parties.

Because of this, they have games that were completed even before dogs yet will be released afterwards
I'm not sure why this is a shock to anyone. It was pretty obvious that certain games (COUGHOoTCOUGH) were held back so they could give 3rd parties some room, as well as have a title to make the hardcore pick it up later if they were holding back on launch shenanigans.

Boney

Banned
D-Pad said:
I'd rather Canvas Curse or something like it. Kirby spin-offs are better than most of the mainline games. :p Kirby's Dream Course would make great use of the 3DS's 3D feature.
but uh... that's what it was kinda.

You used 10 kirbys via stylus

[Nintex]

Drkirby said:
YAY KIRBY WII :D

Now when does it come out?
Nintendo has been really vague with release dates lately so I guess something like this

Somewhat near Zelda Skyward Sword after Pandora's Tower is out but in between the launch window of Ocarina of Time 3D past june 2011 in the first half quarter of the current fiscal century.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont know about Kirby. I want to be hype, but the game has been in development for so goddamn long I cant help but think it's had some serious development issues and at this point Nintendo just want to push it out. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Otherwise, I fucking wish Nintendo would show something for the Wii soon. Zelda is the only game for the Western world they've got prepared, and at this rate we'll be waiting until halfway through the year before we here anything more.

EatChildren said:
Otherwise, I fucking wish Nintendo would show something for the Wii soon. Zelda is the only game for the Western world they've got prepared, and at this rate we'll be waiting until halfway through the year before we here anything more.
Don't worry! Disaster, Another Code R, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame 4, Fatal Frame 2 remake, The Last Story, Rhythm Tengoku, and Zengeki no Reginleiv will fill in the gaps.

With so many Nintendo-published games on the way, the Wii's library is stronger than ever!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
EatChildren said:
I dont know about Kirby. I want to be hype, but the game has been in development for so goddamn long I cant help but think it's had some serious development issues and at this point Nintendo just want to push it out. Hopefully I'm wrong.
You can't really believe Kirby was in development all these years. Recent sales of Wii platformers made Nintendo give life again to a forgotten project.

wrowa

Chris1964 said:
You can't really believe Kirby was in development all these years. Recent sales of Wii platformers made Nintendo give life again to a forgotten project.
I think his point is that there has to be a reason why Nintendo put the development on ice to begin with. E.g. Nintendo wasn't satisfied with the quality of earlier versions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:
Don't worry! Disaster, Another Code R, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame 4, Fatal Frame 2 remake, The Last Story, Rhythm Tengoku, and Zengeki no Reginleiv will fill in the gaps.

With so many Nintendo-published games on the way, the Wii's library is stronger than ever!

Hey, at least I got Disaster and Another Code R, and the Fatal Frame 4 fan translation
emot-c00lbertgmjb.gif

Chris1964 said:

Of course, but its obviously built on the foundations of an otherwise dead project, which makes me worried as to why it didn't release earlier.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

like i dunno, a few minutes or an hour before we heard that the kirby gc game was finally coming out as this wii thing, i made a comment about how monado/xenoblade was going to be quietly removed from the upcoming wii release list like kirby was. the fact that they're still calling it monado:subtitle makes me think the game actually is on the way, because if kirby could teach a class, kirby could teach a class.

AniHawk said:
like i dunno, a few minutes or an hour before we heard that the kirby gc game was finally coming out as this wii thing, i made a comment about how monado/xenoblade was going to be quietly removed from the upcoming wii release list like kirby was. the fact that they're still calling it monado:subtitle makes me think the game actually is on the way, because if kirby could teach a class, kirby could teach a class.
I think it'd be pretty shitty if they didn't release Monado/Xenoblade here considering it was announced first in America, but they did that for Disaster too.

I'll maintain a healthy balance of caution and optimism over Xenoblade and Last Story being released here.

[Nintex]

EatChildren said:
Of course, but its obviously built on the foundations of an otherwise dead project, which makes me worried as to why it didn't release earlier.
My guess is that Sakurai first took some of his HAL friends to work on Brawl and when that was finished some of them moved with him to Project Sora. It was probably in development all this time but put on 'hold' whenever the team had to help their old buddy.

Big One

Banned
I think it's more likely that it's a new game built from the ground up rather than Kirby GC revived. It doesn't really look too much like Kirby GC.

sfried

Hero of Legend said:
They call the Kirby game part of the Kirby's Dream Land series.

Is it just a general name for the whole series to them (like the English way of saying Hoshi no Kirby/Kirby of the Stars?) or could it actually be like Kirby's Dream Land Returns?
This can only mean one thing...

MORE ADELIENE.

robor

Boney said:
I wonder if they'll move Kirby DS4, for 3DS now and stall it, so there's not a kirby overload.

I'm thinking this as well. We've heard next to nothing about that Kirby DS game and now I get the feeling we won't be for a good while due to this Kirby announcement.

You see? This is why Nintendo fucks me off.

Hero of Legend said:
They call the Kirby game part of the Kirby's Dream Land series.

Is it just a general name for the whole series to them (like the English way of saying Hoshi no Kirby/Kirby of the Stars?) or could it actually be like Kirby's Dream Land Returns?
"Hal Laboratory, Inc. is developing a new Wii game from the "Kirby’s Dreamland" franchise now."

This is exactly what Iwata said.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
3D Kirby looks incredibly bland compared to Epic Yarn. Pretty disappointing they decided to stick with that route. 2.5D is one thing but they could at least have stylized it a little bit.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:
So they are going to keep supporting the Wii? And the West might get the JRPGs at some point? And a new IP? And Kirby looks good?

Okay. Not bad.

If they bring out a Zelda collection without Link's Awakening or LttP in it, though, I will fucking blow up Japan. Hell, Zelda 2 better be in that bitch.

I don't know about LttP, but don't expect Link's Awakening. First, I wouldn't expect Nintendo to put a handheld game on a home console compilation. Second, the game is a launch release (along with Super Mario Land) for the 3DS Virtual Console. They're not gonna release two versions at the same time.

I hope they pull a Kirby with this one and keep a New Legend of Zelda somewhere in case Skyward Sword doesn't perform well enough.

Kaijima said:
It sure seems like we're seeing the second coming of side scrolling platformers thanks to NSMB tho.

It's a shame that it's only Nintendo platformers and remakes of slightly obscure titles by small developers though. I mean, yeah, great, we got A Boy and his Blob, but when I'm told "side-scrolling platformers revival" that's not what I'm expecting. Plus that's a puzzle platformer, and we get way too many of those these days. I'd like old school action platformers. I bring it up every time, but I really wish Capcom would get back on the scene with, say, New Mega Man —not talking about retro-revivals like MM9 and 10—, instead of Legends 3 which nobody outside of a few GAFfers cares about anyway. Or what about some great licensed platformers like Aladdin and Duck Tales back in the day? Man, I could use a licensed Ghibli (that's right, Ghibli) action platformer :eek:.

AniHawk

Kilrogg said:
It's a shame that it's only Nintendo platformers and remakes of slightly obscure titles by small developers though. I mean, yeah, great, we got A Boy and his Blob, but when I'm told "side-scrolling platformers revival" that's not what I'm expecting. Plus that's a puzzle platformer, and we get way too many of those these days. I'd like old school action platformers. I bring it up every time, but I really wish Capcom would get back on the scene with, say, New Mega Man —not talking about retro-revivals like MM9 and 10—, instead of Legends 3 which nobody outside of a few GAFfers cares about anyway. Or what about some great licensed platformers like Aladdin and Duck Tales back in the day? Man, I could use a licensed Ghibli (that's right, Ghibli) action platformer :eek:.

Sonic Colors was mostly a 2D game with 3D parts thrown in to take you to the next 2D part.

LBP and LBP2 are very obviously 2D platformers. Then there's a lot of handheld stuff.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
AniHawk said:
Sonic Colors was mostly a 2D game with 3D parts thrown in to take you to the next 2D part.

LBP and LBP2 are very obviously 2D platformers. Then there's a lot of handheld stuff.

From what I've seen, the 2D sections of Sonic Colours wouldn't appeal to me. Something about it feels sluggish/amateur. Glad you liked it though, looks like it's the most well-made 3D Sonic ever made. I wish they would do a proper sequel to Secret Rings though.

I didn't play LBP2, but I tried LBP: hate the controls, and it's not action-packed enough for my tastes. Kinda sad, the game is kinda cute!

I'd like those people who've made great platformers in the past try their hand once again (which is why I mentioned Capcom for instance). I don't want just nostalgia-fueled 8-bit style games or games with poor controls and things I never really cared for such as the level editor in LBP, or games that are made outrageously hard. I want some pure, unaduterated action-platforming packed full of actual platforming and/or enemies that actually pose a threat without it turning into a masochistic experience. Well, I guess I can tolerate a somewhat easy game —not Kirby-easy, right— if the rest is polished and well-made.

Elixist

New Kirby looks sexy! I have epic yarn and only played like 10 minutes of it for some reason, first impression was kinda shitty, I know theres coolness in there just gotta play some more.

trinest

More excited about Pandora's Tower. Kirby just seems like another platformer- and in my mind Yarn looks much more enjoyable.

Kilrogg said:

Mega Man Powered Up. Remade original levels, 2 extra levels, playable robot masters, 3 difficulty settings, 100 challenges, downloadable levels. Too bad it was left to rot in the PSP.

Top Bottom