• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Life, Death, Sacrifice: The Beautiful Tragedies of 'Nier: Automata'

Waypoint link.

Scant things bother me more than when a video game wastes my time. It's why, at first, I was bothered by the notion that I needed to finish Nier: Automata multiple times to fully appreciate it. Such tactics are usually deployed as a cheap trick to pad a game's length. Nier avoids this problem, for the most part, and it's best to think of the endings as chapters. Forty hours later, I've now seen Nier's final conclusion—ending E—and I'm still thinking about it. It was devastating.

Warning: There are massive spoilers for the end of Nier: Automata below.

Read to the end if you've finished the game.

bluexy

It's so fuckin' funny to me that this guy who hates anime so much fell in love with such an anime as fuck game.

Jiraiza

It's so fuckin' funny to me that this guy who hates anime so much fell in love with such an anime as fuck game.

Not sure what your standard for "anime as fuck" is, but I don't think Automata fits that. It's definitely anime, though. Now, Tales, on the other hand, is anime as fuck.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just here to say pls do the Nier:A spoiler cast when Austin, Danielle or whoever have finished it. I enjoyed the waypoint radio discussion from a week ago on the game so much.
Well off to reading now!

gngf123

Yeah, if you are interested in the game - don't read this beyond the quoted bit.

I'm happy Nier is getting so much attention. It really deserves it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Funny thing to me is so many of the things that make Automata great were all present and correct in the original 7 years ago.

Zafir

Funny thing to me is so many of the things that make Automata great were all present and correct in the original 7 years ago.

It was, but it was surrounded by a mediocre game experience.

When the game part of your video game is less than stellar, it's not hard to see why people won't play it.

Iksenpets

Banned
Just here to say pls do the Nier:A spoiler cast when Austin, Danielle or whoever have finished it. I enjoyed the waypoint radio discussion from a week ago on the game so much.
Well off to reading now!

Screw waiting, time for a cross-site Scoops and the Wolf reunion spoilercast.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Seems to speak more towards the fundamental systemic flaw in objectivity bias in our critical landscape than the content of the game itself.

bluexy

Not sure what your standard for "anime as fuck" is, but I don't think Automata fits that. It's definitely anime, though. Now, Tales, on the other hand, is anime as fuck.

It's like if Galaxy Express drove through anime history and crashed into a modern gothic fetish anime.

FinKL

Just reading the thread title alone I feel like I'm getting spoiled lol. I haven't played it yet, but definitely going to support them and get it down the line.

I'm glad this game is getting a lot of analysis. There are few games that actually deserve that but this is up there with Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Planescape Torment

iddqd

Already looking forward to Alex defending it like a madman at the Giant Bomb End of the Year awards.

And as someone with not enough time to play it this much, great write up, seems it deserves the attention its getting.

Ninjimbo

Nah. Nier is anime as fuck. I know people like to use "anime" as a pejorative around here but, personally, I don't. And Nier Automata touches on various beats that plenty of sci-if anime have touched upon.

Nier Automata just encapsulated those messages and those tropes into one memorable as fuck game. I don't know if it's GOTY caliber but I know I'll carry the memories of this game until the day I die.

NieR is plenty anime. The difference is that it's not the typical image of anime, the moe-moe kind.

It's closer in veins to stuff like Evangelion, Fafner, Kaiba, Noein, etc. There is a body of anime work that are targeted at older audiences, but it's simply less mainstream and thus aren't seen by outsiders as representative of the main body of anime.

Man, I'm loving all these articles and podcasts about N:A. As a game I fucking loved, connected with on a deep level and am examining with a fine-tooth comb afterwards it certainly stands apart with heavy-hitting writing greats in a league of it's own (starring Tom Hanks).

Ninjimbo

NieR is plenty anime. The difference is that it's not the typical image of anime, the moe-moe kind.

It's closer in veins to stuff like Evangelion, Fafner, Kaiba, Noein, etc. There is a body of anime work that are targeted at older audiences, but it's simply less mainstream and thus aren't seen by outsiders as representative of the main body of anime.
*nods head*

I couldn't have been the only one thinking of Ergo Proxy while playing Automata.

patapuf

Not much to add to that article.

I'm not as high on nier as others but when it hit, it hit really hard and well.

It helps that existentialism is one of my favourite branches of philosphy, so i was really into the themes of the game.

Christhor

Dunno who this guy is, but has he stated he hates Berserk, End of Evangelion and stuff like that? Because that's the kind of anime Nier Automata has the most in common with.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Seems like you're misunderstanding his jabs. Patrick also likes Dangan Ronpa and 999/VLR games I would consider even more anime.

Geg

I'll keep it in the back of my head to remember to read once I finish the game. I only just finished ending A last night.

Jiraiza

Well, I did say it's anime, so I'm not really refuting the notion that it's anime. I'm just saying it's not anime as fuck in context of the current anime client (and how it seems to used negatively around here) which consists of mostly moe, CGDCT, mahou shoujos, and whatever. Of course, you get great gems like Fafner, Majestic Prince, and so forth, but those are kind of a rarity these days.

Great article. Kinda weird that he conflates machines and androids, using "machines" to refer to both, since that makes it kind of a messy read whehter you're just starting the game or have completely finished it, but other than that shares a lot of my thoughts about the game.

Ruff

The annoying shit is when people say they aren't feeling the early game, telling them the best parts and why they should stick with it is like the biggest spoiler so you just gotta say "keep going" :/

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even if the themes aren't new to you because you played the first game, Automata builds on them in great ways.

It does, but the original Nier was, and is, still a fantastic game.

Yeah its rough around the edges, but in my opinion it was never less than enjoyable to play, and many of its boss encounters were really memorable.

Honestly, I think its actually a good bit better as an overall piece of work than its usually given credit for being.

Fisty

Yeah saying the game has multiple endings is doing more harm than good imo. People expect multiple endings to mean what stuff like Deus Ex Human Revolution or Mass Effect gives you as multiple endings (hit button A to watch ending cutscene A, hit button B to watch ending cutscene B).

Nier Automata ending A is basically the conclusion of the second act. If you stop playing there, you are missing probably half the story and 100% of the truth lol.

Koozek

He didn't even mention the saddest part:
If you reset Pascal's memories and visit him in his village in Route C, he's there selling machine cores and parts, which obviously are his friends and family's :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just got ending A (and G, heh) last night, so I'm really looking forward to what more this game has in store.

Cramoss

If you reset Pascal's memories and visit him in his village in Route C, he's there selling machine cores and parts, which obviously are his friends and family's :(

That part fucked me up

killatopak

Holy shit. I haven't returned there yet..... fuckkkkkk

True Fire

How many artists died in poverty? It takes ages for people to acknowledge true art.

NieR is like that cool indie band that everyone suddenly loves even though they've been around for 7 years

Demoskinos

Yeah when I saw he was selling the cores of the children I was like oh god.

True Fire

And you can resell Pascal's dead friends to make a huge profit. Yoko Taro likes to taunt the player with dilemmas like this; taking aspects of games that usually have no emotions attached ("I'm going to exploit this NPC to make money!") and turning them into existential crises.

Top Bottom