• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I was thinking about getting some Sennheiser 595s, until I found out they were "open" and leaked sound a lot. Is there a similar pair both in price(Under $150) and sound quality that is "closed" and has no sound leakage?

1stStrike

Banned
Alucrid said:
I dunno. Don't they get hot with the lamp shining on them?

I totally read that as "Don't they get hot with the lamp shitting on them?"

I was like "What the fuu- oh." :lol

Also, for those interested in the Denon D2000's without an amp - they work fine and still sound really good. They don't get any less comfortable without an amp either :D

But, you will definitely notice an improvement with an amp no doubt about it.

LCfiner

DTLIONS1013 said:
I was thinking about getting some Sennheiser 595s, until I found out they were "open" and leaked sound a lot. Is there a similar pair both in price(Under $150) and sound quality that is "closed" and has no sound leakage?

There are a couple headphones in this price range that aren't listed in the OP. If you're looking for a full sized pair like the 595s that go around the ear, but closed, you have a couple well known options in addition to the many choices listed in the OP:

Beyerdynamic DT770. be careful as there's multiple models of this headphone with different impedances. known for massive bass.

Audio Technica A700. the closed version of the popular AD700.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
HiResDes said:
Yeah you're gonna need at least a small amp for that pair...But something like an E7 or the portable Nuforce will do just fine.
Okay, thanks. I may just say "fuck it" and get some Sennheisers, since those seem to be the consensus choice.

MrBig

Alucrid said:
I dunno. Don't they get hot with the lamp shining on them?
There would never be a time that the lamp would be on with them there, but that's a good point. The light was just on for the picture.

Tabris

Can anyone recommend the best neckband headphones out there? I can't do over the top as I have spikey/messy hair and can't do inner ear as maybe I have a weird ear but they hurt as hell.

Currently I use these, bluetooth synced but they are kind of flimsy (which is weird for a sennheiser product) and don't block out external noise that well.

Sennheiser_MM_100_stereo_Bluetooth_headsetx550.jpg

LCfiner

DTLIONS1013 said:
Anyone have the Audio Technica M50?

Edit: Now looking at the A700, which of these two pairs is better?

define better :)

I have not tried either pair but here's a couple things to note: A700 are full sized. they're big. I have the AD700 (open) and they're huuuuge. very comfortable and light but enormous.

M50 are portable and sit on top of the ear and may not be as comfy but can travel with you.

M50 are supposed to have better bass, based on some reviews online. A700 are apparently more accurate but you'd probably need to listen to both to figure out which is better for you.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
soultron said:
Any love for the Sony MDR-V150s? Been using them for years now and they're only $20-30.

Is there a better alternative in that price range for cans?
The new Sony Triqii. Better drivers (30mm version of what they put in V6) with less size/weight but a lot tougher. Best value in budget compacts.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Alucrid said:
Do it. They are by the far most sexy headphones look wise. I'd grab them if I didn't have the 555s and if I wasn't getting the 350s in a month.
They're in my Best Buy wishlist now. :D

Ashhong

MrBig said:
Nope, those are just some headphones that my dad got for christmas that I'm borrowing until the M50s get here since my old Sony's broke.

oh, the picture is kinda far out but they looked like M50s. woops

A while ago I received a pair of AKG K240 headphones from my grandpa, I don't know exactly how old they are but I know it's not the 55 ohm version and they don't have the detachable cable. They have been opened and repaired a few times and the cables in them break quite often, that's part of why I got them. However, I love the sound of them. But the constant resoldering of the cable is a bit of a pain in the ass, so I've been looking into buying another, newer pair. My only question is: Is there any difference in sound quality, and if so, is it for better or for worse?

ryan-ts

Dipindots said:
so up until this xmas I was always rocking the lame ass ipod earphone things which suck. My dad gave me his pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones and I'm in love :D

I'm surprised at how good the sound is, considering its cheap $83 price tag. They're also really comfortable.

I don't think that I can ever go back to those ipod earphones ever again, ugh. As a bonus he gave me some sony earphones which are easily better than the ipod ones.

I was going back and forth on buying a pair of these headphones but once again GAF has convinced me. I'm not too knowledgeable on headphones but I've heard some good things about the 7506 and it's right in my price range. Ordered.

T-Matt

Shout out to hiresdes, I wouldn't have known about the m6's if it was not for you. They are quite incredible for the 19$ I paid for them.
sgmv6b.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LCfiner said:
I saw this extensive set of reviews linked from head-fi and I think it would be good for this thread since a lot of these mid range cans are getting talked about.

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
Nice reviews.

What he said about the M50 struggling with bass control and Electronic music confirms that it's not the set for me.

I'd choose the HD25 based on these impressions, but I wish they'd update the comparison with the TMA-1.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ashhong said:
There is actually also these at Lowes

rby4j6.jpg

Some people prefer this one because there are 2 contact points, and they are more rounded. I got both but dont have my new headphones yet so I havent tested to see which one I prefer.

What is that? Is that the same thing as this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_116345-7618...1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=hose+holder&page=3 Because the picture looks like there is some kind of padding around it. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find that hose holder :/ Lowes has this hook thing listed, but you can't order it online. Blah..

Ashhong

Extollere said:
What is that? Is that the same thing as this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_116345-7618...1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=hose+holder&page=3 Because the picture looks like there is some kind of padding around it. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find that hose holder :/ Lowes has this hook thing listed, but you can't order it online. Blah..

Yea its the same item but when you buy it it has padding on the arms.

It's really hard to find them in store. For the Home Depot one, get the item number and take it to someone who has a handheld scanner thing. If thats not possible, look for their Rubbermaid section. For me it was in Aisle 1, which was like miscellaneous gift items and big plastic tupperware style bins.

The Lowes one, ask where their Closetmaid items are. It was in their cabinet/closet aisles with various hook accessories. None of these were in the Garden section like that other forum said it would be though.

Wallach

Dice said:
Monster isn't legit.

Turbines are quite legit, actually. I'd go so far as to say I think they've probably been the best set of IEMs in their price range for quite some time.

Alucrid

Banned
Wallach said:
Turbines are quite legit, actually. I'd go so far as to say I think they've probably been the best set of IEMs in their price range for quite some time.

Good, yes. Best? Subjective, but still, probably not.

Wallach

Alucrid said:
Good, yes. Best? Subjective, but still, probably not.

Personally I don't really feel like there are even a lot of competitive IEMs ~100 bucks. The only ones I like in that price range on that level are IE6s and they tend to be a little more expensive and even then aren't really better IEMs, though I think they definitely have a wider soundstage (but don't isolate as well).

When they were on sale at like $40 this holiday it was one of the best IEM deals of the year.

Alucrid

Banned
Wallach said:
Personally I don't really feel like there are even a lot of competitive IEMs ~100 bucks. The only ones I like in that price range on that level are IE6s and they tend to be a little more expensive and even then aren't really better IEMs, though I think they definitely have a wider soundstage (but don't isolate as well).

When they were on sale at like $40 this holiday it was one of the best IEM deals of the year.

I'm a fan of the Audéo Phonak PFE 122s.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Ashhong said:
It's really hard to find them in store. For the Home Depot one, get the item number and take it to someone who has a handheld scanner thing. If thats not possible, look for their Rubbermaid section. For me it was in Aisle 1, which was like miscellaneous gift items and big plastic tupperware style bins.

I just picked up the Rubbermaid one at Home Depot last week - it was in the storage/organization isle at the far end on a hanging end cap - facing inwards on the aisle. First aisle at my store too and I must've walked past it four times before I saw it. $10 here in PA.

My friend has the AKG-701s. They sound so good.

I will continue to remain broke with my $15 IEMs for now, but one day I will own those. Or something similar that has surfaced by then.

1stStrike

Banned
poweld said:
Based on this photo, I know how you can improve your music listening experience greatly.

Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about. He built my amp (which is working perfectly btw) :D

Pilgor

I have the AKG K702's and I love them, but I have been thinking of picking up Senn HD 650's.

Is this a step up or to the side, and is it worth spending the extra dough for another set?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wallach said:

You're selling the ~$100 price bracket a bit short, imo.

Just off the top of my head, we have:

Monster Turbine
Brainwavez M2
Head--Direct RE0
HiFiMan RE-ZERO
Klipsch Image S4
Hippo VB

All of which can make a strong case for themselves as performing above the price range, depending what sound signature you appreciate. I probably missed a few too.

The $100-$150 range is stacked.

LOZLINK said:
I'm looking at that packaging, and the package at 2:20 of this Youtube unboxing, and I'm very suspicious, more so because it's eBay.

I don't trust it, at all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there any point in buying anything better than Audio Technica ATH M50? They go for just $100 and were getting some stupid good reviews easily beating much more expensive headphones too.

There's good comparison of many closed models here, and M50 won:
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-can...s-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is now even cheaper than $100 on Amazon, and used to be $250. Are they even better? They are open design while M50 is closed.

Alucrid

Banned
Lord Error said:
Is there any point in buying anything better than Audio Technica ATH M50? They go for just $100 and were getting some stupid good reviews easily beating much more expensive headphones too.

There's good comparison of many closed models here, and M50 won:
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-can...s-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is now even cheaper than $100 on Amazon, and used to be $250. Are they even better? They are open design while M50 is closed.

Well, I'd take the Sennheiser HE60 any day over the M50s.

Wallach

Any of you guys tried foam supertips? I wear comply tips backwards because I find putting them on normally eats up my highs too much - I actually really like the SQ wearing them this way, but I'm curious if those foam supertips would create a similar effect with the silicon running the whole way up through the center.

Alucrid said:
Well, I'd take the Sennheiser HE60 any day over the M50s.
:lol

Yeah, the ladder definitely goes a lot higher than the M50s.

Top Bottom