• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Glowsquid

My friend's son plays Mega Man 3 on the tablet, and says it's better than the NES version. That was upsetting.

our family rented mega man anniversary collection when I was 10-years old and me and my sister thought mega man 8 was by far the best game because it had the best grafx.

---

Anyone else a weirdo who likes playing console ports of old PC-centric games? I'm cosnidering getting the Saturn vesion of Command & Conquer for the novelty of it.

IrishNinja

Anyone else a weirdo who likes playing console ports of old PC-centric games? I'm cosnidering getting the Saturn vesion of Command & Conquer for the novelty of it.

you are not! i picked up Warcraft II last year, would happily buy Diablo on PSX or C&C if i saw em cheap enough, they're great games (even if playing solo can feel weird on some)

Laws00

I had Valis 3 as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. I had no idea what anime was at the time but I loved the cutscenes, art style and that I was playing as female characters. My copy disappeared with all of my other non-Shining games of that era and for years I could never remember what it was called. Actually, it probably went a long way to rekindling my love for retro games as I spent a lot of time on youtube watching random youtube videos of Sega Genesis titles trying to remember what it was called.

I've been looking for this particular title for quite a while. Partially because I really like Valis but also because the box is impressive and it's a bit of a holy grail for X68000 titles. It doesn't work very well from a disk image because it requires so much RAM (i.e. 8MB) because it has 45 minutes of cut scenes.

I've actually been looking for a copy for almost 2 years and this is the second or third time I've seen it for sale on eBay or Yahoo actions. I've also never seen it on any of my trips to Japan.

I was about to say that game is that hard of a game to find for the X68000? I take it you wanted it complete in the box and everything?

I know next to nothing about the X68000. Reminds me I need to look up stuff about the MSX

Peltz

our family rented mega man anniversary collection when I was 10-years old and me and my sister thought mega man 8 was by far the best game because it had the best grafx.

---

I'm a wierdo too. I want the N64 version of Starcraft someday.

And also, I like sim city on SNES.

I was about to say that game is that hard of a game to find for the X68000? I take it you wanted it complete in the box and everything?

I know next to nothing about the X68000. Reminds me I need to look up stuff about the MSX

With games that come on 5-1/4 inch floppies, I wouldn't bother looking for anything other than CIB. It's possible that it's been up on Yahoo Auctions a few times -- I'm not super diligent on that front -- but whenever I have looked it has either not been there or out of the price I was willing to pay at the time.

X68000 is a great system though. I love collecting for it but this is a perfect example of it being a few times a year system. Pretty much everything on it is like a Saturn game you've heard of before.

dubc35

I'm a wierdo too. I want the N64 version of Starcraft someday.

And also, I like sim city on SNES.
I always wanted a Starcraft release on DS.

I spent a ton of time playing SNES Sim City back in the day. However, I prefer 2000 on mac lol only because that's what I had then.

holy shoot! Zanac Neo is hard!!!!! i'm Final Stage and i'm dying so many times...

awesome game.
I'm fairly sure that if you're playing well you should end up with so many lives at the end that you actually should be intentionally suiciding for the box spawns (and points). Think my first clear i had 8 lives going in to the final level after losing a few on the second to last.

I'm fairly sure that if you're playing well you should end up with so many lives at the end that you actually should be intentionally suiciding for the box spawns (and points). Think my first clear i had 8 lives going in to the final level after losing a few on the second to last.

i died and continued so many times. i think i relied so much on power "2" shield, that i got bad at dodging bullets.

i died and continued so many times. i think i relied so much on power "2" shield, that i got bad at dodging bullets.
it's been too long since i've played to remember all the weapons, but the weapons that shoot a projectile that eats bullets are generally pretty OP. The shields and rotating ones are really hard to use in the later stages with lots of bullets, i found.

Metal Gear GAF I need some help. I've recently gotten the urge to play the first 2 Metal Gear MSX games but I'm wondering the best way to do it. I don't have an MSX and I don't plan on getting one so my options are MGS3 on ps2, The HD collection on ps3, The HD collection on vita or running them in an emulator.

I guess my big question is are the Metal Gear games on PS2 in 240p or 480i? My PS2 is packed away right now so I can't check it. If they are that would be my preferable way to play them.

Metal Gear GAF I need some help. I've recently gotten the urge to play the first 2 Metal Gear MSX games but I'm wondering the best way to do it. I don't have an MSX and I don't plan on getting one so my options are MGS3 on ps2, The HD collection on ps3, The HD collection on vita or running them in an emulator.

I guess my big question is are the Metal Gear games on PS2 in 240p or 480i? My PS2 is packed away right now so I can't check it. If they are that would be my preferable way to play them.
Actually i've been wondering about MSX lately, too. For Compile shmups, mostly. I would also appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Actually i've been wondering about MSX lately, too. For Compile shmups, mostly. I would also appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I've been looking at msx2s on eBay... They aren't that bad price wise and they do rgb but the legit games are way too expensive these days. That would lead me down the rabbit hole of figuring out flash carts or something... Just to play a few games

I've been looking at msx2s on eBay... They aren't that bad price wise and they do rgb but the legit games are way too expensive these days. That would lead me down the rabbit hole of figuring out flash carts or something... Just to play a few games
Yeah, i'm not doing a real console for the same reason. Just seems unnecessarily expensive and involved for a handful of games i'm not even sure i'll like.

I've been watching the few MSX reviews that Mark produced for Classic Game Room, and it's a pretty cool machine.

What's the relative jump in power from a game standpoint between a MSX and MSX2? We talkin' Atari 2600 to NES here?

I've been watching the few MSX reviews that Mark produced for Classic Game Room, and it's a pretty cool machine.

What's the relative jump in power from a game standpoint between a MSX and MSX2? We talkin' Atari 2600 to NES here?

More or less actually. Msx2 supports scrolling which is a massive upgrade right there. Now I've read there isn't much point in getting an msx2+ because very few games utilized the extra power and they are literally 3x more expensive then an msx2

More or less actually. Msx2 supports scrolling which is a massive upgrade right there. Now I've read there isn't much point in getting an msx2+ because very few games utilized the extra power and they are literally 3x more expensive then an msx2

That's some SuperGrafx right there.

I know the Metal Gear games on the MSX are the definitive ones, what about other Konami games?

BTails

I'd check for you, but unfortunately I'm away on Vacation for another week and a half. I'd assume they're 480i, but maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised with 240p.

It's not out of the ordinary: I've been playing Konami's Shadow of Destiny recently, and it's 240p (though 480i menus, grrrrr). The Megaman X Collection is 240p, and it's amazing. No slowdown on the SNES ports!

I'd check for you, but unfortunately I'm away on Vacation for another week and a half. I'd assume they're 480i, but maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised with 240p.

It's not out of the ordinary: I've been playing Konami's Shadow of Destiny recently, and it's 240p (though 480i menus, grrrrr). The Megaman X Collection is 240p, and it's amazing. No slowdown on the SNES ports!

Thanks! It's the thought that counts. The SEGA AGES collections are the best I've ever seen. The phantasy star collection let's you switch between 240p and 480p and even has an option for scanlines on 480p!

Been playing Dragon Quest 11 in the 2D mode on 3DS.

I cannot express how good this game looks, especially on the 3DS screen with the almost-scanlines. It's like a long-lost SNES JRPG.

I tried to take a photo but I just can't do it justice, it's really pretty.

Timu

Thanks! It's the thought that counts. The SEGA AGES collections are the best I've ever seen. The phantasy star collection let's you switch between 240p and 480p and even has an option for scanlines on 480p!
Scanlines on 480p for an option?=O 1st I heard of that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

They're 480i, at least the US version is.

BTails

Saves me from looking it up, haha. I've played them three times: once as fan translated versions on an MSX2 emulator, then again when they were released on Subsistance, then again on the PS3 HD collection. I don't seem to recall any version looking particularly bad, though at the time I was just happy for correct aspect ratio, not resolution.

Saves me from looking it up, haha. I've played them three times: once as fan translated versions on an MSX2 emulator, then again when they were released on Subsistance, then again on the PS3 HD collection. I don't seem to recall any version looking particularly bad, though at the time I was just happy for correct aspect ratio, not resolution.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up grabbing metal gear for nes over the weekend so I think I'll play that version first then onto the msx games!

Peltz

My PVM is getting very finicky on the BNC port that accepts the red video input (red as in Red/Green/Blue for either RGB or Component).

Unless it's inserted and the exact right angle, the PVM won't recognize the signal. Otherwise my set is in amazing condition. And once the signal is recognized, it stays solid unless the wire is disturbed.

Is there any way to make the BNC port more "solid" for accepting an input so I don't need to keep fiddling with it?

Edit:

I actually found this video, which I will try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8Kqr4MJfc

But if anyone else has experience with this I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Kawika

Oh you're Logan incarnate man, that title is all yours lol.

In Canada we work with 600volts AC which is generally high enough to push you off. In the states they use 460volts AC which is more then enough to kill you but low enough to stick you to it!

I know from experience DC hurts alot more then AC!

Back on topic:

I went through the "how do I play ds games the best" dilemma a few months ago and I settled on a dsi. Better buttons and screens then the ds lite. Some guys like the dsi xl but it's too big for me.

I was actually thinking about picking up one of those 2DS "doorstops" for DS gaming. I am having trouble finding a DSi that isn't ridiculously priced or has scratches to no end. Did you try that (2DS) before you settled on the DSi? I still can get screen protectors for the 2DS and I am not sure if I can find glass screen protectors (or any) for such an old console.

I was messing with my DS light and I notice a lot of ghosting on screen. Does the DSi do that? Now I have to go back and look at my AGS 101 to see if it ghosts too. That is one of my biggest issues with old LCDs.

I am so surprised there isn't a better lcd industry that pops up around these old consoles.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was actually thinking about picking up one of those 2DS "doorstops" for DS gaming. I am having trouble finding a DSi that isn't ridiculously priced or has scratches to no end. Did you try that (2DS) before you settled on the DSi? I still can get screen protectors for the 2DS and I am not sure if I can find glass screen protectors (or any) for such an old console.

I was messing with my DS light and I notice a lot of ghosting on screen. Does the DSi do that? Now I have to go back and look at my AGS 101 to see if it ghosts too. That is one of my biggest issues with old LCDs.

I am so surprised there isn't a better lcd industry that pops up around these old consoles.

Can't speak to the DSi, necessarily, but the DSi XL hasn't exhibited a ghosting problem, as I recall.

I never noticed any ghosting on the Dsi. I have not tried a 2ds but since it's a 3ds screen I imagined it would have the same issue (having to run it in a tiny window)

Kawika

Can't speak to the DSi, necessarily, but the DSi XL hasn't exhibited a ghosting problem, as I recall.

I have a N3DS XL and it looks okay. I am not happy with the way the colors are on the N3DS screen (even though mine is ips). When my DS Lite isn't in motion, the screen looks so much better. The DSi XL is something I've long wanted but I didn't like how blurry DS games looked in XL mode so I figured the DSi would exhibit the same issue.

This is why I am trying to find a New 3DS non-xl and with dual IPS screens. This is the dream but I doubt I am going to find it. I bet I could find a cheap pvm easier than getting a dual ips for a reasonable price.

I never noticed any ghosting on the Dsi. I have not tried a 2ds but since it's a 3ds screen I imagined it would have the same issue (having to run it in a tiny window)

I figured its likely not using the same screen tech as the 3DS since one of the screens is not in 3D. The smaller pixels might actually make things look better than my N3DSXL. Also my 2 year old might start wanting to play games soon and I would rather her trash a 2DS than any of my older consoles.

BTails

Mine is Dual IPS. It's the Pokemon Red/Blue New 3ds (non XL, came with Charizard and Blastoise faceplates and Pokemon Red/Blue Virtual Console preinstalled)

So they do exist.

I've been playing Raiden DX on PlayStation the last day or so, and good gravy, the PlayStation d-pad is hot alien piss. I didn't have many (if any) STGs for the PS as a kid, and thankfully so, cause now my thumb is all red and sore.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good Saturn pad adapter for PlayStation?

I've been playing Raiden DX on PlayStation the last day or so, and good gravy, the PlayStation d-pad is hot alien piss. I didn't have many (if any) STGs for the PS as a kid, and thankfully so, cause now my thumb is all red and sore.

i've been playing raiden project on psx and got used to the pad, (using ps2 pad) it was a little stiff at first but broken in now.

8BsSrR8l.jpg

So I gotta throw away my PSOne, my Final Fantasy 7, AND buy Punisher for Genesis before I can get my Saturn pad working on PlayStation?!

Life is cruel.

If I was gonna own Punisher, I would definitely get my hands on the arcade PCB! I guess PCBs are the logical next step, anyways, since I've already dipped my toes in with the Omega cMVS.

So from Saturn-to-PSOne controller adapter to supergun recommendations.

Suggestions?

Top Bottom