• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon just lost their naming rights deal one year early for D.C. arena.

KSweeley

An estimated $100 million naming rights deal for 10 years effective immediately with Capital One has taken effect, renaming the Verizon Center in D.C. to the Capital One Arena: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ne-arena-starting-now/?utm_term=.d0daf8ae12cd

caponearena817a-1.jpg

Verizon Center to become Capital One Arena, starting now
August 9, 2017

Washington's downtown sports arena is changing names, effective immediately. Monumental Sports and Entertainment will make the switch official on Wednesday, announcing that Verizon Center will now be known as Capital One Arena. The signage and branding makeover will happen this fall, but there's already a new logo and a third name for the Chinatown venue, which opened as the MCI Center in the winter of 1997.

The previous 20-year naming rights arrangement was negotiated by former Wizards and Capitals owner Abe Pollin, and current owner Ted Leonsis has said repeatedly that he was seeking a more team-friendly deal. The Verizon deal was set to expire in 2018, but Capital One's involvement accelerated the schedule.

Financial details were not released, but the deal is worth $100 million over 10 years, according to a source familiar with the arrangement, who confirmed an earlier Bloomberg report. That's believed to be a significant jump over what Monumental received per year from the previous deal.

Capital One's press release announcing Capital One Arena: http://press.capitalone.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251626&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2292991

YouTube announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugm-wwLK3-Q&feature=youtu.be

It's going to be an adjustment to not call it the Verizon Center.

Also the Capital One Arena does not roll off the tongue as nicely as the Verizon Center.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You could almost forget it's a sponsor name. Sounds more like an important address in DC: Capitol One Arena. Better than Verizon Center or FedEx Field.

Yea, as a DC resident, it'll be pretty weird. "Verizon Center" was just easy to say, and sounded good. I JUST went there to see the Roger Waters concert the other day.

But then again, it's whatever you get used to. I'm still anachronistic as hell: to me, the concert venue is still "Nissan Pavilion" and the Nationals still play at "RFK".

It's going to be an adjustment to not call it the Verizon Center.

Also the Capital One Arena does not roll off the tongue as nicely as the Verizon Center.

Just call it the COA as in Co-ah

As in we're heading down to the COA to see a real champion in action... because the Pens are in town

kirblar

They definitely wanted to lock in that name because it's actually a good name for the Arena, given that it's DC and the Capitols.

MrNelson

Banned
What did people actually call it? I can't imagine people saying that out loud who aren't lawyers named Gary.
The Amp

It's been the Ford Amphitheatre, the 1-800-Ask-Gary Amphitheatre, and now the Mid-Florida Credit Union Amphitheatre, but pretty much everyone calls it The Amp.

Rahvar

The biggest football (soccer) stadium in Sweden had it's naming rights bought by a bank. But because the bank was under some criticism around then, they decided to give their right to an anti-bullying organization. Thus I went and saw Guns N Roses at Friends Arena. Could be a lot worse, though it took time to get used to.

Newcastle United's arena was for a season changed from St James' Park to sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium -_-

Top Bottom