• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

I am excited to play this with my friends tomorrow after work. I have to ask if anyone can recall a game that got more FUD than this one has? It seemed like every thread about it was full of people who never bothered to look in to the game, tirelessly insisting that the DLC would split the player base.

Klyka

Banned
So the game just unlocked and I played the Monster and Markov tutorials. But now there are no more tutorials. Is that how it's supposed to be? I expected at least a tutorial for every class.

well the tutorial videos play for each class when you play them the first time and you can switch to other bots in the tutorial/solo matches.

Played my first three games now :D

1 as monster and 2 as hunters.
I lost badly as the monster, i swear I have no idea how to properly damage the hunters :(
As hunters I lost once and won once so that's all fine

Game is still as fun as I remember it and great to just jump in and play a round or two

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just going to echo the appreciation of the lovely OT. Add me on Steam if you'd like. I'd be happy to play with GAF sometime.

I'm so glad it's almost here. That delay in October was brutal.

49 hours of the beta...you actually played it more than I did, hahaha.

Played my first three games now :D

1 as monster and 2 as hunters.
I lost badly as the monster, i swear I have no idea how to properly damage the hunters :(
As hunters I lost once and won once so that's all fine

Game is still as fun as I remember it and great to just jump in and play a round or two

There's definitely a learning curve for the monster but I love playing as it. Especially when you run into a good team and have close matches.

What do you guys think of the 2nd and 3rd Trappers after Maggie? During the Beta it seemed that the Trappers other than Maggie weren't very well suited for tracking the monster. The lack of a Daisy companion seemed to make it really difficult to find the monster before it evolved to stages 2 and 3. Hopefully they made some tweaks to this because if not those two characters will quickly become useless.

What do you guys think of the 2nd and 3rd Trappers after Maggie? During the Beta it seemed that the Trappers other than Maggie weren't very well suited for tracking the monster. The lack of a Daisy companion seemed to make it really difficult to find the monster before it evolved to stages 2 and 3. Hopefully they made some tweaks to this because if not those two characters will quickly become useless.
Daisy is for new trappers who have difficulty tracking the monster.
Griffin and Abe are dependent on you actually having some tracking skills, otherwise you'll be relying on mostly luck (hope monster eats tracked creatures, or hope monster walks through sound spikes).
A quick and easy way to get better at tracking: play with headphones. There are a lot of audio cues to help you find the monster.

Skyzard

Banned
Game wouldn't launch on PC for me, had to reverify, it's downloading now, very quick (160ish mb) - and working.

Still has that bug on fullscreen windowed mode from the beta for me.

Daisy is for new trappers who have difficulty tracking the monster.
Griffin and Abe are dependent on you actually having some tracking skills, otherwise you'll be relying on mostly luck (hope monster eats tracked creatures, or hope monster walks through sound spikes).
A quick and easy way to get better at tracking: play with headphones. There are a lot of audio cues to help you find the monster.

Doesn't that seem a little too difficult? Say for example the Trapper on your team is using one of those characters and they aren't amazing at it. That would really put the team in a bad position from the start. Especially considering the beginning is the most crucial for the Hunters as you want to cause as much damage as you can before the Monster evolves.

Plus, if the monster is really good it will make it that much harder.

Doesn't that seem a little too difficult? Say for example the Trapper on your team is using one of those characters and they aren't amazing at it. That would really put the team in a bad position from the start. Especially considering the beginning is the most crucial for the Hunters as you want to cause as much damage as you can before the Monster evolves.

Plus, if the monster is really good it will make it that much harder.
Well ideally, the whole team is contributing to tracking the monster. So in those cases I would hope the teammates pick up the slack and keep the trapper close for the Dome.
Hopefully they learn and get better with time.
But yeah it's going to be rough with new teammates. That's why I'm going to be focusing on Monster for now. :p

Killer

Banned
ahh my copy arrives tomorrow. Add me on XB1 if you wanna play together: AB X Killer

Send me a message so i know you are not one of those spammers.

deoee

Damn I had fun with my pals just now.

I'll be so wasted tomorrow.

Trapper is so much fun against those "newbish" monsters right now, I actually fucked them totally up with my harpoons :D

49 hours of the beta...you actually played it more than I did, hahaha.

Yup, plus 34 hours of the alpha as well. I've gotten my money's worth already and it's not even playable here yet!

If you think my play time is a lot, some people had ridiculous amounts of play time on the Turtle Rock forums. They must have had to forgo sleep for the entire weekend or something.

This game was completely off my radar, but it's looking damn tempting. Destiny has been a bit much for me, and this seems like a similar vibe but less of a commitment in terms of hours.

Other than 900p vs 1080p, what is the consensus on the Xbox One version versus the PS4 version?

Killer

Banned
Other than 900p vs 1080p, what is the consensus on the Xbox One version versus the PS4 version?

You get DLC earlier on XB1.

So i ordered this from Best buy but i really want to play tonight. So can i return my physical copy to best buy and get my money back?

Anion

I preordered this months ago when I thought it would be released in 2014 or something. I was pretty excited back then, but lately I have gotten super busy. I have not played the beta or anything, so Im hoping for the best.
Review scores look good though!

There isn't much hype in this thread, it seems. That's a bummer, but these >4 hours I have to wait are going to be that much more brutal!

patchday

Just wanted to say very nice OT! Looking forward to reading more impressions. Debating on buying the ps4 version tonight. Lots of games coming out (The Order & Bloodborne) but I'd like to support these devs

derExperte

Playing as the monster is hard. And when I thought I was getting somewhere the game was over because 'infestation cured' or something. Maybe I should try the tutorials first.

Picking it up first thing in the morning after getting home at 5am to sleep for a few. Very much looking foreward to this.

McWorked_You on PSN. I'm around before 4:30pm EST every day and weekends.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just bought it, but I'm worried I won't know what I'm doing as the monster and I'll embarrass myself. Is there decent tutorials??

Yes, the game opens up with a monster tutorial, also tutorials you can play as for the different classes. There's also single player matches you can play with bots, who the reviews say are pretty well done.

Top Bottom