• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ron Gilbert leaves Double Fine, announces iOS game

nbthedude

Personally I think Gilbert isn't that a reflective individual who puts a lot of thought into the issues he is faced with. He tweeted this during this year's DICE:

grumpygamerlhuii.png

Which I think is a pretty ignorant reaction.

So he's a misanthrope.

That makes him a kindred spirit. It makes me wish I liked his games better.

Maybe he should channel that into a game that is satire on human stupidity in general.

I would play that game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Personally I think Gilbert isn't that a reflective individual who puts a lot of thought into the issues he is faced with. He tweeted this during this year's DICE:

grumpygamerlhuii.png

Which I think is a pretty ignorant reaction.

I think he is still salty that the best Monkey Island game was made without him and that he hasn't made a good game since, other than The Cave which was not without some serious design issues.

I've always liked Schaffer's style much more than Gilbert's, so I'm OK with this. The Cave, even being quite good (from what I played of the demo), still had serious control/multiplayer issues, and it was probably not as good as the rest of Double Fine's production. Which may have to do more with the latter's consistently awesome quality, though.

grumble

I own the Cave. It's a funny game with a pretty good plot and terrible trudging back and forth to solve puzzles. It's partly due to the three character aspect of it where you have to sometimes move three characters from the start of the area to the same place, and sometimes it's because you need to hike back and forth to complete a task with one character. I have to admit, it can be a bit tedious; the story is good enough to keep me playing though.

Lime

So he's a misanthrope.

That makes him a kindred spirit. It makes me wish I liked his games better.

Maybe he should channel that into a game that is satire on human stupidity in general.

I would play that game.

No, it's not about misanthropy. It was a reply to some of the keynotes at DICE. The point is that "shut up and make games" is a pretty reductionistic and incorrect reply to something you don't agree with. It's dismissive and doesn't solve the discussed issue.

Midou

Ron didn't really strike me as an artist. He's a programmer, through and through. I think he honestly enjoys making iOS games, if for no other reason than he gets to program them himself. If that's what he enjoys doing, then more power to him, I say. I think a lot people would be disappointed if he just became a writer, not the least of which would be Ron himself.

I don't see why he can't just program for Reds/DFA then.. regardless of how he does it, I would like to see if he's still capable of making a P&C adventure game to his day, even as a solo project. He is certainly creative on top of being a programmer, considering his old adventure game projects.

Violet_0

Banned
Finished The Cave three times. I liked it.
Stacking is absolutely the worst thing I've played from Double Fine. Terribly tedious game.
Costume Quest gets repetitive rather quick, but I thought it was one of their better titles. Very charming.
Brutal Legends was a mess but entertaining enough for me to complete.
I own but haven't played Psychonauts and Iron Brigade yet.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Ron Gilbert. That title. I have no idea if he's telling the truth.

I've got to say that I had the pleasure of interviewing him in 2008 for FinalBoss - and back then, he mentioned that he thought of a mix of match-3 and RPGs with Clayton Kauzlaric, but scrapped the idea since they weren't sure of how the gamers would react.

And then, Puzzle Quest came out. :p

bluemax

Banned
I don't see why he can't just program for Reds/DFA then.. regardless of how he does it, I would like to see if he's still capable of making a P&C adventure game to his day, even as a solo project. He is certainly creative on top of being a programmer, considering his old adventure game projects.

Probably because like many programmers I've worked with who left the industry and tried to come back his skills just aren't there. It's better for Double Fine to not pay a guy senior level money when he has a sub junior level understanding of modern game programming.

Top Bottom