• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Removed Denuvo From The Evil Within 2 Before The Release

..and the sales is not looking so good so far. Only 34k copies according to Steamspy.

It's still too early, yes, but the early number is not that convincing and the bump from each day is only like 10k.

Even if we take the 3-day delay into consideration, it's gonna be around 50k copies as of now. Pretty weak for AAA.

Ploid 3.0

..and the sales is not looking so good so far. Only 34k copies according to Steamspy.

It's still too early, yes, but the early number is not that convincing and the bump from each day is only like 10k.

Even if we take the 3-day delay into consideration, it's gonna be around 50k copies as of now. Pretty weak for AAA.

How many PC people liked Evil Within 1? Is it that popular?

Just looking at videos I nothing grabbed me to get or be interested in EW1, I couldn't even finish a EW2 sponsored first few chapters video.

Just looking at videos I nothing grabbed me to get or be interested in EW1, I couldn't even finish a EW2 sponsored first few chapters video.

It has generated 700k copies sold so far. I don't think it's been in a bundle, but it's been heavily discounted.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SteamSpy is not reliable until around 3 days after release, as it says on the site itself. Numbers can go drastically up or down after that point as the site takes a few days to calculate all of the data. At the moment it's only a little more than 48 hours since it fully released.

This said, I am worried about this game underperforming and definitely could see it happening. Though also horror games often have longer tails than most other genres through word of mouth and spread.

I'm fully aware of that, and as I said early numbers can possibly foresee its pace for the next few days.

It gained only 10k from the 2nd and 3rd day. Tomorrow's jump will make things more clear.

MUnited83

For you.
SteamSpy is not reliable until around 3 days after release, as it says on the site itself. Numbers can go drastically up or down after that point as the site takes a few days to calculate all of the data. At the moment it's only a little more than 48 hours since it fully released.

This said, I am worried about this game underperforming and definitely could see it happening. Though also horror games often have longer tails than most other genres through word of mouth and spread.

I think it probably underperformed everywhere. It released with little fanfare and I know some people that are surprised to know the game has released without them being aware before.

I was going to post the same , but decided to wait until about 4-5 days as "Maybe" a Miracle could happen and sales bump starts to rise , From the look of it , 100K for launch window will be an optimistic expectation

It has nearly the same launch numbers and Bumps of Vanquish , Which is at 94K now

Paragon

I don't think you can put that on the lack of DRM though.
Prey and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider also performed poorly this year.
Bethesda don't seem to be doing a good job marketing their games, and I don't think anyone was expecting The Evil Within 2 to be a hit even if it is a good game.
Another Bethesda game launching on id Tech with performance issues doesn't help things at all either.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Performance issues prevented me from buying it, so they only have themselves to blame if it bombs

WaterAstro

I wonder how much does it cost to buy the tech license and implement it.

Also, people shouldn't gauge the success of a DRM from sales or steam stats.

Tealmann

I noticed that Wolfenstein 2 still doesn't have a Denuvo notice on its Steam page, so hopefully it won't be using it either.

Jumped to 54K today with 20K Bump , Better than 9K bump that was yesterday , I know Steamspy takes about a week until the numbers become stable , but from the look of it it will hover around sub 150K at max in the launch window

And no , Non-Denuvo isn't the reason , Pre-order charts for the game weren't that impressive before people would know that it won't have denuvo , Also All Nowadays Denuvo games gets cracked within a few days or even a few hours so it is nearly non-existent and we have dozens of examples where Games with Denuvo protection for a long time bombed and games without Denuvo succeeded

TGMIII

The PC port of 1 was horrendous and it seems like 2 has its fair share of issues too. Wouldn't be surprised if that put the majority of people off buying it at full price.

I don't think you can put that on the lack of DRM though.
Prey and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider also performed poorly this year.
Bethesda don't seem to be doing a good job marketing their games, and I don't think anyone was expecting The Evil Within 2 to be a hit even if it is a good game.
Another Bethesda game launching on id Tech with performance issues doesn't help things at all either.

I didn't follow those games at release.

Is there a way to see steamspy records longer than the default data?

It's only showing the owners change in the past 3 months.

Jumped to 54K today with 20K Bump , Better than 9K bump that was yesterday , I know Steamspy takes about a week until the numbers become stable , but from the look of it it will hover around sub 150K at max in the launch window

Yeah, that's quite a jump. It's probably going to do ok, after all.

Not surprised at the sales numbers. People didn't like the first one much, it continues to run like ass to this day, and the marketing just wasn't there at all.

The " Using word of mouth through streamers and Youtube figures " with minimum marketing didn't help RE7 and again it didn't help TEW2 , It could help indie games and AA games but it won't help AAA games , If you used it on AAA games , you will get Indie and AA Sales numbers

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there source or statement from bethesda?

The game went up on torrent sites and the like shortly after it unlocked and the group's NFO makes no mention of Denuvo, only Steam, but that doesn't necessarily mean Bethesda made a conscious decision to remove Denuvo:

The lack of Denuvo might be unintentional. The original executable depot was replaced with a new one, so it's possible somebody used the wrong executable when creating it. The damage has been done, though, so there'd be no point in fixing the mistake.

Bethesda hasn't and probably won't ever comment.

KingBroly

Banned
Not surprised at the sales numbers. People didn't like the first one much, it continues to run like ass to this day, and the marketing just wasn't there at all.

I forgot it had come out until I saw someone on Twitch playing it

Bethesda seems to have that problem nowadays.

masterkajo

The game went up on torrent sites and the like shortly after it unlocked and the group's NFO makes no mention of Denuvo, only Steam, but that doesn't necessarily mean Bethesda made a conscious decision to remove Denuvo:

Bethesda hasn't and probably won't ever comment.

Could you show me how you can tell that a change in the executable depot has been made?

I know that at this point we won't know for sure if Bethesda removed it intentionally or unintentionally or if it was never used in the first place, but I am just curious.

JaseC

Could you show me how you can tell that a change in the executable depot has been made?

SteamDB can't peak into depots its crawler doesn't own and can't properly track depots attached to unreleased games (if a depot is removed from or added to a package, that change to the package is recorded, but the associated change to the depot is not), but in the case of The Evil Within 2 this depot was removed from the game's packages a week before release and replaced with this one shortly after the game unlocked. There's no saying why a replacement executable depot was built in lieu of just updating the original one, but that's exactly why it's possible a mistake was made.

We'll know if it was a mistake when Wolfenstein releases in two weeks. Hopefully it's company policy now. I still want a Dishonored 2/Prey removal too because it's literally useless to them and a ticking time bomb to us.

Erevador

GAF's favorite Swede did a pretty positive video on the game on the 14th. Almost 2 million views by now. I think that'll result in a bump in sales when Steamspy updates again.

I think the 13th was a great time to release it, because I imagine it'll get a lot of streaming action during the Halloween season. It'll be interesting to watch how the title has done by the end of October. Steam reviews are euphoric.

We'll see.

Looks like we might hear a bad news , If Bruno MB could excuse me to quote him then this is what he said about The Evil Within 2 when asked to compare its UK launch Sales with TEW1 in the PAL Charts Thread despite charting 3rd in this week , I hope this turn out ok in the following weeks

Not too good for The Evil Within 2... a total disaster.

Edit : Less Than TEW1's Quarter according to Eurogamer , I hope this becomes only a Physical UK case and it does OK otherwise

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hin-2-physical-sales-were-quarter-of-original

JaseC

Looks like we might hear a bad news , If Bruno MB could excuse me to quote him then this is what he said about The Evil Within 2 when asked to compare its UK launch Sales with TEW1 in the PAL Charts Thread despite charting 3rd in this week , I hope this turn out ok in the following weeks

Edit : Less Than TEW1's Quarter according to Eurogamer , I hope this becomes only a Physical UK case and it does OK otherwise

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hin-2-physical-sales-were-quarter-of-original

I think you've posted in the wrong thread. The PC version being cracked immediately after release has literally nothing to do with the drop as the PC isn't among the platforms that Chart-Track tracks:

(UK numbers company Chart-Track does not log PC or digital sales.)

I think you've posted in the wrong thread. The PC version being cracked immediately after release has literally nothing to do with the drop as the PC isn't among the platforms that Chart-Track tracks:

The Thread turned out to be a talk in general for TEW2 sales so I thought I would share this , It is an indicator of the overall sales after all

Of Course it has nothing to do with Steam Sales as Chart-Track don't track PC or Digital numbers

Sorry if it looked Off-Topic from the OP

JaseC

The Thread turned out to be a talk in general for TEW2 sales so I thought I would share this , It is an indicator of the overall sales after all

Of Course it has nothing to do with Steam Sales as Chart-Track don't track PC or Digital numbers

Sorry if it looked Off-Topic

Ah, I see your point: the game doesn't seem to be selling well on any platform. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

alstein

DRM doesn't impact sales that much unless it's an immediate problem.

Tekken 7 sold fine with Denuvo. I mean, I don't like DRM one bit, but I know there are bigger threats out there than Denuvo.

Starforce was worse, that crap actually broke one of my old computers. I even refused to use Steam until around 2011 or 2012 because I was so DRM-weary after that.

Tekken 7 sold fine with Denuvo. I mean, I don't like DRM one bit, but I know there are bigger threats out there than Denuvo.

That depends on what threats you mean by that. Denuvo is a threat to the access of our purchased game, and a further limitation to the ownership we can have and feel about that. Don't know what other threats we have to that on the PC platforms, other then Games as a Service.

Nilua

I don't know how useful a metric this is, but the peak player numbers are way higher for the game in comparison to the predecessor. Maybe PC sales are at least within expectations?

e597b5b451.jpg

6a36948ead.jpg

prag16

Banned
Not quite on topic, and I'm not sure if there's a different topic; but another nail in Denuvo's coffin this week...

South Park was cracked in under 24 hours.

Top Bottom