• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

535onp.png
(banner by Suitcase Test, made transparent by OneEightZero)

Hey Gaf, I noticed the Linux thread earlier and it dawned upon me that we don't have an official Linux thread to help and aid Linux users that have questions and problems with the software, as well as place to talk about all the cool Linux stuff.

So by suggestion I've made this Linux thread.

I also did multiple searches to see if there was an existing Linux thread and nothing came up. So either one never existed or it is as old as the dinosaurs.

List of Distros:

Ubuntu-News.icon.gif
Ubuntu - The most popular distro. Prides itself with the phrase "Linux for human-beings". Great for beginners. Though it has switched to the controversial Unity app manager which has caused the biggest divide in nerd opinion since the introduction of diagonal analog sticks.

archlinux
Arch Linux - A distro more for the diehard Linux users. Mostly touted for its insane level of customization.

60859_12619_22_gentoo_icon.png
Gentoo - This distro is touted for its customization and lightweightness. Though is often seen as the most hardcore Linux out there. The Arch Linux of Arch Linux.

551024832crunchbang.png
CrunchBang - An Ubuntu based distro that's very clean, easy to tweak, and is fast.

fedora-icon.gif
Fedora - One of the most popular Linux distros. Contains it's known for both it's simplicity and complexity.

mandrivalinux20100gif.gif
Mandriva - The first "easy to use" distro. Prides itself on being "simple, open, and innovative." Takes only "10 seconds" to boot up.

icon_moblin_image_1.png
Meego - A distro solely designed for netbooks.

linuxmintxfce7gif.gif
Linux Mint - Regarded as the distro that is the easiest to use. Its the "new Ubuntu", as it is the new "my first Linux."

debianlivecdforps320070114gif.gif
Debian - One of the classic distros. It has inspired many other distros to use it as a base line, and is known for working on many architectures and for being very stable.

opensuse_icon_mini.png
openSUSE - Has a polished user environment and great system administrator utilities.

slack.gif
Slackware - The original and thus oldest Linux distro. Stable as hell.

jolicloud.png
Jolicloud - Arguably the best netbook distro.

For a second opinion:
WZ3hA.jpg

A distro list that goes into more detail.

Videos

2mrskco.jpg
This Week in Linux

News

OMG! Ubuntu (Ubuntu specific)

Suitcase Test's - Things to Install After Installing Ubuntu:
- Ubuntu Restricted Extras: installs all kinds of codecs and stuff (mp3, avi, mpeg, TrueType, Java, Flash, etc)
- Compiz: this is one of the most awesome things about Ubuntu, IMHO. Sure, spinning cubes and wobbling windows is fun, but there's also lots of useful settings. Install "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings", or "Simple CompizConfig Setting Manager" if you like to keep it simple.
- StartUp Manager: I don't use this a lot, but it's nice to edit your GRUB settings this way.

Graphics
- GIMP: it's (understandably) not in the default install anymore, but you can install it with one click. Such an amazing app!
- Inkscape: really nice vector graphics editor. I used Flash for years, so it took some getting used to, but it's worth it.
- Gcolor2: very simple, I use it to pick colors.
- Screen Ruler: also very simple, I use it to measure stuff on screen. :p Does inches, centimeters, pixels, etc. Very useful.

Downloads
- Deluge: Transmission is installed by default, and it's quite nice. This torrent app looks a little more like uTorrent.
- FileZilla: haven't used this a lot, but it's a good FTP client.
- LottaNZB: I don't use newsgroups, but if you do, this is a really nice client. Works pretty much the same as Transmission, quite simple but very nice.

Media
- Exaile: best audio player I've found, on any platform. Suits the way I listen to music perfectly! Everyone should give it a try. :)
- VLC: duh.

Misc
- SpeedCrunch: haven't used this a lot, but it's a good FTP client.
- Emesene: REALLY nice MSN client. Interface is much better than the official Live Messenger client.
- Revelation Password Manager: manages passwords.
- Geany: I use this to write HTML and CSS.

All of these can be installed with one click in the Software Center.

How to install software in Ubuntu:

There are several ways to do this. A few of them are these, from easiest to hardest:

- Using the Software Center. Go to Applications -> Software Center. Look for software, press Install.
- Using .deb files. DEB files are sort of like .exe or .msi installers for Windows, but even easier. You can get them from the Internet if the Software Center doesn't provide an app (for instance on Getdeb.net). Doubleclick to open them, press Install.
- Using a PPA. Software in the Ubuntu repositories is updates with every release, so if you want a cutting edge version of an app, you could use a Personal Package Archive from Launchpad. For instance, if you want to try out Nautilus Elementary from this PPA, open a Terminal and enter these commands:

- "Raw" Linux programs. These don't really install themselves, you just run them. For instance, if you download Firefox from Mozilla's website (instead of using the regular Software Center method), you'll get a tar.gz file. Rightclick and Extract it, then go into the folder and run the "firefox" file.
- Compile from source. I won't show how to do this, but if the app isn't in the Software Center, doesn't have a pre-packaged DEB and only provides the source code, this is always a possibility.

In other words, always look in the Software Center first. It has thousands of packages and most well-known open source apps are in there. :)

jiien

I approve of this thread! Glad to see it here...

Though I have no questions to ask, and am waiting for other people to contribute first. :)

Well, I am excited for the next release of Crunchbang. Anyone play with the Statler Alpha yet? My largest problem with 9.04 is that the packaged kernel doesn't support my wired/wireless card at all (some sort of Atheros in my EeePC), so it's always a bitch to hunt down newer/custom kernels to get it working (and I don't really want to do that). Hopefully the newest release fixes this. It should use the kernel that the newest Ubuntu is using, right? Because that has my wired/wireless working out of the box.

I'll throw my recommendations out there.

Full Install Distros
Gentoo
Ubuntu

And for usb bootable distros
Puppy linux

I'm too apathetic right now to go into full detail about why I choose these distros, but I'll say I think the portage system on Gentoo is something that should be adapted by more distros.

Glad that this thread got some replies. :lol

I'm going to update the OP a bit.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.4 as I need to learn Linux for my next job and I'm selling my Macbook Pro.

So far I'm satisfied with Ubuntu though it's harder to get it setup than it should. I'll keep playing around with the OS for sometime.

Marvelous

SELinux. Yea or nay?
I use Fedora and keep it enabled. It has yet to cause any major... or minor problems for me, but I tend to hear a lot of negative things about how it gets in the way and whatnot.

VAIL

Ubuntu is the way to go to get your feet wet, then you can move onto something else if you choose. I've run just about every flavor under the sun and can work in gui or cli and Ubuntu is just a nice comfortable choice.

If you feel like digging and fiddling and getting a feel for under the hood down the road Gentoo is the way to go.

emomoonbase said:
Don't run as root until you know what you are doing.
I've gone back and forth with this a bit. I think its good advice, in the sense that's its a good idea to be a user of a system for awhile before opening it up.

Problem is, if you're haveing issues with your instlall, most solutions require root and that's when most new users start to crash and burn.

Eh. Linux is kind of a break-it-to-learn-it type of system anyhow.

Trouble

Banned
Marvelous said:
SELinux. Yea or nay?
I use Fedora and keep it enabled. It has yet to cause any major... or minor problems for me, but I tend to hear a lot of negative things about how it gets in the way and whatnot.

Nay. Use AppArmor.

I updated the OP with download links and summaries of a few distros. If anybody has more distros or can contribute to a better summary please feel free to.

panda21

hey, can we get debian (ubuntu is based on it) and slackware (minimal package system with no dependency tracking, but good community and you choose exactly what you want) in OP?

also i'm not 100% but i think crunchbang switched from ubuntu to debian recently?

Fireblend

Banned
Some recommended apps for Linux (Ubuntu, specially) starters:

Ubuntu-tweak:

Great for starters. Lets you install and update some great apps as well as add some popular repositories to keep them updated, such as Chrome's, Banshee's, VLC's etc. Other than that it lets you configure some settings you usually don't have easy access to, such as the login background, the orientation of the min/max/close buttons (in case you dislike them to the left), what icons are shown on the desktop, the main menu's opacity (which normally involves some scripting to compiz), etc... there's just too much you can set up from this application.

To install, type this on a console:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

You can also install from its website http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Banshee:
This one you can install from the default repos or from Ubuntu-tweak (from there you can also add the most up-to-date source, so it's kept updated to the latest version). Excellent music player; in my opinion only slightly superior to Rhythmbox but still worth the shot; iPod support, last.fm compatibility, music store, etc...

Docky:
This is the best dock available for Linux, period. You can also install it from the default repos or Ubuntu-tweak (and the official source is there too). Add launchers, docklets, manage your open windows, position it in any border of the screen, give it the mac-ish 3D look, make it look like a panel, control everything from your music player to active torrents from it. Just brilliant.

Gnome-Do:
If you're coming from Mac and miss Quicksilver, or just need to increase your productivity tenfold you use this. Also requires compositing, lets you browse and manage your files, music collection, internet bookmarks, open other apps... you can even tweet with Gnome Do. And it's damn sexy.

Other good apps
VLC
Shutter
Inkscape
Compizconfig-settings-manager
frozen-bubble <== This is an addicting game. It's basically Puzzle Bubble, except it's got penguins, online play, local multiplayer and it's awesome.

And don't forget to install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra to get the whole compiz plugin collection, if your video card can handle it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I put Ubunutu 10.04 on my old, 2006-era laptop last week (first time I've installed Linux) and it's been doing well enough. I guess I should just jump in and immerse myself, but it's slow because the fan died... Was actually kinda hoping to put Chrome OS on it, but that doesn't have the hardware support I need.

Anyways, I'm really just posting to subscribe to this thread. Thanks for making one. :)

Fireblend

Banned
panda21 said:
also i'm not 100% but i think crunchbang switched from ubuntu to debian recently?
I believe they intended to do so, but the latest version is still based on Ubuntu... I believe they already have an unstable build using Debian sources though. (edit: yup http://crunchbanglinux.org/blog/2010/03/19/development-release-crunchbang-10-statler-alpha-1/) Here's an interview on why they decided to switch to Debian sources, for the interested: http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2010/03/interview-crunchbang-creator-explains.html

Also, OP, you might want to add Debian to the first post. Mint (http://linuxmint.com/) is also a nice option for starters, also based on Ubuntu. They just released their latest version (Isidora) based on 10.04.

Hey people, is there a way to make it so that when I click an application's icon on the dock that it will switch the window to that application, much like in OS X, instead of opening up a new window?

Fireblend

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Hey people, is there a way to make it so that when I click an application's icon on the dock that it will switch the window to that application, much like in OS X, instead of opening up a new window?
If you're talking about the default Gnome panels' launchers, then I believe not, as they're just launchers that behave the same as Windows' shortcuts. If you are talking about a dock like Docky... then what you describe should be the default behavior, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Fireblend said:
If you're talking about the default Gnome panels' launchers, then I believe not, as they're just launchers. If you are talking about a dock like Docky... then what you describe should be the default behavior, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Oh I know about Docky, I even have it installed, but it's pretty much the OS X dock in Ubuntu and it just doesn't "feel" right to me. IDK that's just how I am I guess.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This Week In Linux YouTube Channel!

That's an awesome youtube channel full of youtube updates that just go over general Linux things without getting all crazy. Perfect for us n00bs or at least me anyways! :lol

n a side note I just got all kinds of crazy....

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, downloaded the 64bit Ubuntu only version of Opera from the Opera Labs, and just watched some Ubuntu 10.10 video with some dude giving his weekly update with the new HTML 5 VP8 stuff. That was rather well fuck'n weird, but cool all the same! LOL

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Been giving some thought to installing Ubuntu on my Windows laptop after losing my Mac. The only major downside is losing Photoshop. =/

Alright people I updated the OP:

- Added banner
- There are now icons next to the names of the distro
- Mandriva distro has been added to the list of icon
-"This Week in Linux" Youtube channel added in the new "Videos" section

thcsquad

Trouble said:
Apparmor is much easier to configure and SELinux requires filesystem support, so it doesn't work on NFS filesystems.

Neither of those reasons apply to the guy who asked about SELinux.

He said it was already working for him on Fedora (IIRC, Fedora installs/configures it by default). And clearly it works on his filesystem.

Your concerns will more likely apply to somebody who wants to install something to secure their system. But Fedora users should be set with SELinux because it comes configured out of the box. Why change if its already working fine?

Now, on a different subject. Anybody looking for a good read on Ubuntu should look at Full Circle magazine. There's always some good how-tos and other articles there, and I'm constantly impressed by the production values/art/layout of the newsletter itself. Its centered on Ubuntu, but most of the content should be applicable to any distro. For instance, they have a recurring series of GIMP tutorials which is clearly distro-agnostic. They also have a podcast, though I've never been a fan of podcasts so I haven't heard it.

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

ZAK

I had a wall-of-text of packages I was about to update in my terminal and I immediately noticed that one in the middle was called "liboobs." My roommate found it hilarious.

OP needs more Debian, maybe.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
*lightbulb*

So I think I'm gonna tear the hard drive from my toasted Macbook Pro and install Ubuntu to it, then hot swap the two as needed for each OS. That way I can play with Linux and still have my Photoshop. ^_^

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OneEightZero said:
*lightbulb*

So I think I'm gonna tear the hard drive from my toasted Macbook Pro and install Ubuntu to it, then hot swap the two as needed for each OS. That way I can play with Linux and still have my Photoshop. ^_^

...dual boot? VMWare?

Cronos

Fireblend said:
I believe they intended to do so, but the latest version is still based on Ubuntu... I believe they already have an unstable build using Debian sources though. (edit: yup http://crunchbanglinux.org/blog/2010/03/19/development-release-crunchbang-10-statler-alpha-1/) Here's an interview on why they decided to switch to Debian sources, for the interested: http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2010/03/interview-crunchbang-creator-explains.html

Also, OP, you might want to add Debian to the first post. Mint (http://linuxmint.com/) is also a nice option for starters, also based on Ubuntu. They just released their latest version (Isidora) based on 10.04.

Not really. Ubuntu's based on Debian, in fact a lot of distro's are, like Mepis and yes, the newest upcoming Crunchbang version has also switched to Debian as their base. Also the most newbie friendly linux distro is probably Mint Linux. It started out as an Ubuntu derivative, with just some codecs added, but the latest versions have also been tinkered with under the hood on top that. A lot of people call it Ubuntu made better, although I don't necessarily agree with that. But for people switching from Windows this is probably the distro with the most familiar feel.

The best site (imo) to read about all the distro's, is Distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.com/

Also a nice site about daily Ubuntu news is OMGUbuntu:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

thcsquad

Brettison said:
This Week In Linux YouTube Channel!

That's an awesome youtube channel full of youtube updates that just go over general Linux things without getting all crazy. Perfect for us n00bs or at least me anyways! :lol

Wow, that guy talks way too fast. It sounds like he's late for a meeting and forgot about filming these until the last minute. The content is decent, though.

Fireblend

Banned
Cronos said:
Not really. Ubuntu's based on Debian, in fact a lot of distro's are, like Mepis and yes, the newest upcoming Crunchbang version has also switched to Debian as their base.

What did I say that made you think I wasn't aware of Ubuntu being based on Debian? I'm aware of that, I was just commenting on the above post mentioning Crunchbang planned to use Debian Squeeze's sources for its next version instead of Ubuntu's :p

Fake edit: Oh, you probably didn't notice I was talking about mint just after Debian, and thought I had things backwards :p

Anyway OP, how about adding some customizing sites to the first post?

www.gnome-look.org for starters.
http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/ is also a nice source for finding applications.

Cronos

Fireblend said:
What did I say that made you think I wasn't aware of Ubuntu being based on Debian? I'm aware of that, I was just commenting on the above post mentioning Crunchbang planned to use Debian Squeeze's sources for its next version instead of Ubuntu's :p

Fake edit: Oh, you probably didn't notice I was talking about mint just after Debian, and thought I had things backwards :p

Anyway OP, how about adding some customizing sites to the first post?

www.gnome-look.org for starters.
http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/ is also a nice source for finding applications.

You're right, I did read it that way. My bad :p

Anyway, here's a nice review of the new Mint Linux 9 version that was released a couple of days ago:

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/05/18/linux-mint-9-isadora/

Things to install after installing Ubuntu:

- Ubuntu Restricted Extras: installs all kinds of codecs and stuff (mp3, avi, mpeg, TrueType, Java, Flash, etc)
- Compiz: this is one of the most awesome things about Ubuntu, IMHO. Sure, spinning cubes and wobbling windows is fun, but there's also lots of useful settings. Install "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings", or "Simple CompizConfig Setting Manager" if you like to keep it simple.
- StartUp Manager: I don't use this a lot, but it's nice to edit your GRUB settings this way.

Graphics
- GIMP: it's (understandably) not in the default install anymore, but you can install it with one click. Such an amazing app!
- Inkscape: really nice vector graphics editor. I used Flash for years, so it took some getting used to, but it's worth it.
- Gcolor2: very simple, I use it to pick colors.
- Screen Ruler: also very simple, I use it to measure stuff on screen. :p Does inches, centimeters, pixels, etc. Very useful.

Downloads
- Deluge: Transmission is installed by default, and it's quite nice. This torrent app looks a little more like uTorrent.
- FileZilla: haven't used this a lot, but it's a good FTP client.
- LottaNZB: I don't use newsgroups, but if you do, this is a really nice client. Works pretty much the same as Transmission, quite simple but very nice.

Media
- Exaile: best audio player I've found, on any platform. Suits the way I listen to music perfectly! Everyone should give it a try. :)
- VLC: duh.

Misc
- SpeedCrunch: haven't used this a lot, but it's a good FTP client.
- Emesene: REALLY nice MSN client. Interface is much better than the official Live Messenger client.
- Revelation Password Manager: manages passwords.

All of these can be installed with one click in the Software Center.

Luckily, more and more software is available for Linux. If it doesn't install natively (like Dropbox does for instance), there's always a chance it'll run in WINE (Picasa and Spotify run really well).

I hope the Steam Client is coming soon. :O

How to install software in Ubuntu:

There are several ways to do this. A few of them are these, from easiest to hardest:

- Using the Software Center. Go to Applications -> Software Center. Look for software, press Install.
- Using .deb files. DEB files are sort of like .exe or .msi installers for Windows, but even easier. You can get them from the Internet if the Software Center doesn't provide an app (for instance on Getdeb.net). Doubleclick to open them, press Install.
- Using a PPA. Software in the Ubuntu repositories is updates with every release, so if you want a cutting edge version of an app, you could use a Personal Package Archive from Launchpad. For instance, if you want to try out Nautilus Elementary from this PPA, open a Terminal and enter these commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nautilus
sudo apt-get upgrade
- "Raw" Linux programs. These don't really install themselves, you just run them. For instance, if you download Firefox from Mozilla's website (instead of using the regular Software Center method), you'll get a tar.gz file. Rightclick and Extract it, then go into the folder and run the "firefox" file.
- Compile from source. I won't show how to do this, but if the app isn't in the Software Center, doesn't have a pre-packaged DEB and only provides the source code, this is always a possibility.

In other words, always look in the Software Center first. It has thousands of packages and most well-known open source apps are in there. :)

If I made a mistake somewhere, feel free to correct me (and you can add this to the OP if you want).

Trouble

Banned
Softwares I like that I haven't seen mentioned:

Songbird is righteous too. Not linux specific, but one of the better media players/libraries out there that runs on Linux.

byobu - Nice custom config for screen. If you live/work in the terminal like me it helps.

htop - Top replacement. You can kill processes from inside it without having to type the PID. Fat finger a `kill -9` a few times and you'll realize why this is so nice.

thcsquad

Flying_Phoenix said:
Can anybody comment on Ubuntu Studio or Mixx?

My brother is interested in using these but hasn't tried them before.

I use Ubuntu Studio for audio recording (Ardour). It works well - its basically just regular Ubuntu with some pre-installed packages and tweaks. I would also recommend the falkTX ppa if you're using Lucid - http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1350304
Use that if you want to have the most recent versions of audio production apps without compiling anything.

I haven't used Mixx so I can't comment.

jenov4

Good thread!

Question: Is Google Chrome updated as frequently as the Windows version? I'd be installing a Linux distro, but would like the updated browser.

Cheeto said:
Good list, but this program is actually a great calculator program
Oops! :lol

Yeah I meant calculator, copy/paste fail there. I like it much better than the regular Calculator. Just a tiny bit more advanced. :)

jenov4 said:
Good thread!

Question: Is Google Chrome updated as frequently as the Windows version? I'd be installing a Linux distro, but would like the updated browser.
You can install Chromium from this PPA. PPA's are updated with all your other software, so it's simply running the Update Manager to get the latest version.

Cool Ubuntu/GNOME/Linux tricks!

These are some of the handy little tricks I found out while using Ubuntu. Most of you probably know about these, but they're good if you're new. Hope you like 'em. :)

Compiz shortcuts: these are some neat keyboard shortcuts for Compiz:
Super+D: Simply return to desktop and back, just like Windows
Super+W: Mac Exposé-style window overview (probably shamelessly stolen)
Super+scroll: smoothly zoom in and out, can come in handy sometimes
Super+E: zoom out to show your multiple workspaces (you can drag windows from one to the other)
Super+N: turn the current window negative. Yeah, no idea what's it's good for.
Super+M: go to the Messaging Menu
Super+S: go to the Indicator Applet Session (with Shutdown, etc)
Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right/Up/Down: move to different workspaces
Dragging/resizing windows: besides using the title bar, you can also press Alt and start dragging windows from anywhere. Use Alt and drag with the middle mouse button to resize windows from anywhere.
Kill an app that's not responding: usually when an app locks up, Ubuntu will automatically ask you if you want to "force quit" it. This usually works quite well, but if for some reason you want an app to immediately quit, press Alt+F2 and type "xkill". Your cursor will change into an X or a skull, after which you can click on any app and it'll instantly close. Obviously, you shouldn't use this too much. :D
Everything has tabs! Not just Firefox, but also Ubuntu's default Gedit ("Notepad") and Nautilus ("Explorer") use tabs. It's pretty awesome. :)
Hidden folders: this is a really "beginner" one, but on UNIX systems (or at least Linux), folders with a dot as their first letter are automatically hidden. In the Nautilus file browser or save windows, press Ctrl+H to show or hide hidden folders.
Scrolling windows: this is only a slight change from Windows, but personally I quite like it. You can scroll in any visible window by putting your cursor above it and scrolling. How is this different? You don't have to click on the window first to raise it above the others.
Middle click paste: when selecting text, you instantly save it to a "second clipboard". Press middle mouse click to paste the selected text anywhere. :)
Integrate your Google Calendar: after importing your Google Calendar in Evolution, it will display all your when you click on the Date/Time (including different event colors). This sold me on Google Calendar.
Tearing windows from fullscreen: you can grab the top window bar of any fullscreen window and drag it down to "tear" it away from fullscreen (I don't know if this works without Compiz/Wobbly Windows).
Gmail in the Messaging Menu: this is the only Gmail notifier that I've found that integrates this nicely in the Messaging Menu. Install "GMail Notifier" (package is called gm-notify) in the Software Center to enable it.

Funny Terminal commands

sudo apt-get install cowsay
cowsay mooooooooo
cowsay [put anything here]
cowthink [put anything here]
sudo apt-get install sl
sl
[this is just a joke: ls is an often used command to list folder contents, thus sl is a frequent typo]
[Press Alt+F2, type "free the fish" and press Enter]
[Press Alt+F2 again, type "killall gnome-panel" to get right of it :)]
sudo apt-get install sl
sl
[this is just a joke: ls is an often used command to list folder contents, thus sl is a frequent typo]
sudo apt-get install fortune
fortune
[Press Alt+F2, type "gegls from outer space" and press Enter]
sudo make me a sandwich
[I wish this worked :( ]

Fireblend

Banned
Suitcase Test said:

Geany is amazing. I have used it to work with countless programming languages and it has never failed me. I always recommend it to programming starters. I wrote a whole Ray Tracer in C using it. Love it.

Also, I installed the Trisquel beta earlier. Other than not being able to use the nv or nouveau drivers for my Nvidia card, I'm surprised by how well it works. A nice alternative for someone who is extremely preoccupied about the real freedom concept (It's a 100% free OS. No propietary drivers, not even a hint at anything propietary. Heck, they modified the Linux kernel to make it work without certain propietary blobs). http://trisquel.info/en

And here's another easter egg:

Code:
aptitude moo
aptitude moo -v
aptitude moo -vv
Then try adding more "v"s to the command.

Also some Games, all installable from sudo apt-get [name]

frozen-bubble (Puzzle bubble clone)
nexuiz (online FPS)
warsow (another FPS, cell-shaded graphics)
supertuxkart (Mario kart clone)
supertux (Super Mario clone)
hedgewars (Worms clone)
neverball (Super Monkey Ball clone)

Man so many thing I need to update! :lol I'm a bit busy now, but I will get back to it soon.

thcsquad said:
I use Ubuntu Studio for audio recording (Ardour). It works well - its basically just regular Ubuntu with some pre-installed packages and tweaks. I would also recommend the falkTX ppa if you're using Lucid - http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1350304
Use that if you want to have the most recent versions of audio production apps without compiling anything.

I haven't used Mixx so I can't comment.

So wait Ubuntu Studio is like another OS I boot up separately and not a program?

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Anyone know of a working printer/scanner driver for lexmark printers? Stuff prints but scanning is a no go. I had a custom driver that worked in 9.0+ but can't remember where I got it.

Fireblend

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
So wait Ubuntu Studio is like another OS I boot up separately and not a program?
Yeah, it's an specialized distribution; a modified Ubuntu with a different collection of applications installed by default... you probably could turn a default Ubuntu installation into "Ubuntu Studio" just by installing the applications the latter comes with. I believe they even share the same software sources.

emomoonbase said:
Anyone know of a working printer/scanner driver for lexmark printers? Stuff prints but scanning is a no go. I had a custom driver that worked in 9.0+ but can't remember where I got it.
what model?

thcsquad

Flying_Phoenix said:
Man so many thing I need to update! :lol I'm a bit busy now, but I will get back to it soon.

It is sometimes packaged as one (you can burn an Ubuntu Studio dvd and install it like an OS), but it's really just a collection of software. Let's say you want to do audio production. Ubuntu has *tons* of apps for audio production, but who wants to go through all of those and install specific ones? Answer: install the 'ubuntustudio-audio' package. It will bring in a crapload of audio production apps and install all of them on your system, as well as install a real-time kernel for better latency (can be important for some audio work).

Rinse and repeat for graphics production and video production.

These 'metapackages' are the core of Ubuntu Studio. The other main thing is the ubuntustudio-desktop package, which installs two cool-looking theme (one dark, one light...I prefer the dark one) with correspondingly cool backgrounds.

So you can transform regular Ubuntu into Ubuntu Studio by just installing the six or so packages with 'ubuntustudio' in the name, and remove those packages at any time to switch back to regular Ubuntu. You can just install one or more of the audio/graphics/video metapackages, or you can just install the package that comes with the cool themes and backgrounds (I've done this before). Or, you can burn an Ubuntu Studio DVD and install it like its a separate OS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Also for gaming nerds while Team Speak has a Linux server app and a client app Vent only has the former and not the latter.

Mangler is a new program for Linux attempting to fix this. It's not perfect, but the beta has a bunch more options than the standard. Plus well it'll connect you to your vent server. My buddies say I sound weird though. Hey at least it works while they keep working on things! :D

Threi

notag
Gnome Do is insanely useful.

Kinda like Spotlight on OSX and the Start menu search or launchy on Windows.

Top Bottom