• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soylent 2.0 announced: Ready to Drink bottles, 29 dollars for 12 bottles, Vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

tumblr_mniwz7lzgr1qkxtxso1_1280.jpg

Totally down to try this for a while. Still gonna go to the effort of cooking delicious dinners, but it'll be nice not to have to bother with making lunches if I just can't be bothered on some days.

FStop7

Banned
Has GMO content
Has gluten

That eliminates like half their potential customers.

Just glancing over the nutrition label... it doesn't seem that different than a banana, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, and a multivitamin. And those cost a lot less.

I've been looking into trying this for awhile now.

Problem is, they release a new version every three months and end the previous version.

It seems like you're rolling the dice on getting horrible runny shits every new edition, based on their forums

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm drinking Soylent as I'm reading this. It definitely curbs my appetite and makes me feel a little bit more energetic. I don't go 100% but as a meal replacement when I'm in a hurry or at work, yes it does its job. It leaves me feeling satiated and not wanting to stuff my face with fast food.

I'm definitely going switch to the ready to drink bottles as it is cumbersome to make.

I'm drinking Soylent as I'm reading this. It definitely curbs my appetite and makes me feel a little bit more energetic. I don't go 100% but as a meal replacement when I'm in a hurry or at work, yes it does its job.

I'm definitely going switch to the ready to drink bottles as it is cumbersome to make.

How does it taste ?

What is it a rebrand of?

I must be a fool because I've been replacing about 1/3 of my intake of real food with soylent for 10 months.

Have you had any increased cravings for other foods or snacks when you have Soylent as a meal?

I ask this because I tend to really like texture in my meals, and I really prefer savory foods to sweets which tends to drive me away from snacking on veg and fruits as much as I should. I feel if I was to try Soylent as a way of reducing my calorie intake I'd just snack too much looking for something to chew on unless it was really filling.

i was thinking about getting a single bag of the other soylent stuff once it went vegan. But this is much more inviting. I always forget about lunch and its hard to eat vegan on the go with only a microwave and mexican food mart as the closest grocery store. They just dont stock some things.

They are, to a certain extent.

Evolutionarily speaking, cooking was a very important milestone as it decreased the amount of energy needed to digest raw foods like meats, vegetables, and so on. Given the opportunity, even chimps prefer "cooked" foods because it makes the proteins and carbs easier to digest. This allowed us to use more energy for other activities.

Cooking has been important for most of human existence because processed foods only became a thing in the last few decades. Once you can overcome the primary, evolutionary purpose of cooking foods, then isn't it just a waste of time at that point?
That's a nice, stark biological view that takes nothing into account in terms of the cultural and social importance of dining and cooking.

That's a nice, stark biological view that takes nothing into account in terms of the cultural and social importance of dining and cooking.

You don't have to stop eating or cooking all together. You can use Soylent as a meal replacement for when you don't have time or don't want to go through the hassle, and then you can cook a regular meal when you get sick of drinking shakes or want to have a sit down dinner with your family. It doesn't have to be all one or the other. It is an option that you can choose just like dining out or cooking your own meals.

Manoko

I still wanna try this for like a month

eating takes up too much time

Try raw meat.
I know you guys will probably think I'm crazy, but I know eat my ground beef steaks raw.

Saves a lot of time, and gives all the benefits meat has (vitamins not denaturated by cooking, healthy fat staying in the meat).

Just be careful of its source: E.Coli and parasites testing of the meat regularly is paramount if you decide to try raw.

itxaka

Defeatist
Isn't soy like really bad for testosterone? I would not want to just keep drinking all the time if indeed it is.

Manoko

Some of us cannot properly digest food, so stuff like this is a godsend for us... T_T

Try digestive enzymes right after your meals, as well as betaine HCL (+ Pepsin).
This should really help you digest food more easily, no need to juice everything.

What's more, an improved digestion will benefit your health tremendously. Correct mineral and vitamin absorption is life-changing.

You cook dine and socialize during your thirty minute lunch break?

Yes? Maybe not cooking, but dining, socializing if I get a chance to, absolutely. This is taking into account that I skip a lot of my lunches because of my work burden and I still do so when I can.

But that was completely not my argument, but instead I was pointing out that yes, we have gotten to a point evolutionarily where we can "process" our nutritional intake, but that doesn't take into account how important meals and food are to us as a species from a cultural and social standpoint.

pixelation

Try digestive enzymes right after your meals, as well as betaine HCL (+ Pepsin).
This should really help you digest food more easily, no need to juice everything.

What's more, an improved digestion will benefit your health tremendously. Correct mineral and vitamin absorption is life-changing.

I tried the digestive enzymes, but they didn't help at all... will try the other stuff, thanks.

factorybelt

Neo Member
My wife and I have been using the powder for lunches (work) since last November.

We are pretty happy with it. I am someone who is annoyed with trying to come up with interesting, reasonably healthy lunches 5 days a week and it has been a godsend to only have to spend like 5 minutes every couple of days to whip up a pitcher of this stuff.

Earlier versions gave me some stinky farts for sure, but not much of a problem for the last 6 months.

fushi

As someone with IBS and little love/enjoyment of eating, I would gladly replace all of my food intake with this.

Manoko

I tried the digestive enzymes, but they didn't help at all... will try the other stuff, thanks.

Betain HCL and pepsin are mainly to break down protein and fat. They make the stomach environment more acidic.

Do you have acid reflux when you eat ?
It's a good sign (paradoxically), that your stomach environement isn't acidic enough.

Yes? Maybe not cooking, but dining, socializing if I get a chance to, absolutely. This is taking into account that I skip a lot of my lunches because of my work burden and I still do so when I can.

But that was completely not my argument, but instead I was pointing out that yes, we have gotten to a point evolutionarily where we can "process" our nutritional intake, but that doesn't take into account how important meals and food are to us as a species from a cultural and social standpoint.

I don't see how this alternative goes against that. You can still go out to dine and socialize a couple times a week. Most of our meals are done in private, no?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You don't need to cook for a healthy lunch.

While true, many (most? nearly all?) American workers don't have a healthy lunch. The product isn't targeted at people who are already eating extremely well, taking care of themselves, and have a great, healthy food routine.

pixelation

Betain HCL and pepsin are mainly to break down protein and fat. They make the stomach environment more acidic.

Do you have acid reflux when you eat ?
It's a good sign (paradoxically), that your stomach environement isn't acidic enough.

Rarely, it depends on what i eat. I avoid food that has too many condiments.

n0razi

They need to offer free samples or something.. i want to try but not gonna risk wasting a whole order if i can't stomach it

1.0 tasted sort of like unbaked bread dough. If you're familiar with the taste, it's also has a recognizable hint of chinese buns.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but pretty delicious to me. I can see getting sick of it pretty quickly, but that's where mixing peanut butter into it would come in handy.

pixelation

1.0 tasted sort of like unbaked bread dough. If you're familiar with the taste, it's also has a recognizable hint of chinese buns.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but pretty delicious to me. I can see getting sick of it pretty quickly, but that's where mixing peanut butter into it would come in handy.

Sounds tasty to me!

stufte

If this can replace my lunch every day without feeling starved in the later afternoon, I might give it a try.

From the Ars article:

Rhinehart also says that the switch to soy for protein enhances the product’s texture and taste. There are some public concerns about high consumption of soy, but Rhinehart is quick to dismiss them. "Because we’re not using whole soy, we’re just using the protein isolate…the isoflavone levels are much lower than what they would be in soy flour or tofu. There are some levels, but they’re well below any that have shown to have an effect," he explained. "There was somewhat specious research in the past on what impact soy can have on testosterone levels and those have been widely debunked. We’ve certainly done our research here and we’ll be posting our analysis on the Web as well."

I've got a few pouches of 1.4 at home. It's drinkable, but I'm curious to see how 2.0 works out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"algae"

I'm pretty sure the algae they're claiming this is from went extinct.

I tried v1.5 and liked the taste, but mixing the stuff was a pain. Getting the right consistency was sometimes troublesome. Will definitely give pre-mixed 2.0 a shot.

nataku

I've always been curious about this. I like eating good food, but absolutely despise the process of cooking and cleaning up after. I'm poor as hell, so I don't have enough money to pay someone else to make me food or eat out all the time.

If they ever come up with a cheap, easy complete meal replacement that doesn't leave me deficient in some area I'd do it in a heartbeat. It could taste like garbage and I'd still do it, that's how much I hate cooking and cleaning up afterwords.

Sulik2

My main problem with soylent is the taste and texture have been getting worse with each revision. As a food source, when I need a quick meal or an easy lunch its great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom