• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is the third time I've watched Enterprise and I like it more each time I watch it.

The acting is overall weak and the storytelling can be pretty lame, especially in the first two seasons but it really does come on strong for the ending.

The new story runner they get in the third season also dials way back on the Sexy CW vibe that really ramped up in season 2 and early season 3 and when they do anything sexual in the back part its more tasteful and used more sparingly.

Trip is more or less the main character by the end of the show, something I don't think I really picked up on the first time I watched it.

antonz

It's borderline disrespectful if you ask me, firstly we have a series finishing earlier than it was suppose to just when it got really good (season 3 and season 4), secondly we have the fact that they let the cast get overshadowed by people who had nothing to do with the show for 4 years. Seems like a final attempt to get some interest by throwing in a bit of TNG in there..

I don't think they really knew what to do when they got the cancellation notice. I know they have stated the whole Trip/T'Pol child thing would have ended differently if they got renewed.

They probably could have just time jumped to the Signing of the Charter and kept it focused on the cast but Braga wanted the "love letter to the fans". The fact the people brought in to redeem Season 3 and 4 were left out of writing the finale shows. Finale was much like the early show when Braga and co had too much influence

I just finished season 2 of Enterprise. This is basically my first time through Enterprise because I checked out when it originally aired because I was bored by it and Firefly was on.

The stories in Enterprise are poor and only start getting consistently good towards the end of season 2 in my opinion.

The amount of episodes that revolve around someone getting lost or kidnapped via the shuttlecraft is staggering. Multiple episodes basically have the same plot.

I really recommend that people read Christopher L Bennett's Rise of the Federation books because they are fantastic.

Sephzilla

Finished Enterprise. What an inappropriate finale. It's not a bad episode, just an awfully final one.

The final episode of Enterprise being a
backdoor TNG episode
is so unnecessary. The Terra Prime two-parter is logically should have been the real finale of Enterprise since it ended with
the inception of The Federation

I just finished season 2 of Enterprise. This is basically my first time through Enterprise because I checked out when it originally aired because I was bored by it and Firefly was on.

The stories in Enterprise are poor and only start getting consistently good towards the end of season 2 in my opinion.

The amount of episodes that revolve around someone getting lost or kidnapped via the shuttlecraft is staggering. Multiple episodes basically have the same plot.

I really recommend that people read Christopher L Bennett's Rise of the Federation books because they are fantastic.

Enjoy Seasons 3 and 4 where the show finally gets better!

Fuchsdh

Eh, I can't really blame them for how they conceived "These are the Voyages". They were trying to make a Star Trek fan episode, with the obvious miscalculation that the people who stuck with Enterprise would probably be miffed that it didn't focus as heavily on the characters they cared about. I still like the idea of framing the E crew in the holodeck and seeing how much (retroactively) they did to set up the world we spent the most time in over the course of nearly 15 years, and while I can see the intent with tying it to "Pegasus" I don't think the "Riker learns to do the right thing through the holodeck recreation of these characters" element really works. It was an unnecessary return to that episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ksxNDPul.jpg

I just discovered that there was a genderbent alt-universe Kelvin-Trek comic. lol

nOoblet16

The one thing I've always been curious about is to know more about the cosmic beings like Q, Prophets, Traveler, Caretaker, Daoud etc. Now I realise that part of their charm is the mystery surrounding them but I would have liked to know just how powerful these beings are relative to humanity. We can make a guess and probably put Q ahead of everyone else, but it always makes me think about exactly who are the Q?

Are they just humanity from far far in the future that have evolved so far beyond anything that they can now exist at any time they want (including the birth of the universe and before and even the end) and do whatever they want? If so then why couldn't the other species do something similar? We'll never get the answer to these questions as they were never meant to be answered but it's fun to speculate nonetheless.

So CBS is offering a free month of All Access....but offer expires on the 18th and Discovery doesn't premier until the 24th (Apparently the second episode will be available the first day on the streaming service so we get two eps that day)

But since it's only a month your trial will expire before ST premiers :/

I'm still debating if I want to pay for it...since I only have Netflix I guess I can sign up for this just for ST

The one thing I've always been curious about is to know more about the cosmic beings like Q, Prophets, Traveler, Caretaker, Daoud etc. Now I realise that part of their charm is the mystery surrounding them but I would have liked to know just how powerful these beings are relative to humanity. We can make a guess and probably put Q ahead of everyone else, but it always makes me think about exactly who are the Q?

Are they just humanity from far far in the future that have evolved so far beyond anything that they can now exist at any time they want (including the birth of the universe and before and even the end) and do whatever they want? If so then why couldn't the other species do something similar? We'll never get the answer to these questions as they were never meant to be answered but it's fun to speculate nonetheless.

I think if they did that the show would have the same problems it has with Time Travel, it's better to just let these all powerful beings exist on their own and they interfere with humanity only at certain points for whatever reasons they have, if you start to give them histories/backgrounds or motivations you'll start to wonder why they don't interfere all the time. (DS9 kinda had this issue with the prophets towards the end)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm watching DS9 and man, Avery Brooks can turn on a dime in these scenes. It's clear he's not over his wife just yet and that he didn't really want this job, but is now stuck because he's the emissary.

Also Doctor Bashir is the most annoying Trek character ever in season one. All he does is fuck up his medicine, say something cringe worthy, be a complete jack ass, or inappropriately hit on Jadzia. He's Harry Kim tier of a failure. I get that most of this is intentional and leading to something...but jeez, the guy sure can act pompous and annoying.

I'm watching DS9 and man, Avery Brooks can turn on a dime in these scenes. It's clear he's not over his wife just yet and that he didn't really want this job, but is now stuck because he's the emissary.

Also Doctor Bashir is the most annoying Trek character ever in season one. All he does is fuck up his medicine, say something cringe worthy, be a complete jack ass, or inappropriately hit on Jadzia. He's Harry Kim tier of a failure. I get that most of this is intentional and leading to something...but jeez, the guy sure can act pompous and annoying.

Yeah I think of all the character that I eventually liked, after a shaky start, his took the longest to get to that point. I hated him in the first season.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I think of all the character that I eventually liked, after a shaky start, his took the longest to get to that point. I hated him in the first season.

I've seen this show no joke a dozen times and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get a single moment of hey, this guy isn't so bad before the season two episode with him stuck with the chief which kick starts their friendship.

He even fails in the medical based episodes of the season so far! The Babel plague is fixed by a random Bajoran doctor who was an intern on the virus and he was the one possessed by the alien doctor/criminal mastermind. I guess he did figure out the guy who wanted to frame Odo for murder was a clone.

Our man bashir.

I was watching Improbable Cause today. When Garak told Julian, could he please eat a data rod if garak died, I broke down. I love garak.

Julian seems to exists mostly for people to have someone to yell at when they're upset at the universe.

I've seen this show no joke a dozen times and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get a single moment of hey, this guy isn't so bad before the season two episode with him stuck with the chief which kick starts their friendship.

He even fails in the medical based episodes of the season so far! The Babel plague is fixed by a random Bajoran doctor who was an intern on the virus and he was the one possessed by the alien doctor/criminal mastermind. I guess he did figure out the guy who wanted to frame Odo for murder was a clone.

Yup that's around the time I turn on him is when he's with Miles,

TOS has a lot of issues mostly because of when it aired but it absolutely nailed it's characters from the start.

Sephzilla

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks Captain Sisko is a great character but Avery Brooks is not a good actor for the role. Brooks speaks with a near Shatner-tier cadence and it drives me nuts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like I'm the only person who thinks Captain Sisko is a great character but Avery Brooks is not a good actor for the role. Brooks speaks with a near Shatner-tier cadence and it drives me nuts.
Brooks feels like a theater actor who didn't bother dialing it down for TV like Stewart did. Having seen that episode with the Romulan ambassador somewhat recently, it's most apparent in that one where he's basically acting into the camera.

Fuchsdh

Yeah Brooks' acting grates on me occasionally. Mostly I think it's fine, but sometimes it comes off as almost unhinged in a way Shatner's performance didn't (probably because everything was a lot more amped up in the '60s show in comparison.) When I think of the best performances he gave, it's usually way more subdued (like the "we're talking about this but in a way that I have plausible deniability" scene between Sisko and Worf before Worf decides to confront Gowron.)

Pluto

You're not the only one, I think he's the weakest actor among the trek captains, Stewart and Mulgrew are the best by far (Mulgrew was let down by the writing but her performance was excellent).

Fuchsdh

You're not the only one, I think he's the weakest actor among the trek captains, Stewart and Mulgrew are the best by far (Mulgrew was let down by the writing but her performance was excellent).

In retrospect, dodging the Bujold bullet was an amazing bit of chance for Voyager.

Cheerilee

Have you seen the footage of her as Janeway? She wasn't good.

Last time this subject came up, someone posted a video comparing two identical scenes, one with Bujold and then the exact same scene again with Mulgrew (CBS has since kicked it off youtube).

I mentioned back then that I thought Bujold did a better job of conveying strength and intelligence, while Mulgrew seemed more "human".

Looking at Voyager in hindsight, I think that the show frequently said that Janeway was an engineering genius, but every time they said it, it felt hollow, as if this was a character trait that the writers were just pulling out of their butt (even though it was well established, every time they said it, it felt made up). And the show had issues with always trying to present Janeway as being strong, as the showrunners were terrified of being accused of making the first female Captain in Star Trek look weak. And, when I think back on Janeway, humanity never seemed to be one of her strengths (the show actively tried to say that all Humans in the future act like blocks of wood, leaving non-Human characters like the Doctor to deliver the emotions).

Based on those three criteria, I have to conclude that Bujold might have been a better fit for the character of Janeway.

Although I think the writers/showrunners mishandled Janeway throughout the entire series (Mulgrew did the best she could with what she was given), and they logically could've/should've shaped the character to fit Mulgrew's performance, so who is to say they wouldn't have screwed the character up in an entirely different way if Bujold had the role?

maharg

idspispopd
I think the idea is they're predicated more on biometrics than anything else, but they also show data getting past that with an accurate voice print so.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TNG and Voyager (god especially Voyager) have every tom dick and harry hack the shit out of the computer. Even relative primitives like the Kazon can do it in a few days with the help of one gifted Cardassian spy.

Top Bottom