• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WOW Mind OVR Matter is super cool!
It took me a few minutes to figure out it's deal but when it gets going it is entirely radical!

Since you're a telekinetic person you can throw objects that are not near you. It was weird in the tutorial because it just felt broken. Like, you reach down to grab the box and throw it but the box is then 4 feet in front of you and moving at a slight delay.

But the game is this crazy physics things with hundreds of objects. And you control them like this giant wave. Its soooo cool. You're spinning around in circles commanding this giant tornado of balls and boxes and they're crashing against the walls and then you HURL THEM ALL at an enemy and it gets obliterate by this huge torrent of projectiles.

Thats a good one!

Oh mama I really need to play that new Sairento update.

PettyThriftyAphid.gif

Wow that looks rad! Buying that after work tonight, will be my first VR purchase in some time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To The Top is very cool too!!
The soundtrack has some misses but the actual game is very very polished and slick. I think you're training to be a drone pilot to oppress the people?

I think I can say its the best of the climbing games. Its kinda what I was expecting Windlands to be. Very cool. Super fluid and fast and fun. There are moments in windlands where you sail through the trees grappling on different surfaces but it just never quite happens right. At least for me so far. TTT isn't exactly the same but the split second decision making is what it does really well. You can't really just go for it in Windlands which is sorta disappointing.

Though goddamn someone needs to make an Attack on Titan game with the grappling mechanic.

Zalusithix

I want to play the Sairento update, but seeing as how I'm nursing a plantar wart currently, any standing VR play is a tad too uncomfortable to bother with.

Padinn

My vive controller trigger is squeaking on press. Seems like a common issue, should I rma?

Also can someone explain new supersampling. I was trying it while Arizona sunshine was running and didn't see much difference when ramping it up. I'm on a 1080 (overclocked) so trying to figure out what most games will work at

Also I just noticed Thumper is 30% off on Steam - I'm starting to stack a bunch of VR games for when I get my Vive and I remember hearing good things about VR Thumper. Edit: Hah, and there is literally a thread on the first page right now with people saying exactly that.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just read this on UploadVR. Superhot VR will be $19.99 for the first week (goes up $5), and there's an additional discount for existing Superhot owners.

Thats a rather good price.

I might be slowing down my purchase after that though, steam sales is coming up next month

ArtHands

"Defenders of the Realms" Vr announced for Vive/Rift by the studio who is making Seeking Dawn VR

Heres a concept art
F9WaoVB.jpg

People in Germany are starting to get the Deluxe Audio Strap. Pretty positive detailed impressions from one poster on Reddit:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The new headstrap feels very lightweight and flexible - almost a cheap feeling in hands. The build quality is pretty good tho - check the images above. However, my first thought was "holy shit, how can this be 130 bucks?", but I own a pair of Sennheiser HD25 for DJing ($200 headphones) and I know this means nothing. You can remove the headphones from the strap and even the cables for it, so the audio part is completely modular, which is a big plus!

REPLACEMENT
So there are no instructions how to remove the original strap in the manual - just a link to the vive support page. I'm happy I found this video a few days ago on the Vive Tutorials YouTube Channel. You can remove the headphones btw, but you will need a screw driver: http://imgur.com/a/m11pa The replacement was pretty simple and almost self-explaining. No screws, no stuck pieces, very easy to remove through a simple click-system. If you feel unsure, just watch the 2 minutes tutorial on YouTube.

COMFORT
MUCH better now. The original strap is always slipping off when you play games, where you have to look down a lot or just turn around very fast. This is very annoying, becuase you are losing the sharp sweetspot inside the lens quite often and you need to readjust it every few minutes. BelkoVR and RacketNX are two good examples, that expose the low quality of the default strap. You need to readjust the headset every few minutes and you always notice the headset moving on your head and losing the sharp sweetspot.

Also putting the HMD on and off is always a bit of fumbling since you have to open all the velcro bands to fit your head size. All of this is almost fixed now. You can put the headset on within seconds. Just open up the adjustment dial on the back, put the whole Vive on your head and rotate the dial at the back to adjust the fit. The whole headset feels more stable and fixed on your head - I really like this. The only one left velcro band on top seems to have a higher quality as well, but we will have to check this in a few months for a final conclusion.

As you can see on my images, the 3-in-1 cable is now attached to a clip on the right side of the strap. I highly recommend everyone to use the included velcro cable tie to center the cable position in the back of the strap again. Otherwise you will feel the cable constantly on your shoulder, which is very annoying while moving your arms.

So overall the new headstrap is tighter and more stable on your head (no suprise here). It doesn't slip so fast anymore, but I still noticed a slight movement while I was turning my head very fast. There is still room to tighten it up a bit, but I'm pretty sure this will feel uncomfortable in longer sessions. The HMD itself is just too heavy and too big, so we won't get a 100% satisfying solution in this generation. There is no way I will ever put a Vive on my head with the old headstrap - it's just crap and feels like a cheap china version after you tried the new one.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
Yes it is better, but not a total game changer. The HMD itself is pretty big and heavy and it still remains front-heavy. What's more important for me, is the fact, that the new strap is able to handle the weight better. The whole headset sits more stable and fixed on your head. The old strap always felt very loose and cheap and I stopped playing because of this - this is fixed now. It's an improvement, but don't expect wonders.

HEADPHONES & SOUND QUALITY
The integrated headphones are pretty balanced overall. I feel like the high-frequencies are a bit more dominant, but that's alright and doesn't stand out too much (I'm usually listening to EDM, so I prefer slightly bassy sound). Of course they can't keep up to my Sennheiser HD25, but the integrated headphones are pretty decent. I would say most casual people won't notice a difference between these and some random (neutral) headphones for 50-100 bucks. You could say they are on par with all the mid-range gaming headsets below 100 bucks - just with more neutral sound, which I personally like. I tested the integrated headphones with Elite Dangerous, Arizona Sunshine, BigScreen Beta (watching movies and trailers) and also with just playing some 320kbps music files in Windows.

I won't replace them, since they feel really comfortable with the new strap. You can perfectly adjust them with a small finger move - there is nothing to complain here. The noise-cancelling is almost non-existent, but that's good for home-use. I don't like headphones with high noise-cancelling, because you start to scream around and don't understand your friends in the room. We are talking about usual on-ear headphones and you will be fine, if you don't play on very crowded places.

CONCLUSION
So is it worth the money? Yes. Is it a must-have for Vive-owners? Unfortunately, yes. The old headstrap is a piece of shit. It feels loose, you always need to readjust it and putting the headset on and off is always so much fumbling around. I literally stopped playing with my Vive, because some games really exposed the low quality of the old strap and wearing additional headphones was annoying too - especially the audio cable. The comfort with the new strap is MUCH better. It's not perfect, because the weight of the HMD itself is also a problem, but I can deal with it now. The integrated headphones are decent and the audio quality is good - nothing to complain here. For 130 bucks you can fix 2 big issues of the Vive (integrated audio & more comfort). If you tried the new strap, the old one looks and feels like a joke.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6cto2v/got_my_htc_vive_deluxe_audio_strap_images_quick/

Another German also managed to get the TPCast from China and had positive impressions:
It fucking works! Please excuse the expletives, but I am almost as stoked as when I tried the Vive for the first time. Setup was pretty straightforward, there was a bit of fidgeting involved in getting the software to detect everything properly but pretty much 20 minutes after starting the installation I am knee-deep in zombies and loving some untethered Arizona Sunshine goodness. Yes I did crank up SS to 2.0, same visual fidelity as when on a wire, at least from what I could tell from a quick 20 minute spell. Same goes for audio, I listened to some Muse tunes that I am intimately familiar with on the wire and then again wireless - I could not telll any difference at all. I also just received my shipping notification for the Audio Strap from alternate.de plus my wife announced she'll be with a girlfriend over the weekend, so it's a full on wireless and audio-strap-comfortable VR weekend coming up. I'll be sure to share with you guys in a separate post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6cm8so/my_tpcast_has_just_arrived/

Durante

I feel like the having to readjust the default straps on the Vive every time you use it part is hyperbole -- I haven't touched it at all over my past dozen sessions or so.

Anyway, everything does sound good.

Zalusithix

I feel like the having to readjust the default straps on the Vive every time you use it part is hyperbole -- I haven't touched it at all over my past dozen sessions or so.

Yeah, I was really confused about that. Unless you're sharing the headset with somebody else, there's zero reason to ever touch the velcro adjustment after it's set.

So I've had this weird problem ever since I got a new Graphics Card. My main monitor is and has to be plugged into my gpu via hdmi. Previously, I was plugged into the Linkbox via HDMI as well, but my new graphics card has less ports, so I'm now plugged into the Linkbox via a displayport to minidisplayport cable.

For some reason, if I leave the displayport cable plugged into the Linkbox but unplug the Vive, my computer will still think there's a second display connected, which becomes an issue on non-Windows operating systems. I also can't see the bios or anything else pre-OS-boot, presumably because it's displaying on the phantom Vive monitor.

If I unplug the displayport cable from the Linkbox, everything is fine.

Is this solvable?

sqwarlock

Been having a lot of performance issues recently on my 1070. H3VR constantly drops frames, even with SS set <1.0. Hell, I'm even getting dropped frames and reprojection in the empty dark grid environment.

I've tried all the fixes I see on Reddit (Disable Avast game mode, disable MSI Afterburner, disable Flux, etc.) and nothing's helped. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to use my very expensive hardware because it's just not running as well as it did a month or so ago.

jwc13ac

Updated impressions from new Vive owner:

Havent had a lot of time to spend with unit (crazy busy at work) but some observations!

Rec Room is a blast! Almost ignored this because the style seemed like I wouldn't like it, but just messing around in the lock room is so funny. Didn't even know there was a Mic, and some kid goes "hey look!" As I turned he quickly snapped a selfie of me and him. Too funny. Paint ball seems legit.

Google earth is mind blowing, again not much time but gotta get back in there. Is there a "Street View"?

2 comparisons to the PSVR I had and sold:

1. played thumper on both now (love the game) and it seems clearer on Vive. I can see what people say there is a bit more "screen door" but the resolution makes up for me IMO. Its interesting to see direct comparison.

2. The headset is still a bit tricky to get set just right. The PSVR was way easier (still not super easy). I really want that Updated Audio strap. It slips around just a bit too much. I should note that I JUST found out there was Velcro on top, so that will prob fix that.

Other than that I haven't had too much time to play but LOVING. Still looking for a flying game, gonna try the ones a few memebers recommended. Why is eve: valkarie still $60??

Tainted

Regarding the head strap on the Vive....I have a fairly large head, so I am constantly adjusting that top strap as it 'bunches' up near the front after adjusting it (hard to explain, but Vive owners will probably know what I mean)

Once you adjust the top and side straps it does not move around much, I have more of an issue with it feeling too tight after a long session or a sharp feeling under the eyes where the rubber presses.

Zalusithix

Google earth is mind blowing, again not much time but gotta get back in there. Is there a "Street View"?

There's an option to allow 1:1 scale in the config menu. Then you're effectively street view once you target the ground. Mind you, the asset accuracy and texture quality is rough and not really designed for that sort of purpose. The 1:1 mode is much better used up on high buildings looking down on a city and such IMO. Well, assuming you don't have a fear of heights at least.

ArtHands

Updated impressions from new Vive owner:

Havent had a lot of time to spend with unit (crazy busy at work) but some observations!

Rec Room is a blast! Almost ignored this because the style seemed like I wouldn't like it, but just messing around in the lock room is so funny. Didn't even know there was a Mic, and some kid goes "hey look!" As I turned he quickly snapped a selfie of me and him. Too funny. Paint ball seems legit.

2 comparisons to the PSVR I had and sold:

1. played thumper on both now (love the game) and it seems clearer on Vive. I can see what people say there is a bit more "screen door" but the resolution makes up for me IMO. Its interesting to see direct comparison.

2. The headset is still a bit tricky to get set just right. The PSVR was way easier (still not super easy). I really want that Updated Audio strap. It slips around just a bit too much. I should note that I JUST found out there was Velcro on top, so that will prob fix that.

Other than that I haven't had too much time to play but LOVING. Still looking for a flying game, gonna try the ones a few memebers recommended. Why is eve: valkarie still $60??

there is going to be a Steam Sales next month, you can wait until then to buy the game at discounted price. You can prepare by keep track of the date here.
http://whenisthenextsteamsale.com

Also install the "Enhanced Steam" browser extension. It shows you where you can buy your game at the cheapest price (though the saving isnt much). Steam isnt the only place you can buy Steam game.

I have heard good things about Elite Dangerous too. Also House of the Dying Sun and CDF Starfighter and Space Rift but i cant vouch for their quality

Star Citizen may have VR too, but their statement is rather confusing
http://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-senior-dev-vr-support-dont-hold-breath/

Do keep a look out for Superhot VR too. Its coming out tomorrow

the210

Can anyone tell me how non-gaming VR applications are coming along. I thinking about things like sporting events, concerts and virtual tours types of applications.

jwc13ac

there is going to be a Steam Sales next month, you can wait until then to buy the game at discounted price. You can prepare by keep track of the date here.
http://whenisthenextsteamsale.com

Also install the "Enhanced Steam" browser extension. It shows you where you can buy your game at the cheapest price (though the saving isnt much). Steam isnt the only place you can buy Steam game.

I have heard good things about Elite Dangerous too. Also House of the Dying Sun and CDF Starfighter and Space Rift but i cant vouch for their quality

Star Citizen may have VR too, but their statement is rather confusing
http://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-senior-dev-vr-support-dont-hold-breath/

Do keep a look out for Superhot VR too. Its coming out tomorrow

Thanks for that link, yeah I'm hoping for a good VR showing in the steam sale. My poor wallet :(.

Ill check those out, someone else recommended "House of Dying Sun" and Elite dangerous was peaking my interest. Will hop on one.

I LOVED regular super hot, that is a day one for me!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

ive only had to adjust it once the first time i put it on ive never had to readjust it

ArtHands

I tried Superhot VR on my friend's Oculus Rift and I had a lot of fun. I'll like to try out other Oculus Rift exclusives in the future too

Z3M0G

Can anyone tell me how non-gaming VR applications are coming along. I thinking about things like sporting events, concerts and virtual tours types of applications.

Y'know, I was just thinking this morning there's been surprisingly little non-game "experiences".

I think this is for a couple reasons. First, the resolution and overall lens/screen quality is just too low for productivity use. Text for example is just really difficult to read.

Second, there's no real way to do "live" events like sports or concerts, because everything needs to be reconstructed via a 3D model. You can record 360 degree video (and there's a TON of such content on Youtube and the like), but without positional tracking (the ability to lean forward and backward within a scene), a lot of immersion is lost. 360 video can be cool, but you won't feel as though you've truly been transported to a different location.

That said, there's a handful of great content out there. Everest VR is a documentary/tour of Mount Everest, and The Blu lets you walk under the ocean.

I think there's been a lot of progress in creating volumetric video that would allow some positional tracking. The trick is making that possible live. I think that's probably the issue with even regular 360 video in making the image quality good enough streaming to be worth it at all let alone charge you for it.

Zalusithix

This my question too. My glasses always come off with the vive and smear across my greasy face.

I with they'd just make a PSVR head strap for this thing already.

My glasses stay on fine when taking the headset off. Are you using the stock foam with the cut outs or aftermarket options without them? I mean, I can get foam smearing on the lenses while taking it off if I'm not careful. Still, it's technically possible for me to put it on and take it off smudge free - without touching the straps. It basically consists of putting the HMD to the face first with one hand and pulling the strap down over the back of the head with the other. On removal it's a matter of pulling the HMD forward before pulling it up.

I think there's been a lot of progress in creating volumetric video that would allow some positional tracking.

Progress perhaps but nothing that consumers can download and use. And it remains to be seen how many years away from that point we are.

(If I'm wrong about this and there's some piece of news I missed let me know, because I would love to experience a photo-realistic, volumetric scene in VR)

Durante

Do you wear glasses?
Sometimes yes, sometimes I use contact lenses.
Has no impact on how the strap is adjusted though.

Really, when I read some of those impressions of the standard strap I can't really follow. Both the readjusting and the idea that the headset isn't stable on your head. Perhaps head shapes really make a massive difference.

Tain

I never feel the need to readjust the straps, but the headset definitely isn't rock-solid stable on my head. If I'm fast enough and really trying I can get it to shift a little even on what I think should be a very tight fit.

Durante

I never feel the need to readjust the straps, but the headset definitely isn't rock-solid stable on my head. If I'm fast enough and really trying I can get it to shift a little even on what I think should be a very tight fit.
Well, I wouldn't say it's "rock-solid" either, if I do a very quick and abrupt motion of course it will shift slightly -- but some of these stories sound like it shifts even during normal active use, which is certainly not the case for me.

The type of shifting that still happens with abrupt movement seems to me like something that could only be prevented by a full well-fitting helmet-like setup, but I'll see for myself when I get the deluxe audio strap.

Really curious to compare the rEvolve headstrap with the deluxe audio one. rEvolve is supposed to start shipping around the 29th so I'll probably be getting both around the same time.

Zalusithix

Perhaps head shapes really make a massive difference.

I'm not sure if it's the shape or the size, or a combination of both things, but my sister can't get it to sit well on her head without slipping around in use. So that much is definitely a YMMV issue.

Mine shifts if I'm looking straight down.

The only thing that helped me a bit regarding this problem was extending the velcro on the top more and then really tighten up the sidestraps... to the point it's not really that comfortable to wear anymore. Looking straight down is still the most problematic thing.

the210

Y'know, I was just thinking this morning there's been surprisingly little non-game "experiences".

I think this is for a couple reasons. First, the resolution and overall lens/screen quality is just too low for productivity use. Text for example is just really difficult to read.

Second, there's no real way to do "live" events like sports or concerts, because everything needs to be reconstructed via a 3D model. You can record 360 degree video (and there's a TON of such content on Youtube and the like), but without positional tracking (the ability to lean forward and backward within a scene), a lot of immersion is lost. 360 video can be cool, but you won't feel as though you've truly been transported to a different location.

That said, there's a handful of great content out there. Everest VR is a documentary/tour of Mount Everest, and The Blu let's you walk under the ocean.

Thanks for the info even if it was bad news.

Dremorak

Banned

That said, there's a handful of great content out there. Everest VR is a documentary/tour of Mount Everest, and The Blu lets you walk under the ocean.

Well you could possibly do a realtime environment scan... similar to how valve made those real world areas your could visit in The Lab. It would probably we quite low quality mesh to be able to process it in real time (probably something like google earth where the meshes all kind of blend together) but it would be pretty cool to see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom