• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive VR headset gets $200 price cut

Enzom21

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/21/16177270/htc-vive-price-cut-599
The HTC Vive virtual reality headset now costs $599, a $200 reduction from the starting price of $799.

”I think this is going to make it much more attractive to consumers, much more attractive to businesses, and
we feel confident this is going to be something that drives an enormous uptick as we move into the holiday season," Rikard Steiber, president of Viveport, told Polygon.

Finally! I really want to get one of these to play Skyrim and Doom soon.

Hopefully this price drop will reach Europe too...

Am I wrong to think the Vive 2 is around the corner...?

An HTC rep said they expect this version to be the only one into 2018.

Edit:

The exact quote:  “This is not about clearing the channel to make room for another product. We do expect this version of Vive to stay in market well into 2018,” he says

Wollan

So that's a $100 difference between the now post-sale Oculus Rift bundle (w/Touch and no Xbox controller) vs the Vive.
In that case I would go back to recommending the Vive above the former.

Durante

Good. The more people get solid 360° tracking out of the box the better.

Am I wrong to think the Vive 2 is around the corner...?
That depends on how large the corner is. It's certainly not releasing this year, and very unlikely to be releasing early next year IMHO.

The LG SteamVR headset should be closer, but we haven't heard about it in a while.

Jimrpg

$399 (rift) is way more palatable than $599... but I can't complain about a price drop.

EDIT: Still $1299 in Australia (AU$100 discount)

$399 (rift) is way more palatable than $599... but I can't complain about a price drop.

Yea... I ended up getting it at $300 from the prime sale as they never sent me the GC. $360 with the extra camera for roomscale. I always wanted the Vive. But, just can't compare with that price.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice. Had my Vive since day 1 and have loved every second of it. Absolutely unbelievable.

Jimrpg

Yea... I ended up getting it at $300 from the prime sale as they never sent me the GC. $360 with the extra camera for roomscale. I always wanted the Vive. But, just can't compare with that price.

Yeah if I was living back in Australia where its far easier to resell something, I would get the Rift to hold me over until the Vive was a more decent price. I suppose if they are close enough it probably doesn't even matter in the long run, but I like how the room scale is so good in the Vive and I have a larger room (4m x 4m) so the laser tech might be better suited.

$300 is a very reasonable price I think for high end VR.

It's just another Vive, using Valve's technology, but LG's version, instead of HTC.
HTC was just a contractor, so there will be more in the future.

Tested video on it.

I also think it's using the new version of Lighthouse.

I will definitely be on board for the Vive 2.0 later, especially if it has higher res and wireless. I think their tracking system is just miles beyond what the competition offers. Although 3-4x Oculus camera functions very well, however dealing with the cords sucks. I will say, the Touch controllers are so much better than the other controls to me. So I hope I can keep and use those, or the Knuckle controllers will be out by then.

Mascot

I'm more than happy with my £220 CV1 for sim racing, but it's good to see the entry point for VR continuing to drop.

It's a start but it's still not at all competitive with the Oculus CV1. That includes 7 high quality games and (in my opinion) a superior motion controller. $450-$499 with a bunch of games, more than they're offering, would be the sweet spot ($460 is what it'd cost to get an Oculus + third sensor).

Hell, toss in a voucher for those impending Valve VR releases so people have at least something comparable to Robo Recall.

sprinkles

My PC is due to an upgrade early next year (CPU 5 years old by then), so I wanted to jump into VR with Nvidia's next GPU series. Any price cut at all until then is very much welcomed, maybe we'll get further 100€ off during the holiday period.

Alx

Any news of the Dell/Acer/Lenovo cheaper headsets that were supposed to release in August btw ? I assumed the price cuts from Oculus and now HTC were related to those, but I haven't seen any sign of official release yet.

iswasdoes

Anything that gets more devs on board. I'm loving my Vive but hoping we get some games that are not arena shooters.

Also pissed at the amount of oculus exclusives there are (yeah I know I can ReVive but still).

Ionic

Great to see HTC finally lower their price. I do wish at this point they'd make the deluxe headstrap standard as well though. However I think all future headsets will have comfortable easy-adjust mounting so it won't be an issue for long.

Ban Puncher

Sigh, I bought it for $100 off during Amazon Prime Day...

Pa94t4v.gif

Ah k. Is the Rift okay for glasses aswell? I've read Vive is fairly good for that. And finally, does the Rift work with SteamVR games?

Wouldn't recommend glasses with the Rift, scratched lenses and all.... But everyone who "needs glasses", including people who are significantly impaired that I've come across have been completely fine without glasses. If you can, check out a unit at a retail store and see how compatible you are without them. Otherwise it'd be wise to get the lens adapters for an extra $30-$60

Ah k. Is the Rift okay for glasses aswell? I've read Vive is fairly good for that. And finally, does the Rift work with SteamVR games?

Yea it does work generally pretty well with Steam VR. As far as glasses, I have very large glasses so while they worked, it was uncomfortable. I have wide Ray-Ban frames. I'd strongly recommend you either get VR covers long version interface for glasses or perspecriptiom lens replacements. There's a few options for this. WidmoVR will do an all inclusive package with adapters and the lenses. Or you can 3D print/have someone 3D print the adapter for you and get a pair of $9 lenses here that work just as well (The second option is cheaper and probably quicker) but requires a little work. My 3D printer is coming this week so while I have the long interface for the Oculus coming as well, I will likely try this option soon as well.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460

Wouldn't recommend glasses with the Rift, scratched lenses and all.... But everyone who "needs glasses", including people who are significantly impaired that I've come across have been completely fine without glasses. If you can, check out a unit at a retail store and see how compatible you are without them. Otherwise it'd be wise to get the lens adapters for an extra $30-$60

Uhh what do you consider significantly impaired lol? I'd say anything over a diopter of -3 is probably too much. Possibly even -2.

After playing around with it, 599 is still way too much for me. I've made my peace with the fact that the current crop of VR offerings isn't doing anything for me. Resolution is just too fucking low for me, even on Vive and Oculus. Let alone the cables and setup being clumsy as fuck for all of them.

But for those on the fence, 599 is a much more palatable price point.

What games exactly are people playing with their VR headsets these days? Still thrilled I sold my CV1 rift for no loss after having it as a dust collector for few months last year. Have zero reason to get one again and I highly recommend anyone on the fence reconsiders unless you have a nice disposable income.

grendelrt

Tempting but I am waiting for lighthouse v2 and knuckle controllers. Hoping the LG headset ships with both. Don't see the point buying all their tracking 1.0 stuff when 2.0 is around the corner.

Top Bottom