• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4

Glass Rebel

Played this sorta kinda in preparation for Lost Legacy, enjoyed it quite a bit.

What I liked:
- Platforming and climbing in the older Uncharted games felt like a chore. Here it's still not super engaging but the multiple paths, slopes and the rope add some variety.
- The addition of stealth is probably my favourite aspect. Makes some encounters entirely skippable if you're good enough. The rope also gets some decent use.
- The relationship stuff with Elena is really good. It's always been my favourite aspect of the story of these games and it was nice to see another, different chapter to their life. Some of the dialogue was powerful and really hit close to home.
- Nadine was cool albeit a bit underused. I hope they explore her backstory in LL. Also those arms whew lad whew I'd let her beat me up every day.
- The car chase in Madagascar brehs. The closest any car chase has come to making you feel like in a movie. I felt like I was legit playing a James Bond movie.
- While the story isn't super interesting, I think ND is getting better and better at how they tell them. Direction and acting is on point. Has me excited about TLOU.

What I didn't like:
- The combat encounters where you're basically thrown into an arena and enemies attack you from all sides are kinda dogshit. Would have liked more stuff like the train level in UC2.
- There's a lot of windowshopping. Which is fine to a certain extent but it can grow a bit stale after some time. Entering Madagascar was sublime but they really dragged it out.
- Sam isn't really an interesting sidekick. There isn't much to his character to differentiate him from Nate. Makes sense since he's brother but I didn't enjoy it. It also doesn't help that the flashback chapters are amongst the worst. The one where you "explore" that spooky ass house might be the most boring in the series. Troy Baker makes the best out of it though.
- The Epilogue was whatever. Personally saw it as redundant because it didn't say much more than what the game already did. The themes and its message were strong enough. Gave me Harry Potter vibes sans the stupid fanfic names.

Things I feel mixed about:
- Rafe wasn't quite as shallow as the other villains in the series but I don't think he's developed enough for me to buy what they're trying to sell here. The flashback chapters could have been spent exploring him more and maybe would have helped with Sam as well. Ended up being more annoying than anything.
- Considering this is a story about pirate treasure... You don't really get to do a lot of piratey stuff. The pirate ship in the end was very disappointing, for one. Would have loved a cool setpiece on a pirate ship.

So all in all, very solid and a good closing chapter to Nate's story. I give it 8 Jeff Goldblums. My series ranking looks like this:

UC2 > UC4 > UC3 >> UC1 > rectal examination > Golden Abyss

Combat encounters are the best in the series. Uncharted 2's train combat was too on rails (no pun intended). Uncharted 4's combat discouraged staying behind cover. Maybe that's why you didn't like it? It's designed so that you use the openness and verticality of the level for your advantage.

Glass Rebel

Combat encounters are the best in the series. Uncharted 2's train combat was too on rails (no pun intended). Uncharted 4's combat discouraged staying behind cover. Maybe that's why you didn't like it? It's designed so that you use the openness and verticality of the level for your advantage.

Nah, I already said I liked those open levels. It helps to read the OP.

Wollan

Over a year later the freedom of the boating level, the nuances in character relationships, the last third with its 'heart of darkness' feel and the powerful ending is what I remember the clearest. This game is a monster when it comes to production values and excelling at multiple fronts in game development.

Gurish

Agree with your ranking OP, UC2 is king but UC4 is easily the second best and is awesome as well, I personally feel that UC1 was better in 2007 than how UC3 was in 2011 (does it make sense?) but of course that by today's standards UC3 is much superior.

Great review and ranking :)

Is Golden Abyss really that bad? I have it on my Vita, but never got around to playing it. Should I just skip it altogether, even if I really like UC1-4?

It's okay. A fun game that lacks the sense of scale of its big brothers. I also had it on my vita since I bought on sale years ago but never got to play it untill recently.
It's also pretty short. Since you already have it, you can give it a shot and see for yourself.

Edit: I agree with your ranking OP. I replayed U2 a few weeks ago and it's still my favourite. U4 it's so different that I feel its on a league of its own.

Is Golden Abyss really that bad? I have it on my Vita, but never got around to playing it. Should I just skip it altogether, even if I really like UC1-4?

it felt a bit more like Uncharted 1, but the story and characters are not as charming as U1 cast, it also didn't have the setpieces of Uncharted 2 forward. but it's a solid shooter on portable. also, I really like the motion control aiming

sn00zer

Not a fan of Uncharted, but I really liked Nadine. Her role as a contractor was great, and I love how they played off the fact that she wasn't evil or double crossing. She had a contract with Raif, she honored that contract until it was clear her losses were not going to be covered, and then she told them to fuck off and she left. She also owned a private military company, under no circumstances was Drake going to be able to fight her one on one and win. Really cool understated "villain" who was much more a third party than the cackling villains from previous games.

JP

As seems to happen in any Uncharted thread people are understandably listing the games in order of preference.

I've done it myself loads of times but I don't think that I can do that anymore as I absolutely love all of them, I have absolutely no idea just how many hours I've spent on each of the games in the series as I've played them all so many times. I think I've got to the stage now where each of the games has their own special place for me, they all have their strengths and weaknesses but when I play any of them I'm completely lost in the game world in a way that is so rare for me.

I do understand how people can prefer one game over another but all these games just make me smile now. :)

Glass Rebel

Rafe is a very well written and acted villain IMO. Much better than the other games.

Eh, they tried to sell him as this guy who has an inferiority complex because he got everything handed to him on a silver platter and people knew but I didn't really feel it. They said it several times but it wasn't like people took him less serious because of it.

Entertaining game. I think it's a bit divisive because of how successful it was (GotY on GAF too) despite not being outstanding at anything but offering a consistent and fun campaign with pretty good shooting and great set pieces. It's just something that appeals to many people and I certainly had my fun with it too.

Ricky_R

Nice write up, OP. Overall, I share most of your impressions even though I disagree with some stuff like gameplay, epilogue, etc. Anyway, glad you liked it. I thought it was fantastic.

Also nice to see someone who also enjoyed the climbing in this game.

Also nice to see someone who also enjoyed the climbing in this game.

While I think Uncharted 4 did have some pacing issues in regards to how it spaced out combat, I actually did enjoy the climbing quite a bit as well. It's obviously not hard, but it feels very tactile and they did a good job of including lots of little environmental puzzles in every climbing section. It makes you feel very connected to the environment and sells the adventure vibe really well. A lot of the climbing felt like it took cues from the ice cave section of Uncharted 2, which up until 4 was the best stretch of climbing/exploration in the series.

Glass Rebel

While I think Uncharted 4 did have some pacing issues in regards to how it spaced out combat, I actually did enjoy the climbing quite a bit as well. It's obviously not hard, but it feels very tactile and they did a good job of including lots of little environmental puzzles in every climbing section. It makes you feel very connected to the environment and sells the adventure vibe really well. A lot of the climbing felt like it took cues from the ice cave section of Uncharted 2, which up until 4 was the best stretch of climbing/exploration in the series.

Yeah, there's quite a few sections where the game requires you to observe the environment and use all your tools and moves. It's obviously not classic Tomb Raider tier but still. I also enjoyed how it was incorporated in the combat.

Sygma

Oh no, not this argument again haha. 4 > 1 > 3 > 2...

3>4>2>1 here ;D

Absolutely loved the pacing in 4, including the calmer aspects. It's a game about burning out, though the contrast between Sam's enthusiasm and Drake's weariness was really well represented throughout the adventure. A slow burn indeed

Also loved why Nathan wasn't even mad about Sam lying, because he used the same kind of tactics in his past, so he understand where he comes from (hell, he's even doing the same to Elena in the game). Even telling him that there's always something more to run after, but ultimately it always feel hollow, while realising that he simply needs to be on the move with the persons who count for him. That bit with Elena agreeing about going in adventures or just doing things together was really sweet, perfect ending

Ricky_R

Yeah, I agree.

Roufianos

2=3>1>4

I found it to be a massive dissapointment. Far too much downtime and not enough of the over the top action that defines the series.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I started playing it last night for largely the same reason as OP, I remembered that I owned it but never played it and figured I should do that before Lost Legacy. I'm still early on, stopped at the opening of chapter 6 last night. It's good so far but damn, the earlygame focus on retconning Sam to be someone who has existed all along is awkward and weirdly paced. It genuinely feels like his inclusion would work far better if UC4 was your first game in the series and you play the original trilogy afterwards, and considering that this is intended to be the grand conclusion of Nate's story that feels a bit off-putting. So far he's bland and not particularly interesting, which makes his presence as a key focus a bit of a hindrance to the game fully pulling me in. Still, I am enjoying it and looking forward to the rest, it's gorgeous and the grappling hook is already a game changer for traversal segments. I just can't help but feel that maybe making a more serious, more character focused story that hinges entirely upon a huge retcon being accepted at face value with no questions asked is a bit of a misguided goal.

Glad you liked it overall OP!

My ranking is: 4>>>2>3>1>GA

It's far and away the best Uncharted for me, skyrocketing the love I had for the characters with its engaging story. It's also a masterclass in theme, and (despite other opinions) has flawless pacing. Though I do understand why people wanted more action!

I know people struggled with it, but I was able to suspend my disbelief with Sam, and I'm glad I could. I loved his flawed persona, and the subtle actions that showed he really loved his brother, despite his mistakes.

I'm very excited for Lost Legacy. Tuesday needs to hurry!

Hostile_18

Banned
Posting here since the OT is closed?

Anyone got any tips for chapter 20 on crushing? Have played about 4 hours stuck on the same bit, it's insane. Once got down to the last heavy armour man but got killed :/

There is hardly any ammo and they can kill you so friggin easy. Love the game but fuck this chapter, needs another checkpoint for sure.

(I don't want to activate tweaks)

Top Bottom