• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halcyon 6 |OT| 16bit 4X-COM RPG

Halcyon%206%20-%20Screenshot3.png
Que es Halcyon 6?
A monstrously crowdfunded sci-fi strategy RPG with a unique blend of base building, exploration and deep tactical JRPG style combat system with capital starships and their idiosyncratic officers, all captured in stunningly beautiful modernized pixel graphics.

Space Base
Spend resources to build station facilities (rooms) to enhance your production and technological capabilities, or build ships to help you control more territory. Good luck, Commander.

Crew Management
Assign crew to station facilities to greatly improve their output efficiency, or to ships where they can contribute in unique ways to combat, missions and events. Change their names, direct their level paths, manage their experience perks, etc.

Battle systems engage
Fight tactical ships in the air and ground battles to resolve hostile events, create a foothold in the sector and ultimately defeat the enemy mothership- if you can. Air combat like a turn based FTL and ground combat like legacy era Final Fantasies.

Star control
Assign your fleets to nearby galaxy clusters where they can handle emerging enemy threats, do missions for alien factions or secure bonus resources.

- Randomized start seed, battle damage values, and encounters.
- Dynamic systems reacting to intergalactic outcomes.
- Multiple choice questions with consequences.
- Lots of fun and tough as nails.
- Single player

Available for PC on Steam, created by Massive Damage

d8d084d5fc02ef49606450391d3b4d3b2bc099d0.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
It's really good. It's one of those rare Combine X Y and Z games and genres that actually feels like it meats that lofty goal for the most part.

Even in beta it beat me mercilessly by a certain spawn point. :O At this rate I'm struggling to see the second part!

Lovely graphics, animations, humor, customization, etc.

Gothos

Was interested in this and then I read steam reviews. Seems like it has shallow, repetetive combat which for me is a deal breaker.

Trojan

I need to play this game when I get home later this week. Sounds right up my alley and I've heard nothing but good things and how it blends genres.

Klyka

Banned
This game is really really fun.

It's well written, the graphics are charming, the battle animations well done and the randomness in events can lead to some fun stuff happening.

I am only 2 1/2 hours into my first campaign but so far it's all good!

Remember, don't trust ANYONE but the Korzan!

Yeah, I really love the humor mixed with the animation, it's so very detailed.

Got level 2 ships, and I'm really starting to regret not building a Propulsion Lab or a proper B team. So many Chruul!
I've proceeded to Tier 3 and was succinctly obliterated. :(
I'm near positive that's a way to gauge if you will survive the onslaught, the time it takes you to reach Tier 3 ships and how quickly you can get them experienced enough to destroy the Spire.

Yeah, I really love the humor mixed with the animation, it's so very detailed.

I've proceeded to Tier 3 and was succinctly obliterated. :(
I'm near positive that's a way to gauge if you will survive the onslaught, the time it takes you to reach Tier 3 ships and how quickly you can get them experienced enough to destroy the Spire.

It's a bummer, because
I rescued the legendary engineer on New Terra, but he doesn't sync with my ships and captains at ALL; he's got godlike skills, but they totally dirsupt my attack order. Suddenly my Archer is basically a Disrupt Weapons bot 'cause none of her high-damage exploit effects are present, lol.
As a result, my fleet takes so much damage from each encounter that I have to keep sending them home, which is simply too much of an impediment. Something to keep in mind for next playthrough, I suppose.

aravuus

This is not a roguelike in any way, right? When you start a new game, you're expected to stick with it and actually finish the game some day?

Everyone keeps bringing up FTL, the difficulty, and how open-ended or whatever it is, which all make me think of 3-4 hour runs, the expectation that you'll die dozens and dozens of times before even getting close to "finishing" the game etc

Syranth

I got to a point in the game where I was like, "YES! I made it!" The game then puts forth another goal where I just looked blankly at the game and took a break for a couple of days. So much carrot and stick with this one. I love the game, but let me feel like I'm winning once and a while!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Simply loving this game. I haven't taken on New Terra yet, but I am sort of enjoying the loops I have going on right now to get my two teams leveled up enough to tackle it.

Someone earlier mentioned repetitive combat. Not sure where that's coming from. So far, I have found the battles to be pretty thrilling. There's a nice flow once you've up a team that can make great use of the Inflict/Exploit mechanic.

This is not a roguelike in any way, right? When you start a new game, you're expected to stick with it and actually finish the game some day?

Everyone keeps bringing up FTL, the difficulty, and how open-ended or whatever it is, which all make me think of 3-4 hour runs, the expectation that you'll die dozens and dozens of times before even getting close to "finishing" the game etc

Nah, it's not a roguelike. It has similar stylings, but it's not. You don't get any progress carryover between deaths, so there's that, for one thing. It's more XCOM-like in that you're not expected to get your first few tries right due to the difficulty curve.

aravuus

Nah, it's not a roguelike. It has similar stylings, but it's not. You don't get any progress carryover between deaths, so there's that, for one thing. It's more XCOM-like in that you're not expected to get your first few tries right due to the difficulty curve.

Alright, thanks. Might check this out later today

e: and I did. Not sure about the game yet, but the music is amazing

The difference between beta and release is freaking night and day, almost to the point I wish I waited. Everything seems so cohesive now, it's really easy to get a game up and running, it feels like their simulation math is sound.

I still haven't seen the second act! Haha

I just beat the Chimera boss on Commander, holy hell what a fight. A full fleet of Tier 3 ships and it was tooth-and-nail the whole time. That 10,000 health and 2,000 damage per attack is no joke.

JoeMartin

Got this during the steam winter sale on a whim, finished it today. Was ish-enjoyable. Still some games breaking bugs around, but luckily the game autosaves every 10 days (in game) so its not too much trouble if you hit one.

Biggest complaint is the same as any other turn based combat game in this vein - once you develop a combat routine that works you can apply it to every fight regardless of the circumstances, with no preparation, and win - made combat very tedious towards the end.

The campaign was far more sprawling than I though it would be, but mostly iterated on who you're fighting and where, and since the combat amounted to taunt/tank with eng, buff with tact, heal with sci, and spam AOE, most of it started to feel like filler.

Was certainly worth the price and my time but, until something comes along to spice up combat, I don't see myself replaying it.

Biggest complaint is the same as any other turn based combat game in this vein - once you develop a combat routine that works you can apply it to every fight regardless of the circumstances, with no preparation, and win - made combat very tedious towards the end.
I feel like this is a lot of tactics games but I agree.

This game is really well made. They just had an update that added items to be equipped by ships as well as additional events. They also changed from losing personnel to taking structural damage when being bombarded.

I am surprised this game isn't getting more attention.

This game is really well made. They just had an update that added items to be equipped by ships as well as additional events. They also changed from losing personnel to taking structural damage when being bombarded.

I am surprised this game isn't getting more attention.
Give it a few 30%, 45%, 50% Steam sales and people will bite I think. I actually keep pausing a near failed state because they keep adding dope features!

I still haven't encountered the additional Space Pirate content, just barely dipped into the benefits of those. I fucking love it's playing field / main map so far as Act I and almost II is concerned.

The past several updates have been so significant, it makes you wonder why they didn't implement the added systems from the beginning. Ship items, full power roster to choose from rather than chance upon, character re-rolls, new quest outcomes...

I can only wonder what they're planning for the next patched-in content.

LordRaptor

Picked this up in the steam sale and its pretty damn great.
I wondered why I hadn't heard much about it before, and if this is the OT and hasn't even hit 30 replies... welp.

LordRaptor

I have this game wishlisted, and I keep going back and forth on whether to just give it a go or not.

I was unsure because theres a bit of a mish-mash of different pixel art styles going on, but the gameplays really solid so far (admittedly only a few hours in)

Top Bottom