• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candies in Britain get smaller again

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDR_11k

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/26/brexit-confectioners-shrink-maltesers-sweets

Confectionery firm Mars is shrinking the pack size of favourite sweets including Maltesers, M&M’s and Minstrels by up to 15% in the latest example of an industry trend that is shortchanging shoppers.

It is the second time within a year that Mars has reduced the number of Maltesers in its sharing bags, which now weigh in at just 93g. Last autumn packs of Maltesers, billed as the lighter way to enjoy chocolate, shrank from 121g to 103g.

The taste of sovereignty.

pitchfork

Your average packet of crisps is ridiculous now too! you barely get a handful

Bring back the good ol' days of 10p Tangy Toms

Saya

never forget

external

Go to Aldi and get a Moser Roth bar.

I'm sure this year Mother's day cards have been shortened. You lift one out of the rack only find its a tiny square like card and not a rectangle. Had to go to another shop to not look like a cheap bastard buying some little square card.

daxy

Man, Maltesers are already an expensive bag of hot air. Packing in even less is downright criminal.

We do our main weekly shop in Morrisons and it's been painfully obvious that prices are sneaking up and portion/pack sizes are shrinking, particularly on anything that isn't Morrisons' own brand. I think some of the rise was masked by Christmas - prices were cut and there were plenty of BOGOF offers, but when prices returned to "normal" post-season they had actually sneaked up a little, and there's been a steady drift upward since then in our weekly shop for a lot of our regular purchases. Even on something simple like their own-brand Greek yoghurt, there's been a 20p increase in the last few weeks.

We get some of our other shopping from Lidl and prices seem to have remained more stable there, but I'd say we've seen a £10+ increase in our weekly shopping outlay since Christmas, with quite a few of the packaged items shrinking in size, and I don't expect it to get better any time soon.

shira

For fucks sake. It puts me off buying brand chocolate that, genuinely. You pay £1 odd for a tiny bar of chocolate, its hardly worth it.

Well their analytical psychologists think that shrinking the candy is better than raising the prices. Are you willing to pay £2 for last decade's £1 bar?

Jesus Christ didn't take long for the brexit whine to flow. Tomorrow man steps in dog poo. #thanksbrexit

After a benign period where inflation was close to zero, living costs started rising again last summer thanks to a combination of higher oil prices and the Brexit vote’s blow to the value of the pound, which has made imports to the UK more expensive. Last week official figures showed inflation had jumped to 2.3% in February, the highest rate for more than three years. The bigger-than-expected rise will intensify fears over people’s living standards being squeezed this year by higher living costs. While inflation has been going up, wage growth has been slowing, leaving households worse off.

Maybe read the article instead of whining.

Impotaku

Companies have been pulling this shit in the uk for years and years before brexit. It's just now they can rip people off and use it as a handy scapegoat while crying that they don't want to but they have to.

wagon wheels, lion bars, monster munch, malteasters, mars bars, creme eggs have all shrunk in size compared to how they used to originally be.

Let them keep going, they will eventually see what happens when people stop buying and their profits nosedive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom