• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

LordKano

Reviewers have been on the, "its okay if Nintendo does it" bias for decades.

giphy.gif

Mael

Funny that for the last 5 years no one complained about Nintendo bias or some shit.
I stopped all my salf intake these days, I only need to browse Switch threads with all the crying it's more than enough.

Dayum so many 10s.. Switch library already starting to get epic.

Between this and portable PuyoPuyo Tetris my free time is ded.

TS-08

Look carefully at any game and it has flaws. Being outstanding in its genre is worth a 10/10 to a lot of reviewers even if they can see some things they would improve.

The "perfect score should mean a perfect game" mentality is one of those things that I'm surprised still exists as much as it does.

Luigiv

Couple questions:

What was different about the battle mode before the Deluxe version?

What is the controller situation for local multiplayer? Like can two people play each with one Joy-Con?
The original release didn't have any dedicated battlemode arenas, it instead simply reused the 8 of the mains modes racetracks and called it a day. Needless to say this did not work particular well as you would spend most of the match just trying to find other players and not really having enough space to manuevre we you did bump into each other.

Deluxe dumps the origanal maps replaces with 8 entirely battle mode specific arena style maps (5 new, 3 remakes). On top of that it adds more modes.

I'm actually surprised by the reviews so far. I know 8 was considered an awesome game, and that this version has new content and some upgrades, but I figured most reviews would hang around the 8 mark almost out of principle due to being an enhanced port/remaster/whatever term you prefer. Regardless, I'm happy to see this version delivers the goods because I'll be buying it and I didn't own the original.

Also, this thing is going to be huge. Just massive. This will, in my opinion, ultimately outsell 8 on the Wii U and will make sure the Switch continues selling like crazy for a while.

Speaking as someone who owns the original game and its DLC, I share your astonishment. Granted, the DLC included and restored Battle Mode stages really helps round out what's already a great package, but I wasn't expecting the metascore to surpass the Wii U version or for the reviews to be this enthusiastic.

Cleve

Best Mario Kart gets better, and now is on a platform people want to own. Can't wait

...isn't this out NEXT Friday?

Sure, but it's been done for ages and Nintendo knew reviews would be poisitive. No reason to not get it out there and let the hype build for people that missed it.

BusterJol

They should really return to the Mario Kart DS challenges. That was a beautiful game.

Also does the Battle Mode have a level on a giant Switch? Needs that if not.

Still need to get this whenever Switch's are actually available.

Ah the old, "Playing a multiplayer game for the single player. pffftt." comment. Weird how a game like Battlefront 2 now has a dedicated single player, or Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, after so many people said the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if MK 8 had a better single player, although I own it on the Wii U and played it a lot and I don't like multiplayer games. However, it's still a multiplayer game and if that aspect is deemed to be great, so is the game. Occam's razor says that's more likely than it all being a conspiracy to praise Nintendo games when they're not worth it or whatever.

Battlefront was heavily criticized because the game was bare bones as fuck even for a multiplayer game and previous games in the franchise had SP and just all around more stuff. Same with Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat was praised for adding a robust single player, not the other way around.

Peltz

Cool. Not surprising that it's reviewing well. MK8 is pretty timeless and this looks to be a better overall package.

I seriously don't understand why they won't let us play battle mode as elimination style anymore. At least for local play. I hate timed battles. I never touch timed battles in the Smash Bros games. :/ So damn annoying.

Wait, did they put all this effort in to bringing back battle mode and just cripple it by not allowing elimination?

Who makes these terrible decisions?

Mael

Same here. Granted, the DLC included and restored Battle Mode stages really helps round out what's already a great package, but I wasn't expecting the metascore to surpass the Wii U version or for the reviews to be this enthusiastic.

I'd say you can out that on the setup of the Switch in comparison to WiiU.
Want multiplayer?
On Switch? No problem you already have 2 controllers out of the box and you can buy more for roughly how much you would have spent for WiiU

On WiiU? You gonna spend for these pro controller or you better have kept wiimotes.
Oh and the tablet does nothing.

It's also a more meaty proposition.
I would guess any remasters/ports/whatever that does the same should score better if the base game hasn't gone old in the mean time.

Switch is kind of a cheat since Wii U was almost a beta system. If you skipped the Wii U, the Switch first party line up is unbelievable for a launch year. If you had a Wii U, this year is still better than the last couple of Wii U years and you won't complain.

I agree with the part if you skipped the Wii U but I don't agree with the if you had the Wii U that this year is still better than the last couple of Wii U years.

I understand this can now be played portable but really how many hours can one play the same MK lol? I've already spent many hours playing the game and thus got the enjoyment in the last couple of Wii U years.

It's a good game but not my personal favourite MK by a long way, probably to do with its the same game over and over again. Lol when you look at the courses comparing the 3DS>Switch!

Plus I'm a touch salty :) ;

- They couldn't bring the Battle Mode to Wii U? I already bought their DLC so why not DLC this?

- They couldn't have released ZBOTW for Wii U earlier?

Def good for non Wii U owners though so enjoy to the full for those people :)

FinalAres

Reviewers have been on the, "its okay if Nintendo does it" bias for decades.

I think it would be a really interesting piece of research to look at videogame journalism, and the inherent biases and how they differ geographically.

When I look at video game journalism in the United States, it is heavily biased towards Nintendo, but I don't think its just blind bias. I think reviewers grew up with the kinds of games Nintendo produces (and are good at producing) and review accordingly.

Somewhere like the UK though, we've traditionally been more biased towards Sony, and narrative driven games. And I think that's because the biggest growth in video games in the UK came later, when PS1 was out. A game like Zelda for example does little for me because its so gameplay heavy, and I want my games to be an immersive narrative experience. Some of you probably did a little inside sick when I said that, but equally when I see people saying "games are games, gameplay > story I think 'that's crazy'.

Obviously its not as simple as US likes Nintendo, UK likes Sony (metro.co.uk being a perfect example), but I'd love to see in depth analysis that takes in to account market/economic growth, scores..

In fact maybe I should write this piece. Does it sound interesting to anyone else?

jts

...hate me...
But all them Switch players that finish Zelda and sell the console because there's no other games whatsoever.

Azuran

Banned
After Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the next Nintendo Switch must-buy. It's the best the series has ever been, offering one definitive package. With the glorious return of Battle Mode, improved visuals and more content than ever before coupled with more ways to play it than ever thanks to the Nintendo Switch, I don't think fans could ask for much more.

lol

How about a decent roster?
How about more racing tracks?
How about some rebalancing of items?
How about mission mode?
How about online tournaments?
How about not charging full price for a remaster?

Neiteio

Metro.co.uk

This sort of thing really grinds my gears
It's not a direct equation. The game is greater than the sum of its parts. They're essentially saying, "Single-player is basic, but it's still so much fun, and everything else is so much fun that we can overlook it."

And that's not surprising, because this is Mario Kart — pretty much the most universally loved franchise in existence. The high scores are well-deserved.

Whompa02

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if MK 8 had a better single player, although I own it on the Wii U and played it a lot and I don't like multiplayer games. However, it's still a multiplayer game and if that aspect is deemed to be great, so is the game. Occam's razor says that's more likely than it all being a conspiracy to praise Nintendo games when they're not worth it or whatever.

Battlefront was heavily criticized because the game was bare bones as fuck even for a multiplayer game and previous games in the franchise had SP and just all around more stuff. Same with Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat was praised for adding a robust single player, not the other way around.

Glad you're sensible!

I think it was interesting that the fallout to MK having a great single player was Capcom's SFV ( another pretty bare bones experience) responding by adding a (albeit half baked) single player experience. I don't think Mario Kart needs that, but I do find it funny, that despite someone thinking the SP was bare bones, that it didn't effect the game's review. Guarantee another IP with the same layout would have been docked for that. Like DooM was for the multiplayer being bare bones and people shitting on that.

Probably best to have a debate on this stuff outside the review thread tho for MK8 deluxe tbh. Would be a decent thread/debate.

I think it would be a really interesting piece of research to look at videogame journalism, and the inherent biases and how they differ geographically.

When I look at video game journalism in the United States, it is heavily biased towards Nintendo, but I don't think its just blind bias. I think reviewers grew up with the kinds of games Nintendo produces (and are good at producing) and review accordingly.

Somewhere like the UK though, we've traditionally been more biased towards Sony, and narrative driven games. And I think that's because the biggest growth in video games in the UK came later, when PS1 was out. A game like Zelda for example does little for me because its so gameplay heavy, and I want my games to be an immersive narrative experience. Some of you probably did a little inside sick when I said that, but equally when I see people saying "games are games, gameplay > story I think 'that's crazy'.

Obviously its not as simple as US likes Nintendo, UK likes Sony (metro.co.uk being a perfect example), but I'd love to see in depth analysis that takes in to account market/economic growth, scores..

In fact maybe I should write this piece. Does it sound interesting to anyone else?

THANK YOU...I personally find this topic extremely interesting. Some people are more knee jerky reactionary without actually understanding the context of the OG comment.

I understand this can now be played portable but really how many hours can one play the same MK lol? I've already spent many hours playing the game and thus got the enjoyment in the last couple of Wii U years.

I can see myself easily getting another 200 hours out of it on Switch.

A lot of that due to being able to play multiplayer on the go.

mazillion

Having the ability to do 4 player tabletop is great but damn... essentially playing on a 1.55" (6.2/4) screen is going to be rough.
6.2 is the diagonal right? So each quadrant gets a 3.1" screen play on. Still rough but 1.5 inch would be hilariously small.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
lol

How about a decent roster?
How about more racing tracks?
How about some rebalancing of items?
How about mission mode?
How about online tournaments?
How about not charging full price for a remaster?

Eh the first it completely your opinion so doesn't say much. The rest are reasonable, though I thought they had tweaked some of the core gameplay which involved some items/glitches unless I'm wrong.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I've not played 8, but is this a good SP game? I do have a close friend who owns a switch whom I'll be able to play with, but that will be rare given our lifestyles. Also, anyone recommend a review to watch which discusses online?

Cheers guys.

Single player is very lacking. On Wii U there were various unlockables that could keep you playing the cups to earn them(including Miiverse stamps which are probably gone now and replaced with...?). So unless plenty of new car parts were added in their stead, it will have even less incentive to play against the AI, which in itself was never really thrilling.

Always wished for more track variance among the laps, and even among the difficulty classes. Shifting obstacles, time transitions, anything. That doesn't exist in MK8(or most any MK sadly) so taking on AI drones that are borderline infuriating on the higher difficulties is all you have to look forward to which demands an element of luck. Game is still fun to play in bursts, but do not expect a solo experience to last beyond the initial weekend. This is designed around online play.

Raw64life

I'm double dipping on this but only because I never touched any of the DLC on the Wii U version. All the Wii U DLC included plus an actual battle mode makes it enough of a new game for me.

Might want to go over that statement about 1.55" again :p

2.85 x 1.6 inches, 3.1 diagonal

just for the sake of the thread

all I want is nintendo to add an adventure mode a la DKR. why can't they put that in after all these years? i've guessing it's a business decision. " we keep getting good reviews and selling millions, so no reason to add more (taxing) content then keeping with just simple race tracks/chars/items forumla

Top Bottom