• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Wild SteamBoy Appeared. Smach Zero. From $699...

MRORANGE

Speculation on SMACH ZERO, some 'researching' that I did.

A few things confuse me about this project.

- They are keeping it really low, I mean no footage of the games running, no hand=on previews and such so forth, it's oddly silent, you would expect a start-up to be on the full hype bandwagon like OUYA was. They are playing their cards very close to their hearts.

V5ELLhy.png

- SOC Chip, from my understanding this whole chip range is designed for embedded devices in industry, but we have no idea which board it is using. This is really vital to know as there is quite a range of options.
Looking at the models the TDP plays an important role in power effeiceny and performance, it;s unlikely to be a quad core device due to power usage, unless they have a secret deal with AMD on a unknown board:

0djzQOY.png

Even in bulk sale these boards could easily cost upwards of $100 a piece to a manufacturer

EDIT:

Okay the SOC is going to be at 1.0-1.2GHz dual core with GPU frequency of max at 333mhz (more around 250mhz), DDR3 is clocked either at 1066/1333/1600 - honestly most likely 1333 or lower.

That's the only feasible result from that table without it catching on fire or only lasting 5 minutes of play.

Shit... this is gonna flop.

I also did a size comparison based on screen size comparison and proto-build of the device., this is gonna be big:

sxkeDUZ.jpg

Compared to PS Vita:

ljmVlF7.jpg

PS: the device isn't flat btw, it has hand grips on the back so I doubt you can fit this in your pocket:

7RSdhvn.png

Speculation on SMACH ZERO, some 'researching' that I did.

A few things confuse me about this project.

- They are keeping it really low, I mean no footage of the games running, no hand=on previews and such so forth, it's oddly silent, you would expect a start-up to be on the full hype bandwagon like OUYA was. They are playing their cards very close to their hearts.

V5ELLhy.png

- SOC Chip, from my understanding this whole chip range is designed for embedded devices in industry, but we have no idea which board it is using. This is really vital to know as there is quite a range of options.
Looking at the models the TDP plays an important role in power effeiceny and performance, it;s unlikely to be a quad core device due to power usage, unless they have a secret deal with AMD on a unknown board:

0djzQOY.png

Even in bulk sale these boards could easily cost upwards of $100 a piece to a manufacturer

I also did a size comparison based on screen size comparison and proto-build of the device., this is gonna be big:

sxkeDUZ.jpg

Compared to PS Vita:

ljmVlF7.jpg

PS: the device isn't flat btw, it has hand grips on the back so I doubt you can fit this in your pocket:

7RSdhvn.png

If the thing was running a Baytrail SoC or even better, a Cherrytrail, it would make sense. But that AMD SoC... unless they had a really good deal, sounds unlikely. I still think that a handheld based on a Atom x5 SoC would do great performance wise.

MRORANGE

Okay the SOC is going to be at 1.0-1.2GHz dual core with GPU frequency of max at 333mhz (more around 250mhz), DDR3 is clocked either at 1066/1333/1600 - honestly most likely 1333 or lower.

That's the only feasible result from that table without it catching on fire or only lasting 5 minutes of play.

Shit... this is gonna flop.

obviously not all of them, I think its mostly geared towards the low end spec required indie titles

To be fair there are not many prebuilt pc's at a marketable price that can play all of the games out there.

Though I bet you can run alot at 720p and medium settings.

Don't really care about the performance of the soc personally.
But yeah they fucked up by going with AMD
Cherrytrail can actually run games at > xbox 360 settings so it wouldn't be too shabby for a handheld.

There is still no 'lagless' (<10 ms) streaming device for the pc like a wii U pad

the shield has way more latency than that and is ofc android rubbish that you can only use with shadowplay aka proprietary crap.

I'll never understand why noone sees the gap in the market for one of these. Everyone I talk to that plays games wants a wii u pad for their computer. If nintendo could do it years ago then so can anyone else.

Saro

If the thing was running a Baytrail SoC or even better, a Cherrytrail, it would make sense. But that AMD SoC... unless they had a really good deal, sounds unlikely. I still think that a handheld based on a Atom x5 SoC would do great performance wise.

Wouldn't core M be a good fit for something this size or is that still too big (and hot) for handheld form factor?

To be fair there are not many prebuilt pc's at a marketable price that can play all of the games out there.

Though I bet you can run alot at 720p and medium settings.

I doubt it. A Beema APU (a8 6410) has a lot of trouble trying to run games with its iGPU. And that's a way more powerfull APU than the one this thing is using.

bomblord1

Banned
I doubt it. A Beema APU (a8 6410) has a lot of trouble trying to run games with its iGPU. And that's a way more powerfull APU than the one this thing is using.

What games are we talking about? My old A-10 6000 will run just about anything that isn't a 2015 AAA game at low 720p.

Veal

If nintendo could do it years ago then so can anyone else.
Not really fair to the work Nintendo did to make their particular set up work the way it does. It would probably take much more to get something as good as the Wii u set up to work on pc, much less work well and be well supported.

its in a laptop

You don't get it..... I'm talking about architectures. You processor is "top of the line" when it comes to AMD processors, thus the A10. Mine, however, is an A8, but there is a catch, it's not actually using the Kaberi architecture, instead, it uses a NETBOOK designed architecture, an evolution of Jaguar, Beema. That's why I said "misslabeled".

And I said "NETBOOK"

Gintoki

First newsletter

Welcome to the first SMACH Z Newsletter. Yes, first of all we have to announce the simplification of the console name: SMACH Z is the new name for SMACH Zero. We believe it's a better and definitive name for the console.

We have also to apologize for the lack of news, and the delay on the pre-order release day. Thre reason is that we've been working on some changes to the original design, based on your feedback, such as: 1080p instead of 720p, 64GB instead of 32GB and some more surprises!

It will be all revealed very soon, in a big crowdfunding campaign where you will be able to pre-order SMACH Z for 299 euros, as promised. In the meantime, you can support us by sign in this Thunderclap campaign that we have just launched: http://thndr.me/eIuYGB

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments about SMACH Z, it's really awesome. We have selected some of your questions on a Q&A to clarify the most common doubts:

How do i know that my steam games will work on those?

First they have to be compatible with Steam OS. That’s mean compatible with Linux. Then you have to check the game’s minimum requirements. SMACH Z is a 4-core 1.2Ghz, with 4Gb RAM.

Can you play Dota2 and TF2?

Yes! Take a look to the current games supported by Steam OS here:

https://steamdb.info/linux

Can the Steam OS be used as a client for Steam In-Home Streaming from a Windows host?

Yes, it can stream from either Windows OS or Steam OS using Steam service.

Is there anything stopping you from installing Windows on here? Can I install Windows and dual-boot with this?

It’s technically possible. We will not give support for this, but it is your machine and you’re free to do whatever you want with it.

Will the specs allow to run WWE 2k15, GTA V and PES 2016? And will it be possible to run Windows, since those games aren't available for SteamOS?

If you install Windows on your SMACH Z, the specs should be enough to play them. Another option is playing them via “In-Home Streaming”. Or even nicer, if we are enough smachers we can pressure to get proper SteamOS version of those games.

Is it possible to use the SMACH Z as a Steam Controller for a desktop PC, or if that's only possible through Steam Link streaming.

redlemon

1080p seems excessive for a 5 inch device designed solely to play games. As much as I'd love an x86 handheld I can't see myself getting this.

Hellgardia

How do i know that my steam games will work on those?

First they have to be compatible with Steam OS. That&#8217;s mean compatible with Linux. Then you have to check the game&#8217;s minimum requirements. SMACH Z is a 4-core 1.2Ghz, with 4Gb RAM.

Will the specs allow to run WWE 2k15, GTA V and PES 2016? And will it be possible to run Windows, since those games aren't available for SteamOS?

If you install Windows on your SMACH Z, the specs should be enough to play them. Another option is playing them via &#8220;In-Home Streaming&#8221;. Or even nicer, if we are enough smachers we can pressure to get proper SteamOS version of those games.

4-core 1.2ghz is a bit... vague.

That being said, apparently it should be able to run GTA V?...

So grabbing GTA V's minimum requirements:
Minimum specifications:
OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB
DVD Drive

Somehow, i am not seeing their SoC being able to run this natively...

Lies! Of course it'll fit in your pockets. As long as you have a pair of these!

81p56HuX0tL._UY879_.jpg

BTW, this is utter vaporware until they show an actual unit running some real games. Might be ok as an in-home-streaming unit, but a laptop does that bigger and better.

Really, I rather believe this is a fake that will never comes out.

You cant possibily design a product this flawed.

1080p on that machine is a joke. There's no way the GPU can run games at native res with that.

Not only that, its going to draw more power, eat more battery life and put the price higher.

The controls is a terrible idea. Why would you have a Steam controller when you have a touchscreen ? If it was an Xinput controller with XBox 360 control scheme, this would be easier for games.

The OS choice is fine even though I think having a windows option is better for game choice.

In any case, if this is real, theyre going to bleed a lot of money because of so many flaws that will make this product a niche within a niche within a niche...

Gintoki

They're collaborating with AMD

Hi Smachers!

Thanks to your support on Thunder Clap we have already reached our goal! Please don't stop to share the link with your friends, all the help count to get as many supporters as possible for the crowdfunding campaign launch date: http://thndr.me/eIuYGB

Today, we are running a super-short Survey about what model os SMACH Z do you prefer, it's anoymous and it has only one question, check it here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13-2bjPz0mijP6om-LF377tj53PDjuhaYS55dmUtIqEA/viewform

Also, we would like to give some more information about some of the design decision that we have taken on SMACH Z and that many of you're asking for on Facebook and forums. We start with the processor question, and we will adress more design aspects in future Newsletters.

Why AMD?

We have collaborated closely with AMD to select the best existing chip that brings an unique and powerful portable gaming experience. SMACH Z will feature the latest generation AMD technology on portable SoC (System-on-Chip) chips: the G-Series.

Right now is the only technology that covers all the needs for a device like this, their SoC technology allows low consume x86 architecture with powerful GPU, something that any other processor can offer right now.

The AMD Embedded G-Series APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) combines a low-power, allowing to revolutionize the experience and deliver a small and lighter device without compromising performance or features. The AMD Embedded G-Series SoC takes combination of CPU and advanced GPU onto a single chip one step further, adding the I/O controller onto the same chip as the APU, making it the ideal fit for applications requiring ultra-low power and small form factor processors.

Thank you,

SMACH Team

Pic from the survey

ceFiTuq.png

I like the idea even though I've found myself moving away from portable gaming for the past couple years. Not having to wait months/years for potential ports to the Vita for *games like the Banner Saga or Axiom Verge is a nice selling point provided the hardware is built well.

*If the Linux ports have a quick turnaround.

PantsuJo

ceFiTuq.png

My question is: Can Windows support this hardware? I played on Linux with a low level AMD system for months and no, thanks, just no: I don't want to try again.

Id want it if it is compatible with the games i want to play on it. I really dont like the Valve Trackpads though. And the dpad looks bad. Idk, we will see but ill stay optimistic until i get a list of compatible games.

Come on... why do they keep sticking with the Steam controller input ?? :/
This thing is dead for the reason that they want it to be a SteamOS handheld.

Handheld are becoming a niche. PC gaming handheld is a niche between that. Linux is a niche between that. Steam controller is even more niche.
Its a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche :/

And that design will kill it. Screen is too high res and the controls are bad. This needs a dpad and two sticks.

I hope this thing evolves and doesnt die, as the PS Vita heads to die, I would love a semi-portable that lets me play indies, basic Steam games and Home Streaming. But who am I kidding, this thing is dead on arrival :(.

MUnited83

For you.

Crayon

Come on... why do they keep sticking with the Steam controller input ?? :/
This thing is dead for the reason that they want it to be a SteamOS handheld.

Handheld are becoming a niche. PC gaming handheld is a niche between that. Linux is a niche between that. Steam controller is even more niche.
Its a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche :/

And that design will kill it. Screen is too high res and the controls are bad. This needs a dpad and two sticks.

Because the steam controller lets you play any game. what would you suggest? a usb kb/m plugged in? This is a good kind of application to employ the steam controller.

Maximo

I really hope chinese Windows 10 tablets take off in the following years. There has been a lot of good Android handhelds in recent years, hopefully they move up to Windows handhelds eventually.

Its what I have wanted Handhelds to be for a long time, just needed the technology to catch up.

MUnited83

For you.
A windows 10 version of the recent GPD XD would be amazing.
Yes it would. I love the design and it seems like a great handheld all around. I'm honestly torn into waiting for this or just buy the GPD XD. I mean, I really really want this to be good because of all the advantages of Windows+Steam, but I don't have much faith on this because of they've handled it so far. Tough choice :/
Its what I have wanted Handhelds to be for a long time, just needed the technology to catch up.

Let's hope so!

Because the steam controller lets you play any game. what would you suggest? a usb kb/m plugged in? This is a good kind of application to employ the steam controller.

An Xinput controller. Which has a far better compatibility than Steam controller I think.

this is obviously vaporware

i mean, look at those renders. they look so much like "i mocked this up as a fantasy device that would be so awesome"

plus the fact they claim their device can play GTA V shows how unlikely it is this thing exists. like, it's either they're lying through their teeth to get money through that crowdfunding campaign or they're so caught up in "we can make this and it'll be awesome!!!" they don't stop to ask themselves if what they're making can actually do the things they want it to.

Top Bottom