• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Minecraft Better Together Update is a Mess.

The ๖ۜBronx;252314369 said:
People having to rewire their redstone and the console UI being removed completely alone make it seem like a mess.
PE's redstone and console redstone behaved differently, IIRC. One of them had to give to the other.

Noobcraft

I don't like the new UI, but I had no problems transferring my world (which I started on the 360 years ago). I think the in-game store is cool though, because you can buy community created content.

PE's redstone and console redstone behaved differently, IIRC. One of them had to give to the other.
Which would be cool but it seems they weren't really that out and out about it. The redstone was an addition. To me, removing the UI made for consoles (specifically made differently for them mind) and just dumping the PC one in is a mess.

Aselith

Sucks that the interface isn’t great on consoles but they had to unify the platform based on something and the pocket version is the most popular one so it makes sense.

Hopefully they improve the interface. From now one it should be smoother.

Why did they "have to"?

Wereroku

So the better together update is basically them porting the Pocket Edition to consoles and PC? Makes since that old style worlds would not function correctly but it is odd that they scrapped the entire console UI instead of integrating the familiar version into PE.

Lol @ people celebrating in here, people can still play the old version it's not getting replaced by this update

No but they are getting abandoned. I doubt any new features or patches will be made for those versions. PS4 is only going to be getting support because it doesn't have the PE.

sangreal

People having to rewire their redstone and the console UI being removed completely alone make it seem like a mess.

Eh, games change their UI all the time. The console UI itself was a large departure from PC minecraft

The actual article title "Minecraft's Better Together Update is a mess on console" makes more sense though

Shock32

Vr8HOsP.jpg

What in the hell do you use these for?

Saty

Out of curiousity, will the "old" version(s) of the game stop being updated now that this new one is out? I hsven't been following the story on it too much.

Correct. The current console versions will stop receiving updates.

Eh, games change their UI all the time. The console UI itself was a large departure from PC minecraft

The actual article title "Minecraft's Better Together Update is a mess on console" makes more sense though

I’d agree. I was even going buy a realm for my son and his friends, but he can’t get them to leave the Xbox one edition as they say it doesn’t run well. I was very unhappy with the performance and the UI especially. You can call it whatever you’d like, but it’s a mess imo.

The ๖ۜBronx;252314837 said:
Which would be cool but it seems they weren't really that out and out about it. The redstone was an addition. To me, removing the UI made for consoles (specifically made differently for them mind) and just dumping the PC one in is a mess.
This is fair... And strange. PE has had controller support since June 2016, I believe. You'd think they'd have a more accommodating UI for it by now.

Actually, is the UI serviceable, and just not what console players have been used to for years? Or is it functionally worse? I'm not terribly familiar with the legacy console versions.

Dunkley

Eh, you can always stay with the old version if that's the issue. I do think infinite worlds and cross-save/cross-play outweigh these cons.

Some updates to the Java versions did break more stuff than the transition to Bedrock did here. The biggest issue is the UI, and here's hoping that can be fixed in an update.

This is fair... And strange. PE has had controller support since June 2016, I believe. You'd think they'd have a more accommodating UI for it by now.

Actually, is the UI serviceable, and just not what console players have been used to for years? Or is it functionally worse? I'm not terribly familiar with the legacy console versions.

It is serviceable but the old one was better, assuming the Windows 10 version's controller UI is the same as the one on consoles.

It was a large departure.. because it was made for consoles. They redid the UI to better suit consoles, presumably that's because they realised the original wasn't that easy to use in that space. Games certainly don't change the UI to the extent of removing the one made for console and putting the PC one in often, not by a long shot.

Agreed on the title though.

EDarkness

I'm looking forward to this update on the NS and I imagine it's going to take some time for them to work out all of the kinks. The idea is sound, though. However, I DO want them to give us pointer control in the NS version if they're going to keep the PC interface. Touch control if you're handheld and pointer controls if you're docked. As long as they do that, I'll be fine with the interface changes.

AudioEppa

Laying in bed not feeling well. I’m trying not to laugh, but I’m loving this thread so far.

People have been trying to throw L’s at Sony for months over this shit. Well they just took all them L’s and melted them together into one big L...

They strapped that sum bitch to the train. And speeding through all their candy asses this holiday!

IF YOU SMELLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What The Kaz....

Is Protecting.. lol

Just can't stand anything associated with mobile games. Making people use touchscreen based menus is an insult to gamers.
If I'm understanding the article, the menus aren't touchscreen based. They're mouse/keyboard based. Not that that's better, but hey, maybe you won't find that an "insult to gamers".

GulAtiCa

Ok, bad Sony jokes aside...

There are certainly some issues for sure (UI, bugs, though should note that each console individual edition isn't immune to this. There was a recent PS4 bug that wiped out all shulker box contents.....). But so far my experience has been mainly positive.

Being able to switch at will between playing on the Xbox One to iPad to mobile to Windows 10 while still all being the exact same account has been much needed. Means I can continue playing if my fiancee wants to watch TV. Has really re-energized my love for the game. For the 1st time I am playing with others on a server regardless of device.

sangreal

In the original game there wasn't, but Microsoft decided they could make money charging for simple things like skins and texture packs. Super shitty.

That started long before MS bought Mojang, on the Xbox 360

The converted it to a coin system to support cross-buy for the DLC

BigEmil

Article is worth reading instead of just reading OP imo

(Like most of you are doing)

Goes more in depth and explains more stuff

watership

A mess is a huge stretch, and most of these will be fixed in a patch. Mojang is pretty responsive to community concerns. Some of these issues are just victims of a move to a homogeneous cross platform design. The importing bugs suck for those who have existing worlds they want to play on the on the new crossplay version.

ASaiyan

Banned
Huh. Suddenly glad the Switch update is indefinitely delayed, lol. Not be able to tell your current depth on a map is particularly ridiculous.

I upgraded to Windows 10 so I could play on the new GAF realm and it's been such a letdown for me so far.

I'm eagerly waiting for the update that makes the newly branded "Minecraft" feature complete with regard to "Minecraft: Java Edition". I wish they would have been upfront about how big a step back it was. I think it's even missing the huge combat overhaul that Java Edition has.

Hopefully since this version is supposed to be the main one going forward, they will get their shit together and make it right.

Yeah I played it a bit and the new UI is a mess on Xbox one. When it splitscreen for example the quick inventory is tiny and barely readable which wasn't an issue in the old version.

Been playing it on PC with Gaffers on our realm and been having a blast. I think the only bug I ran into was doors breaking for a bit. Kind of a sensationalist headline. The items shop isn't very intrusive either especially on PC where you can still use custom skins.

Ditto. Though I would love to have coordinates back.

Floody

Yeah, was surprised to see my youngest brother playing the normal Xbox One version the other day, instead of the newer one he was excited for. I asked him why and his response was pretty much it doesn't work well.

Doesn't seem like it's a unfixable mess or anything though, just shortsightedness on Mojang's part.

RRockman

Banned
Oh boy, Microsoft makes Sony look good again. Why couldn't they get their act together for this one important update?

Fuchsdh

Ditto. Though I would love to have coordinates back.

Hopefully some of this stuff is going to eventually return. The coords missing does make building a bit more of a pain.

Not sure about the redstone; it's annoying it works differently, but it's not innately better or worse.

Really all I'd like to see on my end are the bugs squashed.

Ploid 3.0

No. Java will always be there. Windows 10 Edition is dead and will be replaced with this thing.

Java will always be the superior version of the game with all the mods that you won't have to pay for.

Yep well, I guess my nephew knows what he's doing. He always tell me I don't understand when I tell him not to do things, like talk to his team online and stuff. The Better Together PC version looks weak if they get no mods, and if mods don't carry over.

I bet the console version using the mobile UI is temporary. That's gotta be the case.

Top Bottom