• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Marow

I finished the campaign today! It was fun, but for some reason I cannot help but feel something was off compared to the first game? I can't really put my finger on it. The brighter and longer levels? The constant weapon switching? The lacklustre finale? I... I'm not sure, but it just /feels/ off. I'd almost want to say another team did the campaign this time around, but I have no clue about that.

How does everyone else feel about it?

Edit. I guess it could be it not being "as fresh" as the first time, but I replayed the first game's campaign many times...

McArkus

I finished the campaign today! It was fun, but for some reason I cannot help but feel something was off compared to the first game? I can't really put my finger on it. The brighter and longer levels? The constant weapon switching? The lacklustre finale? I... I'm not sure, but it just /feels/ off. I'd almost want to say another team did the campaign this time around, but I have no clue about that.

Edit. I guess it could be it not being "as fresh" as the first time, but I replayed the first game's campaign many times...

As a new player, I loved the SP, felt very fresh and testing the weapons gave variety to the campaign, also the music was really good, specially at the final boss. Maybe the problem lies there, watching videos of splatoon 1 final boss you start the stage with increasing difficulty and obstacles, all that hand to hand with the music that gets more upbeat up till the end. Here in splatoon 2 it already starts on a high note but the difficulty doesn't change that much during each phase and all the battle is contained in the same stage, also it gets easier at the final phase. Even with all that, love the music in each phase and the little cut-scenes in it.

A part of me thinks it was done the way it was done cause there are a bunch of hero weapons to unlock and they want it to be fairly easy to go through.

Like in Splat 1 the first boss i found quite challenging. I couldnt imagine doing that with some of the different weapons. I think thats why the boss in 2 is 'simpler' to accommodate the different weapons and playstyles.

But for the record i did like the single player in 2. Other than a couple levels, i found it much easier is all.

Pikma

Banned
I was in a 3 squid team on salmon run and we were doing great but high tide on the last wave fucked us 15 secs before it ended :(

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm surprised I haven't lost my Profreshional rank today while playing with randoms.

Dynamo isn't too bad, but you have to actually roll with it instead of abusing the swing
The swing take almost 1/4 of your ink reservoir...

Jintor

I'm surprised I haven't lost my Profreshional rank today while playing with randoms.

The swing take almost 1/4 of your ink reservoir...

yeah, so focus more on its ability to just mow down enemies as you hold down the roll instead of bothering to swing. even hocks die after one bounce and you can chase down steel eels too.

the actual irritating thing is that the fucking lifering actually blocks my view of the amount of ink i have left

XvSP

Neo Member
Whoever is in charge of the weapon loadouts for Salmon Run and thought it was a good idea to pack in a charger and the dynamo roller needs to be sacked :D

90% of the time it will result in this
21b.gif

Grexeno

There is no one in charge of loadouts, which is the problem. It's all random, which means it's also randomly too difficult.

Jintor

chargers are so gimped in salmon run though i have to say.

even against the foe they should be best at, countersniping towers, they're fucking shit because you always need multiple shots to take them down. brellas are invincible except when they fire, flyfish are assholes generally, steel eels are 80% invincible when they're coming at your face.

a rapid fire traversal weapon is almost always the best option

even against the foe they should be best at, countersniping towers, they're fucking shit because you always need multiple shots to take them down. brellas are invincible except when they fire, flyfish are assholes generally, steel eels are 80% invincible when they're coming at your face.

Other than Stingers, I think Chargers do fine against those bosses. A lot of it is just salmon run shenanigans.

Edit: Nighty says it much better than I do lol.

Nightii

Banned

Chargers are not supposed to take on Stingers, they are supposed to take care of Steelheads.

Drizzlers are also vulnerable when they jump, at which point a Charger can finish them with good aim, not to mention a well positioned charger has a better chance to reflect the rain bomb back to it for an instant KO.

Chargers are not supposed to do the stuff a gun can do, they have stay back and clean up the bosses they can handle and also clean up the lesser salmonid hordes by killing the Cohocks so that your teammates can have an easier time plowing through them.

They can also kill Steel Eels if they have set up on a good perch away from them, usually when the Eels is targeting a teammate. And of course a Charger is mega useful in Mothership waves.

Doorman

okay fair

i still think it's bullshit they have no good shot against stingers though. fuck stingers.

Eh, that's what the rapid-fire shooters are for and there's pretty much guaranteed always 2 of those in some form in each work shift.

Salmon Run weapon sets aren't completely random, it's more akin to the way they try and balance things when presented with a solo ranked lobby: weapons are divided into various classes, usually by range and/or attack power and weapon type, and the game fills in to get a good mix of those classes. There's always at least one long-range weapon (anything from the .96 gal up to an E-liter), and those typically have a specific role when it comes to what they should and shouldn't be tackling.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Whoever is in charge of the weapon loadouts for Salmon Run and thought it was a good idea to pack in a charger and the dynamo roller needs to be sacked :D

90% of the time it will result in this
21b.gif

It's a miracle I've completed 3 runs with randoms with this setup. One of the runs I was barely able to alive to deliver the last egg and thankfully time run out before I was about to die since the rest of my team was dead. I'm still not sure how anyone was able to revive me in the chaos.

random25

I didn't realize we're in community now until I searched through subscription.

As weird as the weapon set was, I win more than lose. It's funny cause every time I have the Dynamo roller I feel so useless lol.

phanphare

Banned
just got 26 splats in rainmaker, we had a really nice push going, primed to take the lead, I had cleared the way for whoever was carrying the rainmaker, we were like 7 points behind, and the person with the rainmaker just sits back and spams the blast.

motherfucker.....LOOK AT THE UI! SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE DOWN ON THE OTHER TEAM! I'M SPAMMING THIS WAY! THAT MEANS THIS WAY! LET'S FUCKING GO!

/salt

Nelo Ice

Banned
Fucking hell. Was so close to beating a team with a tri slosher and octobrush while we had none. We would have won with a time out but nope we got possession and my teammate proceeded to jump off stage. They got the rainmaker and of course got the distance to win in OT.

I like how this guy kills all these grillers but never revives his friend or puts any eggs in the basket so they still lose.

And by like I mean I'd utterly hate this guy if he was ever on my team.

It's as if he was playing in a local match just to show off the trick.

I like how this guy kills all these grillers but never revives his friend or puts any eggs in the basket so they still lose.

And by like I mean I'd utterly hate this guy if he was ever on my team.
I think he was just demonstrating what dynamo could do. You'll note that they weren't playing with a full team, so they probably started a local SR.

Rahk

okay fair

i still think it's bullshit they have no good shot against stingers though. fuck stingers.
You don't need to fully charge to attack stingers. If you get close enough you can just tap shoot rapidly to kill them somewhat quickly. Not as fast as a rapid-fire weapon, but not completely useless against it.

I feel the same. Levels are a bit too long.

I'd like to see them shake up the structure of the sp a bit in the next game.

Regiruler

Is this about the Splatling by any chance?

If he's complaining about the charger levels he needs to be banned, the charger specific levels are great.

The campaign was way better. I have no idea how you can play levels like Octogalaxy and think it was worse than the first campaign.
I feel the same. Levels are a bit too long.

I'd like to see them shake up the structure of the sp a bit in the next game.

The levels were long, but not so long that it brought the game down (at least in terms of the first run through).

I wish there was a hard mode for the bosses. They're a lot better.

random25

Each level can be finished in 5 minutes tops. It only looks long if you are searching for secrets. But getting to checkpoints those are pretty short imo.

D.Lo

Lacklustre, unfulfilling finale was the issue with the single player. It needed a couple more story twists than Callie simply being there in the final battle. Should have had to fight her separately a couple of times like one of the Octoling stages. Callie and Marie deserved better (and still do, I hope story mode endgame becomes cannon after a while and they can return to the square)

Gameplay wise it was great, all sorts of nonsense and super fun to play with certain weapons.

Jintor

gawd damn nearly had a 3 man save at the last second on salmon run 13/14 eggs and i get sniped of the air during splashdown by the goddamn rainstorm + stinger arrrrghhh

Regiruler

Lacklustre, unfulfilling finale was the issue with the single player. It needed a couple more story twists than Callie simply being there in the final battle. Should have had to fight her separately a couple of times like one of the Octoling stages. Callie and Marie deserved better (and still do, I hope story mode endgame becomes cannon after a while and they can return to the square)

Gameplay wise it was great, all sorts of nonsense and super fun to play with certain weapons.
Yeah. The only interesting part of the finale was the fun part with the rainmaker (which should have been a bit longer). The actual ending is not as good relative to the game as the first was.

Jims

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the Dynamo Roller in Salmon Run. I have kinda given up on playing the weapon and just become the egg go-fer for the round.

Sorbete

Absolutely terrible session on Turf War today. Started in 11.5 Fresh. Now I'm down to 4.0 Dry. Awful.

17 turf war losses and counting. Ugghh.

Turf Wars has become freaking Toxic. I loved it now I despise it.

Just realized this got moved to Community lol.

Took me a while to find the thread

Re spawn punisher or Ink recover for main skill in shirt? I'm currently using the tri slosher, was using the Aerospray MG before. And I'm probably gonna change weapons in the future.

So which skill is overall better?

Blaster series weapons are definitely my calling card. The kits are seemingly unagreeable, but that just means I have to work harder and I'm starting to appreciate that. It's kind of strange because in Splatoon 1 I absolutely hated blasters. I thought "why would anyone use a weapon this slow and ink inefficient"? But I decided in this game to give them a fair shot once I unlock them all and at first I felt they were still bad, but with more uses I started to gravitate towards them more and more. And now, they're usually the weapons I'm most comfortable with for any type of battle! The Luna is hands down my favorite one to use because it's kit is literally "balls to the walls" (lol) and it feels good to get in the enemy's face and rush them down!

D.Lo

Yeah. The only interesting part of the finale was the fun part with the rainmaker (which should have been a bit longer). The actual ending is not as good relative to the game as the first was.
Yah Rainmaker was cool, making it a 'big' weapon and tying in another part of the game.

A few tweaks and it could have been improved lot though. Like I said, an earlier full reveal and a few 1v1 battles with Callie (with cutscenes) would have done wonders.

Top Bottom