• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Rubin (Android co-founder) launches "modular" Essential phone (no 3.5mm jack)

giga

https://www.essential.com

Why:

So why did I create Essential? Well, my hardware engineers wanted me to talk about how we are bringing real passion and craftsmanship back into this category. My software engineers wanted me to talk about our vision for making all devices, even those we don't make ourselves, play well together. My partners wanted me to talk about how we are using methods that could change how successful technology companies are built forever.

And this is all true.

But the real reason is because of what happened during a night out with an old friend of mine. As the night went on we inevitably began talking about what we didn't like about the current state of technology. Less and less choice. More and more unnecessary features cluttering our lives. An increasing sea of products that didn't work with one another...

And just when I was about to drop another criticism it hit me: I am partly responsible for all of this.

For all the good Android has done to help bring technology to nearly everyone it has also helped create this weird new world where people are forced to fight with the very technology that was supposed to simplify their lives. Was this what we had intended? Was this the best we could do?

I left that night reflecting deeply on what was great and what was frustrating with the current state of technology today. After another long talk with my friend we decided that I needed to start a new kind of company using 21st century methods to build products for the way people want to live in the 21st century.

Mantra:

The result is Essential, and this is what we believe:

- Devices are your personal property. We won't force you to have anything on them you don't want to have.
- We will always play well with others. Closed ecosystems are divisive and outdated.
- Premium materials and true craftsmanship shouldn't be just for the few.
- Devices shouldn't become outdated every year. They should evolve with you.
- Technology should assist you so that you can get on with enjoying your life.
- Simple is always better.

Specs: https://www.essential.com/#specifications

ph_1_color_black_moon_copy_1000x1000.png

JKLwgqS.png

2017_05_30_at_12.45_AM.png

For all the good Android has done to help bring technology to nearly everyone it has also helped create this weird new world where people are forced to fight with the very technology that was supposed to simplify their lives. Was this what we had intended? Was this the best we could do?

Mobile phones are not overly complex for the vast majority of people. Unless you're the wrong side of 60 it's difficult to see how they can possibly get any simpler.

Also not sure how we have "less and less choice" when there's countless phones on the market in all sorts of price ranges.

border

Good luck. I can't think of a worse place to be in than a newcomer in the already overcrowded thin-margin Android space.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mobile phones are not overly complex for the vast majority of people. Unless you're the wrong side of 60 it's difficult to see how they can possibly get any simpler.

Also not sure how we have "less and less choice" when there's countless phones on the market in all sorts of price ranges.

Exactly this. None of the explanation makes much sense. I have plenty of choice and I don't "fight" with the technology. I have had little to no issues with my Note Edge, Note 7 or S7 Edge.

Every single piece of technology will have its quirks and issues, whether its a name brand Android phone, an iPhone or even this new phone. There is nothing about this project that explains to me why I should buy it.

And no headphone jack is of course a deal breaker.

Busty

Banned
I read the "why" and I still don't know why.

This.

But the real reason is because of what happened during a night out with an old friend of mine.

So he got drunk, which probably made this sound amazing, and then had to deal with a questionable business venture when he sobered up in the cold light of day.

Need more details. The lack of 3.5mm is worrisome. The pitch sounds nice and all but the proof in the pudding will only hold if the phone keeps on holding up over the years. Right now the lack of details on how that will happen is what is confusing

Vuze

"- Premium materials and true craftsmanship shouldn’t be just for the few."
749$ lol

Also what does this ship with (site is not
Loading for me)? Android? How will he address all the problems he mentioned?

That's a lot of words but in the end sort of meaningless...

Nev

Banned
Well, 3.5mm jack is Essential to me, so he can keep this wannabe iPhone flop.

700$ too lol no thanks.

Kinan

Well, I like the look. Will wait for reviews though, besides, it is not yet being sold in Europe anyway.

spwolf

introducing new $750 phone is going to be tough sell with no agreements from carriers to subsidize it.. only company that kind of did it without carriers is OnePlus and they are doing it for $400-$480 now.

Jzero

$749

Good luck with that

"- Premium materials and true craftsmanship shouldn't be just for the few."
749$ lol

Also what does this ship with (site is not
Loading for me)? Android? How will he address all the problems he mentioned?

That's a lot of words but in the end sort of meaningless...

Well, 3.5mm jack is Essential to me, so he can keep this wannabe iPhone flop.

700$ too lol no thanks.

The price isn't even that bad if you take into account that it has 128GB of storage.

pswii60

Mr.Shrugglesツ;238532808 said:
So it has four ways to plug shit in simultaneously and people are crying about no 3.5mm?

Bring on magnetic headphones!

I'm not crying about it. I already have a S8 which has a 3.5mm jack, and great audio quality to boot (well far better than my previous iPhone 6 anyway). And a whole host of other great features including the sublime OLED screen, which makes me wonder why this this 'Essential' phone even exists.

EmiPrime

This is a pretty great phone. Too bad I am not in the market for one and it doesn't seem to have international distribution anyway.

Kinyou

After the description I expected a cheap but well made smartphone not a $750 premium phone.

And as already mentioned does the lack of a headphone jack kind of go against the design mantra of "playing well with everyone"

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
How you make a phone that's supposed to have choices and options but have no 3.5m option

Qvoth

that doesn't look too bad if you ask me
the magnetic snap on 360 camera feels tacky though, even more when it's equipped on the phone
too expensive for my tastes as well
wtzgU.gif

Izuna

Banned
Not courageous enough. Should have no charging port and just uses NFC, Wireless charging and Bluetooth for everything.

--

This actually looks very nice to me

I have no idea why I need a 10 finger multitouch screen. The cameras, dock, microphones, and other specs sound cool, but the issue is where are all the upgradable hardware?

All I see so far is that 360° camera. And that's cool but what else can I buy so I can brag about my phone costing more than my gaming PC?

I have no idea why I need a 10 finger multitouch screen. The cameras, dock, microphones, and other specs sound cool, but the issue is where are all the upgradable hardware?

All I see so far is that 360° camera. And that's cool but what else can I buy so I can brag about my phone costing more than my gaming PC?

Literally every touch device that is released supports ten points.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mr.Shrugglesツ;238534497 said:
Literally every touch device that is released supports ten points.

Pff, my phone supports 5. Take that! It also cost 80 Euros. Quite happy with it as far as budget phones go tbh.

Fbh

Looks nice for sure and has good specs.

But I read the whole OP and still don't get what's supposed to make it stand out from every other high end Android phone.

"- Premium materials and true craftsmanship shouldn’t be just for the few."
749$ lol

Yeah. I read that part and was like "if this is $400 or $500 it could be cool".
But for $749 it's already part of the high end segment. I guess that with it being 128gb it is a bit cheaper than other flagship models but it's definitely still targeting "the few"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Any phone that doesn't have a 3.5mm jack is essentially useless to me.

Top Bottom