• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

Hydrargyrus

animation30ajb1.gif

i-Lo

Those facebook, twitter links on the vid is fucking annoying. It sometimes goes away and other times remains like ill willed bastard.

So yeah we will have random enemies abotu in the multiplayer.

I have a feeling that this is going to be good.

yep, unless you're gonna have co-op for singleplayer campaign, that 2 person qte kill is from multiplayer. I wonder if you can initiate 2 player qte from 2 player of opposing team. that'd be hilarious, red is in the middle of fighting blue, than random enemies come to interrupt and red and blue work together for a while to beat this enemy first, do a double qte, than stab each other in the back. haha

Irish

You know, that is something that I've always wanted to see incorporated into multiplayer: a third, AI controlled party that the two opposing forces have to conquer by working together for a brief while.

The Lamp

This is a brilliant multiplayer concept and I'm glad they're doing it. The feel of different soldiers working for their gods and multiplayer matches where you kill each other with strong, god-driven powers and the intriguing God of War melee format just sounds amazing. Cannot wait.

The multiplayer has the potential to be something great, and also the potential to be BIG.

The FPS genre is pretty saturated, but there's really nothing quite like what they're doing here, and it's part of an established, popular franchise.

With the right touches, I can see this title's multiplayer REALLY catching on and elevating God of War from a 3-4 million seller to a 5-8 million seller. But they need to play up the leveling up/perk aspects. I don't think strong mechanics are enough these days. You really, truly need those persistent rewards to keep players engaged for a long time.

It would be neat if the best player on the team gets to be the 'clan leader'. I.e., if you did really great last game, then you are awarded to play as Ares, Zeus, etc.. and lead up your clan. If you are the team leader, then you are granted special abilities that help you make tactical decisions for the rest of your team.

I think this would be a really cool twist on things.

Of course the combat needs to be solid and engaging, allowing for enough skill to where players feel rewarded for being 'good', just like in an FPS.

The multiplayer has the potential to be something great, and also the potential to be BIG.

The FPS genre is pretty saturated, but there's really nothing quite like what they're doing here, and it's part of an established, popular franchise.

With the right touches, I can see this title's multiplayer REALLY catching on and elevating God of War from a 3-4 million seller to a 5-8 million seller. But they need to play up the leveling up/perk aspects. I don't think strong mechanics are enough these days. You really, truly need those persistent rewards to keep players engaged for a long time.

It would be neat if the best player on the team gets to be the 'clan leader'. I.e., if you did really great last game, then you are awarded to play as Ares, Zeus, etc.. and lead up your clan. If you are the team leader, then you are granted special abilities that help you make tactical decisions for the rest of your team.

I think this would be a really cool twist on things.

Of course the combat needs to be solid and engaging, allowing for enough skill to where players feel rewarded for being 'good', just like in an FPS.

I don't think they're planning that far ahead though. it felt more like an experiment by them and not something they're betting on to get really big. they only planned 5-7 map, 2 of them smaller scale. that's not really the kind of multiplayer scale that will push the game millions more... I think.

most likely they just hope it delay people from selling the game or at least make some money from online pass. because short single player focused game like GoW get rented or buy used copies a lot more than other lengthier game.

the player who play best is rewarded as the one doing the final brutal kill. I think playing as one of the Gods require a whole different mode of itself, I don't want to play as Ares if he's just gonna be a re-skin of other guys.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
If it's been said before, then ignore me, but that competitive multiplayer gameplay vid really reminds me of Powerstone.

Which is by no means a bad thing. =p

with some of the backlash to the multiplayer (at the beginning of the announcement), I can't help think that maybe they should just made this an unlockable mode after you beat the game and keep it quiet, make it a nice surprise to people who beat the game. you're not gonna see any backlash that way, even if the mp is lacking because people just consider it a bonus mode.

now the mp will have big expectation from us, and if it's lacking in anyway even if it's just a little, it'll be criticized more than it deserve I think.

Drencrom

with some of the backlash to the multiplayer (at the beginning of the announcement), I can't help think that maybe they should just made this an unlockable mode after you beat the game and keep it quiet, make it a nice surprise to people who beat the game. you're not gonna see any backlash that way, even if the mp is lacking because people just consider it a bonus mode.

now the mp will have big expectation from us, and if it's lacking in anyway even if it's just a little, it'll be criticized more than it deserve I think.

This would leak anyway before launch and it was probably for the best to get it out the door early. Even though almost everyone here were irked at first I think many may consider getting this because of the extra longevity with multiplayer. I can't see why the should keep their mouths shut about an addition which is a selling point for a lot of people.

Donos

This was a local minority i think. It was almost the same with Uncharted 2 and it's mp reveal.
People would also just say "meh, another GoW (3.5)" without something drastically different/new in it and the mp looks really good and fun so far. The had to reveal it first. Mp will this give more legs.

Is the psblog stream event available to download or watch again somewhere? It got more footage of the first megaclops reveal and it look even more awesome, you saw the sandstorm slowly revealing the megaclops trashing around. That would make an aweaome gif

Loudninja

Is the psblog stream event available to download or watch again somewhere? It got more footage of the first megaclops reveal and it look even more awesome, you saw the sandstorm slowly revealing the megaclops trashing around. That would make an aweaome gif
Here on the psblog ;)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...r-announcement-live-from-santa-monica-studio/

Not as good idea at all.What if people cant beat the game and just want to try the multiplayer?

We already know about it why hide it?

Loudninja

Damn: https://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy/status/198819067275124739

I think it is just a design choice not an engine or hardware restrictions. No SP-CO, no open world, no big battles or army managing strategies and mechanics, same engine, modified ok but still the same.

I am starting to be convinced that this GOWA is just "another" GOW with MP as a bonus and highlight, NOTHING more.
Thats a bad thing own?I am glad they are trying to turn the game into something different.

We dont need nothing like army managing strategies thats just plain silly.

Edit:The game will have more destruction than GOW3.
https://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy/status/198826242626174978

Loudninja

Well of course you can't have a SINGLE player co-op, that doesn't even make sense.

This doesn't rule out a co-op mode though, just that the main story mode will be singleplayer only. And that makes sense, there is only one Kratos.
Ah yeah I though that was pretty self explanatory.

Also what do you mean does not make sense? games do have story co-op like R3.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Damn: https://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy/status/198819067275124739

I think it is just a design choice not an engine or hardware restrictions. No SP-CO, no open world, no big battles or army managing strategies and mechanics, same engine, modified ok but still the same.

I am starting to be convinced that this GOWA is just "another" GOW with MP as a bonus and highlight, NOTHING more.

Good. You're making me think of Brutal Legend and Dynasty Warriors as points of comparison.

I want a new God of War that feels (atmospherically) like 1 & 2, has improved animations, new attacks and weapons, and some clever ideas in the story or the scenarios.

Loudninja

Good. You're making me think of Brutal Legend and Dynasty Warriors as points of comparison.

I want a new God of War that feels (atmospherically) like 1 & 2, has improved animations, new attacks and weapons, and some clever ideas in the story or the scenarios.
I agree,looks like we going to get most of not all of that.

Same here. I always prefer separate co-op modes. I'm still a bit skeptical about how good competitive will be, despite some good ideas, but co-op could be a lot of fun.
We may get a horde mode, that would be awesome for game like this.

Edit:updated list
-The game is Gow1 length
-Revamped" combat and weapon system
-promptless" mini-games
-New puzzles
-The new composer is Tyler Bates
-New gameplay feature or features
-3D support
-The game will be more like GOW1 and GOW2.
-It will have more color than GOW3.
-Bigger creatures than Polyphemus in SP.
-Variable framerate like pass GOW titles
-Kratos model will be rebuild to reflect a younger version.
-You no longer struggle to open a chest, you just smash it now
-No story mode co-op
-More destruction than GOW3

-The game is Gow1 length
-Revamped" combat and weapon system
-promptless" mini-games
-New puzzles
-The new composer is Tyler Bates
-New gameplay feature or features
-3D support
-The game will be more like GOW1 and GOW2.
-It will have more color than GOW3.
-Bigger creatures than Polyphemus in SP.
-Variable framerate like pass GOW titles
-Kratos model will be rebuild to reflect a younger version.
-No story mode co-op
-More destruction than GOW3
Edit:updated list

https://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy/status/198848027526569984

Drencrom

I hope they include the online horde mode they are "looking into". Thinking about the potential and how it will play out makes me giddy.

Wasn't it only experience chests that you Can smash open?

Kinyou

When I think about it... Smashing chests instead of opening them could be a decision they made because of the multiplayer....

*sigh*

Good thing that there's no campaign co-op though.

Top Bottom