• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Hmm, not happy about FE cooling perfomance from what I've read

What is nvidia.com's return policy? Can I return it for no restocking fee?

The wait for Volta begiiiiiins!

Haha, indeed! I want the 1080 Ti soo bad. The performance is higher and the price is cheaper than I was expecting.

With that said, I'm holding firm that I'm not upgrading from my 980 Ti until the 1180 Ti arrives. Should be an insane performance boost.

Damn... 2.5x tha powa of my 980ti in 4k? Tempting, but I'm not spending $700 on a card when my 980ti just hit the one year old mark for me. I want one though... but I'll wait another year or two.

The wait for Volta begiiiiiins!

VGNzDK7.png

Dave_6

This outta be a pretty massive jump over my 970, especially since I just got a 1440p 144hz monitor. Planning on doing a full upgrade too then I'll hook it up to my 65" LG OLED and see how it does.

Damn... 2.5x tha powa of my 980ti in 4k? Tempting, but I'm not spending $700 on a card when my 980ti just hit the one year old mark for me. I want one though... but I'll wait another year or two.

Well then you sell the 980TI for like $250 or something and then the 1080TI becomes much more intriguing :p

Let's see when EVGA announces their card.

Nvidia store charged my card this morning, so I guess it's shipping today.

If EVGA isn't releasing a card by next week (when my founders editions arrives), I will most likely keep it.

Just need a firm answer as to when we can order partner cards. The founder's edition will be available "everywhere" tomorrow, maybe others will be as well?

At least Nvidia announced their pre-order date and time. Lasted about 45 minutes and it was fairly easy to get an order in.

Not thrilled with the cooling, but I don't think we are going to see crazy overclocking with partner cards. They will be cooler and quieter for sure, but I wouldn't expect much more performance potential.

I bought my 980 almost exactly two years ago. I'm really tempted to buy this card, even though I'm not playing that many particularly demanding PC games these days. And my 980 still seems to be running things just fine (although Hitman got a little frame-y here and there).

jacket320

980ti checking in (posted in the other thread apparently), also updating. Hoping to hear some info regarding partner cards tomorrow! Wife will get the 980ti, which has her placated for now. :p

Knurek

I clicked for the careless mishandling of equipment. Was not disappointed.

linus42ju7.gif

Why...

Also, why would anyone with 980TI or better want to upgrade?
I have 980TI, and the soonest I'll upgrade will be to 1270 (or, realistically speaking, 1360).

I'm so glad 4k is doing well on single cards now. Hopefully this means their next generation of cards will all be easily capable of 4k gaming, even the 1160 for games like Dota2 and Overwatch.

Skyr

Why...

Also, why would anyone with 980TI or better want to upgrade?
I have 980TI, and the soonest I'll upgrade will be to 1270 (or, realistically speaking, 1360).

Really?
If you play on 1080 you absolutely don't need to upgrade. A 980Ti / 1070 is fine to play everything >60fps for now and years to come.

This is for people who play on 1440p with full eye candy or 4k

Well then you sell the 980TI for like $250 or something and then the 1080TI becomes much more intriguing :p

$500 is still a good chunk of money for a single component. Honestly I tend to upgrade my entire PC every 3-5 years. I try to stay ahead of the console curve, but since the 980ti is already leaps and bounds better than any console (including the PS4 Pro and Scorpio), I don't really have much urgency to upgrade just yet.

longdi

Banned
Previously, how much more did custom 1080 overclock over FE? 2-3% more performance?

I wont mind the louder fan since i plan to have a blower and a more compact sized card.

If additional power phases cant help Pascal overclock, i will go with 1080Ti FE since it will be the cheapest.

Yawnny

Responding from someone quoting me on the prev. thread:

I am one of these people that anything below 60 FPS is crap.
I wish I didn't care, but I do.. :(

Maybe crap is a harsh word.. but 30FPS just feels like a sluggish crap basket to me..between 50-59FPS I don't notice as much.. but knowing I'm not hitting 60FPS sort of gets to me.. which is more my own problems I guess lol..

I am wanting all graphics maxed (minus any AA) and at least 60FPS in 4K. That's my current goal.

I thought Nvidia said the new cooling method would be improved over what they were previously using for Founders Edition cards? Between the Linus review and anandtech they both seem to show it being slightly warmer if not the same.

Compsiox

Banned
Responding from someone quoting me on the prev. thread:

I am one of these people that anything below 60 FPS is crap.
I wish I didn't care, but I do.. :(

Maybe crap is a harsh word.. but 30FPS just feels like a sluggish crap basket to me..between 50-59FPS I don't notice as much.. but knowing I'm not hitting 60FPS sort of gets to me.. which is more my own problems I guess lol..

I am wanting all graphics maxed (minus any AA) and at least 60FPS in 4K. That's my current goal.

It´s totally reasonable. The smoothness that 60+FPS provides makes for a better experience.

Tagyhag

So aside from a few bad ports this seems to be the first single GPU that could run all games at 4K/60fps maxed?

We got there so quickly.

longdi

Banned
According to this graph, an OC 1080Ti gives a 8% uptick over stock.
While my custom OC 980Ti is about 12% faster than the stock 980Ti below.

index.php

Skyzard

Banned
4k60 max settings

That's not going to happen with the demanding games according to that 74% number, which is why I'm leaning towards waiting for the next one as I can do 1440p60 with my 980ti 90% of the time.

Wait. Is it 74% improvement at 4K or 2.5x, I'm confused. (vs 980ti)

-EDIT- 2.5x is compared to the Kepler cards, 980ti is maxwell

eVGA owners don't forget about the step-up program, you are able to upgrade from one card to a newer one if its bought within 90 days of the upgrade and you just pay the difference. Unfortunately I guess nowadays they require you to send in your old card first and then they send your old card, thought they used to send your new card first:
http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

According to this graph, an OC 1080Ti gives a 8% uptick over stock.
While my custom OC 980Ti is about 12% faster than the stock 980Ti below.

Wait.... so Pascal cards don't overclock as well as Maxwell? Shiiiiet. Why haven't we heard about this until now?

=P

I thought Nvidia said the new cooling method would be improved over what they were previously using for Founders Edition cards? Between the Linus review and anandtech they both seem to show it being slightly warmer if not the same.

They (Nvidia) were wrong.

Which part? The joke I quoted just means that it's pretty much beating everything in everything, by a large margin.

The final framepacing is a function of the entire software and hardware stack, but the GPU is a big part of that of course.

As a general overview, Techreport has a great article back from 2011 about why frametime measurements are far superior as a performance metric over FPS:
http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

Informative. Thanks!

Aeana

eVGA owners don't forget about the step-up program, you are able to upgrade from one card to a newer one if its bought within 90 days of the upgrade and you just pay the difference. Unfortunately I guess nowadays they require you to send in your old card first and then they send your old card, thought they used to send your new card first:
http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I wonder how much sooner I'd be able to get a 1080 Ti if I bought a 1080 today and initiated a step-up once they become available, than if I just try my luck with new 1080 Ti stock.

Azzurri

Because it isn't enough for 1440p@144 or 4K@60 fps gaming

I have the Acer X34 which is the 1440p ultrwide gsync monitor. WoW literally kills my framerate in large PvP or PvE fights with 980 SLI at midrange settings. WoW is an old game, yes the graphics have been updated, but it's nowhere near games like Witcher 3 or something even newer.

PFD

Haha, indeed! I want the 1080 Ti soo bad. The performance is higher and the price is cheaper than I was expecting.

With that said, I'm holding firm that I'm not upgrading from my 980 Ti until the 1180 Ti arrives. Should be an insane performance boost.

That's 2 years out tho

grendelrt

I wonder how much sooner I'd be able to get a 1080 Ti if I bought a 1080 today and initiated a step-up once they become available, than if I just try my luck with new 1080 Ti stock.

Just wait to buy a 1080ti, the queue for step up can become huge and they always prioritize new sales over step up.

I'm buying the hell out of this, but seriously, why is AMD taking so long with Vega.

Fury X came out one month after the 980 Ti. Since then Nvidia has launched four cards faster than the Fury X.

This generation AMD have been nothing but an embarrassment where we desperately need competition. How long until some IHVs just give up and build their own cores using a massive PowerVR Furian array?

Top Bottom