• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
Episode 3: Shenmue

This week we revisit Shenmue, the high budget, dense open world game that pushed the Dreamcast to it’s limits. Joins us as we revisit the game that gave us QTEs, forklift races, and a never ending search for sailors.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

[

FirewalkR

Interesting, I'll listen to this when I'm home.

I hope eventually you guys talk about the greatest gaming machine ever created, the Amiga. ;)

Just finished Bowser off. Now on to finish the star road and S.P.E.C.I.A.L stages (haven't played these in 15-18 years. Going to need a drink...

RkOwnage

This gaf visual change is disorienting, I'm sure I'll get used to it in a bit. One thing I caught myself doing (which resulted in death a lot) in this game was when I'd fall, I'd try to jump off the walls, like you can do in newer games. I have played a LOT of the newer 2D Mario games, so I guess it's become habit. I'll talk about it more during the podcast tomorrow, but it's one thing I noticed a lot of.

This gaf visual change is disorienting, I'm sure I'll get used to it in a bit. One thing I caught myself doing (which resulted in death a lot) in this game was when I'd fall, I'd try to jump off the walls, like you can do in newer games. I have played a LOT of the newer 2D Mario games, so I guess it's become habit. I'll talk about it more during the podcast tomorrow, but it's one thing I noticed a lot of.

I've had the exact same experience. For all the grief the NSMB series gets, it has introduced some nice ideas to 2D Mario.

Latest Episode:
Episode 2: Super Mario World

(sorry for the mouse clicking in the first half, I had the wrong mic selected) This week we revisit Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The episodes begins with out memories of the SNES's launch, a prerelease experience at the Nintendo Mall Tour, our first experience with the game, and of course what it was like to revisit it. We finish with some discussion on New Super Luigi U, how our gaming tastes have changed, and some retro recommendations.

Next Episode:

It is amazing how detailed the world of Shenmue was in 2000/2001. From the floor boards, to the details in stores and restaurants. Nothing like it at the time.

Neifirst

Just finished listening episodes 0 and 1 - you guys sound as if you've been recording together for months, if not years - a really amazing job. I wish I knew about the Zelda episode ahead of time as I could have contributed a bunch of stories from my 4th grade school year - the race to beat it first in my neighborhood was incredibly intense. I still remember being sword to secrecy about how to reveal the 7th dungeon, how to directly start the 2nd quest by entering "Zelda" as your character name, how you can walk through certain walls without bombing in the 2nd quest, etc. Anyways, keep up the great work and I look forward to more episodes!

Just finished listening episodes 0 and 1 - you guys sound as if you've been recording together for months, if not years - a really amazing job. I wish I knew about the Zelda episode ahead of time as I could have contributed a bunch of stories from my 4th grade school year - the race to beat it first in my neighborhood was incredibly intense. I still remember being sword to secrecy about how to reveal the 7th dungeon, how to directly start the 2nd quest by entering "Zelda" as your character name, how you can walk through certain walls without bombing in the 2nd quest, etc. Anyways, keep up the great work and I look forward to more episodes!

Thanks so much!

Don't forget last weeks episode. Sadly I am on my laptop mic for the first half. Won't happen again.

We have Shenmue this weekend!

Any recommendations for our first N64 game?

I think we will need to stick with what is on Virtual Console.

Maybe Star Fox 64? Can compare to the 3DS version too. IT might be looking into some smaller games for mini episodes. For example: Bubble Bobble or Streets of Rage

I think we will need to stick with what is on Virtual Console.

Maybe Star Fox 64? Can compare to the 3DS version too. IT might be looking into some smaller games for mini episodes. For example: Bubble Bobble or Streets of Rage

Star Fox would be cool. So many great memories of my first Rumble Pak-enabled game!

dmr87

I've listened to most of the Zelda episode and all of Mario World, just started on Ducktales and you are doing great. There is some jank to sort out but that comes with time and experience, background noise etc. I know it's harder to keep it clean when you are doing it online and not local in a room together.

You can for example mute yourselves when you are done talking to keep the noise to a minimum. I don't really care about that personally but just some advice.

I'll list some of my favorite retro games and maybe you'll do some of them in the future, I'll keep it pre Gamecube.
From the top off my head, I'll add more as they come.

Megaman X
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV(1,3)
Turtles in Time
Goldeneye 64
Mario 64
F-Zero X
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Contra III: The Alien Wars

Also, here is a nice review of the Framemeister, so impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqW03NvDXmY

I've listened to most of the Zelda episode and all of Mario World, just started on Ducktales and you are doing great. There is some jank to sort out but that comes with time and experience, background noise etc. I know it's harder to keep it clean when you are doing it online and not local in a room together.

You can for example mute yourselves when you are done talking to keep the noise to a minimum. I don't really care about that personally but just some advice.

I'll list some of my favorite retro games and maybe you'll do some of them in the future, I'll keep it pre Gamecube.
From the top off my head, I'll add more as they come.

Megaman X
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV(1,3)
Turtles in Time
Goldeneye 64
Mario 64
F-Zero X
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Contra III: The Alien Wars

Also, here is a nice review of the Framemeister, so impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqW03NvDXmY

I just has the guy I am staying with in Japan order the XRGB Mini from Amazon.co.jp. Can't wait!

EPisode 2 was the only one with audio issues. Won't happen again.

Apenheul

Finally got around to listening to the first episode. Good stuff, I really enjoyed listening to it and hope that the quality can be maintained in the future. Another podcast will have to make room for this one in my weekly schedule.

Finally got around to listening to the first episode. Good stuff, I really enjoyed listening to it and hope that the quality can be maintained in the future. Another podcast will have to make room for this one in my weekly schedule.

In episode 2 my laptop mic was used by mistake for the first half, other than that we are good. Won't happen again.

I have done over 350 hours of podcasting, I strive for great audio quality.

RkOwnage

Yeah the feedback we are getting is making me want to step it up even more, even though I don't know what "stepping it up" entails, but yeah haha.

Gonna be a long couple of days, haven't been able to start Shenmue, due to work and digging up the DC from storage, hopefully I'll get at least the majority of the game completed in time for podcast, we will see!

Yeah I did a double shift today. One at my real job coaching athletes and then down to the harbor to move crates and race forklifts.

oatmeal

Banned
Really enjoyed Episode 2 (Which is really Episode 3 :)).

I'm not a Shenmue fan (having only played 2 on the Xbox for a couple hours...never played 1 even though I had a lot of interest in it from previews), but I'm still excited to hear your take on it.

I like all three personalities.

I like that it's nice and free flowing, there are 'sections', but you aren't strict about it.

LOVE the stories of how you got your SNES...

Having not heard your next episode, I think the older game stuff will connect with me more.

Still though, I really enjoy this.

Really digging this. I'd love to participate in the future if you do a Final Fantasy III/VI podcast. I could literally talk about that game for the rest of my life. lol

Guys. Shenmue cast is going to be hardcore. One of the three 'casters isn't in love with the game and will reveal his feelings tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Top Bottom