• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Black/Latina Women and Girls are Going Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This is the epitome of alarmist fake news

On one hand it's great that sensationalizing it brings more eyeballs to the two or three girls who might be in actual danger but you don't want a cry wolf situation where the public doesn't give a shit because they don't trust the media

Ponn

Banned
Totally agree with OP. It is really sad that it has become a joke about black and latina women getting ignored in these type of cases compared to white women instead of people being upset or trying to change this. Its not a laughing matter at all and should be taken seriously. I think Florida here is ranked 3rd in human trafficking yet its only mentioned or comes up during major raids or sting operations. They have like a yearly FBI ran sting operation where hundreds are arrested but its the same every year, they keep coming back and don't seem to be making a dent in things.

On one hand it's great that sensationalizing it brings more eyeballs to the two or three girls who might be in actual danger but you don't want a cry wolf situation where the public doesn't give a shit because they don't trust the media

This is an incredibly ignorant post and epitomizes why the article is actually necessary to raise awareness and why people aren't taking this seriously. For christs sake, really, black and latina girls getting kidnapped, abducted and lured into human trafficking is now alarmist and senstionalist? What the hell is wrong with people?

Ninjimbo

I live in a city where this is probably rampant, and it's something I don't think about at all even though I've probably witnessed it just walking out in the street. Now I feel like doing more research.

It's so easy to get lost and end up in the wrong place in Miami. And you can't really trust anybody unfortunately.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This is an incredibly ignorant post and epitomizes why the article is actually necessary to raise awareness and why people aren't taking this seriously. For christs sake, really, black and latina girls getting kidnapped, abducted and lured into human trafficking is now alarmist and senstionalist? What the hell is wrong with people?
The article quotes the Commander of the Youth and Family Division of the police as saying "We have no evidence in any of these cases that anyone was kidnapped or is the victim of sex trafficking" and added that all left their locations voluntarily

I do hope the small number of critically missing young people are found safe and quickly, but this is not a mass kidnapping or something as most posts in this thread assume.

Ponn

Banned
The article quotes the Commander of the Youth and Family Division of the police as saying "We have no evidence in any of these cases that anyone was kidnapped or is the victim of sex trafficking" and added that all left their locations voluntarily

I do hope the small number of critically missing young people are found safe and quickly, but this is not a mass kidnapping or something as most posts in this thread assume.

Small number, uh huh, stop crying wolf people, it doesn't exist till more white girls are involved and it makes bigger news guyz! Like heroin overdoses.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A nationwide sex trafficking investigation that landed 25 people behind bars in Northeast Florida and recovered a juvenile from Jacksonville who was being forced into prostitution is an important annual operation to combat the sex trade, according to the head of the FBI's Jacksonville office.

Operation Cross Country IX recovered 149 sexually exploited children, the youngest of whom was 12 and led to the arrests of more than 150 pimps and other individuals. One of the children is from the Jacksonville area.

This was ONE of the yearly raids and stings they have done. One. Stop trying to minamalize this, its fucking disgusting and you should be fucking ashamed of yourself.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Small number, uh huh, stop crying wolf people, it doesn't exist till more white girls are involved and it makes bigger news guyz! Like heroin overdoses.

This was ONE of the yearly raids and stings they have done. One. Stop trying to minamalize this, its fucking disgusting and you should be fucking ashamed of yourself.
This thread is about the Washington DC situation currently going viral, not about an FBI raid in Florida two years ago

I didn't claim human trafficking doesn't exist, only that it's not what this (the subject of the current thread here) is.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/09/23/missing-persons-children-numbers/16110709/

According to the FBI's numbers, an average of 90,000 people are considered missing in the US at any given time, and I couldn't name a single one, not even the white girls! Most people don't get the Elizabeth Smart treatment.

Brakke

Banned
people aren't taking this seriously

This was ONE of the yearly raids and stings they have done.

So here's the FBI word on that "Operation Cross Country IX" you mentioned, which refers to it as "the ninth and largest such enforcement to date". It quotes the FBI Director and the US Attorney General and the chief executive of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. That raid comprised 73 separate task forces spanning 135 cities. I dunno a whole lot about nationwide law enforcement coordination, but that seems like a pretty major effort to me.

So, who isn't taking "this" (recognizing that the OP isn't even directly about sex trafficking minors) seriously?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
There was a 10 year old black girl who went missing in DC two years ago and was never found. Her abductor was never caught. That absolutely should have been a bigger story nationally and probably would have been if she was white, I think that's probably why the department is going all out on Twitter with these runaways- because even if it's alarmist, if it can prevent another situation like what happened two years ago then it's worth it.

Public won't give a shit either way about Black women. So it is what it is: fucked up.

Goddamn. The racial implications in the system are making me really depressed.

I cannot believe people on the system to find these people can't afford (or care) due the color of the skin.

I remember watching years ago about some women missing, and all the attention was on the white girl, who was abducted alongside a black woman (or women, can't remember). Sickening.

As a police officer in this region (my jurisdiction borders the district), I think I have a a bit to add here. I do think that some of these girls are being abducted, unfortunately. This is a very serious issue, and I agree that more work needs to be done on this.

The part that nobody is taking about is this: the OVERWHELMING majority of these girls who go "missing" are runaways. They are reported as missing, and immediately people think "she was abducted and sold into the sex trade." The amount of young women out committing crimes these days is staggering. I'm telling you from personal, everyday experience. I come into contact with kids from DC hourly. So many kids. So many young girls. 10 years ago it was a "get out of here, really?" kind of thought if a girl committed a robbery for example. These days? We have all female crews out there. Never would have thought it. And like I said before, when they get arrested, more than half are reported as missing. Girls are getting involved in gangs more and more. I see it all the time. MS 13 is HUGE in this area. They recruit girls all the time. Unfortunately these girls are often gang raped and abused for their initiation. It's terrible and sad. Hearing the stories of some of these kids really breaks your heart.

Ponn

Banned
This thread is about the Washington DC situation currently going viral, not about an FBI raid in Florida two years ago

I didn't claim human trafficking doesn't exist, only that it's not what this (the subject of the current thread here) is.

How is this thread not about human trafficking? The connections are talked about right in the op.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/09/23/missing-persons-children-numbers/16110709/

According to the FBI's numbers, an average of 90,000 people are considered missing in the US at any given time, and I couldn't name a single one, not even the white girls! Most people don't get the Elizabeth Smart treatment.

Are you willing to argue black and latina women and girls get equal coverage and effort when found missing, abducted or runaway?

So here's the FBI word on that "Operation Cross Country IX" you mentioned, which refers to it as "the ninth and largest such enforcement to date". It quotes the FBI Director and the US Attorney General and the chief executive of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. That raid comprised 73 separate task forces spanning 135 cities. I dunno a whole lot about nationwide law enforcement coordination, but that seems like a pretty major effort to me.

So, who isn't taking "this" (recognizing that the OP isn't even directly about sex trafficking minors) seriously?

The person I was quoting using minimizing terms like "small number" and "crying wolf"

Also this quote from the article
Officials in D.C. are quick to say that 95% of the cases of disappearing girls and women have been resolved, but the fact remains that of the 5% that haven't, all 37 of the girls and women are black and Latina. This trend is not unique to D.C. Black girls and women represent an outrageously disproportionate percentage of the number of people missing in this country.

This is something that shouldn't be minimalized at all, it is something that can be better prevented with education, more coverage and people paying attention and looking out for these type of things like stewardesses, hotel workers and just general public looking for signs.

MazeHaze

Banned
That's one supposition, but if that were the case, they should not disappear off of the face of the earth. I think that's just a useful excuse, because then they can just claim the women and girls are just gone, out of their jurisdiction, and they don't have to look for them.

sex trafficked women engage a lot of people. if they were out of the country in a place where no one spoke their language, that's one thing. Hundreds of women disappearing when all it takes is one woman to say "help, i've been kidnapped" to bring down the massive sex slavery machine, it doesn't add up.

people find domestically sex trafficked women all the time, and its usually across multi-state lines and due to coercion that turned into a captive situation. It is extremely rare that women are just snatched off of the street and put into that life.

This post is absolutely 10000 percent wrong. Women are snatched off the street and put into that life all the time. They always have someone near them/watching them, and saying "help" usually means death and a threat of harm to their loved ones.

Edit: if you're a 14 year old girl and a pimp says "dont cry for help or we will kill you and your family" do you really think theyte gonna question that? Besides that, if you go to police and say "help I've been forced to be a prostitute" you will probably be charged with a crime.

As a police officer in this region (my jurisdiction borders the district), I think I have a a bit to add here. I do think that some of these girls are being abducted, unfortunately. This is a very serious issue, and I agree that more work needs to be done on this.

The part that nobody is taking about is this: the OVERWHELMING majority of these girls who go "missing" are runaways. They are reported as missing, and immediately people think "she was abducted and sold into the sex trade." The amount of young women out committing crimes these days is staggering. I'm telling you from personal, everyday experience. I come into contact with kids from DC hourly. So many kids. So many young girls. 10 years ago it was a "get out of here, really?" kind of thought if a girl committed a robbery for example. These days? We have all female crews out there. Never would have thought it. And like I said before, when they get arrested, more than half are reported as missing. Girls are getting involved in gangs more and more. I see it all the time. MS 13 is HUGE in this area. They recruit girls all the time. Unfortunately these girls are often gang raped and abused for their initiation. It's terrible and sad. Hearing the stories of some of these kids really breaks your heart.

Man, you aren't kidding. This is killing me. I grew up in the DC/MD area, and hearing this is crushing me. MS13 was really just starting to be a thing when I went to Howard in the 90's, so to hear that it has grown so significantly as to grip what was once a pretty strong community, is awful. I used to romanticize DC to my wife (from LA), reminiscing about how awesome it was to raise young black kids in the DMV communities. Apparently that's no longer the case.

I hadn't heard anything about minority abductions until this thread, so I called up my buddy from Baltimore who said that, yes, it's a big problem there. By his account, people are terrified, and it seemed as if there was a new girl going missing every week.

I don't know if these girls are runaways going down the wrong path or being abducted into dangerous lives, but either scenario is horrific. Something is failing somewhere.

sazzy

Did you even read that article or just link the first thing you found that might refute the topic? Jesus Christ.

Did you read it either? No one is disputing that the girls are missing. Literally that's not the question. Even if there isn't an epidemic, there's still way too fucking many and should be adresssed. And colored girls going missing doesn't get play like the cases mentioned in the OP. I swear sometimes people.

I've noticed lately that people who get up in arms about people not reading articles/news stories really need to start reading articles/news stories.

Its a rather Trumpian level of projection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom