• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reaching new markets: Plans for new subsidiary announced

DoubleTap

How will they deal with all the kangaroos?

LOL - subtle.

dumb_gday_zps5dbfcdb3.jpg

cafemomo

I always thought it was strange that Nintendo´s european main central/ head quarter ....whatever you want to call it...

is in Großostheim in Germany of all places.

....thats like in the middle of nowhere.

I know right.

Why isn't it in France where they actually care about Nintendo to a extent

thomaser

Please, please, please, do the same in Scandinavia. Bergsala needs to be replaced with something much better. Nintendo of Scandinavia next. Please.

I know right.

Why isn't it in France where they actually care about Nintendo to a extent

...I honestly thought more along the lines of the UK because that is where most publishers have their HQs

But I won´t complain, Nintendo´s presence is excellent where I live, the entire WiiU section is as big as the PS3 section in my local Media Markt...despite ...you know....less than stellar sales.

cacildo

I'm pretty sure they already said they were doing that (expanding their presence) with low Wii U prices in Br.

Nope. They´re definitely not. White WiiU costs at least U$800 over here. Dont know about a deluxe version, dont expect Deluxe promotion either, and since nobody knows anything about brasilian eshop, ill just assume it dosent exists

A new WiiU game costs U$74, which, to be fair, is a lot better than what i was expecting. You can find a few of em even as low as U$ 40 (Rayman, Splinter Cell, Nintendoland and LuigiU for exemple)

Yet if you play Nintendoland or Mario U or Luigi U you will se A BILLION brasilian comments on miiverse. Probably, like me, they all got it somewhere else

wrowa

I always thought it was strange that Nintendo´s european main central/ head quarter ....whatever you want to call it...

is in Großostheim in Germany of all places.

....thats like in the middle of nowhere.

It's close to Frankfurt, where a lot of NoE's offices are. They've got warehouses in Großostheim and I don't think it's need to be said that you don't want to have those in expensive cities...

Choosing Europe's biggest country and economy was hardly a bad idea. Especially if you take into account that this was a decision made more than 20 years ago.

Roo

I'm pretty sure they already said they were doing that (expanding their presence) with low Wii U prices in Br.

Thing is... it is not only Brazil.
It goes from Mexico to Argentina. Those prices are excesive.
Gaming it's an expesive hobby as it is but those taxes, man...

A Branch in Mexico or any other country would solve a lot of those problems.

It's close to Frankfurt, where a lot of NoE's offices are. They've got warehouses in Großostheim and I don't think it's need to be said that you don't want to have those in expensive cities...

Choosing Europe's biggest country and economy was hardly a bad idea. Especially if you take into account that this was a decision made more than 20 years ago.

That sounds a lot more reasonable and quite smart.

It just felt strange that Nintendo chose the "unusual approach" (which is kind off their mantra at this point) when the others opened their centrals in the UK.

in a perfect world, nintendo has subsidiaries in mexico, brazil and colombia or peru

Ironjam

Just chiming in with all my fellow scandinavians here and hoping we get our own branch too. It really sucks to never be included in any of the european promotions and events that NOE does.

Same here in Hungary as well, zero Nintendo presence here. Austria is right next to us so hoping for the best...

Oh...so this is just them having more direct presence in more regions.

I thought it was gonna shed some light as to what their QoL products were gonna be.

zsidane

The good thing is that Iwata admitted that they are aware of that and that it's an unsustainable business to assume they can sell their product in not so developed countries at the same price.

This is great news and I hope it's one of their priorities for FY2015. They are far behind Sony and Microsoft who have virtually a presence everywhere (sure it's not always SCE and gaming division but it's still an advantage).

Asd202

Same thing happened to Poland, Stadlbauer has been kicked out because they simply weren't doing their job. Now there gonna be represented by ConQuest and if they fail they will too probably be replaced.

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/poland-europe/

From 1st of March 2014, ConQuest entertainment a.s. will be the Nintendo distributor for the Polish market.

LoL. This is a good thing Nintendo was dead here for years and by dead I mean really DEAD. They were no games and consoles in popular electronics stores like Mediamarkt or Saturn.

It just felt strange that Nintendo chose the "unusual approach" (which is kind off their mantra at this point) when the others opened their centrals in the UK.
The NES might have played a part. It got killed by the master system not to mention Commodore 64. The NES was odd in that the hardware was region locked within the PAL region due to different distributors in some countries (to stop you buying UK hardware form Matel and your games in Germany).

According to the history NOE only existed from June 1990

The good thing is that Iwata admitted that they are aware of that and that it's an unsustainable business to assume they can sell their product in not so developed countries at the same price.

This is great news and I hope it's one of their priorities for FY2015. They are far behind Sony and Microsoft who have virtually a presence everywhere (sure it's not always SCE and gaming division but it's still an advantage).

They can, the problem is, its not the same prices, is 50% - 80% more expensive

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Bergsala must have some kind of deal in place that lasts forever or something. Or Nintendo don't give a fuck about us in Scandinavia.
Bergsala's greatest strength is that it's Nintendo's oldest working partner outside Japan. I've worked with them in retail and I can't say their methods were very satisfying. Their business planning doesn't seem carefully thought out either, much seems to be relying on simply on arbitrariness and path dependence. I'd definitely welcome a new distributor/agent for Scandinavia.

hunnies28

Even though I'm in Mexico I would say that Brazil is a bigger market and needs it more.

But yeah, Nintendo need an Latin America branch.

Roo

Even though I'm in Mexico I would say that Brazil is a bigger market and needs it more.

But yeah, Nintendo need an Latin America branch.

I can't remember where but I read it is actually the biggest Nintendo market in Latin America. Mexico comes in second place and I can't remember who was in third.
My point is, they need a subsidiary there to fix those prices.

Top Bottom