• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Rodriguez: better quality + quantity for Fast 9 female characters or I quit

EulaCapra

From Entertainment Weekly

On the day The Fate of the Furious was released on Digital HD, the franchise has been dealt an ultimatum by one of its biggest stars.

For six Fast & Furious films, Michelle Rodriguez has starred as Letty Ortiz, Dominic Toretto’s (Vin Diesel) badass, ride-or-die love interest. But on Tuesday, the actress announced on Instagram that she’s prepared to leave her highest profile role in the rearview if the next installment doesn’t bring women more into the spotlight.

“F8 is out digitally today, I hope they decide to show some love to the women of the franchise on the next one,” she wrote, along with pictures of her with Diesel and costar Nathalie Emmanuel. “Or I just might have to say goodbye to a loved franchise. It’s been a good ride & Im grateful for the opportunity the fans & studio have provided over the years… One Love.”

In Rodriguez’s refreshingly blunt interview with EW, she shared her frustration with not only women in action films as a whole, but specifically the billion-dollar series she stars in.

“It does weigh heavy on my head — especially in the male-dominated environment that I work in,” she said. “At the end of the day, the only leverage I have as an individual is my participation. That’s the only leverage I ever use with anything. It’s like, look, this doesn’t agree with my ethics, morals. My heart doesn’t feel right doing this in front of millions of people, so I can always oblige myself and depart because money, to me, isn’t as important as my lines that you’re not allowed to cross.”

More quotes from EW where they did an interview with Rodriquez and her past and present female Fast costars including Jordana Brewster and newbie Helen Mirren back in May 2017: (Fate of the Furious spoilers in link)

Where would you like to see the Fast films go from here? How can they be more inclusive of women?

RODRIGUEZ: First and foremost, bringing some more women on the good team, not just bringing an amazing actress to play the bad guy, and having more female camaraderie, having women do things independently outside of what the boys are doing — that is truly the voice of female independence. Now, having girls run around and do a bunch of really cool stuff, that’s great, it’s wonderful, but we never talk to each other. It’s very rare that they even look at each other. I’ve been making movies with Jordana, who plays the sister of Dom Toretto, for 16 years and I can count on one hand how many lines I’ve had to her. I think that’s pathetic and it’s lack of creativity. Guys don’t know what girls talk about. They think that girls just sit around talking about guys and it’s a sad truth of men being the dominant writers in Hollywood. You’re going to see a bunch of really bad movies written by men about women and it’s because they realized, finally, that it makes money, so hopefully, it’s a call to arms. It’s a call to arms to the women to step up and step into fields that they never really considered before, like action.

What else would you like to see more of in terms of women in these movies?

BREWSTER: I think the franchise has continued evolving and growing — so far, so good. Equal screen time is always good. That’s something to aim for, but not as far as different storylines.

MIRREN: Just more [women], with bigger, longer scenes, with a more direct, intrinsic story. It’s something that I’ve been battling with my whole life.

The second link is a long read but a good one with a lot of insight from the other female cast members of the Fast & Furious series.

Say what you will about Rodriguez, at least she has the balls to call out her own multicultural worldwide box-office behemoth on its:
- failure to showcase female camaraderie where there's no female equivalent to the dynamics of Vin/Paul; Rock/Statham; Tyrese/Ludacris; etc.
- casting of Charlize Theron as the Big Bad but still throwing shade that Fate of the Furious still put the females in the background in action scenes.
- ability to have hundreds and hundreds of sexy female extras in the racing scenes yet inability to create meaningful or memorable scenes between two speaking female characters for the past 16 or so years now.
- failure to appease the bloodthirsty Helen Mirren.

It's more of a bro movie for sure. I don't see them making any shifts towards what she wants tbh but it's great that she's asking. Just maybe they listen to her, that would be cool

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
She's not wrong. The female members of F8 got the raw end of the stick. F6 was really good about giving the whole team kick-ass sequences. F8 is so bloated that even Charlize didn't really get to do much of anything, she just barked orders at subordinates on a set. Letty got to tell Dom she wanted a baby...and that's it. Ramsey just rides along. You can tell that egos are starting to shape the franchise cause some people are getting extended sequences just for gags, while other cast members have almost nothing to do.

at first I was assuming she was demanding a better film than the last 7 but oh well. Guess the first will remain the only good one (not regarding if it has more female role time or not)

Will be interesting how they take her demand though

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Seems like a shitty response to someone talking about a very real issue that hurts women on a big scale.

"yeah well who needs you?" isnt how I would react to this issue.

I actually agree with her. Doubt the producers do. She's a non entity in the movies after the first one and when she does return in the new, improved FF series it's as a talking plot point rather than an actualized character.

Speevy

Banned
They're going to retcon Letty sacrificing herself to save Han from the car explosion.

Or maybe those janitor guys slit her throat. Those guys are sneaky.

kunonabi

Its not like she has the talent to do anything worthwhile with a meatier part even if they gave it to her.

Im sure she's got a bunch of sequels to The Assignment lined up if she does bail though.

It's more of a bro movie for sure. I don't see them making any shifts towards what she wants tbh but it's great that she's asking. Just maybe they listen to her, that would be cool

Females > 25 accounted for 24% of domestic sales, -4% from previous film

Females < 25 were 18%, +3% from F7

Definitely still a bro movie. But can they please both groups? I don't have much faith in the studio to do this.

The answer is Gal Gadot. Bring her back. The money that next movie would make...

Also, didn't she kinda have a pretty major role in Fast 6? She certainly did. That said, I completely agree with what she's saying. The females do need more story and action focus. She did have herself some pretty nice moments also in Fast 7.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Introducing Scarlett Johansen as the gang's new Japanese friend.

Daffy Duck

She's not wrong.

I'm kind of growing tired of the ass shots all the time, give these ladies something meaningful to work with.

Totally agree with her. What they pulled with Elena in Fast 8 was some serious bullshit, and they obviously have no idea what to do with Nathalie Emmanuel.

Introduce The Rock's giant Samoan sister, resurrect Giselle, give Charlize Theron a decent role and not just 'another hacker but bad this time'. Get on it.

She's not wrong.

I'm kind of growing tired of the ass shots all the time, give these ladies something meaningful to work with.
Oh. The ass shots aren't going anywhere. They'd oust the Rock before dropping those.

But yeah giving Ramsey more to do than have Ludicris hit on her is more in line with what she is asking for which is totally fair.

Cipher was the main villain in the last one and had a pretty good role but I can see why she wants the main cast of women to be better developed

number11

They had Giselle who everyone loved.. but killed her off. What made it worse is they replaced her with Ramsey, the most pointless character in the franchise.

Sunster

Oh. The ass shots aren't going anywhere. They'd oust the Rock before dropping those.

But yeah giving Ramsey more to do than have Ludicris hit on her is more in line with what she is asking for which is totally fair.

Cipher was the main villain in the last one and had a pretty good role but I can see why she wants the main cast of women to be better developed

I wish they gave Cipher a better reason to be evil.

Let her quit, her acting is like Dwayne Johnson in doom
Maybe if she had as much material to work with as her male counterparts do she could show her acting potential or at least get better at it.

Also, her acting is better than Dwaynes acting in these movies

Acorn

She isn't wrong but I'm not sure she has that kinda pull unless this gets a large amount of fan attention.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I put on Furious 6 earlier this year and I literally couldn't last ten minutes.

Dom starts a new life with some girl, gets news of his long dead ex resurfacing(Michelle!)...and his new flame literally is the voice of reason that convinces him to go chase after her? We had fun, but go after her, I was just a good lay and nothing else to you too apparently! FFS!

Cut right to Paul Walker with a newborn baby. His own wife suddenly acts as the voice of reason pushing him hard to abandon his parental responsibilities to go risk chasing ghosts? Go have fun with your guns, fast cars, and life of crime! I'll be fine with this new baby alone for an undetermined period of time, I insist!

In both cases the men were pushing back knowing full well it was the right thing to do to focus on their current lives and responsibilities. The women were reckless and making the poor decisions in both cases. First ten minutes. Just atrocious.

I can appreciate stupid fun(Fast Five), and I get the need to get the crew back together for this dumb excess spectacle, but I discovered even my limits trying to watch that one. Ignored the franchise since.

Renpatsu

Lately I find myself agreeing with Michelle Rodriguez whenever she gives her opinion on the state of the franchise and she isn't wrong here either. Putting in the work to alleviate these issues would only make the franchise stronger.

I wish they gave Cipher a better reason to be evil.

I dunno, I kind of like "pure" villains. Not everybody needs to be a redeemable sad sack with a tragic backstory (especially in this franchise, where basically every villain turns into a good guy).

I put on Furious 6 earlier this year and I literally couldn't last ten minutes.

Dom starts a new life with some girl, gets news of his long dead ex resurfacing(Michelle!)...and his new flame literally is the voice of reason that convinces him to go chase after her? We had fun, but go after her, I was just a good lay and nothing else to you too apparently! FFS!

Wait 'til you find out what happened to Dom's Brazilian girlfriend Elena in Fast 8:

They retcon it so that Dom knocked her up while they were together, and she had the baby but never told him about it (I guess because being a single mother is so much fun?). Then Charlize Theron kidnaps her and the baby to get leverage over Dom to do her evil deeds, and when Dom doesn't obey she shoots Elena in the head. They literally used the character to give Dom a a baby without having to have Michelle Rodriguez be pregnant for a whole movie, then killed her off when they were done :p

Top Bottom