• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Legere announces new T-Mobile One improvements to counter Verizon "Unlimited"

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

On the current T-Mobile One plans, if you want to stream HD video you have to enable HD passes on a daily basis (this is in addition to paying the extra fee).

Does anyone know if videos will stream in HD by default? Or will they make you go online daily again to enable HD?

Mr. Hyde

I have the T-Mobile 2 lines for 100 plan but this seems to be cheaper due to the taxes, right? There's a new T-Mobile store by my house. I will check it out.

Toki767

On the current T-Mobile One plans, if you want to stream HD video you have to enable HD passes on a daily basis (this is in addition to paying the extra fee).

Does anyone know if videos will stream in HD by default? Or will they make you go online daily again to enable HD?

Apparently this will work the exact same way as it does now. Only it's free to enable now.

Which seems like a stupid hoop to jump through.

Trying to convince my data its worth it to jump from a different Tmobile plan (we have simple choice)

Does anyone know what the hotspot thing is? Can't I already use my phone as a hotspot

dLMN8R

Trying to convince my data its worth it to jump from a different Tmobile plan (we have simple choice)

Does anyone know what the hotspot thing is? Can't I already use my phone as a hotspot

It depends on your plan.

Like I mentioned in the OP my family plan currently gives me 10GB data each for two lines - 7GB of that can be used for tethering.

On T-Mobile One you can use 10GB for tethering instead of just 7GB.

But that's not really the selling point for me. For me, the reason I'll probably switch on Friday is because it's cheaper - $100 including taxes and fees which is $15-20 cheaper than the taxes and fees I'm paying now.

Just called Tmobile to see if i can get things cheaper on my current plan and I ended up saving almost $50 for 5 lines from our current plan. Every single line is now also unlimited everything instead of just two lines. Didn't know they announced a few more changes in the last couple more months lol

NomarTyme

I still love my Cricket plan(Uses At&T services) with 10 gb a month for $55, and starting next month they'll bump it for 12 gb. I thinking about dropping to 8 GB month to save myself 10 bucks. It definitely very competitive right now, but Cricket still has the best service for me at my job.

It depends on your plan.

Like I mentioned in the OP my family plan currently gives me 10GB data each for two lines - 7GB of that can be used for tethering.

On T-Mobile One you can use 10GB for tethering instead of just 7GB.

But that's not really the selling point for me. For me, the reason I'll probably switch on Friday is because it's cheaper - $100 including taxes and fees which is $15-20 cheaper than the taxes and fees I'm paying now.

So my plan has 10 gb each right now. I can tether now from my phone but it looks like it counts against that. So with Tmobile one, it will differentiate that?

Is three lines cheaper? now or just the 2 lines deal?

Mega

Banned
Was T Mobile One really permanently stuck on SD video? I know when I had a regular T Mobile plan it was SD video by default, but I could switch it to HD with a setting in my account. Same with Metro PCS.

edit: I see One was introduced back in August and forced SD video unless you added an upgrade. I was on T Mobile before this silliness was introduced.

So my plan has 10 gb each right now. I can tether now from my phone but it looks like it counts against that. So with Tmobile one, it will differentiate that?

Is three lines cheaper? now or just the 2 lines deal?

Yes, One will give you 10GB purely for tethering and then unlimited data on your phone.

One Plus is unlimited tethering.

Was T Mobile One really permanently stuck on SD video? I know when I had a regular T Mobile plan it was SD video by default, but I could switch it to HD with a setting in my account. Same with Metro PCS.

I think you could switch to HD, but it might not have been free or had other restrictions or at least counted against your data.

cvxfreak

Unlimited 2G is basically no data.

I mean, I'm happy with T-Mobile and won't go back to Verizon anytime soon, but that bullet point is a crock.

I disagree. I've used the free 2G roaming in over 40 countries, and it gets the job done for emails, maps and social media.

Red

That's pretty good. I'm currently on the $40/line deal, 6GB per line. My total bill is $97 with JoD. The one plan wouldn't save me anything but it's a cool deal.

Mortemis

Banned
Man, if I wasn't already on the grandfathered unlimited everything for $100 across 2 lines, I would be all over this. Great deal. :D

I am too, but wouldn't this be a bit better? I'm not sure, but it'd be the same benefits and it'll be a litter cheaper because taxes are included in that $100.

Want confirmation before I do something dumb.

I am too, but wouldn't this be a bit better? I'm not sure, but it'd be the same benefits and it'll be a litter cheaper because taxes are included in that $100.

Want confirmation before I do something dumb.

Me too. On paper it seems like the better deal to jump onto. But I, too, need some kind of confirmation that there isn't some fine print that will make it worse than the 2 lines unlimited everything $100 I'm on.

Hm....switching to this would save me about $40 a month...

I already have one 6gb plan and two 2gb plan for my parents.

Will look into this.

TheZink

I have two unlocked iPhones. Anyone know if I can I just bring my phones and sign up or do I have to get new phones to get the deal?

Lifeline

I have two unlocked iPhones. Anyone know if I can I just bring my phones and sign up or do I have to get new phones to get the deal?

Depends on what carrier you had them on before. I think ATT iphones work on T-Mobile, don't know about Verizon or Sprint.

I have 5 smartphones with unlimited data and 14gb if LTE Hotspot for each line for $200. They will pry that plan from my cold, dead hands.

T Dollarz

Currently on their ONE choice JUMP plan, paying $28 a month towards my iPhone 7 plus lease.

I think switching to this on Friday will save me like $3 in taxes tho lol. Does anybody know if this would affect my phone lease at all?

Cyanity

Banned
Switched to a T-mobile plan from my $50/month Verizon UDP and don't regret it one bit. It's part of a family plan, and we ended up saving hundreds (plural) a month.

Lifeline

I have 5 smartphones with unlimited data and 14gb if LTE Hotspot for each line for $200. They will pry that plan from my cold, dead hands.

Unless you use the extra 4GB of LTE Hotspot, isn't this new plan better? It would be $180 for 5 lines and 10GB of LTE hotspot

Hmm, might have to do some line by line looking at my plan from At&t. On three lines now for 15GB shared and about $135 after taxes. Could potentially drop a line...

Irobot82

Uhm, this is now cheaper than my normal T-Mobile plan. This is so freaking cool. No more using crappy T-1 wifi at work.

Unless you use the extra 4GB of LTE Hotspot, isn't this new plan better? It would be $180 for 5 lines and 10GB of LTE hotspot

Doing the math I believe you are right. If they amount for 180 with all taxes I will switch (taxes are $48 extra so I would be saving a total of $68).

im currently paying $187.29 per month for 4 lines (taxes included) on T-Mobile Simple Choice Unlimited plan.. would switching to the T-Mobile One plan be better and cheaper? or should i just stick with this.

I still love my Cricket plan(Uses At&T services) with 10 gb a month for $55, and starting next month they'll bump it for 12 gb. I thinking about dropping to 8 GB month to save myself 10 bucks. It definitely very competitive right now, but Cricket still has the best service for me at my job.
I have cricket as well but recently we've heard some friends say our phone won't ring or even go to voicemail . Sometime mms messages won't send either. I've had someone send pictures to me when I'm right next to them and I got 2/4 pictures!

So I'm looking to go premium instead of mvno. I tried T-Mobile a long time ago and it sucked but might be better now

border

As far as I can tell, Cricket is the best option around if you want to use AT&T's network....8GB/month for $45 after AutoPay discount. It's a pretty nice mix of a good network and a low price.

The $30 Unlimited T-Mobile prepaid plan is best if you are willing to put up with T-Mobile's network, and don't mind being throttled after 4GB.

Even Verizon prepaid has gotten better -- $50/month for 5GB is pretty good if you must have Verizon's network.

My wife and I are currently on T-Mobile's plan they advertised just over a year ago - $100 for 2 lines with 10GB of high-speed data for each, 7GB tethering, unlimited talk and text, and unlimited usage in Mexico and Canada. But that's $100 + taxes and fees, rather than including the taxes and fees.

We'll definitely be switching to this, saving $10-20 on taxes and fees.

My wife and I are in the same plan. I can't remember if JUMP is included or we pay extra for it. I wonder if it's included with this plan.

I hope this isn't just for new customers. The unlimited tethering would be amazing for me as our home internet is down at least a few weeks out of the year. It was down nearly 3 weeks last month forcing me to use nearly all my tethering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom