• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Indies, third-party games are Vita's focus moving forward

Exactly this. I get some people don't care and would much rather prefer Sony stop supporting the vita with first party titles, but why the hell would third parties support a system that its creators have all but given up on?

The bigger third parties either gave up on Vita a long time ago or were never on board in the first place, and there's nothing Sony could plausibly do at this point to change that. The third parties that are still on board - indies and Japanese niche publishers, mainly - don't appear to be on the verge of abandoning the platform, despite the weak first-party support.

the only reason I keep the thing is for the inevitable homebrew and emu support it will receive once fully cracked. I haven't played a game on it forever and just look at it from across the room with disdain.
My 3DS is on every day, and I still regularly play my PSP, which in contrast to the VITA has a terrific library despite being deemed a failure everywhere but Japan.
VITA means life my ass.

Hellshy.

something has to go. with ps4,ps3,vitra, and now VR. I think their first party would be struggling to support all them. I love my vita but I am glad they are going to have more teams focused on things like PS4 and VR.

Huff

Banned
This is just acknowledgement that things are going to carry on as is. And not to expect a secret naughty dog game on it

SerodD

I was really considering buying a Vita Tv, not anymore.

I wonder if Sony will completely give up on the handheld space after this generation, and just make they're cellphones psnow + crossplay enabled, it would make sense.

ohlawd

I never thought otherwise. It's always the third party games that carry Sony systems.

oh, imo. Should make that clear.

Kyoufu

You can't blame them when high quality games such as Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway bombed. It makes no business sense to put resources into a platform that is only somewhat relevant in one country when they have another platform that has global appeal.

lol are you serious

The memory card criticisms are completely valid. Overpriced propriety garbage.

I agree the criticism was valid, and I think it was a mistake on Sonys part. But it was blown WAY out of proportion by some people. They changed it from the reality of minor annoyance to this world ending deal breaker. Meanwhile they happily pay Apple $100 for an extra 16GB of unremoveable memory. It was to me, an ugly instance of gamer entitlement trumping rational thinking. I actually think PS4 policies were changed because of this.

Don't rock the boat on gamers. One splash of water and they will kill you.

I'm sad that there won't be another really unique and creative game like Tearaway that's made for the handheld. I played it last month and upon completion I changed it to my personal favorite game of 2013. I did not expect it to be as good as it is.

But as long as there are some exclusives still happening and cross-play games that are exclusive to Sony, I'm ok with this.

Salex_

Ditto.

What an absolutely terrible message to send out - "the system's struggling so we're not going to bother supporting it anymore."

Nothing will change the fate of dedicated gaming handhelds. The 3DS won't even sell as much as the PSP did. Look at the 3DS sales last year after that monster lineup and compare it to the previous handhelds. If Sony put out a bunch of big titles like that, it won't really do anything.

It sucks, but it makes sense to put all of their developers on the PS4. At least Japan Studios is doing something for the Vita.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Its amazing to me that the power of crowd whining over memory cards actually killed a fantastic platform. Everyone back to your cell phone gaming or 3DS retro fest.

What a ludicrous comment.

So it wasn't the actual act of making proprietary memory insanely expensive for consumers, it was the people's reactions that followed that very act that screwed over Vita? Please. It's a niche product for a niche market. Most consumers do not want a $250 handheld with massive memory card prices.

Consumers can look further down the aisle and find a much cheaper system with a better gaming library and uses cheap SD cards for memory. For Average Joe Consumer, it's not that hard to see why it didn't sell well.

RM8

People buy/bought console-like games on PSP, DS, 3DS and even mobile. On. Vita too, see Borderlands. This is not the reason why it's mostly an indie machine, the reason is that it's costly to make them for such a small userbase. Pretty much the same reason why Ubi is supposedly waiting for WiiU to grow before supporting it.

I'm sad that there won't be another really unique and creative game like Tearaway that's made for the handheld. I played it last month and upon completion I changed it to my personal favorite game of 2013. I did not expect it to be as good as it is.

But as long as there are some exclusives still happening and cross-play games that are exclusive to Sony, I'm ok with this.

Tearaway has to be the last best Vita game. It will never be ported. My 2013 GOTY too.

I don't have a PS4, I have a PS Vita.

And no, they didn't put up enough quality first party games. The only first party games that had overwhelmingly positive reviews were LBP Vita and Tearaway. None of which were system sellers, unfortunately. Apart from those and Gravity Rush, Sony took a couple of their franchises (for example, Uncharted) and gave them to studios that were not the creators of the franchise.

Sony purposely held back their most talented studios so they could work on PS3 and PS4 games, and let the PS Vita get the leftovers. This of course didn't result in blockbuster, system selling games, so they resorted to what the PS Vita is now known for: ports. Obviously this didn't sell systems as well, so now it's the market's fault because they don't want handheld consoles, right? Oh, but meanwhile, the freaking 3DS is on its way to sell 45 million units. Huh. I wonder what kind of voodoo Nintendo did.

If the market is hostile towards the Vita, then I, as a consumer, EXPECT Sony to fight back that market by pushing out quality software as often as needed until everyone who has the means to get a Vita but doesn't feels like an idiot. It's their system, it's their responsibility. I have every right as a costumer and Vita owner to feel disappointed.

They didn't take enough chances with the system, and this is the result.

Killzone was great. Wipeout was great. Sly 4 was great (multiplat, but still). Uncharted was mediocre, but still - those were first party games, and like you said, they didn't do shit. Now, part of that is marketing, but another part of that is outright lack of support from the gamers - they didn't want those games, and it shows.

The market responded better to ports, third party games, and indies. All those, plus the first party titles were around during the first years, and guess what made the most money?

You can spin it all you like, but most of the games on the Vita that were first party were decent and beyond. Instead, people bought more third party games, and it shows. I don't know what's so hard about this.

Should they have tried a bit more? Probably, yeah, it would have been nice to see some more effort. But at the end of the day, third parties are the money makers, so that's where they are going to focus.

In business, you fight back by playing smart. You find another avenue that makes you money. You can feel disappointed, but lay blame where it should be at in addition to Sony's lackluster marketing approach and dim support of first party (on a lesser level) - the market.

I get that, but still releasing games like gravity rush and wipeout can and would help the system out. I bought the vita just because of Uncharted, gravity rush, and wipeout (unit 13 wasn't bad either). From my understanding they helped with the borderlands 2 release correct? So they will probably be doing more of that than full fledge games from their own studios? That's what frigging sucks.

The point is, GR and Wipeout didn't sell, so it'd be better to focus on areas where the games would sell. You bought a vita for those things, but not enough of your type did.

Kneejerk? I've owned a Vita since launch, this is something I think about a lot. P4G was wonderful but generally speaking I think the PSP has a much stronger library than the Vita ever will in terms of everything but indie games.

PSP also had support from companies still making great games, ala SE, and lots of time to stew. The Vita may not reach the PSP levels of awesome, but it'll sure be close if they continue the approach they are reaching now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm ok with this. Honestly I play indies most on my Vita, as it seems the perfect platform for them. TxK rocks.

ec0ec0

who cares... people here will continue to defend the vita (and sony) just because of how an awesome piece of hardware it is. Like if that was enough...

(i would love to have one to play ps1 games, though)

UberTag

Great to hear that Sony refuses to support a dedicated gaming platform that was the #2 seller in all of Japan last year. That will be the #2 seller in all of Japan THIS year. That they themselves manufacture. That is technically superior to all other dedicated handheld gaming devices. That boasts the suspended functionality feature that was advertised to be included with the PS4 that has yet to materialize.

<golf clap for Sony>

Just think what could have been had they gotten Minecraft and Monster Hunter on this thing sooner.

JPS Kai

The third parties and quirky games are what make me keep playing my vita on a regular basis. That reminds me, I need to pick up that vocaloid rhythm game that just came out (Magical Beat).

mclem

I like indies, a lot; one look at my Steam Library would tell you that. But then, that's the problem, isn't it?

On the one hand, in terms of my gaming preferences I'm fine with this. Indies and Japanese games are what I bought the Vita for, and PC is pretty much the only place where I have bought big budget western games for the past few years.

On the other hand, it is kind of depressing to see Sony basically admit they barely plan to support the Vita as a gaming machine anymore.

PSP also had support from companies still making great games, ala SE, and lots of time to stew. The Vita may not reach the PSP levels of awesome, but it'll sure be close if they continue the approach they are reaching now.
That's part of my point. I am kind of depressed about the state of the Vita in general, not just their first party support for the platform. The PSP had so many amazing games (both Western and Japanese) and quite frankly I just don't see the Vita coming anywhere close. Sure it will still see the occasional niche Japanese game here and there but it just seems like the pace is too far behind the PSP for it to ever have a shot of coming close to the greatness of its predecessor.

Again, I like my Vita. I loved the launch lineup, I enjoyed games like Killzone: Mercenary, Tearaway, P4G, and many of the indies. I'm just sad that Sony's future with handhelds is basically coming to an end before my eyes and a platform with so much potential will almost assuredly never reach half of it.

Loudninja

It's not like they're going to stop funding games, but Sony's first party is mostly western and their work didn't translate well to a handheld
Yeah I think we see more of this:

Big Fest SCE / On The Metal Ltd.
CounterSpy SCE / Dynamighty
Freedom Wars SCE/SCE Japan Studios SHIFT and Dimps
Hohokum SCE / Honeyslug
Invizimals: The Alliance SCE / Novarama
Murasaki Baby SCE / Ovosonico

the only reason I keep the thing is for the inevitable homebrew and emu support it will receive once fully cracked. I haven't played a game on it forever and just look at it from across the room with disdain.
My 3DS is on every day, and I still regularly play my PSP, which in contrast to the VITA has a terrific library despite being deemed a failure everywhere but Japan.
VITA means life my ass.

That's pretty much the only thing that can salvage the system now.

Nothing will change the fact of dedicated gaming handhelds. The 3DS won't even sell as much as the PSP did. Look at the 3DS sales last year after that monster lineup and compare it to the previous handhelds. If Sony put out a bunch of big titles like that, it won't really do anything.

It sucks, but it makes sense to put all of their developers on the PS4. At least Japan Studios is doing something for the Vita.

Maybe but what did Nintendo do? Did they give up on the 3DS or did they continue to devote resources to it? Sure, Nintendo relies more on the portable market but they could have simply started focusing on their next generation portable. Sony gave up without even really trying.

And I don't subscribe to the notion that releasing big titles would do nothing. The PSP never really took off in the west until GTA: LCS was released. Had Sony given even half of the support they gave to the PSP, the vita would almost certainly be doing better.

Valkyria

Banned
Gravity Rush for Ps4 would be a really big stain in my book for Sony. Many people here would cheer because reasons, because in the end that type of game will bomb on PS4.

I am pretty sure SCEE and SCEA are not realeasing anything for 2015, but what about SCEJ?

BadWolf

That's part of my point. I am kind of depressed about the state of the Vita in general, not just their first party support for the platform. The PSP had so many amazing games (both Western and Japanese) and quite frankly I just don't see the Vita coming anywhere close. Sure it will still see the occasional niche Japanese game here and there but it just seems like the pace is too far behind the PSP for it to ever have a shot of coming close to the greatness of its predecessor.

Again, I like my Vita. I loved the launch lineup, I enjoyed games like Killzone: Mercenary, Tearaway, and many of the indies. I'm just sad that Sony's future with handhelds is basically coming to an end before my eyes and a platform with so much potential will almost assuredly never reach half of it.

Big reason PSP had a great library was because Japanese devs were still worth a damn back then.

baekshi

Banned
Yeah I think we see more of this:

Big Fest SCE / On The Metal Ltd.
CounterSpy SCE / Dynamighty
Freedom Wars SCE/SCE Japan Studios SHIFT and Dimps
Hohokum SCE / Honeyslug
Invizimals: The Alliance SCE / Novarama
Murasaki Baby SCE / Ovosonico
Yeah, no WWS is supporting it.

guess who runs that

Yoshida

Huff

Banned
It's like people haven't noticed there have been minimal first party games since the launch lineup came out and bombed hard.

Sorry if you bought one recently hoping for last of us 2.

Ridley327

The writing was definitely on the wall when the announcement went out about all of their first party studios being focused on PS4 development, particularly Sony Bend, who had for many years gone out of their way to stay handheld-focused to keep their team size small.

Sony made some exceedingly poor decisions early on with the Vita, such as the memory card pricing and the massive gaps between the big game releases that, by their very nature, indies can't really bridge the gap for, but I don't think they were of a degree that would have been irreversible. A statement like this, however? Sony's moving on, and they're making sure everyone knows that. They can't put that back in the bottle, even if they have an unlikely change of heart about how they're handling the platform from this point forward.

The Vita deserved a far better parent than the one it has.

Top Bottom