• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Indies, third-party games are Vita's focus moving forward

Oersted

You can't blame them when high quality games such as Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway bombed. It makes no business sense to put resources into a platform that is only somewhat relevant in one country when they have another platform that has global appeal.

Well, they never supported those games. There was like zero marketing. As a matter of fact, I think they stopped marketing with christmas 2012. Shortly after, PS4 took over.

IvorB

It sucks to hear, but it makes sense. They made first party games, no one bought them. So why keep making them?

Uh... because it's their platform and they need to support it?

This is pure bullsh*t from Sony. Last time I get suckered into buying a Sony handheld. What a con.

RM8

Big reason PSP had a great library was because Japanese devs were still worth a damn back then.
And because PSP had a big install base. Vita hasn't sold one tenth of what PSP sold, right? With PSP at ~80m and Vita below 8m.

Ridley327

Gravity Rush for Ps4 would be a really big stain in my book for Sony. Many people here would cheer because reasons, because in the end that type of game will bomb on PS4.

I am pretty sure SCEE and SCEA are not realeasing anything for 2015, but what about SCEJ?

I can't imagine it would sell particularly worse on the PS4 than it would on the Vita. If anything, being on a platform that people want to buy would do wonders for the exposure of the series.

Sony's western efforts seemed half-hearted at best aside from Killzone, Vita doesn't seem to really have a problem getting indie support, I don't see this as a big loss. The system is what it is at this point.

Cornbread78

uugghh, that is definately Sony waiving the white towel for it by basically saying: "well, if they want to make something for it, fine, but we're not going to waste our fu(king money on it"

Thanks Sony....

That is just sad. I like playing indie games on my Vita but god damn it.

"I want to make an Infamous game for the Vita." <- What about that Sony?
You gave up Sony. And WE as Vita owners should show Sony how we feel about it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is all I've really bought for the system anyway, so I'm not too broken hearted. But I'll remember this if they release another handheld. I won't buy it at launch, that's for sure.

BadWolf

And because PSP had a big install base. Vita hasn't sold one tenth of what PSP sold, right? With PSP at ~80m and Vita below 8m.

Sort of goes hand in hand doesn't it? It had more and better games to sell from more companies.

It also didn't have to compete with mobile. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the 3DS probably won't even come close to PSP's numbers.

Prelude.

If that means that SCEA and SCEE will release fewer, if any in SCEA's case, games then it's completely fine, western developers don't know how to make portable games anyway and projects like Tearaway can still happen since the team was minuscule.
SCEJ is currently working on 3 big exclusives so no complaints from me if that's what they're planning.

entremet

They really tried, but people didn't bite. The launch 1st party games were amazing lineup wise. Tearaway bombing was a shame.

coldone

How long before stores stop stocking vita and Indies/3rd parties stop making games for Vita ?.

I dont expect to see any new games made for Vita in 2015. Whoom ever is making it now.. will complete it and move on. This time next year, it will be all over. Vita is in a 12 month life support now.

Shame on you Sony. How difficult will it be to just make 2 games every year and keep the morale up.

ReaperXL7

It's fine with me to he honest. I want portable friendly experiences on my handheld not console games. I'll take Hotline Miami 2 over a watered down Uncharted any day of the week.

I can't blame them when no one buys the first party games that they release on the system, so it makes sense for them to push that support to the system that is actually profitable for them to sustain the momentum.

As long as it continues to get awesome indie games and Japanese support then I'm pretty golden with my Vita.

Well. Color me surprised that they're being this honest about it. Even though every fan of the platform knows this is what's happening (see yesterday's Vita vs Wii U thread) it's nice to put this to rest officially. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed because this IS kind of disappointing - and unprecedented in the industry, no? Has a platform holder ever officially said "we're out" and handed the keys to third party devs other than at true EOL??? Even very late in past hardware cycles, it's never been put so bluntly that I can recall.

At least now people know exactly what the platform is. Let's quit bitching about a lack of console sized releases. I know it's not what was promised Day 1 but for those of us who got in later and cheaper and love indie and retro titles ... It's a fucking great platform.

I still contend that there's a place for second party games. Sony should give a dormant IP and a little programming or marketing support to indie teams who want to work on a high profile project.

And who knows - maybe we'll see the opposite of the Nintendo problem here. Third parties know they have little competition from first party games so it's a safer bet for weird and experimental titles.

This is pure bullsh*t from Sony. Last time I get suckered into buying a Sony handheld. What a con.
Well, you won't get that chance. This is surely the last dedicated handheld from Sony or any company other than Nintendo.

Honestly, the writing was on the wall. For a while they could do cross-platform PS3/Vita titles, but that's not viable now that they're focused on PS4.

Cornbread78

How long before stores stop stocking vita and Indies/3rd parties stop making games for Vita ?.

I dont expect to see any new games made for Vita in 2015. Whoom ever is making it now.. will complete it and move on. This time next year, it will be all over. Vita is in a 12 month life support now.

Shame on you Sony. How difficult will it be to just make 2 games every year and keep the morale up.

Well, Wal-Mart has pretty much already stopped carrying VITA and no longer dedicated any space towards vita games outside of maybe 1 row in some stores...

Yoshida is quickly becoming the spin doctor at sony.

Umm, that was pretty much as straight forward as you can get, by saying they are not focusing on 1st party games..

That is just sad. I like playing indie games on my Vita but god damn it.

"I want to make an Infamous game for the Vita." <- What about that Sony?
You gave up Sony. And WE as Vita owners should show Sony how we feel about it.

I think I'm actually going to create a twitter account just to voice my unhappiness at Yoshida. Nothing inflammatory of course, but they should know that people aren't happy.

Kind of sad to think that ten years ago, Sony would have made sure to create portable spinoffs of Infamous, The Last of Us, Demon Souls, etc. The market's changed but Sony's shifted even more.

Kane1345

Really sad to hear. Loved Tearaway and Killzone mercenary even though they bombed. I really wish Sony loved the Vita as much as I do :(

sub_o

If that means that SCEA and SCEE will release fewer, if any in SCEA's case, games then it's completely fine, western developers don't know how to make portable games anyway and projects like Tearaway can still happen since the team was minuscule.
SCEJ is currently working on 3 big exclusives so no complaints from me if that's what they're planning.

That would be, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, and OreShika 2?

To be honest, I'm more interested with SCEJ stuff.

Ridley327

My Vita never leaves the house. I play games on my iPhone when I'm out.

So, what's the point in having remote play and Playstation Now on the Vita if, by your own admission, it never leaves the house that also houses the consoles that play the games already?

Squishy3

This still doesn't excuse them not mentioning a single first party Vita game at E3 by name. They couldn't have even said "Hey guys, Freedom Wars is out in the US this year!"?

I'm going to laugh if that's released during the holiday blitz like Tearaway was too.

Maedhros

Good, most of their first party is better for consoles anyway. And I bought it for índies and third parties from Japan. No fucks given.

Just want the last few games from their first party studios (Gravity Rush 2) and that's it.

Top Bottom