• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Next MMO (Titan) Will Feature In-Game Advertising/Product Placement

AA1CN.jpg

YES!!

If it's mindless movie posters and stuff, then it will suck. If it's like the sci-fi pics in this thread, that could be awesome provided the setting makes sense.

Jira

So Blizzard is making Second Life, F2P with microtransactions and advertisement? This will be a game for the Facebook generation, not an actual game. They're going to capitalize on that market in such a way that it will crush Zynga in one fell swoop.

They are trying to catch lighting in a bottle again, and if it happens with stuff like this, Titan will make WoW look like amateur hour when it comes to money making.

I doubt that they will be as successful the second time around though.

F2P would be terrible in a Blizzard MMO. If they started doing that they'd prob only patch every six months, recycle assets for 99 percent of new content, start peddling hoards of overpriced nonsense on a cash shop and whine at people "expecting them to have unlimited resources" whenever something they've been promising for years is brought up!

Which is why I never trust them any more (outside of SC2, which I don't play). They seem to live off the legacy rather than live it. It's been shockingly rare to get "Ulduars" at the same time as "Sparkle Ponies" these last 3 years.

So Blizzard is making Second Life, F2P with microtransactions and advertisement? This will be a game for the Facebook generation, not an actual game. They're going to capitalize on that market in such a way that it will crush Zynga in one fell swoop.

Maybe too few of us would actually appreciate and want what they used to make? I dunno, it's just been very blatant that they've changed the direction of their mastery at how they used to design and monetize along with a new target audience you mentioned.

Row

Banned
in game advertising is fine in modern/sci-fi settings if implemented well

personally what others me about it is when games have it, they have too little of it and as such it stands out more. If you have ads everywhere like you do in real-life, it actually looks more natural and is less jarring (if at all)

Loxley

Threads that spiral into conspiracy-theories and doom-saying based on practically zero information are always fun.

F2P would be terrible in a Blizzard MMO. If they started doing that they'd prob only patch every six months, recycle assets for 99 percent of new content, start peddling hoards of overpriced nonsense on a cash shop and whine at people "expecting them to have unlimited resources" whenever something they've been promising for years is brought up!

I dont really think so.
For ads to work you need player to see them.
And to keep players you need content.

Dont provide content player count will drop and so you're demand for ad space.
I hope i got that right. Seems like a simple cause of supply and demand.

Jira

I dont really think so.

Clearly that went right over your head lol.

I dont really think so.

lol joke missed

Vano

Blizzard developing a MMO that emulates real life confirmed, i will love my Calvin Klein shoes that gives me +10 Sexyness.

Slappers Only

This is exactly the sort of thing that "Generation Free" should expect to have delivered to their standards. A bunch of ad-subsidized shit for phone fumblers with the attention span of a golden retreiver with a sucking chestwound.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it is sci-fi, there should a rule: only company logos, nothing else.

Cptkrush

O.k., so I've been thinking this over for about 30 seconds. Their next MMO will not be F2P because they're Blizzard, and Blizzard can get away with the 15 buck a month fee for as long as they want. The only reasonable explanation is that this is a contemporary setting where they want the world to feel as real as possible by including well known images and branding as a means of art instead of advertisement. This would explain the "enhancing the gameplay experience" line

If it is sci-fi, there should a rule: only company logos, nothing else.
Or have somebody on staff that works with the art team to fit any ads into the style of the world and has some kind of editorial authority on whether an ad is even applicable to the setting or not.

It *can* be done right, but nobody seems to be willing to put in any effort.

But one thing is for sure, if I see ads in a game I'm going to expect that the game is not full price, or that it doesn't use the standard high priced monthly fees.

antonz

they said long ago that titan wasn't going to be another "hardcore" MMO but a casual one. I think a lot of people are going to be very upset when titan Is finally revealed.

spirity

I don't know what Titan is about, other than it being Blizzards up and coming MMO. But WoW is one big pop culture reference; there's stuff about X Files, Paris Hilton, LOTR, Napolean Dynamite, Xena, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Silence of the Lambs, Metallica, The Spice Girls... and thats just off the top of my head. Its literally packed full of stuff like that. Every where you turn.

WoW is a huge fucking advert as it is. I'm really not surprised that someone at Acti-Blizz has said "hmm, you know how our developers keep name dropping their favourite products in our game..."

they said long ago that titan wasn't going to be another "hardcore" MMO but a casual one. I think a lot of people are going to be very upset when titan Is finally revealed.

the only things they've said is the game is a new ip, won't be a wow clone, and would have a variety of environment types ranging from sci-fi, post apocalyptic, etc.

Edit: An analyst is the one that said casual not Blizzard. That same dumb ass also said he expected the game to be out in 12-24 months as of June 2011 which obviously isn't remotely close to happening.

Sullen

Pretty sure they had advertising billboards in the OG Planetside, wasn't really that distracting as ar as I remember.

The 'it's called drifting!' fast and furious ads complete with sound and music playing when you were near them weren't distracting? I think you are remembering wrong dude.

what are the chances that this Titan mmo is related to the Titan mmo that ensemble studio was working on?

and tied to these rumors

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gdc-blizzard-in-talks-with-microsoft-about-next-xbox

0. I cannot think any reason why Blizzard would ever want to work on a Halo MMO when they could easily rely on their own IPs or create new ones. And there is no reason why Blizzard would want to split up profits with another company when they proven themselves more than capable to make billions of dollars on their own.

And that whole talking with Microsoft thing was because Blizzard wants to make games for consoles, but they do not want to have to make to major compromises to their titles (like the control that they have with Battle.net).

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

Madrical

Banned
the only things they've said is the game is a new ip, won't be a wow clone, and would have a variety of environment types ranging from sci-fi, post apocalyptic, etc.

Edit: An analyst is the one that said casual not Blizzard. That same dumb ass also said he expected the game to be out in 12-24 months as of June 2011 which obviously isn't remotely close to happening.

June 2013 isn't impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible. Blizzard are obviously infamous for their huge delays, but Titan has been under development for a long time. Could always announce at Blizzcon for a mid 2013 release.

Won't happen though.

My opinion on this? Shit. Keep real life out of my fucking video games. Unless as someone said it's a real world setting, advertising/product placement has no place in video games. But this industry is all about the money nowdays... :(

Blackface

Banned
1. It's going to be Sci-Fi
2. It's going to be an MMOFPS.
3. Many former Bungie employe's are working on it with Blizzard.
4. It will be F2P

All three of these things were stated by the guy who runs mmo-champion. He has not been wrong about one thing Blizzard related in half a decade. I do not think he is wrong about this.

On a side note, 2013 is possible. mmo-champion first leaked information about Titan in 2007, with rumors dating back to 2006. 2013 would mean almost 7 years of development. It is very possible Titan is announced at Blizzcon this year, which many think it will be. Then released holiday 2013. If not Q1 2014. With a beta coming spring 2013.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, they have to announce it at this year's Blizzcon, their Diablo/Warcraft/Starcraft games will probably all be released(or close to be) by then, so they'll have to show something interesting.

1. It's going to be Sci-Fi
2. It's going to be an MMOFPS.
3. Many former Bungie employe's are working on it with Blizzard.
4. It will be F2P

All three of these things were stated by the guy who runs mmo-champion. He has not been wrong about one thing Blizzard related in half a decade. I do not think he is wrong about this.

On a side note, 2013 is possible. mmo-champion first leaked information about Titan in 2007, with rumors dating back to 2006. 2013 would mean almost 7 years of development. It is very possible Titan is announced at Blizzcon this year, which many think it will be. Then released holiday 2013. If not Q1 2014. With a beta coming spring 2013.

The leaked product schedule said Q4 2013, so you're last paragraph is likely. Announced this year at Blizzcon, public/open beta in summer 2013, and release at the end of November 2013.

Keep on thinking about the pizza hut shield in that lucky star ova xD

SWTOR keep on advertising Kotor.

Like all the quests are Taris are, HEY REMEMBER THIS THING THAT HAPPENED????

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guess that subscription model wasn't enough, moar revenue moaaar.

Top Bottom