• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games

This morning I ran across a white-maned one in the Hebra region. I didn't know until reading this thread that they will not attack and just stare you down if you're unarmed, so I tried that and it worked! But when I went to take a photo for the compendium, I accidentally selected another rune and he drew his bow and started firing ice arrows at me.

At first he was firing directly at me so I ducked behind cover and he basically said "lol no" and switching to shooting up. I said out loud "oh shit did he just..." and the arrows started raining down. I was totally caught by surprise.

Sakura

The raining arrow thing is some bullshit. First time I fought one was in the Colosseum, and it was easy enough. I'd hide behind a pillar, it'd lose sight of me, sheath weapon, I attack, rinse and repeat.
Second one was in the open, I tried the same thing again, hide behind a tree. It took out its bow, and I was thinking, what are you even doing there is a tree in the way, shoots up, then 5 seconds later I'm dead.

andymcc

Banned
True fact: I was very drunk when I first did the Zora domain Divine Beast. Initially, I snuck to get the shock arrows. During the "attack the spots" part, I wasted my arrows and had like 2 by the time I got inside. Figured I'd need more. Headed back to the mountain and figured "fuck it, he has to have more" and boy did he. That, boys and girls, was when I learned stasis + works on these bastards.

Haha oh yeah I love that detail. The first time you face a Hinox, you think you can keep shooting his eye until he's dead, but eventually the big idiot figures out your plan.

Ever fight the skeleton Hinox?
His eyeball falls out and he chases after it.

You could ask that for essentially every Zelda 1 enemy. What the hell is a "keese" or a "darknut"?

I always kinda figured that "darknut" was a transliteration goof of "dark knight".

televator

I fucking did it! I took one down. It took an hour of preparation on account of me having weapons that were too weak. Took a strong defense elixir and I got out of the fight without spending a fairy. Shit was intense though. Whew...

Cerium

I just ran into the one in Tabantha Snowfields.

What a badass. Stasis+ did work on him this time so I'm not sure if the one I fought before was special or what. I suck apparently so it took most of my cooldowns and some food to win the fight. On the other hand, the loot is incredible.

I tend to sneak up to them using the mask, and then hit them with
Urbosa's Fury
to stun them. Put on the berserker armor and it takes off more than a third of its health.

While I'm not good enough to pull it off, I really appreciate that the game rewards skilled players by making it possible to take them down with tree branches and shit.

Bulbasaur

Banned
This thread convinced me to actually try and take one on. Did not go well. Stealthed up, hit it with my strongest weapon and barely scratched it. Then got murdered.

shiyrley

Banned
My first dungeon was the Zora one, and when I got told I had to get electric arrows from where the Lynel is, I said fuck it and actually killed him. I would run in circles around a rock, getting away from him and attacking him at every chance, until I was forced to get away from the rock and my new strategy was to headshot him at every chance to do a charged attack while he's stunned. So, I beat him with like 4-5 hearts and crappy weapons / armor. Pretty intense

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ever fight the skeleton Hinox?
His eyeball falls out and he chases after it.

I always kinda figured that "darknut" was a transliteration goof of "dark knight".

You'd think, but no. They're called Tatonakku and not Dakunaito. The most faithful translation is probably Tart Knuckle (compared to Aiannakku, the Japanese name for the Iron Knuckle).

No, I have no idea what a Tart Knuckle is either.

kennyamr

I finally defeated them all within the same Blood Moon.

I admit it's a pretty good mini game on its own and the weapons they drop are pretty sweet... plus I needed the items to level up my Attack-Up set of clothes.

Had a lot of fun.

Thud

You'd think, but no. They're called Tatonakku and not Dakunaito. The most faithful translation is probably Tart Knuckle (compared to Aiannakku, the Japanese name for the Iron Knuckle).

No, I have no idea what a Tart Knuckle is either.

Sounds like a sweet taste of fisting.

hiryu64

The sense of progression in this game is so great. I remember the first time I saw a red one was pants-shittingly terrifying. Trying to sneak around behind a 10 meter wall and then getting 360 no-scope trickshot'd by a Shock Arrow was a humbling moment. Now I'm at the point where every Lynel in the game, save for a very select few, is
silver
. I've got my farming circuit set up and I'm not hurting for weapons anymore.

I actually find them more threatening than actual boss enemies. I feel like they should have boss text and health bars, but the fact that they're presented as a normal-ass enemy that will ruin your shit puts them in the same class as Guardians. I guess I'm okay with that.

NEO0MJ

I recently took on the one in the Coliseum thinking I was ready but nope. Maybe it's time to ditch the Ninja gear, as much as I love it.

One saw me through a giant rock. :\

If the AI on them was smart, it'd probably just sit back, shoot at me with arrows, and charge off whenever I got close, that way I couldn't ever do much damage back, seeing as it can aimbot me with motar-like arrow shots.

Forkball

I fought a white maned one for the first time yesterday.

In a thunderstorm.

You haven't lived until you're sprinting to pick up your great flame blade that flew a hundred feet away from you after being struck by lightning while a Lynel shoots fireballs.

NEO0MJ

wait, they'll leave you alone if you're unarmed?

Yep. If they notice you they'll just stare but won't attack. Get closer and they'll draw their weapons but won't do anything unless you get really close. However, use a ruin or bring out a weapon anywhere near them and they'll immediately attack you.

Dremorak

Banned
Last night I realised they will follow you after they see you. If you stop and turn around they will stop too. I also experienced the whole stare down thing too, super creepy.

Edit:
One saw me through a giant rock. :\

If the AI on them was smart, it'd probably just sit back, shoot at me with arrows, and charge off whenever I got close, that way I couldn't ever do much damage back, seeing as it can aimbot me with motar-like arrow shots.
Great game AI is not about being smart, then it wouldnt be fun to play against. Great game AI is about seeming smart while having weaknesses that are fun to exploit. If they did the smart thing you pretty much wouldnt be able to kill them and they would be a shitty enemy.

He probably heard you on the other side of the rock, not saw you.

Top Bottom