• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Showed the Wrong Version (extra large) of Abigail in the Reveal trailer.

khaaan

Is there a shot of him next to Zangief?

I don't really have a problem with his design though, what do people not like about it? At worst he just comes off as a generic muscly dude but that's not enough for me to get bothered about it.

shaowebb

The ugly weirdo is a trope that some people like, though. What about them?
Contrarian opinions? Those only ever account for a low minority of market interest. Its why people try to gauge trends. To feel out what would bring the most sales. Yeah sure you need variety to penetrate the broader audience gap but SFV isn't needing to target that anymore since they already have roster to cover that demographic. They're needing to try and regenerate mass appeal by creating more stylish cast to respark the interest of much larger demographic outside of the contrarian niche.

Abigail is just poorly timed and a bad idea to spring right now with so many other fighting games dropping megaton character additions. They were needing to put a face up there that stated what the game was becoming to draw in folks away from the competition. Instead they came across as more niche and uncool than ever by putting a niche and uncool character up against a market flooding with stylish cool character expansions.

Think of it like this. SFV went up last in announcements then said "Why play that when you could have THIS." Then they played an ugly joke character making vroom vroom noises acting like a toddler. Not a good way to look.

MrCarter

Haha I knew something was off yesterday. Is there any source he was in V-trig the whole time? Either way he still looks like a great character and after yesterday's demonstration on WSO in London a LOT more people are looking forward to him now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Capcom:
giphy.webp

jufonuk

not tag worthy
maybe he will be a grower and lots of poeple like him later.

TBH rufus took me a while to like.

but maybe Abigail will become a well liked character, just the design at the moment. I don't know if it doesn't fit it just jars me.

Ploid 3.0

I thought it was a prank video, but seeing that back dash stole my heart. I will get this character and maybe stick with him, especially if he has a lot of passive taunts.

Love is final fight look.

This is what I thought was about to be revealed. It didn't look like street fighter for a bit.

jett

D-Member
He's still unappealing to look at.

But the most unappealing part of his design (in the reveal trailer) was his overly grotesque musculature. Now, he's still huge, but this slight reduction does a lot to help his overall proportions. His head doesn't look as tiny, which also was a complaint I read several times. Besides being purposefully ugly, I thought his muscles just looked fucked up in the reveal trailer. It looked wrong. His regular form is a lot more palatable.

I imagine the reactions would have been the same to be honest, but he looked pretty okay yesterday in WSO.

Dehnus

God dammit Capcom.

Nah he looks really fun to use.
Yup people take this shit too seriously. If it was another 12 year old waifu, with huge boobs and plenty of pantyshots, they would have cheered. And I think that is also the issue. The name had the waifuboos thinking it might be one.

fresquito

Contrarian opinions? Those only ever account for a low minority of market interest. Its why people try to gauge trends. To feel out what would bring the most sales. Yeah sure you need variety to penetrate the broader audience gap but SFV isn't needing to target that anymore since they already have roster to cover that demographic. They're needing to try and regenerate mass appeal by creating more stylish cast to respark the interest of much larger demographic outside of the contrarian niche.

Abigail is just poorly timed and a bad idea to spring right now with so many other fighting games dropping megaton character additions. They were needing to put a face up there that stated what the game was becoming to draw in folks away from the competition. Instead they came across as more niche and uncool than ever by putting a niche and uncool character up against a market flooding with stylish cool character expansions.

Think of it like this. SFV went up last in announcements then said "Why play that when you could have THIS." Then they played an ugly joke character making vroom vroom noises acting like a toddler. Not a good way to look.
Maybe stop playing dev simulator and play the game? He looks super fun to play, I couldn't care less about the rest.

Zackat

People want anime waifus or edgy Bros. If it isn't in one of those categories, or someone who is nostalgic, it will get shit on.

After the WSO I am completely sold.

Dali

I think this GIF makes it easy to see the difference and should be in the OP.

VBBHR1Z.gif
I was thinking it was super Mario type shit. That's barely noticeable.

I like the design regardless (except for the tire alt). Only design I still actively hate is FANG, but still he's better than turds like el fuerte and rufus.

FSLink

Banned
Sounds like function talk to me. Take it from a dude who has tried and failed to get folks to follow Arcana Heart because of its tool functions per character and systems.

CHARACTER DESIGN MATTERS GREATLY.

Folks don't give a damn about how it functions if the character doesn't have a design that interests them.
That shit will only excite players if they also like how the character looks. It takes both looks and functions to create a good FEELING Character. With a shit character design folks just feel nothing.

Ugly brawler is an appealing design to some. Including me.

Also please don't preach the function stuff to me like I'm somebody who believes that garbage, I'm well aware and I agree. I argued in a different topic that the Icons trailer looks terrible since it doesn't have any appealing character designs and that character designs are important.

I actually do believe he'd be better off if he was in the base game, and that Capcom made a mistake of going all new characters this season since there's a desire to see old characters (including their designs and ...functions). I also feel that showing the Abigail trailer at EVO was a mistake and they should have showed off something else (SSFV tease if it exists like rumors say...or maybe a Marvel trailer instead)

Servbot24

Banned
Huh? He's nearly the same size either way. Thread makes it sound like Capcom accidentally showed a completely incorrect character model.

Lulubop

Huh? He's nearly the same size either way. Thread makes it sound like Capcom accidentally showed a completely incorrect character model.

Its a big difference and makes him more proportional as a whole.

I wasn't a fan because the arms through everything outta whack

Typical NeoGaf, lol.

A trailer version of a model is slightly different than a later version. Oh no.

Let's turn that common occurrence into a Capcom hate thread, because Gaf.

LolGaf.

I think my comment was fair. The difference in Abigails size is noticeable enough to stop a few sales, I think. Im no Capcom hater. I love many of their SFV designs :)

Ugly brawler is an appealing design to some. Including me.

Also please don't preach the function stuff to me like I'm somebody who believes that garbage, I'm well aware and I agree. I argued in a different topic that the Icons trailer looks terrible since it doesn't have any appealing character designs and that character designs are important.

I actually do believe he'd be better off if he was in the base game, and that Capcom made a mistake of going all new characters this season since there's a desire to see old characters (including their designs and ...functions). I also feel that showing the Abigail trailer at EVO was a mistake and they should have showed off something else (SSFV tease if it exists like rumors say...or maybe a Marvel trailer instead)

I think going with the all new characters (and Akuma) route is fine. New characters are always going to get shit on compared to old favorites, so might as well give them a block by themselves to shine. Imagine if they mixed it up and you went from somebody like Sagat to Abigail or Ed

His character design is noisy but I still dig it. Capcom's character's in SF have always been great overall to me compared to a lot of other fighters.

Puruzi

Banned
In a fighting game, a moveset is one of the most important aspects.

He's supposed to look ugly. I do think his alt costumes look better though.

A fighting game character design should be evaluated in a holistic context taking animation and move set into account. Abigail looked good on the showcase stream from Winner Stays On.

He's ugly (on purpose) but his personality comes through in his gameplay. That's a good design in my book.
Him being ugly on purpose still makes him ugly. If people don't like how he looks, saying he seems fun in response isnt exactly relevant

Pompadour

Tekken 7
Mortal Kombat X
Guilty Gear Xrd
DBZF
I'd even put DOA5 Ultimate ahead of it

It's an improvement on 4 at least.
I'll agree on Xrd, DBZF, and Tekken 7 but I can't abide MKX looking better. That's an ugly game not even counting the terrible animations.

I'll also say SFV has the best animations of any fighter on the list.

shandy706

You're kidding right? SFV is probably the second best looking fighting game this gen after IJ2 graphics wise.

IMO the game is ugly. There's nothing you're going to say that changes that. The stages are full of low-res textures and some bad looking assets.

The characters look ok once the camera zooms way out. I wish they'd go for a more "drawn/comic" look. The game looks so off to me.

I'm not comparing it to 4, I'm comparing it to other current fighters.

Pompadour

Thanks for proving my point. Stylized vs Over-designed.

I know this is a subjective argument but you're insane. SFV's art style is just a non-shitty version of SFIV. If you liked the 2D art of past Street Fighters over V I could understand that but SF4 looks like a proof of concept thrown together for SFV. It's an evolution.

Top Bottom