• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Surfinn

"Sane" - right.

Need new Star Wars in my veins stat.

It's funny, some guy in the premiere shouted (at the end) "See you in two years. Same time, same place"; everyone laughed.

At that time, the movie hadn't been delayed.

How sadly right he'd been.

GhaleonEB

If anyone wants to start a proper production thread with a more encompassing OT for Episode VIII, feel free. Otherwise we'll just roll with this.

-griffy-

Banned
qgsXXByl.png

Point me to the spoiler thread! Can't wait to start reading some stuff.

Knew basically everything about VII going in. It paid off.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I look forward to this being a much darker film

#teamdarthrey

I want this because a) it would be cool and b) it would annoy alot of people who would read way too much into it.

Knew basically everything about VII going in. It paid off.

I don't understand your kind :p but to each his own. Being unspoiled for VII led to some legitimate shock.

Adam Driver is signed on for all three films.

Yeah was kidding, just the idea of Ren trying to fight Luke amuses me as surely he'd be crushed like a bitch. But with more training who knows. I wonder how much of a time gap there's gonna be. DAMN I'm just ready.

Surfinn

Adam Driver is signed on for all three films.

I really can't wait for the Rey / Ren rematch. Watching them both grow and develop in parallel is going to be great.

Really? Didn't know that. Do you have a link? Chance that could possibly mean he's there for flashbacks? Sounds like he's in in for the long haul though.

GhaleonEB

If needed, I can probably redo the OP later.

Sounds good. I didn't want to sign you up for something you didn't want to sign up for, but if you're okay with it, we'll roll on.

I don't think you need to do any major updates to the OP, we just needed a kickoff. My only suggestion is to put some kind of note about spoilers in there. (Tag the hell out of them, basically.)

-griffy-

Banned
Sounds good. I didn't want to sign you up for something you didn't want to sign up for, but if you're okay with it, we'll roll on.

I don't think you need to do any major updates to the OP, we just needed a kickoff. My only suggestion is to put some kind of note about spoilers in there. (Tag the hell out of them, basically.)

TFA spoilers should be fair game though, right? Just spoilers for the unreleased movies should be tagged (AND marked).

Surfinn

Will there be an Ep. 8 spoiler thread? Or are we game to just post tagged spoilers in here until release?

Goddamn. They are quickly getting that money back.

If I understand correctly.. they paid 4B and already made 5B? So they currently have a 1B profit on the deal?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Prediction

Force Ghosts

Flashbacks

Finn Dies

Luke doesnt train Rey

Kylo evolves into the most evil of fuckers we have seen in Star Wars, but Rey thinks she can turn him back in Ep 9.

Phasma turns to the good side.

GhaleonEB

Will there be an Ep. 8 spoiler thread? Or are we game to just post tagged spoilers in here until release?

If I understand correctly.. they paid 4B and already made 5B? So they currently have a 1B profit on the deal?

Spoiler thread please. Black bars make me itch.

How was Episode VII handled? I saw the production thread but avoided the hell out of it, and went in spectacularly blind. I'll follow VIII a bit more closely.
Could just point people for spoiler talk to the general Star Wars production thread.

There's an overall Star Wars production spoiler thread on community, I feel like spoilers should mostly stay there. But stuff that invariably ends up in here should be tagged.

This works.

Mr Cola

How was Episode VII handled? I saw the production thread but avoided the hell out of it, and went in spectacularly blind. I'll follow VIII a bit more closely.

You could talk about officially released materials (Although that had some controversy as cast members spilling certain info was debated because its not official but its widely known and reported)

Spoilers were verboten

After he defeats Hayden in the Sith cave, he'll be fully ready to take on Luke and Rey at the same time. Besides, when a Sith/Jedi is bought to near death and recovers their power level doubles.

They get over 9000 at that point

But yeah, that'd be... interesting. I really hope they find a cool way to get Hayden in, with Johnson directing I'm not worried about acting as I thought Hayden was fine when given decent dialogue, and Johnson is a better director overall.

GhaleonEB

You could talk about officially released materials (Although that had some controversy as cast members spilling certain info was debated because its not official but its widely known and reported)

Spoilers were verboten

Alrighty. Let's keep that tradition alive.

Surfinn

I'm hoping for some much visually darker/interesting looking scenes, like what we got during EP7 SPOILERS:
Han/Kylo's confrontation
. Less light, more varied colors, more balanced contrast. Much closer to what was filmed in ESB (see: Vader/Luke confrontation).

Right. But it's crazy to think we will always have this hype for Star Wars, whether it's production or a product.

Exciting times ahead.. never been a better time to be a SW fan.

Yup. Do I want to see slower, more meaningful pacing focused on character development and memorable dialogue? Yes.

Ill never forget that just a few years ago, I never thought wed get another movie, now its healthier than ever. So awesome.

You can bet your asses that Benicio Del Toro is one of the knights. (Maybe he isn't though and hes a good guy. Always that possibility). I hope Luke has a fight with him!

Also, aren't they re-writing Rian Johnson's script?

injurai

Banned
Yea, filming ended in November of 2014, so ILM had about 11 months to do their job. Not sure how much or little time that is, but I think a year is fairly standard. I believe the Snyder films tend to get 10-12 months of fx work.

Also, ILM has been disappointing me for the last few years. I hope they step their games up for Episode 8.

The fx in 7 were better than some other blockbusters, but I feel like it wasn't quite what I want out of a Star Wars film. Not nearly as cutting edge as I'd like. The believability of some of the indoor spaces really felt off compared to other Star Wars films too, especially in the bases of the First Order.

I'm hoping for some much visually darker/interesting looking scenes, like what we got during EP7 SPOILERS:
Han/Kylo's confrontation
. Less light, more varied colors, more balanced contrast. Much closer to what was filmed in ESB (see: Vader/Luke confrontation).

Cinematography was fucking amazing in TFA. Each time I see the saber duel it just gets more and more visually splendid.

Mr Cola

Also we need a ground rule that ep7 spoilers should not be tagged

Tagging is gonna cause serious issues, it almost did last thread, its silly, you can click tags by accident and worse if you quote someone by mistake you see the spoilers in the reply tab, which happened to me, my fault of course but still.

This is an ep8 thread, anyone coming in here who hasnt seen episode 7 is silly.

GhaleonEB

Han/Kylo's confrontation

I felt like the entire duel at the end fit that bill as well, though it wasn't as stark as in ESB. Was a great setting to showcase using sabers as an actual light source on the characters and environment.

Also we need a ground rule that ep7 spoilers should not be tagged

Tagging is gonna cause serious issues, it almost did last thread, its silly, you can click tags by accident and worse if you quote someone by mistake you see the spoilers in the reply tab, which happened to me, my fault of course but still.

This is an ep8 thread, anyone coming in here who hasnt seen episode 7 is silly.

Aye. I think as a rule we should just settle on no spoiler tags.

Episode 7 spoilers should not be tagged.

Episode 8 spoilers go in the community thread.

Keep it clean.

I think it'll be like New Hope and Empire. The first one introduces the characters, the second expands on them. While Abrams is sometimes criticized for moving fast, I think it's a good quality as I find that films should move, but I think he did a much better job with his character beats and more contemplative scenes than usual;
Rey exploring the destroyer, cooking, putting on the helmet, watching the ship take off and so on for example, I thought, was slow enough with good character building
. After they leave Jakku its pretty breakneck yet it still stopped to explore things and have good character scenes, especially the
lightsaber vision, Finn trying to leave
and so on. I didn't think it lacked that stuff, but the next one will probably have more of it like Empire did compared to New Hope.

All in all I agree though, I had no problem with it in this movie and thought it had a great balance of character moments, development and forward momentum-- which to me makes for a good film. The Empire fan in me though is eager for more. Abrams simply got the ball rolling, which was a pretty rough task in of itself.

Do you know I get chills when I read your recaps. I loved this movie so much it hurts.

Surfinn

Cinematography was fucking amazing in TFA. Each time I see the saber duel it just gets more and more visually splendid.

Right, there was a lot of great cinematography, and I do agree with that. I just feel there were a lot of indoor scenes with too much light/semi bland placement that's absent from the brilliance of the OT.

And please, less light blue, overall. Those are my only real criticisms, visually.

EDIT: sorry for the tags on EP7. Gunna keep em off from here on out.

Also, aren't they re-writing Rian Johnson's script?

I think it was just a final rewrite.

You can bet your asses that Benicio Del Toro is one of the knights. (Maybe he isn't though and hes a good guy. Always that possibility). I hope Luke has a fight with him!

From what Del Toro's said I'm not sure he's an outright villain. I have a feeling he might be part of another faction not attached to the Resistance or the First Order.

Mr Cola

I felt like the entire duel at the end fit that bill as well, though it wasn't as stark as in ESB. Was a great setting to showcase using sabers as an actual light source on the characters and environment.

Keep it clean.

Perfect, if this could go in the OT that would be sound, there were pages dedicated to this discussion last time, which took away from more important talk.

Such as who would get more screen time, Rey or Finn

Oh how i want to relive those discussions, they were always fair and balanced and no-one took it personally :D

Quick

Banned

No worries. I'll clean it up and try to maintain it as much as possible.

Keep it clean.

This is reasonable. I'll put up a warning on the OP for unmarked Episode 7 spoilers.

Right, there was a lot of great cinematography, and I do agree with that. I just feel there were a lot of indoor scenes with too much light/semi bland placement that's absent from the brilliance of the OT.

I wasn't saying you were criticizing the cinematography overall, but I was very impressed with it. Abrams has grown a lot as a filmmaker and some of those scenes we're talking about are in my opinion the best shots in the series, at least rivaling ESB. It had a more theatrical vibe than earlier Abrams stuff, which was pretty solid but you could tell he came from TV roots on stuff like Mission 3. With Super 8 he started to mature but it was trying too much to (purposefully) imitate Spielberg. And that's not a criticism at Super 8, I actually really like it, but it's true.

TFA feels to me like the first film of his with a lot of visual depth. His Star Trek movies were pretty well shot and looked good, but they all have this clean look. Which I'm not against specifically, but it was something I was slightly worried about with this movie but no, it... actually looked like a film. Not that his others don't, just, this one far more so.

Top Bottom