• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Despera

Banned
Takao said:
This makes me wonder, who doesn't hate Capcom right now? This is the list of people they've pissed off:

1) Megaman fans: Cancelling Megaman Legends 3, Megaman: Universe, and not releasing Megaman Battle Network x Star Force in North America.

2) Resident Evil fans: Outsource latest console game to no-name developer known for developing low rent PSP, and PS3 Socom spinoffs. Releasing a 3DS game that has locked saves, and showed no effort in development.

3) RPG fans: Killing Breath of Fire, and not localizing The Last Ranker.

4) Devil May Cry fans: Well, you should know.

5) Fighting game fans: Milking the genre for all its worth once again despite seeing what happened when they did that in the 90s.

6) Ace Attorney fans: For skipping Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

7) Sen Goku Basara fans: For likely not localizing any future titles.

8) Onimusha fans: This series exists?!

9) Monster Hunter fans: Localization of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and the Poka Poka Aillu Village series? LOL No.

I guess Dead Rising fans are cool with them?
You forgot one...

Dino Crisis fans: For releasing the piece of shit that killed the franchise, Dino Crisis 3.

Wow. Seems like some of you guys already hate the 3DS and hope it fails, and others think the first 6 month period of software and sales will indicate the future of the system.

The thing hasn't even been out that long, and we're recording the time of death? If I recall, the DS had a rough first year of it too. Don't get me wrong, it could very well fail, but I just think it's way too early to make a judgment unless you have some axe to grind.

randomkid

ShockingAlberto said:
I bought mine literally only for Ace Attorney vs. Layton. Doesn't mean I'm not going to buy other games, though.

You bought a 3DS at launch for a game that will likely be out in America in 2013? I just don't get this mentality.

I mean, unless you're being kinda facetious, it just makes no sense.

randomkid said:
You bought a 3DS at launch for a game that will likely be out in America in 2013? I just don't get this mentality.

I mean, unless you're being kinda facetious, it just makes no sense.
I buy every system.

I figured I would get this at launch because launches are fun and the money I'd save by waiting for a price drop/revision is generally traded-off for the taste-testing I do before that game I want comes out.

One of my favorite series is Ouendan. I bought the game because I wanted something to play on my DS.

I don't act the way most people do.

daffy

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Wow. Seems like some of you guys already hate the 3DS and hope it fails, and others think the first 6 month period of software and sales will indicate the future of the system.

The thing hasn't even been out that long, and we're recording the time of death? If I recall, the DS had a rough first year of it too. Don't get me wrong, it could very well fail, but I just think it's way too early to make a judgment unless you have some axe to grind.
Some gamers just want to see the world burn.

Or grab responses, whichever.

DR2K

Banned
Uncle Rupee said:
So.... Capcom didn't like the sales figures for Mercenaries?

... probably shouldn't have made a crap game, then. I'm willing to bet way more people were excited for MML3 than a spin-off of a RE mini-game.

Way to fail, Capcom.

To most buyers it was a portable Resident Evil game, it tanked. Hard. If you honestly think a sequel to a Megaman spin off that hasn't been around in a decade is going to do anything near a RE game, then you're not looking at things very logically.

I think with 3DS sales being substandard in general is probably the main factor in this cancellation. With SFIVs mediocre sales and RE:M bombing, I doubt Capcom is in the market to lose money just to appease fans.

Although I'm surprised they're also not going through with that little demo, it might have sparked some interest. Let the fans put their money where their mouths are.

Takao

Banned
zoner said:
I would say Frank West's rehash err sequel is definitely milking

That's going to retail isn't it? Yeah, they're reaching for the utters on that cow now.

Despera said:
You forgot one...

Dino Crisis fans: For releasing the piece of shit that killed the franchise, Dino Crisis 3.

I tried to forget about Dino Crisis.

Izayoi

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I buy every system.

I figured I would get this at launch because launches are fun and the money I'd save by waiting for a price drop/revision is generally traded-off for the taste-testing I do before that game I want comes out.
Stop being reasonable. You know that's not welcome here.

Amir0x

Banned
Sennorin said:
@ShockingAlberto: I certainly agree in that Nintendo failed to make the sales transition from NDS to 3DS. The way in which their new handheld seems to have to build up its reputation from the very scratch is totally non-understandable and shouldn´t have been like that. 3DS should have been to NDS what PS2 was to PS1.

But I cannot find much sympathy for third party developers here. The 249 Dollar price is often thrown in as the end all-argument to this debate, but I don´t agree with that. Price is not the 3DS´ big problem. After all, it is steadily selling above 20k each week in Japan. If price was *the* problem, hardware sales would be in a downwards spiral.
What 3DS is missing, is a high quality software portfolio. And that is where this whole debate gets interesting: Nintendo could have had OoT 3D at launch. They could have quickly followed up with StarFox 64 3D and they could have had one more title ready to bridge the fall/christmas timeframe.

yeah wooo nothing like N64 ports remakes to inflame passions for a NEW platform

as we see from Ocarina of Time, it did nothing to change the fate of 3DS. People want daring original content for the system, not more regurgitated content made on the back of lazy corporates who overprice their system and then market their platforms in stores like this:

2uz732s.jpg

hey guys let's confuse consumers by making them think 3DS is yet another DS revision

that's totally smart and stuff

but yeah it's obviously third parties fault. I mean, because they cancelled Megaman Legends 3 and Saint's Row 3. As if anyone could have got any games out in this time frame that could change what 3DS is currently doing as a third party.

No, once again, it's Nintendo's fault. And once again, they have to fix it. Only will they? I think the 3DS will do fine because Nintendo is going to have Mario Kart, Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I do not think it will come close to DS numbers, however. And I do not think it will be third parties laid to blame.

What if those people over at Capcom are actually marketing GENIUSES?

Fake cancel a game, get fans riled up, compromise with them by releasing the prologue, it sells bajillions, profit. Sneaky sneaky devils you are Capcom. Sneaky devils.

LiK

SwiftSketcher said:
What if Capcom's actually a MARKETING GENIUS?

Fake cancel a game, get fans riled up, compromise with them by releasing the prologue, it sells bajillions, profit. Sneaky sneaky devils you are Capcom. Sneaky devils.

doubt it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
SwiftSketcher said:
What if Capcom's actually a MARKETING GENIUS?

*slap*

IT'S OVER, MAN. WAKE UP TO REALITY.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Takao said:
This makes me wonder, who doesn't hate Capcom right now? This is the list of people they've pissed off:

1) Megaman fans: Cancelling Megaman Legends 3, Megaman: Universe, and not releasing Megaman Battle Network x Star Force in North America.

2) Resident Evil fans: Outsource latest console game to no-name developer known for developing low rent PSP, and PS3 Socom spinoffs. Releasing a 3DS game that has locked saves, and showed no effort in development.

3) RPG fans: Killing Breath of Fire, and not localizing The Last Ranker.

4) Devil May Cry fans: Well, you should know.

5) Fighting game fans: Milking the genre for all its worth once again despite seeing what happened when they did that in the 90s.

6) Ace Attorney fans: For skipping Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

7) Sen Goku Basara fans: For likely not localizing any future titles.

8) Onimusha fans: This series exists?!

9) Monster Hunter fans: Localization of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and the Poka Poka Aillu Village series? LOL No.

I guess Dead Rising fans are cool with them?

At least they're releasing Code Veronica X and RE4 to the PS3 and 360!

i just think i might give up on the 3ds and sell mine. seems like there is not much to look forward to. oh well time to hop on the vita in a few months.

SwiftSketcher said:

Which step is acceptance again?

C-Jo

Takao said:
I don't think that's accurate at all. SSFIV was an outstanding update, and AE... isn't great, but that's due to the twins being OP, not over milking.

Takao

Banned
SwiftSketcher said:

First stage is denial.

DR2K said:
To most buyers it was a portable Resident Evil game, it tanked. Hard. If you honestly think a sequel to a Megaman spin off that hasn't been around in a decade is going to do anything near a RE game, then you're not looking at things very logically.

I think with 3DS sales being substandard in general is probably the main factor in this cancellation. With SFIVs mediocre sales and RE:M bombing, I doubt Capcom is in the market to lose money just to appease fans.

Although I'm surprised they're also not going through with that little demo, it might have sparked some interest. Let the fans put their money where their mouths are.

Assuming it was being made on Framework, they could've literally ported the game to every platform out there in a month. The 3DS had nothing to do with the game getting canned.

mr_chun

Sennorin said:
Elaborate on how this situation is Nintendo´s fault.
Well, we have basically no information to go on except for the fact that the game is canned. So my best guess would be that it was canned for the same reason most games get canned- the publisher doesn't believe that the game will be profitable.

So we ask ourselves, why wouldn't the game be profitable on the 3DS, despite the hype that it could have gotten from the beta/demo to be released on the eShop? A number of things... Capcom could be a piece of shit as indicated by many in this thread... or perhaps they don't have any confidence that the system will perform, and therefore believe that their niche title has no chance.

It's Nintendo's job this early on in the life cycle of the system to instill confidence in not only the investors but also to the people that make games for the system. There is little "data" to go by, so it's 100% up to Nintendo to assure developers and publishers that there will be a place for their games to succeed on the new platform.

So yeah, when we keep getting repeated news that 3rd parties are already withdrawing promised-"big-name" titles for the system this early on, I throw a lot of blame at Nintendo. Ultimately, at this stage in the game, it's their marketing strategies and their communication with other publishers that dramatically affect what games are and aren't made.

DR2K

Banned
Takao said:
Assuming it was being made on Framework, they could've literally ported the game to every platform out there in a month. The 3DS had nothing to do with the game getting canned.

There's no framework on PSP or Vita that I'm aware of. Which would be the most likely candidates for a shift like that.

Key2001

DR2K said:
There's no framework on PSP or Vita that I'm aware of. Which would be the most likely candidates for a shift like that.

The Lost Planet 2 demo shown on the PS Vita (NGP at the time) was running on MT Framework Mobile (which is used for 3DS games).

AZ Greg

Takao said:
Fighting game fans: Milking the genre for all its worth once again despite seeing what happened when they did that in the 90s.

Thanks dude. In a depressing thread like this, you managed to make me laugh. Keep it up!

Takao

Banned
C-Jo said:
I don't think that's accurate at all. SSFIV was an outstanding update, and AE... isn't great, but that's due to the twins being OP, not over milking.

This will be Capcom's fighting game output this generation:

Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
Street Fighter IV
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
Super Street Fighter IV
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Street Fighter x Tekken
Street Fighter III: Online Edition
(Probably) Super Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

You don't think that's just a bit much for one publisher in a single genre in one generation? Sure, that's over a variety of platforms, but this is a genre that hasn't been healthy for a very long time, and such a large amount of titles being released in this short span isn't healthy.

Even Scamco isn't whoring out Tekken, and Soul Calibur that much.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
DR2K said:

Actually, all told, SSF4 3DS did pretty well. It was assuredly profitable.

well isn't this the greatest news I've heard all day.
Now if you don't mind I'm going to go yell at the top of my lungs, and go cry in a corner.

randomkid

ShockingAlberto said:
I buy every system.

One of my favorite series is Ouendan. I bought the game because I wanted something to play on my DS.

I don't act the way most people do.

Taste-testing, that's an original reason at least. I guess I just value money more than videogames.

I've got three or four 3DS games I'm looking forward to but they won't start coming out till late 2012/2013 so that's when I'll get the system.

Sennorin

Banned
mr_chun said:
It's Nintendo's job this early on in the life cycle of the system to instill confidence in not only the investors but also to the people that make games for the system. There is little "data" to go by, so it's 100% up to Nintendo to assure developers and publishers that there will be a place for their games to succeed on the new platform.

So yeah, when we keep getting repeated news that 3rd parties are already withdrawing promised-"big-name" titles for the system this early on, I throw a lot of blame at Nintendo. Ultimately, at this stage in the game, it's their marketing strategies and their communication with other publishers that dramatically affect what games are and aren't made.

You stated what Nintendo´s job in general is, understood. But would you go into detail about that? Because as I see it, the only way Nintendo could have done things differently, would have been by releasing first party-titles. Which is what Nintendo intentionally decided against, to give third party-games room for success.

If you want to criticize Nintendo´s lack of a future outlook into what 3DS is going to offer, then I´ll gladly join you, because I´d criticize that, too. However, when it comes to the current situation, I honestly think that it is third-parties who are to blame. At least, they shouldn´t start canceling games before having given their all.

C-Jo

Takao said:
This will be Capcom's fighting game output this generation:

Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
Street Fighter IV
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
Super Street Fighter IV
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Street Fighter x Tekken
Street Fighter III: Online Edition
(Probably) Super Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

You don't think that's just a bit much for one publisher in a single genre in one generation? Sure, that's over a variety of platforms, but this is a genre that hasn't been healthy for a very long time, and such a large amount of titles being released in this short span isn't healthy.
Well, I don't care for the 3DS/Vita stuff. But other than that, as long as the quality remains high and any/all updates are meaningful, bring it on.

The genre is never going to be a perennial favorite amongst casuals. They might as well do right by their fans while they can.

Edit: As far as I'm concerned, fighters are about the only thing they've done right this generation.

Roto13

Anyone who buys a console for a game that hasn't been greenlit, let alone released, deserves whatever they get, by the way.

mr_chun

Sennorin said:
You stated what Nintendo´s job in general is, understood. But would you go into detail about that? Because as I see it, the only way Nintendo could have done things differently, would have been by releasing first party-titles. Which is what Nintendo intentionally decided against, to give third party-games room for success.

If you want to criticize Nintendo´s lack of a future outlook into what 3DS is going to offer, then I´ll gladly join you, because I´d criticize that, too. However, when it comes to the current situation, I honestly think that it is third-parties who are to blame. At least, they shouldn´t start canceling games before having given their all.
I don't know what they could have done differently, cause I don't work in the industry or for Nintendo so I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. I can only speculate. Whatever it is they're doing, it's not working. Saint's Row, Assassin's Creed, and Mega Man- all big names that have been touted by Nintendo at press conferences as examples of third party support- have been canned. They got the support, and then they lost it. That's all I know. They're doing something wrong, whether it be instilling confidence in their platform, marketing, whatever. They're at fault somewhere.

I don't blame the third parties, even if they didn't give it their all. They're here to make money, not lose it. So if the situation looks bleak, they can the games.

I love how some people are spinning this to blame Nintendo for Capcom's massive fuckups.

Even though this game would have never moved systems (even in JP), it's still a unnecessary trolling to announce it before it was fully greenlit then cancel it. It's like Capcom is seriously trying to see how many people they can make mad. I was never big on Legends, but I feel for everybody that got their hopes up only to get "lol Capcom'd". Sucks, guys.

Really, the only thing that will stop the 3DS from sharing the Wii's fate is for Iwata to identify that the signs are there for this event to repeat and throwing money at third parties.

Like, right now. Actually, a while back during the launch of Zelda would have been more preferable.

There is a VERY small window of opportunity available next year where you will still have time to release a decent product while not coming out to a complete drought. Nintendo needs to get third parties back on board before the already announced list of releases completely dries up.

Now, considering that they've also got the WiiU to be concerned about at the same timeframe, I'm highly doubting that they're going to make it.

BlueWord

Roto13 said:
Anyone who buys a console for a game that hasn't been greenlit, let alone released, deserves whatever they get, by the way.

You can't cancel something that hasn't been greenlit. This game was in development; the whole "greenlit" thing came sometime after the announcement.

Dang, I mean, I still can't believe it. What a load of shit.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Izayoi said:
Watch Phoenix vs. Layton get cancelled too.
It's a Level 5 game, it'll probably just be delayed a few times. I think the only game they were making that's disappeared (as it was) is Ushiro.

Pyccko

Aw, goddammit man. I was actually gonna get a 3DS when this came out. Fudge.
I guess there's still Paper Mario. ;_;

Clunker

Roto13 said:
This this this. You would have thought that people would have learned from the cautionary tale that is the early-generation PS3 loyalist's take on FFXIII.

I really didn't care much for Legends, nor have any hype for it, but it is kind of terrible how the 3DS third-party landscape is shaping up. :(

Takao

Banned
jj984jj said:
It's a Level 5 game, it'll probably just be delayed a few times. I think the only game they were making that's disappeared (as it was) is Ushiro.

There is that Xbox MMO game that was canned entirely. Ushiro at least lives on in The Time Travelers.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Takao said:
There is that Xbox MMO game that was canned entirely. Ushiro at least lives on in The Time Travelers.
Well I mean from Level 5 as a publisher. Well likely see PvL at least two more times at Level 5 Vision events before it comes out.

Rpgmonkey

Saw this coming the moment they said they placed the game's fate in the hands of that prototype thing.

I think Dragon's Dogma looks kinda cool though. :p

Gunloc said:
They should of never even announced the game if it was on such tenuous terms.

This is a colossal blunder.

I don't think they were expecting Inafune to be no longer working there when they announced it and Mega Man Universe.

Top Bottom