• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

vocab

UE3 has the support, and I will bet that the ini files have the line of code set to true just for lulz. It's not like they have to reinvent the wheel with this engine. They are so fucking lazy it's not even funny at this point.

Toodlepip

Neo Member
K&M controls are one of the primary reasons I play the PC versions, so colour me 'not fussed'. Same with Dragon Age 1&2, KotOR, and pretty much every other PC Bioware game.

LiK

More guys are PC gaming on the couch in front of a big TV. A controller is way more comfortable than kb/mouse for that. I dunno why it's not an option.

Jtrizzy

I used my G13 with it, and it works when I map WASD to the joystick. Still a pain in the ass and not wireless. I can't pay $60 for this, which sucks as I've never played a Mass Effect game and I like the demo other than the terrible lip syncing and cheesy writing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This really does kind of suck. Based on how I play the game I'm stuck with the console version. Mouse and keyboard simply isn't going to cut it. :(

gogogow

Which is probably what they want, because the RRP is higher. Also (whisper it) less chance of those people playing a pirated copy.

What about the license fee? Graphically it's very dissapointing, lowres textures, especially the armour, AGAIN. But I rather play this game running at 60fps with SSAA.

Jtrizzy

I don't see how it would be more profitable for them to sell me the console version as opposed to buying it directly from them via Origin. I don't know much about piracy, but if it's really such a problem, why make the port in the first place?

Lime

It was the same in ME2 though. But at least there was an animation for it when you could.

No, it wasn't the same in ME2. As soon as no enemy was left in ME2, you could holster and the FOV changed and you could control the camera in whatever mission you were on.

In ME3, this game state of camera and FOV is unavailable during missions with combat, because the holster animation and ability have been removed because of the 360's memory budget (2-4 mb of RAM).

Wow this is inexcusable. A fucking deal-breaker if there's truly no way to mod it since the file is encrypted. I play almost every game with my 360 wireless controller save for RTS like SC2. Every single-player shooter, RPG, action/adventure with a controller. This is a fucking joke. I'm not getting it until it's patched/modded in, even with that free BF3 deal. Fuck off

daviyoung

Banned
No, it wasn't the same in ME2. As soon as no enemy was left in ME2, you could holster and the FOV changed and you could control the camera in whatever mission you were on.

In ME3, this game state of camera and FOV is unavailable during missions with combat, because the holster animation and ability have been removed because of the 360's memory budget (2-4 mb of RAM).

I see. Will this affect quicksaves too then?

Elginer

You can't holster your weapon???! BWAHAHAHHAA OMG WTF IS THIS CRAP.
BioWare has fallen so low from its roots, it boggles my mind.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow this is inexcusable. A fucking deal-breaker if there's truly no way to mod it since the file is encrypted. I play almost every game with my 360 wireless controller save for RTS like SC2. Every single-player shooter, RPG, action/adventure with a controller. This is a fucking joke. I'm not getting it until it's patched/modded in, even with that free BF3 deal. Fuck off

It probably won't be fully modded in. I think after a year or so someone was able to get it like 80% working in ME2 but certain stuff didn't work right like the power wheel.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't see how it would be more profitable for them to sell me the console version as opposed to buying it directly from them via Origin.

I guess you're right. Then I don't really know what the argument to not include it would be, apart from piracy hypothetically creeping in somewhere (e.g. being afraid that release code is leaked/cracked for one version and subsequently retrofitted to work on the other platforms or something farfetched like that)

edit: that doesn't make any sense.

Jtrizzy

I think this is some misguided idea from within Bioware trying to be hardcore pc gamer, it obviously makes some people happy as evidenced in this thread. Still makes no sense considering the how they are streamlining everything else about the series.

Haunted

Wow, pretty terrible decision. Once again. They've got unanimous feedback that people wanted controller support twice now, and twice they've ignored it.

Time to look for my old XPadder configuration I guess.

I thought that the master race was too good for controllers....

Seems that i was wrong.
Shouldn't be a new feeling for you.

Derrick01

Banned
I think this is some misguided idea from within Bioware trying to be hardcore pc gamer, but that makes no sense considering the how they are streamlining everything else about the series.

I think when even a game like Witcher 2 offers full pad support, before the 360 version was even announced, then no one really has any excuse outside of RTS or MMO genres. Bioware certainly couldn't pull off the hardcore excuse, because Witcher 2 is about as hardcore as wrpgs get anymore.

You can't holster your weapon???! BWAHAHAHHAA OMG WTF IS THIS CRAP.
BioWare has fallen so low from its roots, it boggles my mind.

They already addressed this specifically. It's a console memory limitation issue, wherein they needed the couple of MB that they were using to store both sets of animations (Shepard's movements with gun holstered vs with gun drawn) for other things. They wanted to keep both but felt the tradeoffs were worth it (I have no idea what the extra memory is being used for).

Jtrizzy

Maybe it's actually done to not get "hurr it's dumbed down for consoles, xbox controller preferred method durr" fallout?

exactly. Of course this is pointless, from what I've seen of the pc gamers who have played the first two games in the series, they already feel this way.

Iztli

They already addressed this specifically. It's a console memory limitation issue, wherein they needed the couple of MB that they were using to store both sets of animations (Shepard's movements with gun holstered vs with gun drawn) for other things. They wanted to keep both but felt the tradeoffs were worth it (I have no idea what the extra memory is being used for).

DLC

Wait... I thought they just had no animation for it, not that they removed holstering completely... so you're saying Shephard will constantly be running around with his gun out while on a mission? Holy shit Bioware, holy shit.

I'm glad I lost interest in this series after ME1. Little details like this drive me insane.

Haunted

The sad thing is that this sounds almost believable. :lol

New consoles please.

Jtrizzy

Is that the kind of thing that can be changed in the ini files or modded? The holster/fov thing that is...My guess is that it would be extremely difficult to mod controller support in.

Sucks. But it's not like ME1 or 2 had pad support.

True but they didn't have in-game anti-aliasing either yet BioWare thoughtfully added that to the PC version of Mass Effect 3 (looks pretty decent too). ;)

I find it unbelievable that BioWare have deliberately chosen to ignore controller support in Mass Effect 3 given that it's a third-person shooter first and RPG second. That makes the game a perfect candidate for the controller IMO, heck, the first game was designed for a console and only came to the PC many months later with a redesigned interface (and then that was only after complaints about the 360's own U.I.).

When we get barebones "console ports" like Kingdoms of Amalur on the PC, that offer nothing extra visually or otherwise over the console versions beyond the expected resolution/framerate increases, yet include controller and mouse/keyboard controls that switch seamlessly on the fly along with appropriate HUD changes, I can only include that supporting the controller must something that's really easy to do.

So why do BioWare continue to ignore it? The interface and icons already exist from the 360 version so it shouldn't be too difficult to include those along with the existing PC mouse/keyboard support. If it isn't possible to have them running together then make it something that we can select from the options.

Are they terrified that the few elitist gamers will accuse them of churning out console ports if they see "Press START to play" flashing away on the title screen? Or is the real reason that they want people, who prefer to use controllers in PC games where possible (such as me), to buy the more expensive and technically inferior console version?

I honestly can't understand their reasons for not including both control schemes at this point in 2012. I buy a heck of a lot of PC games (over 30 per year) yet I play almost all of them with a controller. In other words, it is actually rarer to find games that don't support the controller, especially from EA who typically are excellent.

ismk

I can't believe some people are calling no gamepad support unexceptable. I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 perfectly on the keyboard. And anyway, there are ways of mapping the keys on to a gamepad, programs such as Xpadder do a great job of doing this, also, it's free.

SmokyDave

I can't believe some people are calling no gamepad support unexceptable. I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 perfectly on the keyboard. And anyway, there are ways of mapping the keys on to a gamepad, programs such as Xpadder do a great job of doing this, also, it's free.

You dig that you don't represent all PC gamers though, right?

Personally, I couldn't give a shit if they took out M&KB support but I'd sure as hell understand why people were complaining.

Top Bottom