• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Project Rap Rabbit (Parappa x Gitaroo Man creators)

So after asking for 800k to port to xbone (while it cost 1.1kk to *develop* the game on Ps4 and PC and 450k to port to switch) they decided to remove xbox completely?

Fuck them

Camjo-Z

So after asking for 800k to port to xbone (while it cost 1.1kk to *develop* the game on Ps4 and PC and 450k to port to switch) they decided to remove xbox completely?

Fuck them

Xbox hasn't been removed completely, they're just not putting it back on the list of stretch goals until the Switch one comes close to being met.

TBH though I can't imagine there are too many people out there who are fans of this type of niche, distinctly Japanese game but own neither a PC, PS4, or Switch. Ditching the Xbox goal for now in favor of Switch was undoubtedly the smarter move.

Magnet

Neo Member
I don't see any way this campaign can be salvaged at this point since first impressions are so important and 10% for the first couple days is a pretty underwhelming start, but I backed the new early bird tier nonetheless.

Camjo-Z

£20 to get the game early, or pay an extra £10 to have the same thing later.

wow.

"Early bird" is just Kickstarter terminology. Usually it's a limited tier that lets you get the product for a cheaper price, but in this case it's being made available the entire campaign. You don't actually get the game earlier. Also, the normal digital tier for an extra £10 now gives you a digital copy of the soundtrack.

"Early bird" is just Kickstarter terminology. Usually it's a limited tier that lets you get the product for a cheaper price, but in this case it's being made available the entire campaign. You don't actually get the game earlier.

I know, you'd think that was the case but it definitely doesn't read that way. It says you get an early-bird copy of the game, not early-bird pricing.

Camjo-Z

I know, you'd think that was the case but it definitely doesn't read that way. It says you get an early-bird copy of the game, not early-bird pricing.

Well, having read the update where they explicitly state the details, allow me to confirm that it's definitely just early-bird pricing and not an early copy of the game.

Xbox hasn't been removed completely, they're just not putting it back on the list of stretch goals until the Switch one comes close to being met.

TBH though I can't imagine there are too many people out there who are fans of this type of niche, distinctly Japanese game but own neither a PC, PS4, or Switch. Ditching the Xbox goal for now in favor of Switch was undoubtedly the smarter move.
I'm not bitching about putting switch first, but asking almost twice more for a port than the cost for develop on other platforms on a ue4 game nonetheless and then just outright remove it is a fuck you message to Xbox owners.

Camjo-Z

I'm not bitching about putting switch first, but asking almost twice more for a port than the cost for develop on other platforms on a ue4 game nonetheless and then just outright remove it is a fuck you message to Xbox owners.

But... it's not a fuck you. They've outright removed it because if Switch doesn't happen there's no chance of an Xbone version anyway. If Xbone wins the backer survey of what stretch goal they want to see next it'll get re-added - and based on the math, at a guaranteed lower price point than it was at before.

Now we can blame the nintendo fanbase for killing ''Parappa''! First Klonoa, now this. Is there no end to their cruelty?

Anyhoo it is kinda sad how a KS campaing can be totally blundered in the first few days. Even more sad since they have ample data from other projects.

Calm Mind

Now we can blame the nintendo fanbase for killing ''Parappa''! First Klonoa, now this. Is there no end to their cruelty?

Anyhoo it is kinda sad how a KS campaing can be totally blundered in the first few days. Even more sad since they have ample data from other projects.

1a9.gif

But... it's not a fuck you. They've outright removed it because if Switch doesn't happen there's no chance of an Xbone version anyway. If Xbone wins the backer survey of what stretch goal they want to see next it'll get re-added - and based on the math, at a guaranteed lower price point than it was at before.
I get that, but how can the stretch goal be met when they were asking 800k *just* to port the game to xbone? When they said it would cost 1.1m to make the game on 2 platforms and it would take half than that to port to switch?

They just put the xbone goal to say they tried, but it was never going to succeed even if they add it right after the switch version and ask 800k just for porting it.

Huh, interesting. They totally swapped the stretch goals.

Not sure I would've completely removed Xbox off the list though. Too many people going "No one cares about rhythm games on Xbox!" I guess.

Sure they may add it back on later, but would it be right after the Switch version? Or after backer exclusive levels and multiplayer. Not sure why they would just remove it.

I get that, but how can the stretch goal be met when they were asking 800k *just* to port the game to xbone? When they said it would cost 1.1m to make the game on 2 platforms and it would take half than that to port to switch?

They just put the xbone goal to say they tried, but it was never going to succeed even if they add it right after the switch version and ask 800k just for porting it.
But to be honest the stretch goals seems all messed up. 1.1m gets you 7 levels, but to add an extra one it costs 400k more?

Huh, interesting. They totally swapped the stretch goals.

Not sure I would've completely removed Xbox off the list though. Too many people going "No one cares about rhythm games on Xbox!" I guess.

Sure they may add it back on later, but would it be right after the Switch version? Or after backer exclusive levels and multiplayer. Not sure why they would just remove it.
People say this but there's even a y truth to that? I remember EA saying the 360 version was the most lucrative version of Rock Band because other than sales it used to sell a ton of songs.

Of course the style of the games are completely different, and the audience on xbone is smaller than 360, but I don't think it's that different to the point of no one caring about rhythm based games anymore.

Edit: I think I messed up with my replies, a quote from myself and double posting even. sorry XD

DylanEno

I'm not a fan of video game Kickstarter campaigns as I feel they have been pretty inconsistent and this appears that it will be no different, with some awful stretch goals that are now being moved around as if the creators have no sense of what they should have been doing in the first place.

But if people want to throw their money at 6-8 levels of rhythm gameplay, who am I to judge? God speed, Parappa fans! Sorry for expressing such a negative attitude about a project you obviously care quite a bit about. :< I hope it turns out good! Gl

People say this but there's even a y truth to that? I remember EA saying the 360 version was the most lucrative version of Rock Band because other than sales it used to sell a ton of songs.

Of course the style of the games are completely different, and the audience on xbone is smaller than 360, but I don't think it's that different to the point of no one caring about rhythm based games anymore.

Edit: I think I messed up with my replies, a quote from myself and double posting even. sorry XD

It's not just the rythm aspect of it, as you mentioned the styles are totally different. And that matters a lot, like there's probably something like not even a 1% overlap in the audience for this vs Rockband and its ilk. And let's be honest, the audience for this will likely already be quite small, to the point where I can't see them reaching their funding goal even.

Is it just me, or do their physical rewards seem... really cheap? I don't mean quality-wise, but rather the price you pay vs. the amount of stuff you get? I hope they aren't backing themselves into a corner there.

octopiggy

So what is likely to happen if the pledges continue at this rate. They just won't make the game? Is that how Kickstarter usually works?

Shantom

So what is likely to happen if the pledges continue at this rate. They just won't make the game? Is that how Kickstarter usually works?

If the project doesn't reach the goal they don't receive any of the money and so they'd need to find funding from elsewhere to develop the game.

Technically, if they keep up the current pace (50,000$ a day), they will probably hit their goal ten days before the deadline. However, if they don't hit their goal, there is still a chance we'll see this game down the road. It's just not guaranteed, and would take longer to develop.

Please for the love of god don't back this shit
Knock it off. Don't back it if you don't want to, but if people want this game, it's none of your business.

dickroach

alright, so they're at 11% of their goal after two days. this thing is deader than dead based off of previous similar kickstarters. the second day is usually the strongest day. yesterday the whole thing went up about $20k.
gg

Technically, if they keep up the current pace (50,000$ a day), they will probably hit their goal ten days before the deadline.

kickstarters don't flow that way. and besides, they got about 95k the first day and 25k the second day.

It's not just the rythm aspect of it, as you mentioned the styles are totally different. And that matters a lot, like there's probably something like not even a 1% overlap in the audience for this vs Rockband and its ilk. And let's be honest, the audience for this will likely already be quite small, to the point where I can't see them reaching their funding goal even.
I get that. But none of that justifies asking 800k just for a port. That's my gripe.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Please for the love of god don't back this shit
The fuck is this shit?
Backed so hard cause this game needs to exist.

Also much more reasonable goals now instead. Yet we'll always have people bitching about something regardless.

DylanEno

Technically, if they keep up the current pace (50,000$ a day), they will probably hit their goal ten days before the deadline. However, if they don't hit their goal, there is still a chance we'll see this game down the road. It's just not guaranteed, and would take longer to develop.

Knock it off. Don't back it if you don't want to, but if people want this game, it's none of your business.
Fair enough. Enjoy your game!

Camjo-Z

Is it just me, or do their physical rewards seem... really cheap? I don't mean quality-wise, but rather the price you pay vs. the amount of stuff you get? I hope they aren't backing themselves into a corner there.

People had the same concern about the Toejam & Earl Kickstarter and they had no problem shipping out high-quality rewards with half the budget of this campaign. PQube seems to be no stranger to making special edition bundles with lots of swag for games they've published, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I get that. But none of that justifies asking 800k just for a port. That's my gripe.

What can I say? They ran the numbers and apparently determined that's what it would cost to make an Xbone version. All we have to go on is their word, so if you don't believe them, don't back the project.

What can I say? They ran the numbers and apparently determined that's what it would cost to make an Xbone version. All we have to go on is their word, so if you don't believe them, don't back the project.

That's exactly what I'm doing, but that's what I'm ranting about, that's basically a fuck you all to xbox owners when you get twice to port your game to the platform than you ask for all others.

NEO0MJ

I want to back this but man they're really not inspiring confidence. Making big changes so suddenly and having only concept art to show brings to mind some not to successful campaigns.

alright, so they're at 11% of their goal after two days. this thing is deader than dead based off of previous similar kickstarters. the second day is usually the strongest day. yesterday the whole thing went up about $20k.
gg

The guys should have done some research and maybe obtained the tiniest amount of feedback from their potential market before blundering into this campaign the way they have. Sorta seems like they put no thought into it at all, and just assumed it'd sell based on the people behind it, but backers have been burned enough times now that they need way more than that.

If they'd launched with well-researched stretch goals and the tiniest bit of gameplay footage, maybe some of the music, they'd be half way there by now. Instead there's no saving it, the damage is done.

Still gonna be keeping my eye on this game just in case, but I wonder if it'll ever exist now.

Osukaa

Damn I know they're following the money trail for that expanding Switch market that will probably purchase the game more than XB1 owners but it's sorta a slap in the face to change the goals after announcing it for XB1 before the Switch, then go and reverse it after only a day or 2.

Business wise as far as sales I think they made a decision that would benefit them but who knows if the somewhat bad press will be worth it in the end and affect the Kickstarter campaign. I really hope this game meets its goals.

Camjo-Z

That's exactly what I'm doing, but that's what I'm ranting about, that's basically a fuck you all to xbox owners when you get twice to port your game to the platform than you ask for all others.

Sorry, but giving an honest estimate of what they believe is the cost to port this game to Xbone can in no way be seen as a "fuck you" unless you're just looking for drama, in the same way that the original $5m Switch goal came from a desire to include more game features before ports.

Damn I know they're following the money trail for that expanding Switch market that will probably purchase the game more than XB1 owners but it's sorta a slap in the face to change the goals after announcing it for XB1 before the Switch, then go and reverse it after only a day or 2.

Business wise as far as sales I think they made a decision that would benefit them but who knows if the somewhat bad press will be worth it in the end and affect the Kickstarter campaign. I really hope this game meets its goals.

Serious question - who are these Xbone owners who saw the campaign barely making it past $100k in the first two days, thought "yeah that $3.1m Xbone port's looking likely!", and will now be outraged at this bait and Switch (pun intended)? I really don't see any bad press coming from this move.

NEO0MJ

The guys should have done some research and maybe obtained the tiniest amount of feedback from their potential market before blundering into this campaign the way they have. Sorta seems like they put no thought into it at all, and just assumed it'd sell based on the people behind it, but backers have been burned enough times now that they need way more than that.

If they'd launched with well-researched stretch goals and the tiniest bit of gameplay footage, maybe some of the music, they'd be half way there by now. Instead there's no saving it, the damage is done.

Still gonna be keeping my eye on this game just in case, but I wonder if it'll ever exist now.

Pretty much. You only ever get one chance at these things and it's hard to come back from a fumble. I remember one campaign, The Fall of Nemesis, that failed in its initial campaign and then came back with a lower goal and while it was achieved in the end it was simply not enough to complete the game's development and was suspended late last year.

Yukinari

Not even showing an early build or some music would make me gain their trust at this point. I praised Yooka Laylee's kickstarter cause it showed the game off.

Not falling for it anymore until i see a finished product.

Top Bottom